6 minutes ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Twilight getting a book to help her out or making reference to it crafted her character if you ask me so it's fine here. She been about books since day 1 and they haven't gotten away from it.

Yes, but not to the point she wholly depends upon a book to provide a solution for the problems she's facing. While she does use book resources to help her out in solving problems, she's shown plenty of self initiative on her own due to how brainy and quick witted Twilight is to finding a solution on the spot. Here it was just done for the sake of ensuring Rarity and AJ can help remove that tree without Twilight the magical unicorn to help out cause her telekinesis alone can remove that tree.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

Well I think it's fine here but if this was a later season episode you would have more of a case. She doesn't do anymore or as often now in the newer seasons.

Only issue is that I recall this and S5's Hoofields and McColts episode being the only time she uses a book to tell her on what to do and considering how it was used for Plot induced stupidity I do feel that criticism for it has merit.

• Like 1

To let you folks now that I've decided to alter the grade on Look before you sleep. The score and review will reflect on that change.

• Like 1

Bridle Gossip is the 9th episode of Season 1 and of FIM series. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers and storboarded by Sherann Johnson and Sam To.

Other than a play on the words idle gossip, Spike was also to have originally called Twilight 'Droopi-Horn' as a pun for her poison joke condition. Not much else to talk about this episode episode's background information.

Twilight and Spike returns to Ponyville to realize that something is amiss with the folks there as no one is outside when a stranger comes to the village for her own needs.

Positives:

1. We're introduced to Zecora in the series. One thing to note about the episode is that this is the first episode in the series where we're introduced to our first and only zebra in Zecora. For me, she is an interesting character whose rhymic speech mannerisms, who she is and from, and the fact she has a connection to one of the characters in Applebloom that I will get to in a moment.

2. This is also our first episode where we do see Applebloom and Zecora working together on potions. One aspect to Applebloom's character that we will see more of in the later seasons is potion making. In this episode, this is our first in seeing Applebloom and Zecora working together on making potions, or at least where the got the inspiration to develop Applebloom's character further in the series. This is also the first where Applebloom is given a character in that she wishes to prove that she is capable of handling things on her own to her older sister and she's equally stubborn about it to prove it.

3. I did like the scene where the mane 6 were struck by their 'poison joke' versions of themselves. For humor sakes, I did liked this scene there simply to see and laugh at the mane 6 struggling to come to an understanding for what was happening, most calling it a curse while Twilight herself believing it to be something else still as she adamantly refuses. My personal favorite of course was Flutterguy just to hear a deep male voice out of the normally soft spoken Fluttershy is funny on it's own though the others have their own moments of funny too.

4. Evil Enchantress is a short but catchy song. While not an especially great one, it does at least have that catchy tone, Pinkie's antics, AJ being afraid, and Flutterguy's angry rendition of it is probably the episode's highlight.

Negatives:

1. In order to highlight of how the series is introducing the black character in Zecora, they chose the most laziest and insensitive route to go to by making everyone save for Twilight, Spike, and Applebloom a flaming racist. This was a big anchor that hung around the episode's neck as there was no way for me to enjoy this episode. In order to draw to attention of how Zecora is the series's African character, they turned the entire town of ponyville, yes, every single pony into racists! This would involve no one coming out of their homes, everybody looking at the poor zebra with contempt and venom as they make up stories for why she's scary despite never actually interacting with her, yelling at her to leave, blaming her for their curse, and a whole mess of things that not only was insensitive as hell but it was extremely lazy as it chose to write everybody out of character for the sake of the narrative. The only ones weren't affected by it were Spike, Twilight before the end though at least she had a reason to suspect after being terrified that Zecora could eat Applebloom, and Applebloom herself but she had this moment happen that is probably her worst one in the series. As @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned below, they treated the more alien griffon Gilda with greater respect than the more pony like Zebra Zecora just to contrast at how poorly written this episode's theme is.

Personally, if they wanted to go this route, they needed to reduce that number to one pony and make it so the character has to develop for the better as folks show how idiotic said pony is for believing it and how Zecora herself is actually a decent person, there not only do we show off the mane 6 and ponyville in a good light, but said character shows off an interesting shade in Equestria's perfect utopian society look and becomes a better character for it. That to me would've made a better story than one we actually ended up with.

2. Applebloom leaves a cursed Applejack, her older sister behind to fend for herself in the Everfree Forest and apparently Amy forgot about dangerous said forest is when writing that scene.

One scene that is actually my most hated Applebloom moment I've seen in the series was when she decides that since Applejack, the caring older sister, has been nothing but annoying her and stopping her from doing what she wanted to do so in order for Applebloom to correct that, she placed AJ on a branch in the dangerous everfree forest, and left her to fend for herself there. This is a display of poor awareness in the narration as the everfree forest was shown in the episode and in the past episodes before it as being very dangerous and weird for ponies to go to, but yet Applebloom just leaves her cursed tiny sister AJ into the everfree forest without a care in the world as she's going to get what she wants. This is not only Applebloom's worst moment in the series but of the series in general as this extremely poor oversight and careless action from Applebloom makes this poorly thought episode worse than it should've been.

Conclusion: Bridle Gossip is arguably as bad if not worse than Boast Busters as the lazy and insensitive ooc writing of the ponyville ponies for the sake of neon sighting Zecora's designation in the series, but also of how careless they were when Applebloom went up and left Applejack to defend herself in the ever free forest all because Applebloom was tired of AJ bossing her around. All the positives that I liked in Bridle Gossip such as the cursed pony versions and the introductions of Zecora and the start of her relationship with Applebloom and the filly's character herself does no where near enough of a job to offset it.

Score: 4.5/10

Grade: F

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

They treated the griffon... better than the pony-like person. *Rolls eyes to the heavens* It gave us Zecora, which is a net positive. But yeah, the entire town treating her like that?

Going to add that to the post. Ty for the spot.

7 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Bridle Gossip

Like I said in RK_Stryker_JK_5's thread, the whole situation with Zecora struck me more as fear of the unknown than as racism. Come to think of it, I think that it may have been an intentional slant given by the writer, to call out how ugly racism is, but I also think that saying that was the intention may be giving MLP a bit too much credit. But hey... I'm the one that says kids are smarter than most give then credit.

Well, none of that changes how overused this kind of plot is, unfortunately. Do I like it? I sure do, I just wish it had been less formulaic. But coming from me, this is nitpicking.

7 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Applebloom leaves a cursed Applejack, her older sister behind to fend for herself in the Everfree Forest and apparently Amy forgot about dangerous said forest is when writing that scene.

I didn't even think of that at the time. Wow. The forest seems to have become less dangerous (or the writers just don't care...) and even at the time the whole sense of danger from the forest seemed to come from the ponies' thoughts of it. The forest itself, wasn't really shown as very dangerous. Ponies freak out for no apparent reason? Funny. Inconsistency? More likely. The forest is consistently (I think... Could be wrong) mentioned as dangerous, but it is never really properly shown as such. This is a shame, when MLP seems to have an interest in keeping continuity some times.

I like that the show has managed to maintain a level of consistency, with Applebloom's interest in potions and the use of the poison joke as a ingredient for a potion with controlled effect. For someone in my line of work, I think this is particularly clever and it was (will be) an interesting point of continuity.

• Like 1

For an episode introducing one of my favorite side characters it's fine but looking at the big picture. Yeah I agree with point number one. MLP has a decent amount of episodes that have the characters acting like bitches for sake of plot. But I don't know if it is an F maybe a D or D- but did point number one make you that piss off. Because this time you're not over thinking as what you can see here can be seen as racist.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MasterSaruwatari said:

For an episode introducing one of my favorite side characters it's fine but looking at the big picture. Yeah I agree with point number one. MLP has a decent amount of episodes that have the characters acting like bitches for sake of plot. But I don't know if it is an F maybe a D or D- but did point number one make you that piss off. Because this time you're not over thinking as what see here can be seen as ponies being racist.

Ty very much for the compliment. What point did you thought I was overthinking?

Ah, as for the post itself, it wasn't the thinly veiled racism theme that pissed me off as Zootopia had a similar theme but yet executed that far better and I loved it for it. It was how utterly lazy the writing for the episode and it's theme were as it was never established beforehand that the ponyville ponies would be so prejudiced against an individual based on how they appear to be and in fact, as @RK_Striker_JK_5 mentioned, they showed far more tolerance to the more alien Griffon Gilda than they do to a much more similar pony so it's just a very weird and blatant lazy use of it.

• Like 2

Swarm of the Century is the tenth episode of season 1 and of FIM series. It is written by M.A. Larson and storyboarded by Tom Sales and Lih Liau.

Swarm of the Century's original title was called 'Pied Piper Pinkie' but was changed after a later story meeting. Speaking of the story, the story's idea was originally pitched as a 'plague of locust like creatures' which drew parallels very quickly to the famed Star Trek episode 'Trouble with Tribbles' in part to the show creator Lauren Faust's huge love for the series itself. The writer, M.A. Larson was also motivated by Steven Spielberg's films 'Gremlins' when writing the episode.

While Ponyville prepares for the personal arrival of Princess Celestia, Fluttershy finds a small and cute creature that has the ability to multiply itself after consuming food. Intrigued by it, Fluttershy shows it off to her friends and lets them take it's copies home with them, what could possibly go wrong.

Positives:

1. An interesting minor part of the story and added lore in the episode is the parasprites themselves as despite their cute nature, they hold a subtle dark omen to wherever they go. Onto the primary antagonists of Swarm of the Century, the parasprites, while their cute nature and ability to multiply from eating is a trope made famous by Star Trek's episode Trouble with Tribbles, what I do like that this episode did was that it injected an inflection of grim in them. Thanks to Pinkie Pie who showed right away that not only she had encountered them before, despised them, but also knows how to rid of them which would suggest that parasprite infestation is a daily occurrence at her rock farm and Zecora, who hilariously avoided being used as the plot device maker in this episode after her intro episode, tells a short but vivid info on that these creatures have ruined crops and harvests singlehandily. Her casual remark to Twilight 'you're doomed,' tells a great tale of how these creatures are actually a nasty swarm that can ruin whole communities. A cute apocalypse in a can essentially. A shame that folks haven't really picked on these creatures despite how they hold potential for more stories concerning other pony communities or so.

2. I especially liked the humor and good use of it in the episode. Perhaps this is one of S1's most memorable episodes for me when it comes to comedy as I actually quite enjoyed the humor in Swarm of the Century. Most notably, the two I have very fond memories over is the parasprite bikini of Rainbow Dash and Twilight's mini breakdown scene when she sees Celestia's arrival is imminent. There are also some other good humor moments too such as Rarity's high pitched screaming and the apple family's futile defense at stopping the parasprites as it casually went over them to eat their barn.

3. A very minor thing, but we're also told of another city in equestria called Fillydelphia exists. While the existence of the city is pretty minor as we haven't seen it outside of a comic issue, it's name however gave folks the clues needed to be able to guess on what future names of equestria we can find or even for their own fan fictions too. Speaking of which, remember the first swarm, I wonder if perhaps that one hit Fillydelphia

Negatives:

1. Fluttershy extended the length of the plot longer than it should've gone on when she chose to keep a parasprite despite knowing the danger of them after helping her friends get rid of them. This one is a notable moment where it seemed the mane 6 had solved the episode's problem of the parasprites only to find that because Fluttershy couldn't resist their charm despite knowing the apparent danger they pose, she kept one which only reignited a new swarm to appear. This only did was pad the episode's time with the same problem again. A small problem btw compared to the much bigger one.

2. Despite what the narration tries to say, Pinkie Pie was actually the episode's biggest problem. Now the Swarm of the Century's lesson and narration was trying to say that had Pinkie Pie's friends had tried to listen to her instead of brushing her off, than the parasprite problem would've been resolved. However, upon inspection, I not only found that Pinkie Pie was problematic in the episode but she actually made the parasprite problem worse. Here are why:

A. If Pinkie Pie had taken the time to explain why she needed the instruments from the start instead of just spouting off looking for instruments with seemingly no rhyme or reason, perhaps her friends would pay better heed to her.

B. She actually was a bigger hindrance than help in the episode as when Rainbow Dash was controlling the 2nd swarm with her tornado attack fine and seemingly was going to have them thrown out until Pinkie Pie accidentally threw cymbals into the tornado which disrupted and knocked Rainbow Dash out, losing the tornado and having the parasprite infestation go directly towards Ponyville.  Not only did this extend the length of the episode longer again, but the episode completely ignored that without Pinkie Pie's intervention, the parasprite infestation would've been removed right there. Taking that scene into account, this shows Pinkie Pie wasn't just saving the day but mostly to fix her own screwup in the episode that was overlooked. Had they removed that scene altogether, her only issue would've been not being clear what she needed the instruments despite at least attempting it once to explain it only for her friends to ignore her and leave.

Conclusion: Swarm of the Century is a pretty decent episode with it's good comedy all around in the story and establishing a bit of lore in Equestria that gets overlooked in my opinion in the parasprites and impact they can cause and the establishment of Fillydelphia and a clue at how pony city names are like, but the padded time caused by Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie's behavior, and especially at how the episode overlooked the troubles Pinkie Pie had with failing to effectively tell the mane 6 of what her plan was and by causing the 2nd parasprite infestation to hit to Ponyville. All of these points to me make Swarm of the Century a funny but very flawed episode.

Score: 7.0/10

Grade: D+

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I won't blame Pinkie Pie for the cymbals. She had them strapped to her neck and they broke loose accidentally.

True you are correct in that regard, what I'm critiquing here is that it was because of Pinkie Pie that caused the 2nd parasprite infestation to hit Ponyville. Without her involvement, the remane five would've actually have fixed the parasprite problem on their own. She actually wasn't really needed to save the day and in fact had caused even more problems due to her involvement and her losing the cymbals on accident.

• Like 1

Onto our next episode on our list, which is also the eleventh episode of the series and season 1, is Winter Wrap Up. The episode is written by Cindy Morrow with storyboard artists Kenny Park and Alex Basio with Jocelyn Thessien doing the storyboard on the song only.

There is no background information or so that I can find on the episode so for now, N/A to say.

The time of the end of winter and beginning of spring is upon Ponyville, allowing them to enact their winter wrap up tradition. Twilight meanwhile, a newcomer to their way of winter wrap up being done without magic, tries her earnest to find a place in this village tradition.

Positives:

1. This episode reveals quite a bit on pony ways on changing to a new season of the year. One very notable lore building element this episode's theme and narration wrapped itself around is upon the season changing holiday called Winter Wrap Up. This is the pony holiday and tradition where the ponies of Equestria focus on removing the snow and winter weather and other aesthetics away from their environment in order to bring in spring. This is a rather unique way for folks to look into the FIM verse as being able to move the whole season of their environment to make way for a new season shows a great control and manipulation of the weather in their environment. This goes further where it shows that outside of the obvious method of magic to manipulate and control it that other ponies can do it too via using their own physical strength like many earth ponies do or use their natural weather manipulation abilities like Pegasus ponies to not only remove clouds one by one but to do it with a large enough group to plow through the clouds to remove them. One final thing on this matter is that it is also considered a huge community event by the ponies of Equestria as it seems that many many ponies are required for this task to be done, even by use of magic as outside of the Alicorns or a few exceptionally powerful unicorns, it would require many unicorns to pull this off and this is no different from the immense amount of horsepower needed for earth and pegasus ponies to just being able to have the means to move the seasons off from their lands to make way for the new one.

This is a delightful lore building moment in the show as it greatly helps to provide a unique flavor to the show with how seasons in FIM are changed by the ponies.

2. The song, Winter Wrap Up, is not only the first song in the series to really strike a chord with the audience, it also remains one of the best songs in the series too. While not the first song in the series, to me this was the first song in FIM to have really left a resounding impact upon me and the audience itself. With it's catchy beats, the point of the song to try to tell the audience about winter wrap up and Twilight's desire to make her mark in this festivity, and other facets I'm sure more knowledgeable folks in the field of music can tell why this song is good.

Either way, Winter Wrap Up even today remains one of the fandom's most popular songs just to emphasize of how well it has stood the test of time or so.

3. This episode shows off one of the most relatable and human tales Twilight Sparkle has had in the series. One especially great narration the episode did great was about Twilight's tale in this episode. Throughout the episode, Twilight has been seeking to make her mark in Ponyville, to find a place and role to where she can proudly say she had done for this new place she is trying to bond readily with at any opportunity. This is a tale that I'm sure many can relate to such as trying to find a job within your community, finding a role in whatever organized event is going on, or even just bonding with folks in your town. This was exactly Twilight's story in this episode, finding a place in her community however she could. This would result in her trying out different jobs for the Winter Wrap Up only to find she is either too unskilled at crafting birdhouses, too clumsy for ice skating, too scared of animals, and too weak to plow. All of these would culminate in Twilight getting frustrated, no small part to Spike insisting her to use magic as he's used to seeing, which she initially refuses as she wishes to do Ponyville's traditions their way and not disrupt it with her own alien method until out of desperation to fit in, she finally uses her magic only to provide the plow cart to move that goes out of her hand for her. After getting chewed out by Applejack for going against a tradition her family has started, Twilight finally breaks down crying, tearing up that she has failed to find any role she is good at to help the folks of Ponyville out and quickly leaves.

While not perfect as I will reveal below why, this however deserves high praise for the story given to Twilight where we see not a unicorn pony with great magical prowess, or even a prodigal student of the ruler of the lands, but a woman who is trying her hardest to find anything anything to find a place in the community she is new to and wishes to help them out however she can so she can feel like she belongs here. Meeting those failures would put her in a trying time for her own as she comes to the realization that she may not be able to be useful or helpful at all for the folks of Ponyville to bring spring to it. While she does eventually find her place as the manager of Equestria's winter wrap up crew due to her exceptional organizational skills which does resolve well on her tale of how Twilight finds her place in Ponyville, but...

Negatives:

1. In order for Twilight to find her place, a contrived plot point had to occur for her to be able to reach that goal. One definite problem I saw in the episode was of how Ponyville revealed that they were lagging behind on their schedule again due to how poorly organized the event is despite how this has been a known problem for them seemingly for a while and yet they couldn't find a solution to solve it till the depressed lavender unicorn proved she was up to the task after she had tried and failed in all other tasks. This not only paints Ponyville's management and especially Mayor Mare as being very incompetent if they have allowed this problem to go unresolved and thinking a motivational speech is all it takes to solve it, but a further desire to inspect at just how competent Mayor Mare and her administration is if they can't solve this ongoing problem with Winter Wrap Up for years.

2. Another poor joke at the end where they decide it would be funny to let Spike to suffer hypothermia for whatever reason.  In another unnecessary joke at Spike's expense, we see the entire folks of Ponyville decide that it would be hilarious to see a baby dragon to suffer Hypothermia. Yea, how did this got through the edit process and how did they thought making ponyville be assholes to Spike was a good idea?

Conclusion:

Regardless of how contrived the climax was for Twilight, Winter Wrap Up is arguably the best episode I've seen in S1 yet for it's memorable song number Winter Wrap Up, more great lore building for FIM with how ponies change seasons in their world, but to also see Twilight under go one of the most human stories that we have seen on the show earns very high marks for this episode for what it has done.

Score 9.0/10

Grade: B+

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I've grown to rather... massively dislike the banning of unicorn magic in helping with Winter Wrap Up.

I don't see an issue with not wanting to use Unicorn magic as they've done fine without it and even when Twilight took over as manager, they still didn't use magic to solve their winter wrap up as it was clearly a problem with management rather than inefficient use of physical labor over the more efficient magic ability.

41 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

I don't see an issue with not wanting to use Unicorn magic as they've done fine without it and even when Twilight took over as manager, they still didn't use magic to solve their winter wrap up as it was clearly a problem with management rather than inefficient use of physical labor over the more efficient magic ability.

I think it's unnecessary and has some very unfortunate and unintended implications. Yeah, management's the biggest problem, but there's no way, even with efficiency, that it wouldn't help.

• Like 1

Just now, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I think it's unnecessary and has some very unfortunate and unintended implications. Yeah, management's the biggest problem, but there's no way, even with efficiency, that it wouldn't help.

I don't think the implications are there as for the most part, Ponyville is an earth pony town that many pegasus and unicorn ponies like to go for a quiet retreat to and for the most part, likely aren't going to attract the number of unicorns needed to move the seasons like Canterlot seems to be the main city for unicorns. Also, as Meta said in your thread, the biggest problem for Ponyville wasn't the lack of unicorn magic but of how inefficient and poorly organized the event is as no one has the expertise at managing that Twilight does to pull it off so even if unicorn magic was plenty there, they would likely face similar problems there too.

Call of the Cutie is the 12th episode of FIM series and of season 1. It is written by Meghan McCarthy with it's storboard artists being Sabrina Alberghetti and Nicole Wang.

A thing to note here about the background info is that while this is the CMC's introduction episode, this isn't the first time the CMC's first appear together as they all appeared in the part one of the series pilot huddling in fear together. According to a layout artist, this was an error on his part as it was supposed to be three different ponies altogether instead. One other information to point is that the series's creator Lauren Faust originally envisioned Applebloom seeking her cutie mark on her own. This would be changed when Hasbro suggested that Applebloom have a group of friends for her to hang out with and also find their cutie marks to ring the message of the show better with the audience than Faust's original vision for Applebloom's arc.

Applejack's little sister, Applebloom is troubled by the bullying remarks of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon for her lack of a cutie mark. She seeks to remedy this problem however she can quickly before she has to appear before those bullies in Diamond Tiara's quinceanera.

Positives:

1. This is the first episode that really explains the importance of the butt tattoo cutie mark to a pony in FIM series. Almost immediately, teacher pony Cheerilee goes to explain of why this iconography on a pony's flank is very important to them. Here she explains that getting a cutie mark is essentially a predetermination by whatever divine being or biology that allows this to happen that not only fits their character and skill with an occupation the most, but essentially determines of what path in their life they should take in order to feel the most happy with the cutie mark they are given to have. This is rather an interesting talk about it as this leaves questions open such as of how pre determined fate or so decides on what that pony does, what happens if the pony gets a cutie mark that would lead them to a dangerous career or fate such as being a murder, what happens if a pony gets something so mundane or useless such as balloon popping, will it be acceptable to that pony too? But enough over thinking on this for I shall give it credit for giving the audience a useful reference for what a cutie mark is and why is it important to a pony to have it.

2. This also in turn explains Appleblooms need and desire to get a cutie mark as part of her series long character arc is of the desire to become older and to show of how mature she has gotten. Early on before this episode, in the past episode Bridle Gossip, we saw Applebloom expressing a desire to show off her independence from her older sister Applejack to show off how she doesn't need her older sister to watch over her. This is a common theme shown by younger kids in many stories over every media imaginable as alot of younger kids wish to show off to everyone that they're ready, they're old enough to have independence, and they often go on a personal journey of self discovery or so to where they come to grips of who they are and what should ultimately be their path in life. For Applebloom, this path would take her to finding her cutie mark and to find what kind of destiny does fate have in store for her.

During this episode, Applebloom would start her path by trying her hardest to get it even if it goes to extreme lengths such as being zealous selling apples that scared more customers than earned them. Her trek through this episode would eventually lead her to adopt the method Rainbow Dash taught her which is to try as many stunts and odd skills in order for her to find the cutie mark right away which fit into Applebloom's impatient persona well.

This episode should be given plenty of credit for helping us to the establishment Applebloom's character and especially the kind of arc she would embark on throughout the series, but not without some friends.

3. This would also be the episode that establishes one of the important cornerstones of the series itself, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Applebloom would find two other fillies at the party in Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle that also did not have their own cutie marks to share and bond with her. This would help kick off the filly group known as the cutie mark crusaders. This decision would easily turn out to be one of the series's best decisions as many of the series's best episodes would result from each CMC's getting their own individual episodes that would help build up their characters for the audience to enjoy.

4. Like any protagonist, the CMC's also got their primary antagonists and bullies in Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon here. While they first started up here as being your typical Bully Alpha queen bitches of the school character wise in their attempts to shame Applebloom for not having a cutie mark while they brag about their own in turn they just got, still I would at least give Call of the Cutie's benefit that they would help provide the opposing group for the CMC's to face. However their characters leave alot to be desired save for a couple of examples before a noted S5 episode that did change things for em.

5. The episode's lesson of 'sometimes the thing you fear would cause you lose friends may actually help you find great ones', is to me an important lesson to learn. How often do we go in life where we believe in something or what we have would be heavily ostracized by folks, which it does happen many times, but in many instances too, we can also gain new friends that help forge even stronger ones. Hell, this whole Brony fandom is literally this lesson being exercised to exceptional levels. Sometimes in life, we would have to come to terms that if we like this certain thing or we have, perhaps there are others who also share similar experience with us that we can bond over.

6. Cupcakes song is short and sweet. It's a catchy little tune I like. Nothing much else to say but that I liked it.

Negatives:

1. The Climax was forced in it's setup and longevity. During the Call of the Cutie, I noticed several problems with the climax. These would be:

A. Applebloom totally forgetting that the quinceanera was at the sugarcube corner when she was working on finding her cutie mark and she so happens to be at the very place while looking for it. Now I know the episode's lampshaded this flaw with Applebloom remarking of how she forgot about it and stuff and folks can forget an engagement sometimes so I will let it off a bit, but considering how the quinceanera was the thing that was all over Applebloom's mind and how everything she did up to that point was to look good at it, it was just pretty convenient she suffered a memory loss when the episode needed her to.

B. Applejack also seemed to have forgotten of how Applebloom does not wish to go to the party without her cutie mark as when AB is about to escape without anyone noticing, not only did AJ caught her but she also forced her right back in despite how AB had shown she wanted to leave or so. Much like the above, I can let it slide a bit as AJ probably wanted to boost her sister's confidence and show how she shouldn't be scared of having no cutie mark. Still not only was this another moment in the climax there to ensure it goes as the narration intends for it to go through, but the only reason why this even ended with a happy ending is because...

2. The episode had a deus ex machina type ending where Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo's sudden appearance and aid to Applebloom when she needed it most. Without any buildup to it whatsoever of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle coming to Applebloom's aid or even any hint of their characters suffering a similar problem, this a definite example of Deus ex machina, or an unexplained event that appears out of nowhere to help solve the conflict just as it appeared it would go worse for Applebloom when Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were harassing her. This further highlights the problems Call of the Cutie had at the climax as it was contrived and forced in several spots.

Conclusion: Still regardless of how I feel of how contrived the climax is for the episode, I will say is that the episode does a very good job at explaining the importance of the cutie marks which by itself would lend it to have a great score for this episode. Call of the Cutie is also the episode that established the Cutie Mark Crusaders and their antagonists in Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, and especially helped kick off Applebloom's series long character arc of her trying to find herself as she tries her earnest to get her cutie mark during this journey of hers. Sprinkled with a lesson and song I liked, and I would give Call of the Cutie a good score.

Score: 8.5/10

Grade: B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

1. This is the first episode that really explains the importance of the butt tattoo cutie mark to a pony in FIM series.

I could be wrong, and probably am... but I think this is the first time we've seen an explanation for the franchise period.

I still wanna punch Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. :P Also, 80's Cheerilee! :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I could be wrong, and probably am... but I think this is the first time we've seen an explanation for the franchise period.

I still wanna punch Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. :P Also, 80's Cheerilee! :D

Kind of hilarious about 80's cheerilee when it seemed she was the only one wearing that outfit despite what she claimed in the episode where the Apple lies:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/a/a9/Young_Big_McIntosh_checking_out_Cheerilee_S6E23.png/revision/latest?cb=20161009122014

I guess Cheerilee loved the outift so much she was in huge denial about how she was weird dressing in that get up when no one else is.