11 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

@RK_Striker_JK_5 Speaking of which how is Rawhide?

Admittedly... a lot of my feelings are heavily tinged with nostalgia. I used to watch it with my grandfather whenever I was over his and Grammy's house. But... there was some solid acting among the leads. There were some good stories, too, and some nice subversions of cliches and tropes. For instance, in one scene Rowdy Yates, a young Clint Eastwood, has just learned the plans of the bad guys of the week. He dramatically dives through a glass window to escape the bad guys!

The bad guys... saunter outside, finding him lying on the ground and badly cut up. Oh, that's right. Glass isn't soft!

And contrary to popular belief, they made the end of their cattle drive several times. They simply started a new one up right after. :P

• Like 1

Maybe it's my different cultural background but the inspiration the episode took from the real life conflict never bothered me. At the time I just felt that 'Eh... They managed to find a better solution than years of killing each other." But thinking about it now, I wouldnt complain about it, but this whole thing getting fixed by a tasty pie... I wouldn't say that it's offensive, but I'd prefer if they had taken a bit more care with this.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 6:51 PM, Metemponychosis said:
On 12/12/2016 at 6:51 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Maybe it's my different cultural background but the inspiration the episode took from the real life conflict never bothered me. At the time I just felt that 'Eh... They managed to find a better solution than years of killing each other." But thinking about it now, I wouldnt complain about it, but this whole thing getting fixed by a tasty pie... I wouldn't say that it's offensive, but I'd prefer if they had taken a bit more care with this.

Aye, not the most respectful way to end the conflict considering it's dark history.

On 12/12/2016 at 6:51 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Admittedly... a lot of my feelings are heavily tinged with nostalgia. I used to watch it with my grandfather whenever I was over his and Grammy's house. But... there was some solid acting among the leads. There were some good stories, too, and some nice subversions of cliches and tropes. For instance, in one scene Rowdy Yates, a young Clint Eastwood, has just learned the plans of the bad guys of the week. He dramatically dives through a glass window to escape the bad guys!

The bad guys... saunter outside, finding him lying on the ground and badly cut up. Oh, that's right. Glass isn't soft!

And contrary to popular belief, they made the end of their cattle drive several times. They simply started a new one up right after. :P

Hmm, sounds like a show that is very aware of some tropes used and likes to spin em just to show how accurate they'd actually be in the real world. It's a good thing you watched it then.

Today's episode I'll review is A Bird in a Hoof, the twenty second episode in Season 1 and series of Friendship is Magic. It was written by Charlotte Fullerton with the storyboard artists being Sabrina Alberghetti and Nicole Wang. 

According to Lauren Faust, this episode was originally conceived as a 'tug at your heart string' episode about losing a pet. 

Your summary is that Fluttershy birdnaps Celestia's pet bird Philomena in an attempt to nurse it back to health.

Positives:

1. Philomena, the trolling Phoenix bird is hilarious and clearly the star of the episode. 

latest?cb=20130112063220

Guess which bird is Philomena.

Being the front and center attention of the episode, Celestia's royal pet Philomena is quite a character to behold while only appearing on the show in one episode. We see throughout the trek that after Fluttershy birdnaps her with good intentions of healing her back to health, Philomena decides to take a turn to troll Fluttershy via getting hot or cold in extremes, refusing to take medicine, still being sick, and when things were going out of hand with Twilight forcing to feed it the soup, she bailed on em and a funny Benny Hill inspired theme song played in the background as they try to apprehend the bird. Than as a 'final act' before it's restoration, Philomena pretended it died and just as it fell down, while Fluttershy was trying to catch it, it burned up and turned to ash shocking everyone for what happened.

latest?cb=20120117000454

Now that is some dark comedy there. 

Only for Celestia herself to come and tell it to stop having fun with em and reveal that it is alright. She complied and revealed herself as magnificent phoenix bird in glorious health much to everyone's pleasant surprise. 

Philomena is a delightfully fun character as she holds a very mischievous streak in her where she takes pleasure in having fun with ponies however she can. In terms of pets, I feel Philomena is pretty underrated and deserves more love as she has certainly shown herself to be a grade A troll character.

2. This also happens to be one of rare instances where we get to see a glimpse in Celestia's character too in the show. 

latest?cb=20120916041725

How do you think the bird became such a troll? Her master is funny too.

While we're still waiting out on that Celestia episode she so badly needs, here in season 1 we're given a rare glimpse of Celestia's character past her monolithic monarch status and shown that she likes to have some lighthearted moments to help lighten the mood up such as the tea scene and seems to enjoy comedy as well considering how Philomena is and how Celestia does like to partake in comedy herself. 

3. We're also given our first appearance of the phoenix bird in the show. Through Philomena's exploits and Celestia's exposition on her, we know the series includes the famed phoenix birds of fantasy onto here. These fire birds that can resurrect themselves was played to it's full effect here for comedic purposes and they will play an important role in an episode in S2 as well. I wish for more of these birds if they're more like Philomena. 

4. I especially liked Fluttershy in the episode too.  One thing that I will say that enjoyed here was Fluttershy as despite Fluttershy stealing a royal bird from Celestia, she had good intentions of tending and caring for the bird so we see her throughout trying her hardest to nurse it back to health only for her ignorance on the bird to stymie her as she has no idea how to do it. Regardless she tries with all of her might to find a way to make the bird happy as much as she could.

latest?cb=20111219191329

If only Fluttershy asked sooner

Than after some funny benny hill chase themes occurring and Philomena's 'death', we see both Twilight and Fluttershy try to accept responsibility for it which is admirable on them for trying to make amends for it. There after Celestia reveals Philomena's bird species type, Fluttershy learns of why it's important to ask instead of taking stuff as you may come upon a situation you don't know that can easily be explained by the person for what it is.

Negatives:

1. The pacing in this episode is really slow. Now the episode's biggest problem was of how slow the pacing was as the episode took it's sweet time in developing and moving it's narrative simply because outside of some shenanigans with Philomena at the expense of the ponies there really wasn't much else about this episode so it had to pace it really really slowly. 

latest?cb=20120324073758

While fun and sincere, be prepared to watch five minutes of her attempting to bring the bird back to health at her cottage.

Now pacing can be problematic if it's done too fast or too slow as it highlights the problem with your narration that you have too many stuff to cram in or too few to put in respectively. You got to find the right balance of time for each scene so you can entertain the audience with a new plot point while at the same time give it the time it needs to sink in, but not feel dragged out. In this episode's case, it was apparent that there wasn't alot of stuff in it. But still this episode is very solid fundamental wise so the slow pacing isn't as bad in comparison.

2. I didn't like the party jokes at the party scene with Celestia outside of a tea moment with her. While the comedy is pretty good here, not all of it was great as I didn't like Rarity's gag in being overly protective of her dress simply because if she is that protective of it at a little party why did she bring it in the first place, and Applejack being confused at what to eat just felt forced for the sake of comedy too. 

latest?cb=20111007224246

Makes you wonder why she brought it in the first place considering how rather casual it is and her being very protective about it.

Conclusion: A Bird in a Hoof is about one thing and it does that one thing very well which is showing off how hilarious the trolling phoenix bird Philomena is. This was really her episode with Fluttershy being caught in it unwittingly for not asking Celestia if it was alright to take the bird. This episode also shares as being one of the few moments of character traits we can find for Celestia in the series too and of how rather well the narration for Fluttershy's tale is regardless of how painfully slow the pacing was for it.

Score: 8.0/10

Grade: C+

• Like 1

Yeah, there's no excuse for Rarity to have her friggin' Gala dress beyond, "The writers wanted a funny gag." Same with Applejack. I mean, hell, she went to Manehattan and learned all that fancy stuff from the Orange's!

I really do wish Philomena would come back.

• Like 1

Yep, totally agree with this. Have nothing much to add.

It's a shame this was the only time we saw Philomena. It seems phoenix tends to disappear in this series: same thing happened to Spike's baby phoenix back in S2.

Also, this was one of the best Celestia's moments. Oh Tia, back in those days you were able to look nice and cute while at the same time still having that aura of mystery around you. It's a shame that she hasn't gotten any good appearence for the last two or three seasons.

• Like 1

Discord is a troll. Celestia has a sense of humor. He wants to have his fun and doesn't care if it hurts. He is selfish and only cares about himself and having Fluttershy for himself. Celestia just wants to be together. Personally, think that Celestia, at the time did feel like a monolith of 'princessness' and this episode did wonders for her. Even if now she needs a bit more of both.

Also, this episode is very fun to watch. The whole mess Philomena creates and the way Twilight gets swallowed in it was hillarious.

The slow pacing didn't bother me, but I always think that MLP rushes everything anyway. So take that with a grain of salt.

Finaly... Yes... Rarity's part in it was less than perfect.

You know what? I want to see Tiberius canonized in the cartoon and see him interacting with Philomena. I wanna see what she can put the poor thing through.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Yeah, there's no excuse for Rarity to have her friggin' Gala dress beyond, "The writers wanted a funny gag." Same with Applejack. I mean, hell, she went to Manehattan and learned all that fancy stuff from the Orange's!

I really do wish Philomena would come back.

I agree with everything.

8 hours ago, Jederick said:

Yep, totally agree with this. Have nothing much to add.

It's a shame this was the only time we saw Philomena. It seems phoenix tends to disappear in this series: same thing happened to Spike's baby phoenix back in S2.

Also, this was one of the best Celestia's moments. Oh Tia, back in those days you were able to look nice and cute while at the same time still having that aura of mystery around you. It's a shame that she hasn't gotten any good appearence for the last two or three seasons.

I'm content you're pleased. 

So true that philomena needs to return and yea, Season 1 was especially good for celestia. It's one of the things I really miss from Lauren Faust as it seems she treated Celestia with great respect unlike the other head writers who seem to prefer Luna over her and knocked Celestia to the side for it.

4 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Discord is a troll. Celestia has a sense of humor. He wants to have his fun and doesn't care if it hurts. He is selfish and only cares about himself and having Fluttershy for himself. Celestia just wants to be together. Personally, think that Celestia, at the time did feel like a monolith of 'princessness' and this episode did wonders for her. Even if now she needs a bit more of both.

Also, this episode is very fun to watch. The whole mess Philomena creates and the way Twilight gets swallowed in it was hillarious.

The slow pacing didn't bother me, but I always think that MLP rushes everything anyway. So take that with a grain of salt.

Finaly... Yes... Rarity's part in it was less than perfect.

You know what? I want to see Tiberius canonized in the cartoon and see him interacting with Philomena. I wanna see what she can put the poor thing through.

I know that's why I mentioned that she enjoys comedy and especially if it helps to lighten the mood up. That line with Celly talking with Philomena was more of how Philomena learned comedy from but with a more cynical twist to Philomena's behavior. I've changed it to better word it in that case. Celly needs another one like this but more dedicated to her side more than ever.

Mhm glad you like the episode. As for the pacing, despite the episodes in S1 needing to end with a lesson to offer, I'd have to say they feel better paced in comparison to many future episodes. And yes on Rarity.

I would like Tiberius to be canonized in the show if it brings Philomena back.

Today's episode to review is the twenty third episode of season one and the FIM series, the Cutie Mark Chronicles. It is written by M.A Larson with the storyboard artists being "Big" Jim Miller and Francisco Avalos.

This is the first episode to have all of the CMC's and the mane 6 and Spike to have a speaking role in the episode. Twilight's mother, Twilight Velvet was shares the older color design of the original Twilight from G1 of MLP. Despite what Spike had said of his egg being a purple and green egg at the series pilot, his egg in the actual episode is different shades of purple instead.

Your summary here is that in an attempt to find any sort of guide to getting their cutie marks, the Cutie Mark Crusaders try to seek out Rainbow Dash for advice on how she got hers. 

Positives:

1. This episode holds the great importance of establishing the background information on the mane 6 as fillies and of how they got their cutie marks and the destiny the mane 6 are tied together with. The great importance of this episode cannot be understated as for whenever folks ever needed a story on how the mane 6 were as fillies and how they acquired their cutie marks or so, this is the one to point at. Here we see:

A. latest?cb=20120104033840

Applejack decides to move away from home and live with Manehattan orange cousins, which was the city's first appearance in the series too.  This not only establishes that the apple family have city living cousins in the oranges, but of how AJ at one point wanted to try living the orange's way of life over the apples. She of course had gotten homesick at one point and was considering if perhaps she should return. Thanks to a certain sonic rainboom happening at that time, she saw a rainbow pointing towards the direction of Sweet Apple Acres which would give her the nudge she needed to return to her home on the farm for which she realized her life is with the apples as a farmer, earning her cutie mark.

B. latest?cb=20111228173948

Fluttershy was struggling to pass the Flight camp due to her weak flying abilities and she was relentlessly mocked for it until Rainbow Dash came to defend her. The same Sonic Rainboom bullies in their pasty filly selves then challeng RD to a race to get the chance to humiliate her too which she gladly accepted for her own brand of justice to administer. As the flag girl, Fluttershy started the race only for the racers to knock her out of the sky on accident, which she certainly would've fallen to her death had it not been for a huge Kaleidoscope of Butterflies to catch her as she fell. Brought to a forest for the first time, Fluttershy was amazed by the sight of the animals and has come to love em. Thanks to a Sonic Rainboom scaring the animals away, Fluttershy was able to meet with them and assure them that they were alright and they're safe with her. This would lead her to find her love for the well being of animals which would lead to her cutie mark.

C. latest?cb=20111125203427

Despite receiving praise for her work with the filly costumes for a stage play by her teacher, however Rarity was not impressed by her own work. Feeling the praise is not deserving for something she feels is only 'adequate'  and not spectacular as she wants, she wishes to improve upon her costumes however she can but to no avail. About to give up, but suddenly a sudden plot point appeared for Rarity where it dragged her all the way to some giant boulder. Ticked off at how the spell brought her to some rock, Rarity was about to leave in frustration only for the Sonic Rainboom to break the rock open to reveal diamonds. Amazed by the discovery, Rarity brought as many diamonds as she could for her costumes and augmented them. Seeing how amazed the crowd and teacher were of the costumes, this would give Rarity the satisfaction she had sought or her costumes and now believes that fashionista is her destiny to have and earned her cutie mark.

D. latest?cb=20111008184749

Inspired by a sight of Princess Celestia at the Sun Festival, Twilight sought to improve upon her magic ability. She proved to able to successfully use telekinesis to move a page of a book, giving her pride for her development. Impressed by her hard work and progress, her parents place her for an Entrance Exam at a school for gifted Unicorns. She was failing miserably and was about to be marked down for failing until the Sonic Rainboom happened, giving her the adrenaline and jolt needed to tick her magic off to awaken the egg and give birth to Spike. Than after Twilight would go through a power surge of magic that would transmutate several of the adults and turn Spike bigger, enough to punch a hole through the ceiling and grab the attention of Celestia. There, Celestia would help Twilight to control her magic and was so impressed she decides to make Twilight her personal prodigy for her to teach. Her magic outburst would also cause her to earn her cutie mark much to her joy and a new companion in Spike the baby dragon which she has helped to nurture and grow since.

E. latest?cb=20111126211929

Pinkie Pie and her family had grown up on a destitute rock farm where her whole life there was to mine and farm rocks. Knowing no joy beforehand, Pinkie Pie was suddenly struck by a Sonic Rainboom which allowed her to see a bright colorful rainbow in the sky. This would give her an epiphany of happiness she had never felt before and the initiative to try to spread that to her family. She toiled all night to set up a plethora of party activities in her gathering for her family to experience. They were enthralled seeing the joyful party and celebrated with Pinkie Pie as she earned her cutie mark for it.

F. latest?cb=20120814143914

Rainbow Dash would help tie all of those previously mentioned events together as in her attempt to defend Fluttershy from the Sonic Rainboom bullies, she raced against them. Thrilled by the speed sensation coursing her body and motivated by a desire to win, she manages to pull of a Sonic Rainboom for the first time that not only allowed her to achieve victory for her, cause a huge Sonic Rainboom that would be noticed by all of her future friends, but earn her cutie mark in the process too.

This is all the information this episode single handily offered for everyone to see and learn for how the Mane 6 were as fillies, what some of the mane 6's families are, how they earned their cutie mark, and most importantly of how that one Sonic Rainboom by Rainbow Dash would tie them all up in a 'destiny circle' of sorts where they were all connected to each other. 

latest?cb=20120214045244

Big Group Hug, Group Hug.

In fact this episode is so important in the series for how it would help shape the mane 6 up that it would play a very central role in the Season 5 finale to show how great and lasting this episode's impact on the series is still.

Negatives:

1. A bit of lore inconsistency where it seems the Sonic Rainboom Bullies did not notice or heard how Rainbow Dash achieved a Sonic Rainboom as a filly. From what I remember and read, it seems the Sonic Rainboom bullies called the Sonic Rainboom 'an old mare's tale', and of how RD was stupid for trying it. After the fact it was shown it was used to beat them in a race and how huge the Sonic Rainboom's effects was, how could they not have seen or heard about it being used? Perhaps they were just being assholes or so, but with no definite proof on that, I'd say this is a bit of lore consistency problem here.

latest?cb=20120222011526

Seriously that is not something anyone can miss or forget.

2. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, especially Scootaloo were brats in the episode. Continuing with my dislike for the cutie mark crusaders in season 1, they continued this trend by not only being single minded to searching for their cutie marks but also of how they brushed off all of the stories the mane 6 had told them save for Rainbow Dash their intended person to heed from. To be fair to them, they did listened to each and everyone of them without interruption and they sought for Rainbow Dash's advice only, not the others and were annoyed at being slowed down for it so this point is greatly mitigated.

latest?cb=20120815085403

Scootaloo reacting negatively to maho mushy stuff.

3. The lesson was very tacked on and banal. This is actually the biggest problem I had with the episode where the lesson Twilight gave off at the end came as this: 

Twilight Sparkle: Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned something amazing. Everypony everywhere has a special magical connection with her friends, maybe even before she's met them. If you're feeling lonely and you're still searching for your true friends, just look up in the sky. Who knows? Maybe you and your future best friends are all looking at the same rainbow.

Not only was this forced as hell for the sake of including a lesson at the end of the episode, but it's essentially wishing for friends to happen which by itself is not a good thing to rely on. 

To me if it weren't for the goal of including every lesson in all season one episodes, than this episode would've never included it or so. 

latest?cb=20121231063241

Spike giving an appropriate response to that friendship lesson report.

Conclusion: Not only the Cutie Mark Chronicles one of season 1's best episodes, but it is also one of the most important episodes in the series for how it's story sets up the mane 6's background and how they achieved their cutie marks. Those traits would play a central role to a certain season finale and help to establish many folk's interpretations on the characters and backgrounds to however they see fit on em for their own stories, regardless of how tacked on the episode's lesson was.

Score: 9.5/10

Grade: A

• Like 3

Cutie Mark Chronicles is one of my favourite episodes. Maybe it is my favourite episode, I never stopped to think about it. But there's something to it. I don't know, it felt so magical and included so much lore, background story and such in only 20 minutes.

Though maybe I was a bit blinded by my love for it. I never stopped to think about the negative points 1 and 3. True, the bullies should have known that Rainbow kicked their asses with a Sonic Rainboom, and around one decade (?) after that they are calling it an "old mare's tale"? Aaaaaand maybe in the latin american version it doesn't sound so bad, but the lesson does sound like "Friends are magically tied to each other and destiny will unite them at some point, so keep waiting". I feel like the lesson was trying to be something like "If you are looking for friends and haven't got them yet, do not lose hope and keep an open mind, you never know when or where you will find them" but well...the whole "destiny" theme of the episode mutated that possible lesson.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 1:35 PM, Jederick said:

Cutie Mark Chronicles is one of my favourite episodes. Maybe it is my favourite episode, I never stopped to think about it. But there's something to it. I don't know, it felt so magical and included so much lore, background story and such in only 20 minutes.

Though maybe I was a bit blinded by my love for it. I never stopped to think about the negative points 1 and 3. True, the bullies should have known that Rainbow kicked their asses with a Sonic Rainboom, and around one decade (?) after that they are calling it an "old mare's tale"? Aaaaaand maybe in the latin american version it doesn't sound so bad, but the lesson does sound like "Friends are magically tied to each other and destiny will unite them at some point, so keep waiting". I feel like the lesson was trying to be something like "If you are looking for friends and haven't got them yet, do not lose hope and keep an open mind, you never know when or where you will find them" but well...the whole "destiny" theme of the episode mutated that possible lesson.

Mhm, it is a great episode Jederick. 

True, it's a bit strange that they would forget that in hindsight and especially from probably the biggest fickler for lore stuff in M.A Larson.

As for the lesson, perhaps the destiny angle did made the lesson worse than what it was even if I still think it's a wish fulfillment type of lesson.

On 12/16/2016 at 2:59 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Love love love this episode. :D So cool to see their backgrounds, and even better, that it flowed fairly organically through the plot.

Indeed.

Today's episode to review is the twenty fourth episode of Season 1 and the series of Friendship is Magic, Owl's Well that Ends Well. This episode is written by Cindy Morrow and it's storyboard artists are Mike West and Sherann Johnson.

The tiny tidbit of info here is that the episode's title was originally called 'Hoo goes there' according to Cindy Morrow.

Owl's Well that Ends Well's summary is in that in an attempt to resolve nightly duties that Spike would be too tired to do, Twilight finds an owl named Owlicious that Spike gets into a jealous fit over.

Before I begin here's something for folks to see to know about the episode's view on Jealousy. According to American Heritage Dictionary 4th edition, Jealousy is Fearful or wary of being supplanted; apprehensive of losing affection or position. 

Thus by that definition the word is used correctly to help resolve that bit of dispute in the use of Jealousy in the episode. Now let us continue with Owl's Well that Ends Well episode review.

Positives:

1. I did liked the meteor shower scene and the praises the mane 6 gave to Spike for preparing the meals for them. 

latest?cb=20150131164558

Arguably the best scene in the whole episode, not only was the meteor shower a pleasant sight to see, but to especially see the mane 6 shower praises onto Spike for his efforts to prepare the catering for them to enjoy with pride for his status as number one assistant. 

latest?cb=20111009032303

This should've been a more endearing moment.

2. I did enjoyed the dragon and how they set him up in the episode. One thing that I think was season 1's most underrated aspect was of how it used and set up it's monstrous creatures to use in their episodes. This episode continues that with the appearance of another dragon, this one all pissed off at Spike for eating his gems rightfully and his attempts to eat him and his rescuers in Twilight and Owlicious. 

latest?cb=20110425055505

With something that big and fast chasing you down wanting to eat you, yea you'd be scared shitless.

3. This episode also gives us our first appearance of the owl Owlicious. Of note, this episode is the intro episode to Twilight's owl pet Owlicious who was shown here to be an owl dutiful and determined to get whatever chores done. While not without flaws in his appearance I will explain below, but I will at least give credence for his appearance here.

4. I did like seeing Spike reading to help him out to deal with Owlicious. 

latest?cb=20110908210236

This spot of characterization on Spike highlights that he has picked up on Twilight's reading habits and will use it to help resolve a problem he's having. In this case he's reading up on Owls and would use that knowledge to help set a frame job for Owlicious, though he misses the detail that Owl's do not leave a carcass from eating as they swallow their prey whole and then later spit out whatever indigestible parts remained. The only time there would be blood was if the owl failed to kill it's prey in the attack and lost it.

Negatives:

1. The humor used in the episode was poor and overused. I really did not like the gags used in the episode. Starting with the 'whoot jokes, this particular humor used in a couple of spots to highlight how Owlicious speaks with hoot for an answer and how Spike and Twilight try to figure out what he's saying. This was not only not funny for how repetitive and insipid it was but to make matters worse than do this same joke multiple times just to hit it on your head of how they think you should be laughing at this joke or so. It wasn't funny the first time it was used and it won't be any funnier but worse now.

As for the other one, the scene where Spike guises himself as an old western top hat villain in his attempt to frame the murder of a mouse on Owlicious was stupid for how Spike could think that would work, him not picking up on how Owls actually consume their prey, but the reason why that happened was him in desperation to save himself from Owlicious replacing him felt more pitiful for him than funny. 

The only joke that I liked in the episode was Pinkie Pie remarking that the punch got spiked.

latest?cb=20130826211455

The only funny joke in the episode for me.

2. The gang reduces the praises that they gave to Spike at the meteor shower scene by throwing the same praise onto Owlicious and Rarity even made the same bow for him. This is why that affectionate scene at the meteor shower was reduced in it's effectiveness as we see them throwing the same congratulations onto the newcomer owl as well.

latest?cb=20120409070023

Apparently Rarity gives that bow to anyone that does great works for her.

3. The narration missed out on Owlicious's behavior in the episode as it would give you legit concern for what his motivations were in the episode. While later episodes would cast Owlicious in a better light to cast doubt on this, but when you consider these points:

A. Twilight had intended Owlicious to help her out for night duties while Spike is able to relax and sleep for the evening. Owlicious is still doing chores and work at daytime. Apparently the owl doesn't need sleep.

B. He does Spike's chores despite Twilight telling Spike to do it which only pissed Spike off for it.

C. He goes and finds the book Spike tried to hide from Twilight without being told to do but does it anyway suggesting he did this out of his own accord. Why he did it would leave cynical eyes to believe he did it to hurt Spike's prestige with Twilight. 

D. After Twilight admonishes Spike and declares that his behavior isn't from the Spike she loves, breaking poor Spike's feelings, Owlicious makes a 180 head turn back to face him. Some would say that was him being smug about it. 

When you take this all into account and how Spike was terrified that Owlicious was out to replace him and his job as Twilight's number one assistant, through a certain lens, you can't help but feel if perhaps that is what Owlicious had set out to do or so. Thus it makes the episode's narrative feel like it missed out on how Owlicious was actually shown in the episode vs. what it told us that Spike was wrong to be jealous for Owlicious. 

4. This episode held not only Twilight's worst behavior in season 1 but it can be argued to be the worst in the series too. If Twilight was a stubborn asshole to Pinkie Pie in the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen, than Twilight was an uncaring and oblivious jackass to Spike here. Here is what she had done to Spike in the episode:

A. She wanted to use Spike to awaken from his slumber to fetch the blown piece of paper for her in the middle of the night instead of going with him or so. For proof, this is what she said:

Twilight Sparkle: Shoot! Oh... This is a job for Spike. If only he were awake...

Yea she intended for Spike to get it for her instead of thinking how she wanted him to help her find it.

B. Considering how she had raised Spike since he hatched in front of her, and how her friends managed to pick up on Spike's jealousy and fear for Owlicious for which she brushes it off as them being wrong about it paints a picture that Twilight has been rather ignorant of Spike's feelings and behavior on such matters despite being with him far longer than any of the remane five who pick up on this much better than she did. This would be the crux of the conflict for the episode as Twilight fails to realize how Owlicious is hurting Spike until it's too late...

C. For which she handles it piss poorly when she declares how Spike's behavior isn't the one show knows and loves which of course sends Spike to feel like he isn't loved anymore and leaves.

Twilight: Spike! I don't know what upsets me more. That you deliberately tried to set up Owlicious or that you actually thought this pathetic attempt would work! You've let your jealousy get the best of you, Spike. I am truly disappointed. This is not the Spike I know and love.

Instead of trying to ease Spike's feelings on the jealousy matter and assure him that Owlicious won't replace him and to calm him down, she goes and chooses to blast him more for trying to frame Owlicious despite seeing how it was caused by his jealousy and fear for Owlicious and told him how his behavior wasn't from the Spike she knows and loves. How else can you interpret this other than Twilight messed this up really badly and was fortunate it didn't got worse. She really should've been called out for her shitty handling for Spike's jealousy here and no, a simple apology to him isn't enough in my opinion considering how he apologized first for his jealousy.

I mean her characterization and portrayal of her relationship with Spike here was so bad, that through a cynical view of mine, their relationship based solely on this episode can be described as 'Master and Slave' type of relationship. This was easily one of Twilight's worst if not the worst characterization of her in the whole series and it is so bad that Twilight in Feeling Pinkie Keen feels pleasant compared to her characterization in Owl's Well that Ends Well.

latest?cb=20130826211530

Perhaps if you had actually shown the empathy for Spike you should've picked up from him after years of working together with him that your friends have shown they have in far less time than you do, perhaps this wouldn't have happened Twilight. 

5. And the reason why Twilight and Owlicious were able to find Spike was through a contrived premise of ketchup on the ground floor. This makes no sense for how they were able to use the ketchup to find it considering how:

A. Spike would have been travelling through the dirt, grass, and leaves on his way to the cave and it would likely have scrubbed it off enough that the residue would be too small to see.

B. It rained at one point in the day Spike left so this would ensure that whatever traces were there would be wiped out by the rain storm. 

latest?cb=20120303002358

So tell me how did they managed to find the ketchup residue through that rain!?

Conclusion: Owl's Well that Ends Well is quite possibly Season 1's worst episode in my honest opinion. With how badly characterized Twilight Sparkle was in the episode, Owlicious's dubious behavior and actions that was never called out, the remane five's own celebration for Owlicious that greatly dampened on the celebration they had for Spike, poor humor, and a contrived ketchup plot point that makes no sense for how it worked, regardless of being the first episode to introduce Owlicious to us, Owl's Well that Ends Well is now my worst episode in Season 1. 

Score: 3.5/10

Grade: F-

• Like 2

Between this and "Spike at your service", it really does seem like Spike is the one doing the whole leg work in their relationship. At least Twilight's followed him during Dragon Quest and The Gauntlet of Fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

2. The gang reduces the praises that they gave to Spike at the meteor shower scene by throwing the same praise onto Owlicious but Rarity even made the same bow for him. This is why that affectionate scene at the meteor shower was reduced in it's effectiveness as we see them throwing the same congratulations onto the newcomer owl as well.

I wanted to KILL someone at this point. Also, this is becoming a problem with MLP...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Starting with the 'whoot jokes, this particular humor used in a couple of spots to highlight how Owlicious speaks with hoot for an answer and how Spike and Twilight try to figure out what he's saying. This was not only not funny for how repetitive and insipid it was but to make matters worse than do this same joke multiple times just to hit it on your head of how they think you should be laughing at this joke or so.

Agreed a thousand percent. It got so old and annoying. Hell, in my own review every time it came up, I had to do some sort of gag to liven it up.

4. This episode held not only Twilight's worst behavior in season 1 but it can be argued to be the worst in the series too. If Twilight was a stubborn asshole to Pinkie Pie in the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen, than Twilight was an uncaring and oblivious jackass to Spike here. Here is what she had done to Spike in the episode:

It may not be the 'worst' in the series for me... but it is damned low and close to the bottom. You're right how much of a jackass she was.

their relationship based solely on this episode can be described as 'Master and Slave' type of relationship.

Hell, based on other episodes, it could be seen like that.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 11:16 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Today's episode I'll review is A Bird in a Hoof, the twenty second episode in Season 1 and series of Friendship is Magic. It was written by Charlotte Fullerton with the storyboard artists being Sabrina Alberghetti and Nicole Wang. 

According to Lauren Faust, this episode was originally conceived as a 'tug at your heart string' episode about losing a pet. 

Your summary is that Fluttershy birdnaps Celestia's pet bird Philomena in an attempt to nurse it back to health.

Positives:

1. Philomena, the trolling Phoenix bird is hilarious and clearly the star of the episode. 

latest?cb=20130112063220

Guess which bird is Philomena.

Being the front and center attention of the episode, Celestia's royal pet Philomena is quite a character to behold while only appearing on the show in one episode. We see throughout the trek that after Fluttershy birdnaps her with good intentions of healing her back to health, Philomena decides to take a turn to troll Fluttershy via getting hot or cold in extremes, refusing to take medicine, still being sick, and when things were going out of hand with Twilight forcing to feed it the soup, she bailed on em and a funny Benny Hill inspired theme song played in the background as they try to apprehend the bird. Than as a 'final act' before it's restoration, Philomena pretended it died and just as it fell down, while Fluttershy was trying to catch it, it burned up and turned to ash shocking everyone for what happened.

latest?cb=20120117000454

Now that is some dark comedy there. 

Only for Celestia herself to come and tell it to stop having fun with em and reveal that it is alright. She complied and revealed herself as magnificent phoenix bird in glorious health much to everyone's pleasant surprise. 

Philomena is a delightfully fun character as she holds a very mischievous streak in her where she takes pleasure in having fun with ponies however she can. In terms of pets, I feel Philomena is pretty underrated and deserves more love as she has certainly shown herself to be a grade A troll character.

2. This also happens to be one of rare instances where we get to see a glimpse in Celestia's character too in the show. 

latest?cb=20120916041725

How do you think the bird became such a troll? Her master is funny too.

While we're still waiting out on that Celestia episode she so badly needs, here in season 1 we're given a rare glimpse of Celestia's character past her monolithic monarch status and shown that she likes to have some lighthearted moments to help lighten the mood up such as the tea scene and seems to enjoy comedy as well considering how Philomena is and how Celestia does like to partake in comedy herself. 

3. We're also given our first appearance of the phoenix bird in the show. Through Philomena's exploits and Celestia's exposition on her, we know the series includes the famed phoenix birds of fantasy onto here. These fire birds that can resurrect themselves was played to it's full effect here for comedic purposes and they will play an important role in an episode in S2 as well. I wish for more of these birds if they're more like Philomena. 

4. I especially liked Fluttershy in the episode too.  One thing that I will say that enjoyed here was Fluttershy as despite Fluttershy stealing a royal bird from Celestia, she had good intentions of tending and caring for the bird so we see her throughout trying her hardest to nurse it back to health only for her ignorance on the bird to stymie her as she has no idea how to do it. Regardless she tries with all of her might to find a way to make the bird happy as much as she could.

latest?cb=20111219191329

If only Fluttershy asked sooner

Than after some funny benny hill chase themes occurring and Philomena's 'death', we see both Twilight and Fluttershy try to accept responsibility for it which is admirable on them for trying to make amends for it. There after Celestia reveals Philomena's bird species type, Fluttershy learns of why it's important to ask instead of taking stuff as you may come upon a situation you don't know that can easily be explained by the person for what it is.

Negatives:

1. The pacing in this episode is really slow. Now the episode's biggest problem was of how slow the pacing was as the episode took it's sweet time in developing and moving it's narrative simply because outside of some shenanigans with Philomena at the expense of the ponies there really wasn't much else about this episode so it had to pace it really really slowly. 

latest?cb=20120324073758

While fun and sincere, be prepared to watch five minutes of her attempting to bring the bird back to health at her cottage.

Now pacing can be problematic if it's done too fast or too slow as it highlights the problem with your narration that you have too many stuff to cram in or too few to put in respectively. You got to find the right balance of time for each scene so you can entertain the audience with a new plot point while at the same time give it the time it needs to sink in, but not feel dragged out. In this episode's case, it was apparent that there wasn't alot of stuff in it. But still this episode is very solid fundamental wise so the slow pacing isn't as bad in comparison.

2. I didn't like the party jokes at the party scene with Celestia outside of a tea moment with her. While the comedy is pretty good here, not all of it was great as I didn't like Rarity's gag in being overly protective of her dress simply because if she is that protective of it at a little party why did she bring it in the first place, and Applejack being confused at what to eat just felt forced for the sake of comedy too. 

latest?cb=20111007224246

Makes you wonder why she brought it in the first place considering how rather casual it is and her being very protective about it.

Conclusion: A Bird in a Hoof is about one thing and it does that one thing very well which is showing off how hilarious the trolling phoenix bird Philomena is. This was really her episode with Fluttershy being caught in it unwittingly for not asking Celestia if it was alright to take the bird. This episode also shares as being one of the few moments of character traits we can find for Celestia in the series too and of how rather well the narration for Fluttershy's tale is regardless of how painfully slow the pacing was for it.

Score: 8.0/10

Grade: C+

Best part:

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 2:40 PM, Jederick said:

Between this and "Spike at your service", it really does seem like Spike is the one doing the whole leg work in their relationship. At least Twilight's followed him during Dragon Quest and The Gauntlet of Fire.

Rather sad of how poorly Twilight has been portrayed in episodes that Twilight needs it the most.

On 12/18/2016 at 3:24 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I wanted to KILL someone at this point. Also, this is becoming a problem with MLP...

I'll need to refresh on this more but I believe in ya. Sorry I couldn't fill in with some examples right now.

On 12/18/2016 at 7:20 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Agreed a thousand percent. It got so old and annoying. Hell, in my own review every time it came up, I had to do some sort of gag to liven it up.

It may not be the 'worst' in the series for me... but it is damned low and close to the bottom. You're right how much of a jackass she was.

Hell, based on other episodes, it could be seen like that.

Yes on the humor, it's fine if you know something else worse in comparison, and I would believe in it considering how Twiligtht's characterization is in Spike's episodes.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:20 PM, Anti-Villain said:

Best part:

:P

• Like 1

Today's episode to review is Party of One, the twenty fifth episode of Season 1 and FIM series. It is written by Meghan McCarthy with the storyboard artists being Tom Sales and Sam To.

Not much to say other than as part of the kindergarten level of censorship from Canada's Treehouse TV, they muted all mentions of losers from the episode.

The summary of the episode is that Pinkie Pie tries to host another party after hosting Gummy's birthday party to which her friends seems to be avoiding her for whatever reason.

Positives:

1. The humor in this episode was particular good, even with some subtle dark comedy moments of someone going insane. 

latest?cb=20140413032944

Pinkie Pie does look better with her hair down, I guess folks look cuter the more insane they are.

This I will make mention of is that the humor of the episode is pretty funny for me from the spy gags, Gummy, the chase scenes where Pinkie Pie used her toon force to chase down Rainbow Dash, and of course the moments when Pinkie Pie went insane even showed off some subtle and good dark comedy moments in the episode too. 

2. This episode can be considered the first to not only really explore on what makes Pinkie Pie tick but also show her at her most vulnerable when she is without friends to make happy for.

latest?cb=20121023063834

The most notable thing about the episode is of how it treated Pinkie Pie. Here this is her story where we get to see her in action as she hosts a party for Gummy's birthday, her then one year old alligator for which she takes the time and even dresses in a unique getups for each of her friends as she sings their invitation telegrams for them and makes the preparations to cater to Gummy's needs that would be fun for her friends to enjoy. Then after the party was finished and hearing how they would like to have another party soon, Pinkie quickly comes up with an after party party celebration for Gummy to which she finds that none of her friends want to go and using excuses to avoid it. She grows suspicious of this and sees they are sneaking around behind her back with a package for which she gives chase at Rainbow Dash until she manages to enter Applejack's barn before she does. Spurned away by it, Pinkie Pie starts to grow more desperate and decides to interrogate Spike, not as something to get answers but more to validate her concerns that they no longer want to be her friends anymore.

latest?cb=20120105091827

Pinkie Pie than takes a turn for crazyville.

Soon after, Pinkie Pie lets her insanity take control over her as she begins to use inanimate objects as people to speak to as she lets her insanity tell her of how her friends no longer care for her and how she should dump them instead. Good thing Rainbow Dash had shown up as she did in the nick of time for her surprise birthday party.

This episode does a fantastic job to show Pinkie Pie of this:

A. She's a party mare that wishes to see others feel happy.

B. She will go beyond the effort to ensure the party makes everyone happy for them.

C. She cares very much for her friends to the point that if she had none around, she will go insane for it.

I especially enjoyed the good use of the insanity trope where it was used to great effect to really emphasize of just how much Pinkie Pie values her friends while still maintaining it under the education label that surely prohibited them from gong even deeper but still this is a great narrative work for what they have done for Pinkie Pie in the episode and it should be cherished as such.

3. The episode's lesson of expect the best from your friends instead of the worst is a good way to state to not be so paranoid of your friend's actions and to assume they have your best interest at heart if they're in such good terms with you. This is a good lesson of not being so cynical with your friend's motives and to assume the best in em as there are times when friendships have been damaged due to trust issues. Being optimistic for your friend's actions are a better view to take for if you were in the spot to suspect that they would even think of ruining you, you either need to take the cynical lenses off or your relationship isn't so good.

Negatives:

1. To ensure the plot goes according to plan, Pinkie Pie forgot her own birthday. 

latest?cb=20120105092444

Happy Pinkie Pie from realizing her friends were building a birthday party.

While this is not such a bad thing considering how forgetting one's birthday party can be a viable excuse, still this point was clearly made to ensure that Pinkie Pie wouldn't suspect they were building a surprise party for her and considering how detailed we see Pinkie Pie about party planning in Season 5 i comes off more as a convenient plot device for the narration.

Conclusion: Party of One is a sublime Pinkie Pie episode that remains not only one of Season 1's best episodes but of the series in general. With good use of the insanity trope, the humor it used for the episode, and a good lesson to heed this episode really explored and expressed Pinkie Pie's character in great ways that have had a lasting impact on her character despite the relatively minor flaw of conveniently forgetting her own birthday for the plot's sake.

Score: 9.5/10

Grade: A

• Like 3

On 12/20/2016 at 5:29 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

This is one of those awesome Pinkie Pie episodes. Just insanely good. Makes me wanna reach through the screen and hug her.

Hug the pink pony!

Today's episode to review is the twenty sixth episode of FIM and the final episode of Season 1, Best Night Ever. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers with the storyboard artists being Kenny Park and Lih Liau.

According to the writer of the story, Amy Keating Rogers, herself, the first draft of the episode was 39 pages which is 6 more than the show's usual average of 33 pages. A longer version of the piggy dance to chicken dance was considered for the episode and it would've came before the Pony Pokey dance song. A glimpse of the episode's ending was shown on the My Little Pony game Discover the Difference where the ponies were wearing their dresses for the gala at a modest table eating donuts at the donut shop while being untidy. The fancy band Pinkie Pie spots in the episode would be later used in the later episode Luna Eclipsed where they wore costumes and used different instruments in their stead.

Your summary is that the girls eagerly prepare for the night at the Grand Galloping Gala however they can so they can fulfill their dream of having their best night there.

Positives:

1. I really really enjoyed with how the narration and story was crafted here and the anti Cinderella themes it used throughout Best Night Ever.  Best Night Ever's story is one of the best in the series in my honest opinion. I really also enjoyed the themes and it's point it was trying to make with it in the episode which is, dreaming up a fantasy vs. what actually happens in real life. We start off with this theme by taking a subtle difference to how other mediums play up women getting ready for a dance.

latest?cb=20130105011546

In this segment, we see Rarity applying fake eyelashes on her which look painful and Applejack spitting on Fluttershy's hooves to get it cleaned her way. Instead of some sequence where it shows how the girls are getting prettier for the Grand Galloping Gala, it actually shows how rather unkempt it can get getting ready.

Than after the awesome song number that I will get to eventually, the girls find their spots they wanted to have at the party

latest?cb=20130105013244

Twilight spending time with Celestia.

latest?cb=20111009191226

Rarity getting the chance to meet her person of interest to be with in Prince Blueblood.

latest?cb=20120205232949

Fluttershy being able to spend time at the Canterlot Garden.

latest?cb=20121030023252

Applejack selling her foods at the Grand Galloping Gala and making dough quickly.

latest?cb=20130105013714

Rainbow Dash getting the chance to speak with the wonderbolts.

latest?cb=20110928030308

Pinkie Pie being able to party at the Grand Galloping Gala

There it shows off of how it seems the gang was going to achieve their dreams for their Grand Galloping Gala night until the narration takes a gleeful stab at each other's dreams for it's own pleasure in the form of Celestia being too busy greeting the guests to speak with Twilight, Prince Blueblood is a greedy selfish prince for Rarity, nobody wants to buy any food at AJ's kiosk after Soarin, no animal wants to speak with Fluttershy, the Wonderbolts are too busy speaking with others to speak with Rainbow Dash, and other party goers tell Pinkie Pie to cease her partying as it's too rambunctious for their liking. This greatly disappoints each and everyone of them:

latest?cb=20111204065859

latest?cb=20110928222551

latest?cb=20121111044409

latest?cb=20121111042829

latest?cb=20130103042551

latest?cb=20121111043736

Of course, not wanting their night to go bad, they fight back to try to make it their best night via Twilight tries to take some of the duties of greeting the ponies for Celestia to give her a break, Rarity tries to have Prince Blueblood do something generous and chivalrous for her, Applejack tries to entice folks to buy her foods, Pinkie Pie tries to rev up the party, Rainbow Dash tries to do something heroic to get the Wonderbolt's attention to speak with her, and Fluttershy tries to capture animals to force them to speak with her. This still ends up badly for them as none of them are able to make a dent to have their wish be fulfilled.

latest?cb=20120214110009

With some angry results.

This would cause the party to get crashed for everyone at their own misfortune:

latest?cb=20150304002640

To better highlight of how this episode seems to be the 'anti Cinderella' in story theme along with Twilight's attempt at turning an apple into a carrige and mice into horses for them only for Opalescence to scare the horses off, they even have Rarity drop her glass slipper for which she eagerly destroys just to ensure there is no chance for Prince Blueblood to find her. 

Still they did rendezvous with Spike at Donut Joe's Donut shop for which in a scene similar to someone getting drunk, Spike angrily demanded more donuts. 

latest?cb=20130103044710

Moar!

After the girls realize just how lousy their night was, they decide to take solace and humor at how they at least still have each other to have fun at the donut shop, for which Celestia joins in as she thought it was the most fun she's had at a Grand Galloping Gala to end the episode on the great lesson of 'no matter how lousy your night is, so long as you have good friends for support, things will turn out better for you.'

latest?cb=20111204073213

I don't consider Celestia's remark of having the best Grand Galloping Gala night she's had at the noble's expense to be a negative because her nightly plans got wrecked too and it was of no consequence to the narrative.

The whole episode's theme is essentially against everything Walt Disney's Cinderella is where that story's theme was of how dreaming and wishing for it will eventually happen to you which Walt Disney loved and considered his favorite work, Best Night Ever takes a far more cynical look at it where it points of how many times your dream may not meet with the reality of the situation for which you may end up suffering for it. It mitigates this cynicism with a good positive lesson that despite how bad the girl's night was, they at least can salvage it with each other's company. This ends the Grand galloping gala arc on a high note to be enjoyed.

2. The Episode song, At the Gala is really great. The episode had a really great song to offer for the audience at the Gala's entrance with the song at the gala. Backed by an excellent chorus and instrumentals, the song carries the mane 6's desire to see how they would like their night to be like and the scenes it offers for each of them greatly enhances the song's vision and them it wanted to carry in it which was the Girls were finally at the Grand Galloping Gala to which they can fulfill their dream there at last.

latest?cb=20120625182331

Yea we're here at last to complete this arc up!

3. The humor here is great too. Another thing that I enjoyed here was the humor as outside of the screaming Fluttershy and her attempts at capturing the animals, Rarity's sexual innuendo at Prince Blueblood, Twilight's hoof getting squeezed too hard, squealing Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie's brand of partying, and drunk Spike this episode has plenty of humor from the cast for all to enjoy.

latest?cb=20111010004332

The joke in question

Negatives:

1. None. Yes really, I can't find anything wrong with the narration or anything annoying that would hamper it. As mentioned, Celestia's remark of having the best grand galloping gala night ever at the noble's misfortunes is not a slight at them but of how she had fun at how the party was trashed which she never had planned for it as while she had hoped the mane 6 would liven the party up, it wasn't to wreck it. Her point here was more of a case of how she's taking the results with a silver lining that hey at least it was an entertaining wreck at least. Other than then that, I don't see anything wrong with the episode.

Conclusion: Best Night Ever, despite ending the simplest arc and being one of two finales that was a one parter may actually be the best one the series has seen in both regards. With how well made and crafted this episode is in narration, use of it's theme, lesson, and humor this episode can be considered a sublime example of FIM at it's best. This episode to me proves my adage, a perfectly made PB&J sandwich is better than a messy lemon cake. Meaning that one should not be ashamed to writing a well crafted and great simple story as it is better than trying to but failing to reach with a more complicated but messier tale. This is something that honestly I would like for the show to go back to as I feel we've been trying to beat this episode's quality with more elaborate and meatier stories but their execution on em cannot match the perfection this story achieved for what it wanted to do. This is the best finale in the show and arguably Season 1's best episode.

Score: 10/10

Grade: A+

• Like 3