Nova S. Aurora

Nintendo Switch coming March 2017

35 posts in this topic

Well, this certainly looks interesting.

So, it looks to be some kind of handheld that plugs into a stand or something so you can play it on your TV too. Wonder what the battery life is?

On another front, there looks to be a new Mario game in development. And either new stuff for Splatoon or a Splatoon 2 in the works as well. Also, was that Skyrim at one point (the part with the dragon)? And LoZ: Breath of the Wild looks good too.

It's not too far from release either ('bout half a year out, I think), which kinda surprises me a little (but not that much). I kinda assumed it'd be out later in 2017 (but I'm fine with it coming out in March too).

Overall, I'm interested in the Nintendo Switch... But I need to see more before I start getting hype.

I'm not going to lie. When they originally said it was going to be a portable console, I was real curious as to what they had planned for it.

My expectations were exceeded to say the least.

2 hours ago, Ribbon said:

was that Skyrim at one point (the part with the dragon)?

Yes, that was Skyrim! That means Bethesda has a publishing license with Nintendo. Looking forward to see what comes.

This is one to keep your eyes on. Playing everywhere, portable and Skyrim on an Nintendo console.

All they need to do is to have it at a reasonable price and it is officially a need for me.

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Yes, that was Skyrim! That means Bethesda has a publishing license with Nintendo. Looking forward to see what comes.

I thought so, but I never played it so I wasn't sure. Cool that it's there tho, even if I probably won't be grabbing it (doesn't look like my kind of game, personally I'm more excited for the new Mario game, Breath of the Wild, and possibly new Splatoon stuff).

On another subject, will the Switch have a touch screen? I'm assuming no, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did. And if it does or doesn't have a touch screen, will that affect battery life in any way? Random question, but I'm just curious.

5 minutes ago, RogueCookie said:

This is one to keep your eyes on. Playing everywhere, portable and Skyrim on an Nintendo console.

All they need to do is to have it at a reasonable price and it is officially a need for me.

Yeah, this was almost a must-have for me the second it was a portable and a regular console. I'm just waiting to see the line-up of games it'll get (already excited to see Splatoon on it, and new Mario & Zelda are intriguing, but I need something more before I go from want-it to need-it).

1 minute ago, Ribbon said:

On another subject, will the Switch have a touch screen? I'm assuming no, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did. And if it does or doesn't have a touch screen, will that affect battery life in any way? Random question, but I'm just curious.

From the looks of it, it seems they did not include a touch screen for the sake of clarity and weight. But this is just an assumption, as they have not mentioned whether or not it has a touch screen. To me, it just seems a bit like a gimmick to have a touch screen.

Hm, solid design (I loved the Wii u gamepad) but a decent use for the separate controller too. Looks like both will be chargeable so no need for batteries. And a return to cartridges is actually pretty nostalgic.

From what I saw we are getting a new Mario Kart, Splatoon HD (or possibly a sequel), the skyrim remaster, and obviously the new Zelda game. I'm sure there will be more details on the launch titles in the months to come, but I'm already looking forward to it.

At least the Wii U had a solid run, unlike the Wii and it's focus on family games.

EDIT: It's looking more like a Splatoon sequel. The Inklings have varying hairstyles. Hope they went crazy with the customizations!

5 minutes ago, DawnOfNoob said:

From what I saw we are getting a new Mario Kart, Splatoon HD (or possibly a sequel), the skyrim remaster, and obviously the new Zelda game. I'm sure there will be more details on the launch titles in the months to come, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Here's primarily what I'm hoping for:
Pikmin 4
Super Smash Bros NX
Animal Crossing NX

And I'm excited for:
Mario Kart NX (Or whatever)
Zelda: BotW
New Mario Game (Galaxy 3? Or...?)

So, it's a Handheld with detachable independent Bluetooth controllers and a docking station that turns it into a stationary console.

Huh, didn't think Nintendo had the knack for innovation anymore, color me impressed. Even if it is a glorified tablet with custom controllers and a docking station it's still nicely designed and the specs seem to be decent if it's running Skyrim. Some questions still stand about battery life and the durability of the controllers with the whole slide-in thing, but all in all the Switch looks pretty handy.

4 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

From the looks of it, it seems they did not include a touch screen for the sake of clarity and weight. But this is just an assumption, as they have not mentioned whether or not it has a touch screen. To me, it just seems a bit like a gimmick to have a touch screen.

Yeah, but it's a gimmick that was on both previous handheld consoles by Nintendo (the DS and 3DS), so I could see them adding it to the Switch (almost reflexively typed NX again, hopefully that'll stop soon).

1 hour ago, MoltenKitten said:

Skyrim is not confirmed despite being in the trailer

The mario kart section intrigues me. It looks identical to 8 except for 2 differences, Boo and stacked items.

Really? So... why was it in the trailer if it might not be going on the Switch?

On Mario Kart... maybe they're just going to port over 8 with some new stuff added?

3 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Here's primarily what I'm hoping for:
Pikmin 4
Super Smash Bros NX
Animal Crossing NX

And I'm excited for:
Mario Kart NX (Or whatever)
Zelda: BotW
New Mario Game (Galaxy 3? Or...?)

Pikmin 4... I haven't played any past the first (though I've meant to for so long...), but I'd be interested in picking up a new one.

Smash NX... Sounds like a good time to me. Or just port over Sm4sh and add Ice Climbers (because it sucks that they missed Sm4sh, and I liked them and would enjoy their return, plus they'd maybe get a cool trailer) and a few other characters (Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Ganondorf with a sword, Black Shadow with something similar to Ganondorf's current moveset to replace him, Bandana Dee, Ridley, Dark Pit with a non-clone moveset, these are just a few possibilities (admittedly all from a personal wishlist, ranging from unlikely to I-doubt-it'll-ever-happen-but-wouldn't-it-be-cool-tho, but still) and possibly a couple of new stages (or just have all the stages from the 3DS and WiiU versions on the same game), that'd work too.

Animal Crossing NX... I haven't played an AC in so long. I could be interested in a new one, but it wouldn't be a must-buy.

Mario Kart NX... This one seems likely. Unless they just port over 8 with some new stuff.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild... I don't usually look forward to Zeldas any more, but this one has me interested.

New Mario Game... Probably not Galaxy 3. Loooks like a new thing to me (hopefully a new thing; much as I like 3D World and Galaxy, I'd like to go back to something more like 64/Sunshine). Either way, I'll be super hyped when this gets announced.

3 hours ago, DawnOfNoob said:

EDIT: It's looking more like a Splatoon sequel. The Inklings have varying hairstyles. Hope they went crazy with the customizations!

I'm hoping for crazy customizations too, mate. And new weapons. And Specials being mapped to the left trigger instead of pushing a control stick in (or really just anything but pushing a control stick in). And playable Octolings.

Also pants. And maybe dancing during matches as a taunt?

And maybe an octopus barber? I mean, I'm only thinking of this because of Parappa The Rapper 2 (and the sudden appearance of multiple hairstyles), but still.

1 minute ago, Ribbon said:

Pikmin 4... I haven't played any past the first (though I've meant to for so long...), but I'd be interested in picking up a new one.

[...]

Mario Kart NX... This one seems likely. Unless they just port over 8 with some new stuff.

New Mario Game... Probably not Galaxy 3. Loooks like a new thing to me (hopefully a new thing; much as I like 3D World and Galaxy, I'd like to go back to something more like 64/Sunshine). Either way, I'll be super hyped when this gets announced.

I would recommend playing the other two Pikmin games, they're all really good, but each one has its own feel.
I'm sure they'll make a new Mario Kart, there's been a new one on each and every console/portable since the SNES.
I hope the new Mario game takes a leaf out of the 64/Sunshine books, Sunshine is my favorite Mario game of all time.

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I would recommend playing the other two Pikmin games, they're all really good, but each one has its own feel.

I figured that was how it worked (especially 2, since it doesn't have a time limit), but I've never gotten around to it (was in university when they came out & didn't have time for gaming for most of it).

I'm sure they'll make a new Mario Kart, there's been a new one on each and every console/portable since the SNES.

Oh, most likely. Might even pick this one up (university made me skip 8, unfortunately).

I hope the new Mario game takes a leaf out of the 64/Sunshine books, Sunshine is my favorite Mario game of all time.

I really need to go back and replay Sunshine. I only like a few Mario games more (Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Super Mario Galaxy's somewhere close but I dunno if I'd put it above Sunshine or not), but it's been so long that I don't fully recall why any more.

I have fond memories of 64, but that might be because I was a kid when I was playing it (though I largely enjoyed the DS remake, so maybe it isn't all nostalgia?).

So I agree, new Mario needs to go more 64/Sunshine-y. Or at least, I would like it to as well.

I love the Pikmin games, but my Childhood self didn't handle time limits well. My neighbor was a beast at the game though - so I saw the best ending. I was close to beating 2 with my brother, but memory card corruption kinda put the nail in the coffin for that. Pikmin 3....I just watched a LP of - kinda wish I picked that up though.

I didn't get to play MK8 either sadly. MK7 was kind of a let down for me when compared to Mario Kart DS. I had so many hours clocked into that game - and Airship Fortress was my bread and butter. (Much to the chagrin of my gamer buddies in High School) I was grateful that my favorite level made a return in MK7, but I LOATHED the cheating 150cc AI in that game - so that put a damper on unlocking everything like i did in MKDS

They'll probably go the Galaxy route honestly. Mario 64 is one of the flagship Mario titles, but Galaxy and its sequel blew a lot of people away with its creativity. If they do something new and creative - all the better.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, DawnOfNoob said:

I didn't get to play MK8 either sadly. MK7 was kind of a let down for me when compared to Mario Kart DS. I had so many hours clocked into that game - and Airship Fortress was my bread and butter. (Much to the chagrin of my gamer buddies in High School) I was grateful that my favorite level made a return in MK7, but I LOATHED the cheating 150cc AI in that game - so that put a damper on unlocking everything like i did in MKDS

This is why you need to stop relying on snaking. Gawd damn pissing contest of a game mechanic in MKDS.

1 hour ago, Toki Zensekai said:

This is why you need to stop relying on snaking. Gawd damn pissing contest of a game mechanic in MKDS.

Okay...? I was never really consistent with the trick to begin with aside from a few tracks. Kinda had to learn a bit of it to stay competitive against my friends in High School. (I was usually in the top 3 at my school) Probably the one thing MKDS taught me was how to handle corners better.

But in short, I just couldn't get into playing MK7 casually. (And nobody around me played it anyways) I hated the AI and that EVERYTHING worthwhile was gated behind 150cc Grand Prix circuits. And it certainly didn't help trying to fight bad RNG for a couple months while dealing with a lot of IRL stress at the time. So I moved on to other games. It's a solid game, but personal experiences ruined it for me. 

13 hours ago, Bright Honor said:

This looks great...and expensive.

I think it's everyone's thoughts is that price. I mean, the trailer is showing that it should be more readily available to the masses, but it seems doubtful it'd be affordable.

On 10/22/2016 at 8:06 PM, Toki Zensekai said:

I think it's everyone's thoughts is that price. I mean, the trailer is showing that it should be more readily available to the masses, but it seems doubtful it'd be affordable.

It's estimated to be in the 250-350 USD range. Although, Nintendo could throw a curveball and make it higher, but that's a terrible marketing decision.

It certainly looks interesting.

It depends on what games come out for it.

But I've got my eye on it. I never got a Wii U. We'll see when it comes to this one.