VG_Addict

Why did the movie get mixed reviews?

Why do you think the reception for the movie was mixed? Was it because of the stigma still attached to MLP, or was the movie just not that good?

The first reason I'd think of is that it wasn't seen only by the fans of the show. And then, even some fans didn't like it as much.

I don't think that this stigma (that I think does exist) is enough to warrant 'a mixed reaction'. Mostly it would get reduced to a few '0/10 Was Gay' kind of reviews that would and should be ignored.

In conclusion, I think that the movie was ok, but didn't deserve stellar reviews even if the only reason I ended watching it is because I'm a fan. What I mean is that 'it wasn't that good'.

EDIT: I think this thread could benefit from a poll.

Edited by Metemponychosis

Speaking as a fan with no stigma towards colorful ponies, I have to say that the movie was not great. It introduced a bunch of new settings and characters but hardly did anything with them. The ponies show up, they say 'hi', then they make a hurried exit. When I think of how many season premieres, finales, and even single episodes deserved the length of a movie to tell their stories, I really wish THE My Little Pony movie had been on the narrative level of A Royal Canterlot Wedding, instead of the glorified toy commercial that we got.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, VG_Addict said:

Why do you think the reception for the movie was mixed? Was it because of the stigma still attached to MLP, or was the movie just not that good?

You are right about your first guess, as the stigma is one of the reasons why there is mixed reception; however, there are many other reasons I won't get into that resulted in this mixed reception. In the end, I think the movie was excellent, but obviously not blockbuster material (which should be expected due to the target audience of this movie).