DawnInPonyville

Starlight Glimmer is not OP

2 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

It's simple, when the Mane 6 did the Hearths Warming play they raised the modern flag, not the historical one. Like when you do a thanksgiving play in school and have the modern US flag even though the pilgrims would have raised the British flag at the time.

Celestia and Luna were still foals during the events of Hearths Warming Eve, the flag depicts them as adults. So it's not the original flag from the time.

What's the point of calling play historical if you switch things for modern conveniences. >_>" Eh, well, that answers that. So ponies came to Equestria, then came Discord, then came Regal Sisters. Come to think of it, all evil folks come from beyond Equestria. Tirek and his brother, Sombra, Discord, Chrysalis...

Just now, Ebon Scar said:

What's the point of calling play historical if you switch things for modern conveniences. >_>" Eh, well, that answers that. So ponies came to Equestria, then came Discord, then came Regal Sisters. Come to think of it, all evil folks come from beyond Equestria. Tirek and his brother, Sombra, Discord, Chrysalis...

We use modern flags all the time. When was the last time that you saw an historically accurate confederate flag in a school play north of Texas?

The chain of events was that the 3 tribes founded Equestria, then Starswirl asked the princesses to lead the ponies in a purely ceremonial manner. Then Discord came and took over. It wasn't explicitly stated, but they may only have been foals at the time.

Sometime afterwards Celestia and Luna found the elements of harmony, discovers how to use them, and return to defeat Discord. it was neve explicetly stated how much time had passed.

After that they became actual leaders of Equestria.

There is no one single source that says all of this, it's a combination of several episodes, the Journal of the Two Sisters, and a small amount of headcanon.

2 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

We use modern flags all the time. When was the last time that you saw an historically accurate confederate flag in a school play north of Texas?

The chain of events was that the 3 tribes founded Equestria, then Starswirl asked the princesses to lead the ponies in a purely ceremonial manner. Then Discord came and took over. It wasn't explicitly stated, but they may only have been foals at the time.

Sometime afterwards Celestia and Luna found the elements of harmony, discovers how to use them, and return to defeat Discord. it was neve explicetly stated how much time had passed.

After that they became actual leaders of Equestria.

There is no one single source that says all of this, it's a combination of several episodes, the Journal of the Two Sisters, and a small amount of headcanon.

I really need to catch up with MLP literature...

11 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Journal of the Two sisters has been declared Canon, as have the G M Berrow books

Any comic series I should dig up?

20 minutes ago, Ebon Scar said:

I don't think that it was ever specified where Crysalis came from, at least whether it was inside Equestria's borders or not. We just know that it was a swamp.

The syrens, too. We don't know where they originally came from.

7 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

I don't think that it was ever specified where Crysalis came from, at least whether it was inside Equestria's borders or not. We just know that it was a swamp.

The syrens, too. We don't know where they originally came from.

I dunno, Chrysalis did say she "brought" her subjects here and also said how "Equestria" has a lot of love. If she was from Equestria to begin with, it's a bit of a tight phrasing. I always felt she said that as if she came from outer lands.

4 minutes ago, Ebon Scar said:

Any comic series I should dig up?

Fiendship is Magic is a must read. It's available in a single paperback compilation volume.

It's the canonical origins of the main villains, except for Discord. It is the only place where most of these characters get any actual backstory. Sombra's is especially good and is later continued in the regular comic series.

The G M Berrow books are OK but they are children's books. Darring Do's books are probably the best. Berrow's books give Cadance a backstory, though it's very short, which ties in with the comic where Sombra returns.

The comic are pretty much the only place where most characters get any backstory that goes back before the pilot episode of the show.

1 minute ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Fiendship is Magic is a must read. It's available in a single paperback compilation volume.

It's the canonical origins of the main villains, except for Discord. It is the only place where most of these characters get any actual backstory. Sombra's is especially good and is later continued in the regular comic series.

The G M Berrow books are OK but they are children's books. Darring Do's books are probably the best. Berrow's books give Cadance a backstory, though it's very short, which ties in with the comic where Sombra returns.

The comic are pretty much the only place where most characters get any backstory that goes back before the pilot episode of the show.

Alrighty then, gonna read all that right after I finish re-watching all episodes again~

Just now, Ebon Scar said:

I dunno, Chrysalis did say she "brought" her subjects here and also said how "Equestria" has a lot of love. If she was from Equestria to begin with, it's a bit of a tight phrasing. I always felt she said that as if she came from outer lands.

I think that she was referring to Canterlot as "here"?

Either way, I don't think that there was anything in canon to say where it was, all that we know is that Chrysalis is one of the oldest villains. She predates Sombra, Tirek and Discord though we don't know by how much as the only character who links them is Star Swirl and we don't now how old he was.

Chrysalis is old enough to remember the Umbra during their reign, which could "possibly" (now entering headcanon territory) make her older than Celesta, as Celestia only knew of them as legends.

A lot of stuff is never actually said out loud, only implied.

1 minute ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

I think that she was referring to Canterlot as "here"?

Either way, I don't think that there was anything in canon to say where it was, all that we know is that Chrysalis is one of the oldest villains. She predates Sombra, Tirek and Discord though we don't know by how much as the only character who links them is Star Swirl and we don't now how old he was.

Chrysalis is old enough to remember the Umbra during their reign, which could "possibly" (now entering headcanon territory) make her older than Celesta, as Celestia only knew of them as legends.

A lot of stuff is never actually said out loud, only implied.

I now really hope they ain't gonna flush Chrysalis as easily as they did rest of the Changelings. ^ ^" Give her some two seasons of villanous mischief or something~

1 hour ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Let's be realistic here. This isn't a slice of life Anime, or one of those Dragonball style shows where the villain spends 25% of their face time monologing about their back story. It's an American cartoon for girls aged approximately 7-12.

What is your point when you say this?

Most of the character in this show have scant backstory. Most of the Mane 6's had almost zero backstory until Cutie Mark Chronicles. Which we didn't get until the first season was almost over. Since then we've been told almost nothing. A lot of what people think that they know is headcanon rather than something that was explicitly stated.

We went 6 seasons and all we knew about Fluttershy was that she was bullied in flight camp and she discovered her Cutie Mark when she fell of a cloud and visited the surface for what is presumably the fist time. She literally has no other backstory. We found out in season 6 that her parents are both shy as well, so we can headcanon that this is why she is shy, but that's about it.

We know even less about Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo is even more of a mystery. What do we actually know about her?

You didn't really read what I posted, did you?

It took us 23 episodes to find this out. CSGU wasn't even mentioned until episode 23, and Twilight IS the main character. We knew that she studied under the princess in the pilot, but their exact relationship wasn't mentioned.

Because I really think that you're not reading what I'm posting, because if you did, you'd realize that lack of information ceases to be a problem when that information is given, even if it is retroactively. And also that I think different kinds of characters require different levels of development. I mean, if we were talking about Twilight's background way back in season one, not only would this conversation be very different, and also that I don't need to know what happened to Applejack's parents, for example, to appreciate that she is a farmer. But I'd really like to know how the hell did Starlight Glimmer get to be the way she is, and "she lost her friend as a kid" is not enough to explain how did she come to be as she was in her introductory episode, and is now.

And also, I don't want you to present your interpretation of how that came to be. That is headcanon and I expect the cartoon to tell me about the character. And because it doesn't hurt to add it, I'll also mention that I don't hate the character, on the contrary, I want to know more about it.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2016 at 9:58 PM, Metemponychosis said:

What is your point when you say this?

Really? I thought that it was pretty clear. To reiterate, American girls aged 7-12 don't enjoy monologue in their cartoons. It doesn't play well with the audience demographic.

Because I really think that you're not reading what I'm posting, because if you did, you'd realize that lack of information ceases to be a problem when that information is given, even if it is retroactively.

Actually, I read it, but I disagreed with it, and I countered by making note of the fact that the show treats almost all characters in an identical manner. They get almost no introduction or backstory, and what does exist is largely dealt with in much the same manner as Starlight Glimmer. You get a single flashback, sometime two, right at the opposite end of the season that the character was first introduced.

You seem OK with this happening for the Mane 6, why the problem with Starlight Glimmer?

I don't need to know what happened to Applejack's parents, for example, to appreciate that she is a farmer.

But ... being orphaned at a young age was never presented as an important character trait? You're not really comparing like for like. Applejack's core character trait is "Family" in the broad sense of the word. Which - coincidentally - is not explained until episode 23.

Starlight Glimmer's core character trait was that she thought that Cutie Marks were a dividing influence as ponies concentrated heavily on them (or at least were expected to), and so she came to believe that if two ponies had cutie marks that took them in different directions then those ponies would be pulled\pushed apart by them.

This was clearly explained in the season finale. Which was almost the exact same number of episodes, and which took almost the exact same amount of viewing time, as for the Mane 6.

And also, I don't want you to present your interpretation of how that came to be. That is headcanon and I expect the cartoon to tell me about the character. And because it doesn't hurt to add it, I'll also mention that I don't hate the character, on the contrary, I want to know more about it.

Sorry, but unless you read a book where the authors intention is written clearly most of what we see on MLP is interpretation.

A significant part of what we "know" about MLP is headcanon. For example, until Slice of Life it wasn't canon that Lyra and Bonbon were friends. It was headcanon and fanon. The show staff put them together because their color pallets were complimentary and they didn't create a distraction from the foreground colors. They started to put them together more once fans became interested but it wasn't until Slice of Life that they actually spoke.

In fact, prior to Slice of Life there was only actually a single scene where BonBon actually reacted to Lyra's presence. Outside of this there are typically pictured together as part of crowd scenes.

On 08/11/2016 at 9:19 PM, Ebon Scar said:

I now really hope they ain't gonna flush Chrysalis as easily as they did rest of the Changelings. ^ ^" Give her some two seasons of villanous mischief or something~

She's quite a big player in the comics. She's had more page time than any other villain. In fact she's had more page time than all of the villain carried over from the show combined. Only Sombra comes close, and he got reformed so probably won't show up again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Really? I thought that it was pretty clear. To reiterate, American girls aged 7-12 don't enjoy monologue in their cartoons. It doesn't play well with the audience demographic.

You're the one that mentioned monologue, not me. I'm complaining about a character that is as deep as a cardboard cutout compared to others like her, inside the show itself. When you invoke the "target audience card" all I hear you saying that 7-12 aged girls in the US are stupid because you think that they can't see the difference. That is why I asked what was your point. Please don't go "really?" on me. And most importantly, fixing this problem wouldn't destroy anyone's enjoyment of the cartoon.

Actually, I read it, but I disagreed with it, and I countered by making note of the fact that the show treats almost all characters in an identical manner. They get almost no introduction or backstory, and what does exist is largely dealt with in much the same manner as Starlight Glimmer. You get a single flashback, sometime two, right at the opposite end of the season that the character was first introduced.

You seem OK with this happening for the Mane 6, why the problem with Starlight Glimmer?

I doubt that you have. Because I explained already why "the problem with Starlight Glimmer". Now, you're free to say that you disagree, but you seem to have missed the point.

But ... being orphaned at a young age was never presented as an important character trait? You're not really comparing like for like. Applejack's core character trait is "Family" in the broad sense of the word. Which - coincidentally - is not explained until episode 23.

You missed the point of the analogy. I don't need to know what happened to AJ's parents to appreciate that she is a farmer, because that has no bearing in that character trait. It's not exceptional for orphaned kids to be farmers. It's different from Starlight Glimmer's magical ability, that, whoever is responsible, pulled off their behind to make her a credible threat, in a world where unicorns don't just do what both she and Twilight can do.

Starlight Glimmer's core character trait was that she thought that Cutie Marks were a dividing influence as ponies concentrated heavily on them (or at least were expected to), and so she came to believe that if two ponies had cutie marks that took them in different directions then those ponies would be pulled\pushed apart by them.

The problem isn't only her motivation. Starlight Glimmer is analogous to Sky Stinger becoming Thor and destroying families because his didn't pay attention to him.

Sorry, but unless you read a book where the authors intention is written clearly most of what we see on MLP is interpretation.

A significant part of what we "know" about MLP is headcanon. For example, until Slice of Life it wasn't canon that Lyra and Bonbon were friends. It was headcanon and fanon. The show staff put them together because their color pallets were complimentary and they didn't create a distraction from the foreground colors. They started to put them together more once fans became interested but it wasn't until Slice of Life that they actually spoke.

It depends on what exactly you're talking about. Comparing Twilight and Starlight Glimmer, one is more robustly fleshed out. You can't say that Twilight learned all she knows from pixies in her bedroom, while in the case of Starlight Glimmer, you could make up anything you want, and it both can't be disproved and is utterly irrelevant. That is headcanon. "Twilight went to Celestia's school of magic" is canon. How did Starlight Glimmer learn magic? I don't know, and we're likely to have different headcanons, which are, by definition, a fan-created explanation to a canonical event that has no canonical explanation.

In fact, prior to Slice of Life there was only actually a single scene where BonBon actually reacted to Lyra's presence. Outside of this there are typically pictured together as part of crowd scenes.

It doesn't matter. Now I know they're friends and I have no reason to think that they weren't before. And this is why I say that giving Starlight Glimmer a decent past would fix my problem with her. Because of what I think, is a headcanon, and no one else other than needs to concern themselves over it. At least until the cartoon tells the audience what is what.

I've noticed that you have this habit of ignoring most of what I am writing in favor of picking individual sentences that you then take out of context and then try to make out that this is the important part of my comment.

For example:

On 10/11/2016 at 10:48 PM, Metemponychosis said:

all I hear you saying that 7-12 aged girls in the US are stupid because you think that they can't see the difference.

I didn't mention the intelligence of the audience, their nationality is largely irrelevant what I'm saying, and I didn't even mention them "not seeing the difference". These are all straw-man arguments from you.

It's just a regular ordinary fact that girls in the 7-12 year age range like their characters to start a show in their finalized form, and they don't like times-witching (Which is essentially what flashbacks are). You just need to accept that MLP isn't written for you, it's written for a younger audience.

Anime aimed at teenage boys can start off with a slice of life opener to introduce a character, who then expands over the first 2-3 episodes, and then has extra details added in afterwards through flashbacks later on. But this is just a turnoff for young girls. It's why most cartoons aimed at an American audience tend to start without a proper "first episode". You're supposed to be able to come into a series 2-3 episodes in and still be able to perfectly understand what is going on. It was exceedingly unusual for MLP to have a pilot episode where the Mane 6 met for the first time. Most other franchises would have had them already having been friends for a while on the first episode.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:48 PM, Metemponychosis said:

t depends on what exactly you're talking about. Comparing Twilight and Starlight Glimmer, one is more robustly fleshed out. You can't say that Twilight learned all she knows from pixies in her bedroom, while in the case of Starlight Glimmer, you could make up anything you want, and it both can't be disproved and is utterly irrelevant. That is headcanon. "Twilight went to Celestia's school of magic" is canon. How did Starlight Glimmer learn magic? I don't know, and we're likely to have different headcanons, which are, by definition, a fan-created explanation to a canonical event that has no canonical explanation.

I think that it's deeply unfair to compare a character who has been in the show for one season to the main character of a show who has been in it since the pilot episode.

You're looking back at Twilight with a full knowledge of over 100 episodes. There is no way that you can reasonably expect Starlight to have that much character building in such a short space of time.

If we look at Twilight she went for most of her first season with no back story at all beyond the fact that she studied under princess Celestia and was sent to Ponyville in the pilot episode. Pretty much anything else that you think that you know about her past back when the season aired is just head-canon. CSGU wasn't even mentioned in series canon until episode 23.

In comparison We found out about Starlight's past in the season 5 finale. That was her fourth episode. Did you spend the first 22 episodes of MLP feeling the same about Twilight as you do about Starlight Glimmer?

Starlight has two premises in the show one form her first appearance and one from her return as a good guy:

1) She thinks that differing Cutie Marks divide ponies and that they would be better off without them

2) She has difficulty understanding friendship and needs a helping hoof

We find out exactly why she is the way that she is in a single flashback. From that moment onward the show switches form the first premise to the second one. They want us to concentrate on who she is now and who she could become. It's all about moving forwards.

Where Starlight studied magic is largely irrelevant to the story. Twilight having studied under Celestia is relevant because the two characters have a student-mentor relationship. All that is really relevant to Starlight is why she hated Cutie Marks, which is exactly what we were shown.

If you think that this makes her a cardboard cutout character, I will reiterate: None of the Mane 6 were given detailed backstories. Do you think that Fluttershy is a cardboard cutout character because she's had about 3 minutes of backstory in 6 seasons?

@Aaargh Zombies I have absolutely no pretensions of being, or even trying to be perfect. But if you're going to accuse me of something, you better make sure you're not the one doing it to begin with and see that I may be ignoring things you said because you missed the point several times. Either way, I'm done repeating myself, this talk ceased to be fun and you're the one that brought up the cartoon's nationality while arguing about it's country of origin.

Just now, Metemponychosis said:

@Aaargh Zombies I have absolutely no pretensions of being, or even trying to be perfect. But if you're going to accuse me of something, you better make sure you're not the one doing it to begin with and see that I may be ignoring things you said because you missed the point several times. Either way, I'm done repeating myself, this talk ceased to be fun and you're the one that brought up the cartoon's nationality while arguing about it's country of origin.

You've now stopped putting the "Quote" sections in at.

For anybody reading this comment, the "accusation" that they are referring to is that I don't think that it's fair to single out a new character for having less back story than characters who have been in a show for 6 entire seasons. Especially given the fact that those characters have the absolute minimum of backstory themselves. Most of which comes from a single episode.

I also only raise the country of origin to contrast the difference between MLP and Anime, where is is common for characters to have long exposition sequences where a villain will monologue their entire plan and\or back story during a a tense or dramatic scene.

Such scenes would not fit in MLP.

Uhhum.

I have always seen her cutiemark as the star stand for big talent and the green wirl as a falling star. Like - She is below Twillight who has the star with stars around it - so Twillight gets pushed up to be a good and great powerful pony and Starlight got the drag down to but yet are very powerful, just don't have the same amount of help that Twillight always will have - To do it simple - Starlight is like a positive rival for Twillight. Honestly that is how I have seen it o-o'

8 hours ago, MaybeTomorrow said:

Uhhum.

I have always seen her cutiemark as the star stand for big talent and the green wirl as a falling star. Like - She is below Twillight who has the star with stars around it - so Twillight gets pushed up to be a good and great powerful pony and Starlight got the drag down to but yet are very powerful, just don't have the same amount of help that Twillight always will have - To do it simple - Starlight is like a positive rival for Twillight. Honestly that is how I have seen it o-o'

I'd always sort of seen it as being the opposite. A star standing still, with magical smoke waiving off the top.

I'd always sort of seen it as being the opposite. A star standing still, with magical smoke waiving off the top.

and now we can see how different we see a single cutie mark xD

To address the original point, yes, I also think that Starlight is overpowered.  She is stated to be insanely magical by the cast itself as a reason they need to keep her around following season 5.  She can remove Cutie Marks and cast time spells far more powerful than Starswirl the Bearded's work.  She can easily match the Alicorn Element of Magic herself, following a season where the combined magic of 4 Alicorns was suggested to be the equal of Tirek powered by nearly all of the magic of the rest of the ponies of Equestria (and Discord!) combined, where the audience is told that if Tirek were to possess Alicorn magic, he would be unstoppable... which certainly sent the impression that Alicorns were far more magical than other ponies.

And this seems supremely overpowered because there is no given reason for it...  she just is that powerful, out of nowhere.  Twilight is given multiple reasons for her power level.  She spent an entire childhood studying, so intensely that it is shown to be to the detriment of everything else.  She was personally trained by a seemingly immortal founder of the most prestigious magic school in the land.  The day she got her Cutie Mark she was flooded with magical energy linked to her becoming the destined bearer of the Element of Magic, leaving her with raw abilities that Celestia had never seen in a pony before.  And then later she would ascend to Alicornhood, flooded by magical output from the Elements of Harmony.

Starlight's past is missing anything similar.  In fact, the only detail we know about it is seemingly contradictory to her being so powerful:  when she was young, her best friend got his Cutie Mark in magic and went off to magic school, and she did not.  In Season 6 the show backtracked a bit to show that she was pretty magical as a filly, but needed instruction in how to do things with it from Sunburst, so it's even more confusing why she wouldn't go to magic school.  And it's odd that she blames Cutie Marks since that isn't what kept her out, seeing as how we know that Twilight applied to Celestia's school without one herself.  Regardless, she went from that point to rivaling the obsessively-studying shut-in, prodigy, destiny-fueled, personal student of the immortal founder of the premiere magic school in the land... without any help that we know of or has even been hinted at.  And she also found the time to form a cult and build and govern a town in the middle of nowhere as well.

So yes, Starlight comes across as pretty massively overpowered to me.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 8:22 AM, Aaargh Zombies said:

I think that it's deeply unfair to compare a character who has been in the show for one season to the main character of a show who has been in it since the pilot episode.

You're looking back at Twilight with a full knowledge of over 100 episodes. There is no way that you can reasonably expect Starlight to have that much character building in such a short space of time.

If we look at Twilight she went for most of her first season with no back story at all beyond the fact that she studied under princess Celestia and was sent to Ponyville in the pilot episode. Pretty much anything else that you think that you know about her past back when the season aired is just head-canon. CSGU wasn't even mentioned in series canon until episode 23.

In comparison We found out about Starlight's past in the season 5 finale. That was her fourth episode. Did you spend the first 22 episodes of MLP feeling the same about Twilight as you do about Starlight Glimmer?

It's the fact that Twilight's abilities were so carefully seeded into the show that makes Starlight seem overpowered out of nowhere.  You gloss over the backstory and justification that Twilight's abilities are given, but pains were taken to integrate her magic to her character multiple times through the first season.

The first things we learn about Twilight, from the initial pilot episode in the first five minutes of the show itself is that:  She studies so much that she has no friends, she apparently lives in a tower full of books with her dragon assistant, she is mentored in magic by the princess-ruler of the land, and magically sends and receives messages from said ruler.  Now, with just that introduction, it's not at all surprising that Twilight is good at magic... and we're barely into the show.  By the end of the pilot episode, we've seen her be awarded the Element of Magic itself, and learn that her mentor is more than 1000 years old.  All in her first appearance.

When next her magic is an issue (During "Boast Busters") we are given dialog explaining the magical abilities of regular unicorns, and how they usually only have a little magic related to their special talents, while Twilight's special talent *is* magic itself, allowing her to have all kinds of magic and leading Spike to theorize to the audience that there isn't a unicorn in all of Equestria more magical than her.  Trixie then shows up to make the claim that she's the most magical unicorn in Equestria, before Twilight shows off an insane magical ability that leaves the entire town and Trixie dumbfounded.

By "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" we have yet more justification for Twilight's abilities given, as we're told how she idolized Celestia, desperately wanted into her School for Gifted Unicorns, and had a massive power surge when she was linked by destiny to the Elements of Harmony.  We hear Celestia, more than 1000 years old, proclaim that she's never met a unicorn with Twilight's raw abilities before as she not only admits her into her magic school but takes her as her personal student.

Again and again through that first season we are given to believe that Twilight is especially magical and shown many indications and reasons for it.  Later seasons would talk up Alicorns and Alicorn magics to a large degree, likewise portraying them as something special above the power levels of normal ponies, culminating in a massive firefight with Tirek visually displaying the combined might of 4 Alicorns held by Twilight (who again is singled out as able to do so for being the Element of Magic) as being equal to the power stolen from most all of the other ponies of Equestria and Discord himself.  That all combines to set a high expectation in the viewers.

Then we get introduced to Starlight Glimmer, a unicorn who in a surprise twist is suddenly a match for Alicorn Twilight on a magic level and possibly exceeds her... but that isn't enough of a character trait of hers to bother giving it any explanation at all.  We've had at least 10 episodes that majorly featured the character and the only thing we've learned about her past is that she expressly *didn't* go to magic school.  After all of the careful groundwork to introduce audiences to Twilight's abilities, Starlight is like a record scratch across the narrative.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MaybeTomorrow said:

and now we can see how different we see a single cutie mark xD

To be honest, I saw it that way precisely because Trixie's Cutie Mark has a star shaped wand on it with mystical smoke in the background.