ChibiDashie

CHRISTMAS TIME

Let's talk about these wonderful holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanza), because Thanksgiving is kind of an American thing (The Canadians had Thanksgiving in October, but that's before Halloween and Halloween happened as of this post) and Christmas is my favorite holiday anyways. :pinkieshrug:

So what do I mostly want for Christmas because I'm a good noodle? These sick headphones! I've wanted them ever since I saw them on Indiegogo and still to this day, think they're the coolest headphones I've laid my eyes on. I'd probably go with purple because purple is my favorite color!

Also every Christmas Eve, all of my siblings make at least 100+ pierogies for the entire family. Which sounds easy, but HELL NO, IT'S A LONG, LONG PROCESS. Dough making, potato peeling, potato cutting, potato mashing, onion cutting, potato cooking, and then actually folding the pierogies and boiling them. (Fried pierogies taste pretty bad, tbh) Roughly, all of this takes six hours. And that is why my mom usually buys the frozen ones at the store and cooks them at home once in a while. (Also, a butt ton of flour all over the place is a pain.) Now my hands hurt just talking of this, wowwies.  

2 hours ago, Toki Zensekai said:

I just hope people don't do what they did last year just to annoy me. Seriously... :applebelch: 

I think I'm going to regret asking this but what did they do last year?

Talk about holidays?
I wonder: what is really the use for holidays?
I've been thinking about quitting celebrating x-mas because christians stealing of it.

But i know it's not originally christian, it's more a mashup of several traditions, and mostly pagan, atleast here in norway it is.

After all, it only really lasts for a few weeks of the year (the stuff we have in october/november is just stupid stores putting out stuff too early).
Listening to boring songs, doing boring stuff, just to have it all packed away and forgotten.
Atleast Halloween decoration is good for a whole-year decoration spree.

17 minutes ago, KimOlsen87 said:

Talk about holidays?
I wonder: what is really the use for holidays?
I've been thinking about quitting celebrating x-mas because christians stealing of it.

But i know it's not originally christian, it's more a mashup of several traditions, and mostly pagan, atleast here in norway it is.

After all, it only really lasts for a few weeks of the year (the stuff we have in october/november is just stupid stores putting out stuff too early).
Listening to boring songs, doing boring stuff, just to have it all packed away and forgotten.
Atleast Halloween decoration is good for a whole-year decoration spree.

I don't know, I always kinda liked Christmas music! (The upbeat ones, not when the ones where it starts to sound like a death march)

As for the decorations? I love putting up lights on everything, my couch, my door, my soul, makes it look janky; I really like janky!

Bottom line is: Nice cold weather (for me at least), oldies music, the nice old men, and the opportunity to evade death while I play with electricity really seals the deal for me

(and yes, I keep my lights up year round)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lunar Holiday said:

I don't know, I always kinda liked Christmas music! (The upbeat ones, not when the ones where it starts to sound like a death march)

As for the decorations? I love putting up lights on everything, my couch, my door, my soul, makes it look janky; I really like janky!

Bottom line is: Nice cold weather (for me at least), oldies music, the nice old men, and the opportunity to evade death while I play with electricity really seals the deal for me

(and yes, I keep my lights up year round)

We don't really need a holiday for those?
I for one never liked x-mas songs, only exceptions are the HWT songs (not really x-massy songs tho).
I always prefer blasting doom metal over those bells jingling all the time.

Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday of them all and it has always been. Christmas music makes me happy and I get excited when I get to buy gifts to people. Decorating the house with colorful lights and plenty of other Christmas stuff is a bunch of fun too and gives the house a cozy look. 

I love the holiday even more if there's a lot of snow outside. Which doesn't happen that often around here (at least not nowadays anyways) but when it does, it just feels even more special. :pinkyhappy:

• Like 1

The holidays are going to be real fun this year for me and my family.

And by that I mean they're NOT going to be fun.

My family is having in-fighting more than usual this year especially right now around the holidays.

*sighs*

It's like I'm dealing with children... :applebelch:

I've never cared or celebrated for Thanksgiving, but I always do enjoy something about the winter season, and by extension, Christmas season. I've fallen on hard times recently so I don't expect much in terms of gifts, but just the atmosphere of winter makes me feel different than normal. Sometimes that leads to depression, but sometimes it leads me to feeling calm and at ease. It's hard to explain, I suppose.

• Like 1

I love the holiday season, starting with Halloween! After my birthday in August is over, every year since childhood I could just feel the excitement building. It plateaus at Thanksgiving, remains in climax through the Christmas season, and then plummets until New Years, where it's dead again. And then post-holiday depression settles in. As for the music, I've always loved it though there are a handful of songs I wouldn't mind  EVER hearing again because they've been way too overplayed the last decade or so.

It's been changing the last few years of working in a boarding kennel though, as Thanksgiving and Christmas are our busiest times of year, and we have blackout periods for vacation time. I have no family living 100 miles of me, so unless I get another job, I'm doomed to spend them alone or be a charity case for my local friends for the foreseeable future.

And at work... nnnnnnggggggg, don't get me started. We're always way understaffed for the volume we get, the poor animals are grossly neglected; cold, lonely, dirty, depressed, bored, sometimes they get sick. The facility gets super dirty, seriously gross and smelly, and disorganized because cleaning falls to the bottom of the priority list due to lack of personnel and time. Those with the power to make a difference care more about the money, power, and policies than the animals, and those of us who do care heaps for the animals are left completely powerless because we just don't have enough time or help to care for the animals efficiently. It breaks my heart every year, and has taken a toll on how I perceive the holidays since working there. Not saying all boarding kennels are this bad, my company is just corrupt. :( Just please, PLEASE, if you ever consider boarding your pets during a super busy time like the Christmas season, be really careful where you bring them.  

• Like 1

Christmas decor and lights are pretty cool. Other than that, it doesn't appeal to me very much. In my experience at this time of year people turn into aggressive assholes rather than cheerful celebrants.

As for gifts, there's nothing I want besides some pleasant company, which I'll have. Material gifts aren't necessary. Only physical thing I've desired in a long time is a turducken on Thanksgiving, but everyone in my family thinks that's a gross idea so it's never happened.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Resinite said:

As for gifts, there's nothing I want besides some pleasant company, which I'll have. Material gifts aren't necessary. Only physical thing I've desired in a long time is a turducken on Thanksgiving, but everyone in my family thinks that's a gross idea so it's never happened.

Blimey, that's a lot of meat. I have to make this at some point, for uh... science of course.

But hey, the Christmas spirit is heavily commercialized and I'm not religious to begin with, so the best things I get out of the holidays are seeing friends, getting to make and eat good food and occasionally a good sale. Oh, and let's not forget the maddening Christmas music, some of these things end up stuck in my head for weeks on end. The hordes of Santa's, elves, cheesy commercials, re-runs of age-old holiday movies and the madness of family dinner. 

The holidays truly are a special time. :megusta:

• Like 1

Christmas has the potential to be extra strange this year for a variety of reasons. It may very well be the last one my parents spend together, which on one hand is good because they've become pretty unbearable, but on the other it's kind of sad because that's a pretty serious chunk of your childhood to lose. At least I don't live there anymore.

I have had neither the money nor the will to start shopping for anyone, but I'm hoping I can finagle a way to get a new laptop to replace this one that is literally falling apart at the seams. It'd be nice to get a kitchen table for my apartment too, since I'm getting pretty tired of sitting on the floor and eating off the coffee table. But we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Picked up a fifth of vodka today, so I'm good and ready for the holiday. Bring on the Christmas cheer!

White Russians and screwdrivers, Moscow Mules and martinis; Cosmopolitans and Harvey Wallbangers, and Long Island iced tea. These are a few of my favorite things.

I know, that didn't flow very well, but the sentiment is sincere. I like booze.

I think I overdid it on the Christmas cheer, my head is killing me

Merry Christmas everybody! Hope y'all had a wonderful day with your families, and if not, at least you can go back to spending as little time as possible with them