Badshot

Roleplay 101

The purpose of this thread is to help anyone who is looking to find out more about what Roleplaying is. This is just a draft however and will be built upon.

If any of you have played an RPG or an MMORPG such as, Diablo, WoW, RIFT, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc. You have some idea of what a Roleplay is. To put it simply, you assume the role of someone else. You become them, their likes, dislikes, and traits are yours, you choose their actions and how they react. It’s like living a second life. You play a new role (see what I did there?)

Now of course you are limited in some ways, the point is to not make this new role, you know… you. You’re someone else, of course they can be a copy of you, but that’s more of a persona.

When you play an RPG or MMO you choose what they look like and their class. That’s it. In a Roleplay or creating a full fledged character you do more than their appearance. Like Fallout you choose their strengths and weaknesses. You can’t be this person who is a master swordfighter and an archmage and a master bowman (shutup Skyrim). You have to pick and choose what they will be skilled in, if any, and be lacking in the others.

Now then, as for how a Roleplay works, there are two RP styles I use, (one more than the other).

-Traditional

and

-Storyboard

I personally enjoy Storyboard myself, now then lets explain what these are.

Traditional

Traditional is the basic medium of any RP and even RPGs, this includes stats, skill checks, weapon damage, and lots and lots of dice rolling. A few examples include: Dungeons and Dragons (not the MMO), Rifts (still not the MMO, this one is entirely separate), Castles and Crusades, Amazing Adventures, Vampires, and many others. A lot of things that happen are based on how skilled your character is, and how lucky your dice are, the higher the skill they need, the easier it is to pass. The higher the damage of a weapon, the faster enemies go down. The better your armor, the harder it is for enemies to hurt you. Simple as that.

This does however limit what can happen, it’s hard to be very creative with your attacks when you just say, “I will attack this.” and roll a dice to see if you hit it or it somehow dodged (or your aim is downright horrible). However is makes it much more balanced and easier to do such, every character is limited by their skills, a warrior with an intelligence of 4 can’t read a magic scroll unless he somehow makes the roll, but this wizard with an intelligence of 8 can 90% of the time.

Storyboard

This one is my personal favorite, this lets your imagination do whatever the heck it wants, within the confines of the rp rules that is. This style allows players to be creative with what they do, detail out their attacks and actions and better develop a personality, it’s more focused on the story than the action.

It’s like writing a Fanfic with a bunch of other people.

This style is also as simple as it gets, with very little stats or sometimes none at all, what happens is based on what you do and how much the DM wants to be a dick.

As with the story style, much of what you do has unsure outcomes, unless your character is alone, then you have full control of outcomes unless the DM says otherwise and decides to intrude on your little sidestory.

As well, the DM can be as creative with enemies as he pleases, without figuring out its stats and be unlucky and get terrible rolls resulting in this supposedly badass enemy being a pushover. One of dad’s games (not on a forum, in a real life game with real dice,a table, and character sheets) had this happen to a miniboss enemy, 1st round and he rolls to strike, crit fails and kills himself, so much for that.

Now then this is the basics, I will will add more complex topics as I go on, but this is enough for a thread at least. I will also be adding various other help threads such as a Hints and Tips, OC creation (I’m not an expert on that but we did have something on PF2 I can copy I think), and an OC Master list to place character sheets.

As well, feel free to add any tidbits you feel I missed. But do remember I still have more to cover.

Edited by Badshot
  • Like 1

Badass miniboss gets a shit roll? This is why the GM rolls in secret and fudges the numbers to make the game the best it can be.

Badass miniboss gets a shit roll? This is why the GM rolls in secret and fudges the numbers to make the game the best it can be. 

It was hilarious though.

I think we forgot to mention the 3 thread system we had on PF2... PLEASE SPLIT UP YOUR RP THREADS! It gets confusing quickly otherwise. The general system we had was this:

Interest and recruitment - Basically what it says. This is the place to show off your RP ideas, to bring in other players, and to prepare for the RP. This is NOT where you start the RP or post OOC comments.

Main thread - Exactly what it says on the tin, this is the RP itself. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SHOULD POST IN THIS THREAD ARE THE PLAYERS AND THE DM! I CANNOT stress this enough, if you are not a part of the RP, then you shouldn't be posting here.

OOC thread - This is the Out of Character thread. Everybody is welcome to post here, whether you are a part of the RP or not. This is the place for player to player interactions outside of the game, for people outside the RP watching it to comment, and for plans to be made. PM plans are also fine, just be sure to clear them with the DM ahead of time (Though if it's just collaborating backstory, you should usually be fine- just check with the DM anyways just in case.) Just remember to keep your out of character knowledge gained from this thread of otherwise out of the main thread- your characters don't know what you know, be sure to keep it that way.

Unless you have a Fourth Wall Breaking character like me or the Pink mare... In that case, USE IT SPARINGLY. OOC knowledge in the game can really mess with a DMs plans or outright ruin the story. Be careful when and how you use Fourth Wall Breaks with a character like me, or risk being booted from the RP and having a massive retcon.

Of course, if you're just using them to torture your character... Go nuts! Anyways, this is the system that worked on PF2 and we had few problems with it. I personally suggest you use this system and I know others would agree- single thread to hold all 3 types can and will cause problems down the road for you, and people WILL still think you're recruiting even if you're 50+ pages in. Anyways, that's my spiel, have fun RPing.

Yes, you can also make characters for whatever you want, not just ponies. You can make an OC for Mass Effect or Halo or runescape for all I care, an OC is an OC.

can we RP other tings then quest`s and adventure stuff? like te party`s or other social gatherings?