13 posts in this topic

As I burn through my 2010-2015 catalog of collected brony tracks, sometimes a few just jump out at me.

Tracks that warrant a revisiting since their hay-day*. Usually coming from Equestria Daily's Music of the Day, or Spotlight posts, or my finds from Pony.fm/Equestrian Beats, or just things I stumbled across in a random album purchase. These tracks deserve to be highlighted for new eyes.

Basically... I needed a thread where I can dump some random recommendations from whatever compilation disc I'm listening to at the moment.

THIS IS THAT THREAD! Are you a bad enough pony to brave my eclectic collection, my ecllection if you will?

*See what I did there?

Warbalist - The Pony

A country ode built around lyrics found within Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons. The lyrics themselves are derived from William Blake's famous poem, The Tyger. A very catchy tune, deceptively upbeat and at the same time slightly mellow as most good country songs are, the lyrics' dark theme produces a slightly dissonant effect. Not quite the divide between music and message you'd find in a Gypsy Pie song from FiW, but still energizing and evocative.

DrDycer - Breath of Wind

Despite getting into the pony music scene during its late 2012 peak with some legit hits, DrDycer set all his stuff to Hidden until not too long ago, so it was hard to find.

He tends to use acoustic guitars and layers of vocal harmonies in lieu of more instruments to craft his stuff. Normally you'd associate that sort of approach with people sitting around a campfire singing Kumbaya (or around a vendor table singing filk), he was able to use it more flexibly and was able to craft blood-chilling songs about timberwolves and cockatrices.

But this piece is somehow genuinely relaxing AND invigorating, inspiring the imagination to generate birdseye views of the land below and an outer tranquility of scene livened by the inner passions of the listener as they soar through the sky at their own leisure, reveling in the freedom and solitude that offer introspection or adventure in equal measures.

Cloud and Kenneth - This Power

Trixie levels up in EEEEEEEEEVIL and also magic. Solid rapping and an overlay of injured lamentations project a redoubt of blind rage and blinding power, but with regret oozing between the cracks in that facade. It's the build up to Magic Duel in music form.

Giggly Maria and BassBeastJD - The Legend of the Mirror Pool

Some songs have this rightness to them, like the melody is exactly how it should be and anything else would just be wrong. The kind of tune that instantly back-fills your memory and you have to double check to make sure you haven't always just known it. This piece has such a tune, an appropriate setting for this gem of a whistful rendition of the nursery rhyme Pinkie recites in Too Many Pinkie Pies.
Also there is rain.

A couple of recs to make up for the holiday slump.

Zander - Give 'Em Hay

Zander graced the fandom briefly and left us with only a handful of tracks, but of those few this is my favorite. The genre-blending beat and vocal delivery are both solid here. In some ways you can say this song follows in the footsteps of Beyond Her Garden; the early fandom was surging with fanworks for background ponies that often went unnamed in official merchandise at the time. This one is dedicated to "Pink Lady," a tentative fan name for Gala Appleby.

Also worth checking out in that playlist there is a track called Robots Are Friends!

Tsyolin - Octavia's Oveture Instrumental (Orchestral)

This was released as a "rough" unfinished piece, but it definitely has more polish in composition and even mastering than some completed works in the fandom! Tsyolin (aka AJ the Engineer) was working on this as a collaboration with Mic the Microphone and added some guitars from Veggie55 (yes, that one) before the project fell through. Definitely one of my favorite renditions of the piece!

Moonswirl - Want It Need It VIP (remix)

The perfect union of a slow burn, spectral instrumentation (discerning listeners might pick up a bit of Fawful flavor), combined with the utterly haunting vocal cover by MIU. Entranced, entrancing, and creepy throughout. It's a quiet track, you may want to turn it up to get the most out of it.

Vafrous Coyote - Don't Let Me Down (cover)

Another throwback to the early days of the fandom, a season 2 era alternative rock ballad that is probably somewhat maybe a little shippy, perhaps. Rough production and a couple of rough spots in the vocals, but nothing seriously detracts from the fun.

This is actually an extended, genre-shifted cover of the original version which is considerably, uh, differenter. Link the Youtube description.

Sean.m - Clarinet concerto in A Major Op.27 No.1 "Winter Wrap Up"

A seriously awesome little play on themes in the first BIG pony song from the series. AVHC/Sean.m is an underrated talent in the brony classical scene. You'll find less of the "epic film score" stuff that's overloaded with strings and brass, and more of the classical classical style balancing all the sections of an orchestra, which is a refreshing change of pace!

Luna Jax - Wish That I Were More

An alternative acoustic rock piece. In his own words: " Here's a song inspired by Twilight's feelings of inadequacy at becoming a princess and her search to discover and fulfill her new responsibilities as such. We all have had those moments when we've been given a great responsibility or a lot was expected of us and we felt stressed out or inadequate. I wanted this song to both embody that feeling and also show the hopefulness of reaching our potential."

Luna Jax has a unique, smooth vocal style that really shines in this one. Rather than going melodramatic like some other pieces playing on Twilight's insecurity in her new role as Princess, the tone of this song is more upbeat and optimistic.

Haymaker & Tsyolin Ft. EileMonty - Honesty

One of the absolute best country productions in the fandom so far. The emphasis here is on the duet between Haymaker and EileMonty so the music makes room for them, but without being understated.

Time for a segue-based post!

Rarity Advocate - Pinkie Pie's Organ Prelude

Rarity Advocate (who used to post under a different appellation) has a strong baroque background, and it comes through in this excellent little organ piece incorporating Pinkie's tune from Castle Mane-ia. Look up their other works for a delightful trip beyond the Classical!

Building on that idea...

Art of Manifestation (Corrupted Rarity's Orchestrated Theme) - Delta Brony

KingSpartax37 (aka Delta Brony), more widely known for his pony + vidya music mashup remixes,* created this really haunting harpsichordian nightmare, reflecting the little silver dressmaker gone mad with power!

Speaking of pony and video game music...

DasDeer - Foal Mountain Level Theme

Part of an OST for a pony game project, this is super catchy and the driving baseline creates a change of pace from the usual "ice level" kind of sound you might expect!

So we went from Baroque to legit video game music! Not bad, if I do say so m'self.

*Snuck an extra recommend in there. Sneaky-like. :smugtrixie:

The Mad King - Mbulsht

Little did the listeners of Bronyville know that their sound guy was also a music man! This piece is a really Sombra affair with three minutes of rising tension, and then...

Face Your Fears - Flaedr

Flaedr's vocal debut, albeit in a highly distorted manifestation blending seamlessly with the instrumentation. Based on concepts from 'Sleepless in Ponyville,' not to be confused with ...

Face Your Fears - Rossiboys

... which is based on 'Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?' and explores the Bad End alternative to the episode with down-key tones and syrupy detuned guitars. If you're sneaky, you can tell your non-brony friends that it's about Nightmare on 'A Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors' and they'll probably never notice.