StarlightGlimmer

If Luna and Celestia vanished which 2 ponies would take their place?

The best long term solution would be the two who've displayed the best leadership skills and understanding of Friendship: Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer.

1028198__safe_twilight+sparkle_princess+

• Like 1

I have four guesses:

• Twilight and Sunset (as Skyrazer said)
  • Only Twilight, 'cause Sunset isn't an alicorn
  • Nobody. Twilight (and maybe Cadance) figure out how to set sun and moon in motion and the whole socio-politico-economico-etc- system is being figured out from scratch.
  • Main seven take on the task together

What? You guys kidding? Now that the tyrants are gone, we can stablish democracy and liberalism! And maybe one or two capitalism crisis! 

But now seriously, I really doubt two perso, err, ponies would take their place. Twilight would become the only ruler. Plus, there are so many other leaders in good terms with Twilight that she wouldn't need a second princess. I really just can't see Starlight as a ruler, sorry SG fans.

11 minutes ago, GodlySloth said:

I'd like to think Discord would have something to say about a new king...

"General McBiggun! Gather your army! We are facing Squizard's forces at dawn!"

"Geez, Discord, for the last time. Ruling a real empire is nothing like playing Ogres & Oubliettes!"

"Oh no! Garbunkle's mind has been poisoned! He's now with the evil Squid!"

"Okay, that does it. We will reduce our game meetings to one per month."

• Like 3

Nopony would take their place; Twilight and Cadence would continue being Princesses, and Equestria would go back to having two, as it did before Luna's return. New Princesses could come along eventually to take on the ruling burden, of course. Flurry Heart and Sunset Shimmer being the most likely candidates to join Twilight and Cadence. (And Shining Armor, I suppose).

I wonder if Equestria has a royal blood policy on throne inheritance. That would mean that neither Cadence nor Twilight would be able to take the throne, but Blueblood might be able to? Unless their society is a matriarchy. However, in that incident, I believe the Elements of Harmony would be necessary to maintain stability in the kingdom, and any such policy would be temporarily (if not permanently) thrown out the window.

7 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I wonder if Equestria has a royal blood policy on throne inheritance. That would mean that neither Cadence nor Twilight would be able to take the throne, but Blueblood might be able to? Unless their society is a matriarchy. However, in that incident, I believe the Elements of Harmony would be necessary to maintain stability in the kingdom, and any such policy would be temporarily (if not permanently) thrown out the window.

Cadance might not have the royal blood, per say, but she is part of the royal family as Celestia's niece. That should at the very least guarantee her a spot as a candidate for the throne. Blueblood on the other hand is a bag of mysteries, he may be part of Celestia's bloodline or he may be from an offshoot line that started from another pony Celestia adopted and has no real blood ties with her. The former would indeed make him the prime candidate if Equestria were a classical Monarchy / Diarchy, but the latter means he's in the same boat as Cadence.

Twilight should, at the very least, have the title of Lady and be considered a (Minor?) Royal since season 2, as she is sister-in-law to a princess. But from a Monarchical standpoint she really has no claim to the throne unless all other candidates are MIA. 

Now if you put the whole Princess, Alicorn and crazy magical powers into perspective...

Cadence, Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Flurry Heart(?) (possibly Sunset Shimmer? Her state seems to be in a limbo of unconfirmed theories post Friendship Games.) are essentially at the top of the hierarchy, so if two were to suddenly vanish, the other two (minus the toddler of doom and self-exile) would have to step in and take over. The most reliable approach would be a regency comprised of Cadence and Twilight / Shining Armor until a more permanent solution is found. The Royal Guard seems to only answer to Princesses and are like a band of lost puppies without one there, as we see in the Season 4 opener. But the long-term solutions would definitely be the Friendship Council, just Twilight or Twilight and Sunset as Cadence already has an Empire to rule.

I'm leaving Starlight out of this since you can't even qualify her as a responsible pony, let alone one worthy of ruling a country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skyrazer said:

Cadance might not have the royal blood, per say, but she is part of the royal family as Celestia's niece. That should at the very least guarantee her a spot as a candidate for the throne. Blueblood on the other hand is a bag of mysteries, he may be part of Celestia's bloodline or he may be from an offshoot line that started from another pony Celestia adopted and has no real blood ties with her. The former would indeed make him the prime candidate if Equestria were a classical Monarchy / Diarchy, but the latter means he's in the same boat as Cadence.

Twilight should, at the very least, have the title of Lady and be considered (Minor?) Royal since season 2, as she is sister-in-law to a princess. But from a Monarchical standpoint she really has no claim to the throne unless all other candidates are MIA. 

Now if you put the whole Princess, Alicorn and crazy magical powers into perspective...

Cadence, Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Flurry Heart(?) (possibly Sunset Shimmer? Her state seems to be in a limbo of unconfirmed theories post Friendship Games.) are essentially at the top of the hierarchy, so if two were to suddenly vanish, the other two (minus the toddler of doom and self-exile) would have to step in and take over. The most reliable approach would be a regency comprised of Cadence and Twilight / Shining Armor until a more permanent solution is found. The Royal Guard seems to only answer to Princesses and are like a band of lost puppies without one there, as we see in the Season 4 opener. But the long-term solutions would definitely be the Friendship Council, just Twilight or Twilight and Sunset as Cadence already has an Empire to rule.

I'm leaving Starlight out of this since you can't even qualify her as a responsible pony, let alone one worthy of ruling a country.

Makes alot of sense.

Maybe Starlight could learn?

I feel like it could somehow end up resting solely on Twilight's shoulders. And I see her trying to take it all on by herself, because she thinks she's supposed to, before eventually realizing the can turn to her friends to help her get through it. And that's when Celestia returns, and a lesson is learned!

:shock:

My god, what have I done?

• Like 2