Jederick

What's the first episode you watched?

Hey hey hey! Its-a-me! With another "Share your experiences/personal thoughts" post!

Recently a friend asked me about what makes MLP so great, and almost instantly told me to give him a link to an episode to watch. This leaded to me asking myself "Should I send him the link to the first episode, or should I make him watch some random episode first?".

"But are you out of your mind, Jederick? Sending him a random episode link? Thats crazy talk!".

Well, the thing is: I didn't start watching the show with "Friendship is Magic part 1 and 2", and I've read lots of people in the same situation. The first episodes I watched were "A Canterlot Wedding - part 1 and 2" with my younger sister (It was kinda like a challenge, to be honest), without knowing any of the Mane Six names except from Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. We didn't understand what the Elements of Harmony were, nor who Princess Celestia was, but we had such a good time! The plot, the writing, the animations. There were even masive fights! And ponies KISSING! It was so crazy, hilarious and awesome! I watched Friendship is Magic pt 1 & 2 a couple of days later, but honestly? Season's two finale is...special. I don't know, but it was a different point in the show, and I'm glad that's what introduced me to the show. Watching ponies kick Changelings butts was waaay more interesting and fascinating than watching Pinkie Pie laugh at trees or Fluttershy calming a giant beast. It made me care more and to want to know more about the show.

So that was my experience. What was yours? What's the first episode you ever watched? Would you change it? Or are you happy with how the events took place?

• Like 2

I started with the first episode and went on from there, falling more in love with the show with every one I saw. However, I do not believe that the S1 premiere is the best option if you're trying to show someone what the show normally has to offer.

1 hour ago, Frécinette said:

The return of Harmony. If it wasn't for Discord i would have walked away from the show.

...but then we wouldn't have you... ;~;

28 minutes ago, Havocbyte said:

Stare Master. If it wasn't for the YouTube channel "Bin's Toy Bin", I would've never been interested in the show.

Or you, either!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ultimateAI said:

I started with the first episode and went on from there, falling more in love with the show with every one I saw. However, I do not believe that the S1 premiere is the best option if you're trying to show someone what the show normally has to offer.

I second that. For someone new I'd probably start with "The Lost Treasure of Griffinstone", because epic alternative style animations and griffins.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KiiKrindar said:

I second that. For someone new I'd probably start with "The Lost Treasure of Griffinstone", because epic alternative style animations and griffins.

That means you also started with the first episode? Or you just avoided my question? ¬w¬

Anyways, glad to hear many here think the same way as I do! Unfortunately my friend wanted to start with Friendship is Magic pt. 1. So much for that xD

• Like 1

Just now, Jederick said:

That means you also started with the first episode? Or you just avoided my question? ¬w¬

Anyways, glad to hear many here think the same way as I do! Unfortunately my friend wanted to start with Friendship is Magic pt. 1. So much for that xD

I seconded both, so I also started on the first one. I should have make it more clear, sorry.

1 minute ago, KiiKrindar said:

I seconded both, so I also started on the first one. I should have make it more clear, sorry.

Nah, don't sweat it. It happens all the time.

• Like 1

I stumbled upon a bit of "Applebuck Season" while channel surfing and enjoyed myself enough to watch "Friendship is Magic" as my first, full episode.

P.S. I like to think when you were watching "A Catnerlot Wedding" you were all like "I have no idea who Shining Armor and Cadence are, but I'm sure they're characters have been fleshed out in earlier episodes!"

• Like 1

I avoided watching the show for a long time because I was afraid I might like it, and then I would transform into one of those Bronies     :scaryluna:       :applejackhate: 

My sense of masculinity wouldn't allow it. You can see how that turned out, though. One night I was browsing Netflix while heavily intoxicated, saw the show, and was like 'fuck it, let's see what all the fuss is about', so I watched the first, like, six episodes. Of course I had to rewatch them again when my brain regained the ability to make new memories, so my first impression of MLP is lost to time, but the second impression was enough to make it my new guilty pleasure.

And now there's a Twilight figure on my desk, so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jederick said:

What was yours? What's the first episode you ever watched?

Like many, I started with the first episode.

Would you change it? Or are you happy with how the events took place?

The latter. The Pilot gave me a good introduction to all the characters, and the Elements of Harmony showed me how their personalities are not only unique, but also significant to the show as a whole. That said, I can see how Canterlot Wedding could be a good starter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frécinette said:

The return of Harmony. If it wasn't for Discord i would have walked away from the show.

For me, it was the opposite, in a way. If it wasn't for Discord, I wouldn't have got into Star Trek. :D

Season 1, Episode 9, Bridle Gossip is the first episode I saw. One night I was bored and randomly decided to type "mlp" on Youtube and watch the first episode that popped up to see what all the hype was about. I had heard about the fandom way back in early 2011, but I never thought much of giving it a chance until 2013.

• Like 1

I started watching shortly after S4 was available on Netflix, so I started from the 1st episode and watched all 4 seasons then. I knew it got better over the seasons before I started watching it, but I wouldn't recommend for everyone to start from season 1.Different episodes work for different people to keep an interest in the show.I know the opening 2-parter doesn't always make the best impression..

• Like 2

Since I started watching the show way before Season 2 was announced, I started with S1E1 like many people. Then I pretty much watched every episode. 

I started off with the 1st two episodes of season 1 myself.  I had been sent a funny video to watch from a friend about some troll named Esteban or something messing around with bronies on the game second life.  I didn't even know what a brony was, but I was impressed with the youtube comments on the video saying positive things about them in general and the bronies in the video were so chill about the whole thing, I was just genuinely impressed with their attitude.  That led me to watch a documentary on them which further interested me in the fandom.

At that point, I thought it logical to start on episode 1 to see how it all started with FiM.  I watched the first 2, then I skipped to the Party of One episode because it looked funny. Was hooked after that episode.  I just recently finished all of Season 1 and just now starting season 2.  Season 1 just seems strong as a whole though, I don't think there is an episode I really disliked.  Can't wait to continue going through the episodes.

I definitely wouldn't change how I watched them.  I gathered a strong appreciation for the fandom before even jumping in myself, just with the positive attitude and display of passion that the community had, despite the overall awkwardness portrayed by the media and a lot of society.  I admit, I was initially weirded out by it too thinking it was the same cartoon I remembered from the 90s and how people could possibly be interested in it was just weird to me.  With FiM though, it makes total sense.  Everything about the cartoon is just great, with the animations, voice acting, music, story, etc.  It is a very well done series and has a lot of elements of cartoons I loved as a kid as well.  Very glad I watched the episodes the way I did and learned about it before watching it.

It was the episode when Twilight become an alicorn and she asks some advices to Celestia and Luna. The episode was not impressive, are you sure MLP is as great as you claim ?

I really started to watch the next year, I understood, yes it is.

But the first episode I really enjoyed was the 6th, with Trixie, and Twilight who fus-ro-dah the ursa minor.