LostSanity

Why are they expecting me to like Discord, Starlight, and Trixie?

Recommended Posts

Okay... so...

I really didn't like the S6 finale. Like... AT ALL. That's obvious. If you don't believe me...

Go track down my thoughts that I posted in the Equestria Daily comments for the S6 finale in the recap thread/thing/whatever it's called. My Disqus username is the same as this one.

Honestly... the group should have been the 'Slice of Life' characters. I didn't mind Thorax... but...

The rest?

NO. JUST NO.

NONE OF THESE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN 'REDEEMED' AT ALL AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. (I use the term 'redeemed' VERY loosely here as most of this so-called 'redemption' was absolute crap IMO)

I mean...

I felt like they were shoving Trixie, Discord, and Starlight in my face and expecting me to like them. This will likely NEVER happen. Due to the reasons I've already stated. But here are more reasons:

Starlight: Dumbass that has absolutely no common sense whatsoever. COMMITTED A CRIME BUT NO PUNISHMENT. HORRID MOTIVATION. ATROCIOUS 'Redemption'

Trixie: I'm sorry but she's a bitch. End of story. The fact of the matter is that she doesn't learn ANYTHING. Plus the fact that she goes out of her way to annoy Twilight IS NOT FUNNY. IT MEANS SHE'S A JERK. IT'S NOT A CHARACTER TRAIT. IT'S A CHARACTER FLAW.

Discord: CLEARLY a jerk that only cares about Fluttershy and no one else. YEAH I DON'T THINK SO. JERK. NOT REDEEMED.

So my question is simple...

Why is this show expecting me to like these characters that I'll clearly NEVER like?

Because if they keep shoving them in my face expecting me to like them...

I won't be in this fandom much longer.

Do your best to help me out here but don't expect much.

Come at me opinion haters.

 

:megusta:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't expect you to like them. They don't care if you like them or not. They use these characters because they are already liked by a lot of people. They are popular.

This only works because we're talking about fiction. As a person watching the cartoon, I can enjoy Discord and Trixie being fun, even if I don't like the way they think. Like Deadpool, in a way. But if I was a pony living in Equestria, I'd probably keep as far away from Discord as I could. Starlight Glimmer... Eh... I wouldn't want to stay alone with her. I don't trust her. And I certainly don't think that Thorax is fit to rule an entire race just because... MAGIC! But then again, it's not like the cartoon even tries to make sense of all this stuff. It's just "cool stuff" to put on the screen.

Just ignore them and focus on the stuff you like in the cartoon. It has much more than them in it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

They don't expect you to like them. They don't care if you like them or not. They use these characters because they are already liked by a lot of people. They are popular.

This only works because we're talking about fiction. As a person watching the cartoon, I can enjoy Discord and Trixie being fun, even if I don't like the way they think. Like Deadpool, in a way. But if I was a pony living in Equestria, I'd probably keep as far away from Discord as I could. Starlight Glimmer... Eh... I wouldn't want to stay alone with her. I don't trust her. And I certainly don't think that Thorax is fit to rule an entire race just because... MAGIC! But then again, it's not like the cartoon even tries to make sense of all this stuff. It's just "cool stuff" to put on the screen.

Just ignore them and focus on the stuff you like in the cartoon. It has much more than them in it.

It's hard to do that when I feel like the show is shoving these HORRID characters in my face and expecting me to like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not forcing you to like them. They are just being given more screen time, that's all. Let's take Negan from the walking dead. He's a egotistical douchebag who

 

killed Glenn AND Abraham, two of my three favorite characters

and has no decency for human life, but AMC is not forcing me to like him, he is just simply being given extra screen time

 

Bottom line: You are allowed to dislike certain characters, but feel free to know that the amount of screentime they will get will not change because of how one person feels

Edited by Raichu
Grammical fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostSanity said:

Trixie: I'm sorry but she's a bitch. End of story. The fact of the matter is that she doesn't learn ANYTHING. Plus the fact that she goes out of her way to annoy Twilight IS NOT FUNNY. IT MEANS SHE'S A JERK. IT'S NOT A CHARACTER TRAIT. IT'S A CHARACTER FLAW.

Yeah, she's a jerk. That's about her worst character flaw. Just about every single other character with a speaking role has, at one time or another, been a jerk. It's kind of a small flaw in the grand scheme of things. As for 'not learning' anything? Pray tell, what was she supposed to learn? Don't confront unarguably rude hecklers who interrupt your show literally one minute since your first lines? Don't stay and defend the town after your cart and everything inside it are destroyed by two fucking idiots bringing a star bear into town?

 

Now, don't get me wrong. Trixie is flawed. And if you don't like her, fine. It's just, her flaws are pretty minor overall. Compared to Discord or Starlight, or hell, even some of the shit the Mane Six have done, she's almost a paragon of virtue.

 

And hell, I'll give Discord this; he had something of a good redemption arc in Twilight's Kingdom Part two and Make New Friends but Keep Discord. Starlight can't even claim that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, whenever you liked them or not, the thing is: the point was adding a different group of heroes. I have to admit, I HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FINALE YET, but as far as I know, the point was to see these characters that aren't your regular heroic ponies. Characters like Discord or Trixie than rather to act like a Paladin, prefers to respond with sarcasm or with some jerkish comment/atitude. The main idea was, apart from Starlights...err, development...to bring a change of pace. Its obvious they do not know what else to do with the Mane Six, and they are probably (hopefully) saving their best ideas for the movie.

 

I have to admit that your point of the "Slice of Life" characters is a good one. After all, I'm pretty sure this finale was inspired by the denominated 'Background Six'. The problem is, unless you are a hardcore fan (and thus, someone who KNOWS who the Background Six are), they have almost to non development in show. Vinyl appears every now and then, Octavia only had one speaking role (and complained during the whole dialogue) and so on and so forth. They surely took this as inspiration to create this alternative group of heroes.

 

And well, you might hate Discord...but he was redeemed. And Trixie truly didn't have anything to redeem herself in the first place. The guys in Ponyvile were jerks with her in Season 1, she was kinda brainwashed during Season 3 and it was specified that she spent the rest of her time doing her redemption tour. And being a jerk isn't always a bad trait or a flaw. In MLP, we are kinda starting to have waaaay too much do-gooders. Sometimes you can't even tell apart the Mane Cast anymore. Its good to have some characters like Discord or Trixie that are more Chaotic Good or even closer to the Neutral area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering Discord had control of Equestria at least twice and Starlight destroyed Equestria more times than any other villain we've seen, how can you really say neither one was redeemed? They may not be flawlessly good, but they're nowhere near outright evil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one expects you to like or dislike anything. These are personal opinions which should matter to no one but yourself. However I sympathies some with these opinions.

Starlight honestly doesn't deserve a shred of what she's been given so far. Her motives for starting an "Equality" cult were petty at best and her vengeance plot was over the top and by far the most destructive thing to happen on the show. She's repeatedly abused magic and shown that she only sees the attempts to teach her the value of Friendship as challenges or minor nuisances she can fix by applying magic. 

Trixie, being an absolute egomaniac, is unbearable at times, but has actually had some actual character development this season. I don't like her per-say, but she's definitely better off than in previous seasons.

In spite of what I've already said, the dynamic Trixie and Starlight have is one of the most interesting ones so far and I quite enjoyed the Season 6 finale thanks to their interactions and antics when presented with the situation and Discord being an ass.
I believe a better place for Starlight would be as a reoccurring character rather than someone who's part of or close to the main cast, just like Trixie. The two make an excellent duo, but fit very poorly among the main characters.

 

Oh, I almost forgot. Discord, Lord of Chaos? More like Discord, Lord of Asshattery. Seriously, if this is what they try to sell off as the "Lord of Chaos", it's sad. He's no where what one might call a Chaotic entity and has become a cheap gag machine that just feeds his own twisted sense of humor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

No one expects you to like or dislike anything. These are personal opinions which should matter to no one but yourself. However I sympathies some with these opinions.

Starlight honestly doesn't deserve a shred of what she's been given so far. Her motives for starting an "Equality" cult were petty at best and her vengeance plot was over the top and by far the most destructive thing to happen on the show. She's repeatedly abused magic and shown that she only sees the attempts to teach her the value of Friendship as challenges or minor nuisances she can fix by applying magic. 

Trixie, being an absolute egomaniac, is unbearable at times, but has actually had some actual character development this season. I don't like her per-say, but she's definitely better off than in previous seasons.

In spite of what I've already said, the dynamic Trixie and Starlight have is one of the most interesting ones so far and I quite enjoyed the Season 6 finale thanks to their interactions and antics when presented with the situation and Discord being an ass.
I believe a better place for Starlight would be as a reoccurring character rather than someone who's part of or close to the main cast, just like Trixie. The two make an excellent duo, but fit very poorly among the main characters.

 

Oh, I almost forgot. Discord, Lord of Chaos? More like Discord, Lord of Asshattery. Seriously, if this is what they try to sell off as the "Lord of Chaos", it's sad. He's no where what one might call a Chaotic entity and has become a cheap gag machine that just feeds his own twisted sense of humor.

Well to be fair, they were just trying to make their own version of Q.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not responding to all this. It would take too long.

I'll just say this:

These 3 haven't learned SHIT.

S6 finale PROVED NOTHING for them.

THE END.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

I'm not responding to all this. It would take too long.

I'll just say this:

These 3 haven't learned SHIT.

S6 finale PROVED NOTHING for them.

THE END.

Not to be rude, but why would you even bother posting it in the first place? Coming across as a bit hypocritical tbh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BasementPony16 said:

Actually they all failed, until Thorax luckily shot all his love at Chrysalis. Love that defeated her again instead of making her stronger, because..... :| it had to be this way.

 

Well, you are actually right about that xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jederick said:

It proved that they can defend Equestria without relying on Twilight and the Mane Cast.

...................

*locks and loads*

*Superman Punches Jedrick*

I meant they're so called 'character traits'

(BTW they have none)

4 minutes ago, ultimateAI said:

Not to be rude, but why would you even bother posting it in the first place? Coming across as a bit hypocritical tbh.

What exactly are you asking me to respond to then?

Because I refuse to put out 2 hours to respond to every post in this thread after my second one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

What exactly are you asking me to respond to then?

Because I refuse to put out 2 hours to respond to every post in this thread after my second one.

Well your previous comment just reiterated things you already said, and implied that you weren't willing to discuss it any further.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright. Since the way I do things is being bashed AGAIN. Here's your freaking precious post of me responding to posts. Or at least the ones/parts I consider 'important.'

23 hours ago, Raichu said:

They're not forcing you to like them. They are just being given more screen time, that's all. Let's take Negan from the walking dead. He's a egotistical douchebag who

  Reveal hidden contents

killed Glenn AND Abraham, two of my three favorite characters

and has no decency for human life, but AMC is not forcing me to like him, he is just simply being given extra screen time

 

Bottom line: You are allowed to dislike certain characters, but feel free to know that the amount of screentime they will get will not change because of how one person feels

I'm aware of that. I just feel like they're expecting me to like characters that I don't think I'll EVER like.

23 hours ago, BasementPony16 said:

I mostly blame the fandom. Discord should be in the position of Chrysalis. Chrysalis and Trixie should be a one shot villain.

Starlight Glimmer should be written much better, but the writers started to plainly suck in an annoying way. I don't care if they put much effort in it and start to get angry when others have their doubts on that. It doesn't change the problem, that their writing started to suck. Hardcore fans will continue to lick their feet though and they think they are the shit. The real good ones have left a long time ago.

Yeah I'm starting to feel this way as well. The writing and storytelling have dropped like a rock.

Git gud writers.

22 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Yeah, she's a jerk. That's about her worst character flaw. Just about every single other character with a speaking role has, at one time or another, been a jerk. It's kind of a small flaw in the grand scheme of things. As for 'not learning' anything? Pray tell, what was she supposed to learn? Don't confront unarguably rude hecklers who interrupt your show literally one minute since your first lines? Don't stay and defend the town after your cart and everything inside it are destroyed by two fucking idiots bringing a star bear into town?

 

Now, don't get me wrong. Trixie is flawed. And if you don't like her, fine. It's just, her flaws are pretty minor overall. Compared to Discord or Starlight, or hell, even some of the shit the Mane Six have done, she's almost a paragon of virtue.

 

And hell, I'll give Discord this; he had something of a good redemption arc in Twilight's Kingdom Part two and Make New Friends but Keep Discord. Starlight can't even claim that.

Your joking... right? Please tell me your joking.

She was supposed to learn to not be egotistical and high and mighty. But clearly she can't even do that. Reminds me of Kevin Owens from WWE. Another person I CAN'T STAND.

Yeah I don't think so. She has NUMEROUS flaws. I fail to see this so-called 'paragon of virtue' you speak of. All I see is an egotistical maniac who thinks she's the greatest thing on Equestria and goes out of her way to try to prove it only for it to explode in her face (but I like when that happens) then she gives some BS ridiculous excuse for what she did and goes out of her way to try to annoy Twilight because she can't accept that Twilight is better than her.

Discord hasn't been redeemed. Period.

20 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Don't like a character? Don't watch the episode.

Starlight Glimmer for Supreme Dictator 2016
Trixie for Great and Powerful Vice Dictator 2016.

I'm a perfectionist. I don't like to skip episodes.

 

19 hours ago, Jederick said:

Well, whenever you liked them or not, the thing is: the point was adding a different group of heroes. I have to admit, I HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FINALE YET, but as far as I know, the point was to see these characters that aren't your regular heroic ponies. Characters like Discord or Trixie than rather to act like a Paladin, prefers to respond with sarcasm or with some jerkish comment/atitude. The main idea was, apart from Starlights...err, development...to bring a change of pace. Its obvious they do not know what else to do with the Mane Six, and they are probably (hopefully) saving their best ideas for the movie.

 

I have to admit that your point of the "Slice of Life" characters is a good one. After all, I'm pretty sure this finale was inspired by the denominated 'Background Six'. The problem is, unless you are a hardcore fan (and thus, someone who KNOWS who the Background Six are), they have almost to non development in show. Vinyl appears every now and then, Octavia only had one speaking role (and complained during the whole dialogue) and so on and so forth. They surely took this as inspiration to create this alternative group of heroes.

 

And well, you might hate Discord...but he was redeemed. And Trixie truly didn't have anything to redeem herself in the first place. The guys in Ponyvile were jerks with her in Season 1, she was kinda brainwashed during Season 3 and it was specified that she spent the rest of her time doing her redemption tour. And being a jerk isn't always a bad trait or a flaw. In MLP, we are kinda starting to have waaaay too much do-gooders. Sometimes you can't even tell apart the Mane Cast anymore. Its good to have some characters like Discord or Trixie that are more Chaotic Good or even closer to the Neutral area.

No he wasn't. Discord wasn't 'redeemed' AT ALL. I fail to see this so-called 'brainwashing' of yours. It's not good to have them with their antics and the way they present themselves.

 

14 hours ago, Steamworks said:

Considering Discord had control of Equestria at least twice and Starlight destroyed Equestria more times than any other villain we've seen, how can you really say neither one was redeemed? They may not be flawlessly good, but they're nowhere near outright evil.

Because they just haven't been.

And?

They've only proven they can't learn anything.

12 hours ago, StarlightGlimmer said:

Those 3 characters are well liked by the fans, and what the majority of the fans want to see, they might just do. Personally I like those 3, they aren't perfect in anyway, but I still like them. 

And I LOATH them.

9 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

No one expects you to like or dislike anything. These are personal opinions which should matter to no one but yourself. However I sympathies some with these opinions.

Starlight honestly doesn't deserve a shred of what she's been given so far. Her motives for starting an "Equality" cult were petty at best and her vengeance plot was over the top and by far the most destructive thing to happen on the show. She's repeatedly abused magic and shown that she only sees the attempts to teach her the value of Friendship as challenges or minor nuisances she can fix by applying magic. 

Trixie, being an absolute egomaniac, is unbearable at times, but has actually had some actual character development this season. I don't like her per-say, but she's definitely better off than in previous seasons.

In spite of what I've already said, the dynamic Trixie and Starlight have is one of the most interesting ones so far and I quite enjoyed the Season 6 finale thanks to their interactions and antics when presented with the situation and Discord being an ass.
I believe a better place for Starlight would be as a reoccurring character rather than someone who's part of or close to the main cast, just like Trixie. The two make an excellent duo, but fit very poorly among the main characters.

 

Oh, I almost forgot. Discord, Lord of Chaos? More like Discord, Lord of Asshattery. Seriously, if this is what they try to sell off as the "Lord of Chaos", it's sad. He's no where what one might call a Chaotic entity and has become a cheap gag machine that just feeds his own twisted sense of humor.

I agree with most of this post. Except for one part. Trixie isn't better. I don't see this so-called 'better' Trixie of yours. To me... she's worse. FAR WORSE.

Believe it or not I changed my mind on Trixie and Starlight when I watched 'No Second Prances' but my mind got changed back thanks to 'Every Little Thing She Does' and the S6 finale.

7 hours ago, ultimateAI said:

Well to be fair, they were just trying to make their own version of Q.

You lost me. I have no idea who that even is.

2 hours ago, baltoist said:

Everyone is allowed their own opinion

QFT

 

There. Happy now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't bashing you, though. I was just pointing something out that didn't make sense to me. I never bash people for their opinions.

The brainwashing he was talking about was when Trixie wore the Alicorn Amulet, which is literally said in the show to corrupt the user.

Q is a Star Trek character who has powers somewhat like Discord and is played by the same actor, John de Lancie.

There's no reason to be upset.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But they aren't. (Sorry LostSanity, but I am not quoting 50 different conversations to get my point) I am sure Hasbro is aware of some characters resentment towards others, and like I said ier, since they have been redeemed, except to see them a lot more often. They just simply want to appease to fan of the characters, but they are aware of the fact some people don't like it.

 

Give it a few weeks for the hype to settle, and eventually Hasbro will get bored and move onto something else

 

You don't need to go on a full on boycott since the episode is giving more screentime to them. Just watch the episodes, and who knows, maybe you might get used to them, you may not, but that's okay. You just need to know Hasbro is not expecting you to like them. It's just pandering. (Pls don't hurt me)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, you have a very angry personality. Perhaps if you just stepped back, took a deep breath, and relaxed, you could realize that Hasbro is a company. They don't do this so you will enjoy it. They do this so they can sell toys: a service in which they have a large chunk of. The parts that are entertaining are so people keep watching, and are bits and pieces of humor the writers are able to insert, on top of their demanding parent company. Such is the way of corporate, such is the way of business.

And you keep talking about flaws, saying that characters have flaws. So what? Are they supposed to be Mary Sue perfect run-of-the-mill characters? Are you without flaws? Am I without flaws? And expecting, the literal EMBODIMENT of CHAOS to be redeemed entirely is absolutely insane. Order and Chaos are necessary counterparts as Good and Evil are. Without order, there is no chaos, without chaos there is no order.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, you are in all your right not to discuss, but this is a debate forum, so people will normally seek to have a debate xD
By the way; Many, for not saying all, of your opinions aren't backed up with facts, just "Nah, I don't accept this". Discord was redeemed. He isn't a saint, but he spent lot of time being scolded by the Mane Cast, paid his debts with society and acts more like a neutral or even Chaotic Good guy. And like ultimateAI pointed out, the show literally express that the Alicorn Amulet corrupts the user. It sounds kinda like the tipical "If I don't see it, then its not real". If you are gonna present your point of view as the truth, then you need to backup your words.

I can see you don't like responding to others post, so you don't have to respond to this one if you don't want to xD

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.