Millennium Shadow

My MLP Conspiracy Theories #2: Was the "Mare in the Moon" story told in reverse?

You remember the Mare in the Moon story we're told at the very start of the show? Well, I have a theory that will expose it as a lie...

What were we told from the story? Celestia and Luna were 2 sisters that raised and lowered the Sun and Moon, but Luna became jealous because she wasn't getting any attention and decided to not lower the Moon one night. After that, she became Nightmare Moon, and Celestia reluctantly used the Elements of Harmony to banish Nightmare Moon on the Moon for 1000 years, and the show starts one the 1000th year.

I don't think this is actually true. No, I believe Celestia told everypony this story...in reverse. :dash:

If you pay attention to Celestia's behavior and mentality while interacting with Luna throughout the series, she seems to have a know-it-all and "I come first" attitude. It implies that Celestia pushes Luna aside while she gets the spotlight. If you take this and apply it with my theory that Celestia is using the concept of friendship to brainwash and indoctrinate everypony to expand her kingdom, then you can see that Celestia is pretty arrogant, manipulative, and controlling.
So, when you look at the Mare in the Moon story from Luna's point of view, all she wanted was some of the attention and some credit, but the ponies did their thing during the day while sleeping during the night. It's clear that Luna felt left out and unappreciated. Remember when the story said that Luna wanted the night to last forever and turned evil when she refused to listen to Celestia? The story is making Luna look like a spoiled brat for not getting her way. Doesn't it seem like the story is trying to make Luna look like the bad guy while glorifying Celetsia at the same time? I think Celestia herself wrote the Mare in the Moon story, and she did it in a way that will make her look good and Luna bad. This gives off the impression to the story's readers that Celestia is the superior princess and the one you need to trust, and this, in turn, will make everypony discredit and disregard Luna.

I could leave this here, but I think there's more to this. What if the Luna we've seen isn't the real Luna? What if...the original Luna was murdered by Celestia?
"Oh, buck off, there's no way that Celestia would do something like this!
:glimmer:" you Celestia fans out there, but just hear me out, here.

When Luna refused to lower the Moon, the story claimed she was being a brat, but she was trying to stand up for herself from Celestia's mental abuse towards her. After Luna transformed herself into Nightmare Moon, Celestia realized that she wasn't gonna stay submissive and obedient to her authority anymore, so she decided to murder Luna to make sure her authority and rule wouldn't be challenged or overthrown. After the murder, Celestia told everypony that Luna went rogue, but this was a story she used to gain the trust and support from her subjects. So, Celestia basically covered up Luna's murder in order to protect her reputation and to keep her power. Celestia knew that somepony could eventually figure out the conspiracy, so she decided to make a clone of Luna as a fail-safe so she wouldn't be found out. When the events of the first 2 episodes took place, it was time for Celestia to fake Nightmare Moon's return. Remember when Celestia seem to disappear and Nightmare Moon appeared? I believe that the Nightmare Moon we see in those first 2 episodes was really Celestia in disguise. This explains why Celestia was missing without any trace or explanation. When Nightmare Moon was defeated, Celestia put the Luna clone in her place, and she reappeared, making it look like she was released from where Nightmare Moon supposedly banished her to. The idea that Nightmare Moon was Celestia in disguise makes sense because, after Nightmare Moon was defeated, she appeared out of nowhere. Again, we're giving NO explanation for how Celestia supposedly disappeared by Nightmare Moon and where she was. It makes all of this seem to be a set up. And did you ever notice how easily Nightmare Moon was defeated? I mean, she didn't even put up a fight. And all the damage she made was easily reversible.

Now, where does the "told on reverse" bit come in?
Celestia didn't want competition from her sister when it came to ruling Equestria. Luna was the one who was trying to reason with Celestia about sharing the rule 50-50, but Celestia wasn't about to give any of it up. This is what the "Luna refused to lower the Moon to make room for the day" bit was really; it was a metaphor of one not sharing the power with the co-ruler and keeping it to themselves. The Mare in the Moon story shifted this aspect onto Luna, to make her look like the corrupted one.

The Luna clone (the Luna we see in the show) was given the false memory that was the Mare in the Moon story by Celestia to make sure that the lie wouldn't be exposed, and her agenda would continue to be fulfilled without interruption...

What do you think of this theory? :fluttershy:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Let me guess, Luna fan.

I am a Luna fan, yes, but that's not what fueled this.

Celestia basically mentally abused Luna for not letter her get any recognition and pushing her aside. Luna's rebellion and transforming into Nightmare Noon was simply exaggerated by Celestia in the story to make her look more villainous. All Luna was during was standing up for herself, maybe even giving her a taste of her own medicine, too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Or, you know, Luna went around the bend from petty jealousy that the citizens of Equestria had to obey their Circadian Rhythms, went Nightmare Moon, tried to stage a coup and kill Celestia.

Boy. I'm not that big a fan of Celly, but she's got the patience of a saint!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Or, you know, Luna went around the bend from petty jealousy that the citizens of Equestria had to obey their Circadian Rhythms, went Nightmare Moon, tried to stage a coup and kill Celestia.

Boy. I'm not that big a fan of Celly, but she's got the patience of a saint!

Yeah, I have to wonder if Luna was aware of literally every pony except herself being diurnal.

Then again, Luna has been up during the daytime, but not for "royal duty" reasons. And she's also resuming her dream-walking job, I have to wonder what she did during nighttime before she became Nightmare Moon. Either the ponies were ungrateful about her dealing with their nightmares, or Luna happened to only see ponies that hate the nighttime.

Then again, that stuff is "modern Luna" who is supposedly a clone according to OP. It's not like the show could really prove that idea because those alicorns don't get much attention in the first place. As in, I doubt the writers of the show have thought as much about Celestia and Luna as OP.

Also, I doubt Princess Celestia is competent enough to manipulate others into being unwitting slaves.

Holy fuck, how haven't i seen this yet up until now?

As one of the biggest Nightmare Moon fans on the planet i find your theory really interesting.

The Celestia murdered Luna, put in a clone on her place and disguised as Nightmare Moon felt like pretty big stretch though.

But the part about Celestia beeing the selfish and evil one who just doesn't want to give up her role as worshipped leader and princess was really good.

I'll probably make a second post here where i go more into the details about thoughts on your theory because right now i'm really tired.

Overall good theory. Some parts are a bit much. But i'm glad i found this tread and i'll definitly come back to it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leonbrony17 said:

Holy fuck, how haven't I seen this yet up until now?

As one of the biggest Nightmare Moon fans on the planet, I find your theory really interesting.

The "Celestia murdered Luna, put in a clone on her place, and disguised herself as Nightmare Moon" part felt like pretty big stretch, though.

But the part about Celestia being the selfish and evil one who just doesn't want to give up her role as worshiped leader and princess was really good.

I'll probably make a second post here where I go more into the details about my thoughts on your theory because, right now, I'm really tired.

Overall, good theory. Some parts are a bit much, but I'm glad I found this thread, and I'll definitely come back to it.

I'm glad you enjoyed my theory. -hugs- /)

When I told a friend of mine this theory, they linked me to this. This issue proves Celestia is a know-it-all.

And if you're interested in hearing my other MLP theories, I'd be more than happy to share.

• Like 1

I've read the comic it was pretty good. And you can say that even after that event she didn't learn anything about compassion.

She enjoyed all the attention and praise she got from everypony, left Luna in the dust again, let her get depressed and jealous until she didn't wanted to to lower the moon anymore and got lost to the darkness.

And what was her "no other choice" solution?

Banish your little sister to the moon, make her look like the bad guy and rule alone for a millennia. Neat.

Let's talk about the elements of harmony here for a second.

When Celestia uses them against her sister she banishes her to the moon. But when the mane 6 use the elements they just vanquish the darkness and turn her back into Luna again. Why couldn't Celestia just have turned her back into Luna in the first place?

Was that "banishment to the moon beam" unintendet and she didn't have full control over the elements?

You could argue that it was somewhat of a diceroll since the last time the elements where used, Celestia and Luna used them together and they split it in half. But that's never implied and a bit of a stretch to be honest.

I claim that it was intented. That all the attention and praise was getting a little bit to her head and when Luna stepped forth to make a stand for herself Celestia was getting sick of her and chose to banish her so that she could enjoy more praise and worship.

Make up a story in which you are the good guy and get more praise and worship.

It's once again late and i'm a bit tired but I'm not done here yet. ;)

• Like 1

One more interesting little detail is that no one remembers Nightmare Moon when she returns except for Twilight who has studied the book and stuff. Twilight also read out loud "MYTH of the mare in the moon". Don't you think that something as big and vital as the story of Lunas banishment belongs into the history books and that history should be thought in school to everypony like in real life? But no one remembers a second princess because not everypony really reads or cares for myths, let alone believe they are real. It could be that a few hundred years after Lunas banishment, ponies began to care less for their ancient history like people started to care less for the history and events of WW1 and starting caring more for the history of WW2, and Celestia used that as a chance to shove that historical event into legends and myths and convinced ponies that there never was a second princess. That she has always been their only ruler. Like, "Luna? Get out of here, that's just a legend. I'm your only princess" Why else would no one remember or fear Nightmare Moons return?

Let's go further ahead in time.

Discord. Celestia didn't do anything and once again left it all to Twilight and her friends WHO ALMOST LOST until the asspull spell that shows you good memories of your past or something.

Chrysalis. You could argue that she losing against Chrysalis was a bit acted. She might have lost on purpose so that everypony goes like "Oh no! Celestia got defeated! We must protect her! We must protect the castle! And so on!" Letting others once again do the work for her.

Oh and let's talk about that "Love beats everything" moment. You gonna tell me that Chrysalis absorbing Shining Armors love, on top of her own powers which are for the most part based on how much love she has absorbed, makes her stronger than Celestia who should TECHNICALLY be one of the most powerful characters in the entire show? That must be one hell of an amp, dude. And then a weakened Cadence rubs her horn on a weakened Shining Armor and they beat not only Chrysalis, BUT THE ENTIRE CHANGELING ARMY!

Doesn't that make Cadance the strongest princess of them all?

On that note, Celestia didn't engage when Sombra returned either and Cadance and the other could have lost there as well. Getting a bit concerned about the increasing power of others and trying to get rid of them

I could be wrong about all of that and much of it could look like huge fucking stretch to some people but tiny implications for Celestia beeing a selfish ruler with a darker twist to her actions are definitly there. At least in my opinion.

• Like 1

One more thing you could bring into that theory.

I don't know if Celestias mane has always had more than one color or if her mane got additional colors when she got older or they found the elements and some of them connected to her and Luna. The show and comics each seem to have have their own canon and aren't comnected, i think.

But anyway when Celestia and Luna defeated Discord, each one took control over three elements.

Luna-and-Celestia-with-the-Elements-of-H

Celestia seems to have magic (pink star), generosity (purple) and kindness (kinda pinkish?)? The one after the magic element looks a bit off in terms of colors in my opinion, but it's probably kindness. While Luna has loyalty (red), honesty (orange) and laughter (blue).

latest?cb=20130120172521

That lines up with her personality. Celestia is kind, has strong magic and is generous. But the fact that she didn't control the element of honesty in that moment could mean that she isn't really the most honest of the two and has her secrets.

Also, her mane doesn't have an orange color in it's color scheme so that could mean a lack of honesty in her personality as well. Again i don't know about her mane, if it always looked like that, got those colors when she got older or what could be interesting, got those colors when they first picked up the elements of harmony. But Lunas mane didn't change and if it did, she would look weird. I don't know. Or maybe if Celestia always had the multi colored mane the lack of orange could foreshadow her dishonesty and lies, later in her life.

I might have gotten a bit too much into it. But i just love theorizing about mlp and there are just so many small things you can look at.

Anyway, again those are just my thoughts and i could be wrong about all of that.

• Like 1

this theory is very interesting. I don't really see Luna as being a clone but the rest of it makes a lot of sense to me, especially since the show has shown the sisters quite a few times not be on the best of terms when not in the public eye, wouldn't surprise me if Celestia was a bit dishonest with her telling of the story and Luna is annoyed with her as a result. 

• Like 1