TyrannusRex

How Long did Celestia and NMM fight?

So, pretty straightforward question: how long did the Royal Sisters clash before Nightmare was banished to the moon?

I was always under the impression their battle lasted for a single night, the night Luna turned, before Celestia, unable to turn her back, used the Elements to banish her. But I've heard it referred to as a "war" in some places, which makes me wonder if it was a more drawn-out conflict, almost a civil war of sorts... whether or not it's true, it's an interesting concept.

So am I right in assuming the one-night battle? Am I wrong? Just crazy (probably so, but still)? Or is there no straight answer in any canon? 

• Like 1

Interesting question.

Judging by the clip above it lasted only a few minutes. But it could be that time passes slower or in a different way in the show and that the fight could have very well lasted for hours or even the whole night.

Also, where did you hear somepony referring to it as a war or civil war? In the show? In discussions or theories?

I don't think it was a war, because a war can't really last for an hour or one night between only two beeings. And a civil war would have to involve ponies that would side with Nightmare Moon and ponies that side with Celestia and they would have to clash for it to be a civil war. (But that's an interesting concept by the way)

2 hours ago, leonbrony17 said:

Interesting question.

Judging by the clip above it lasted only a few minutes. But it could be that time passes slower or in a different way in the show and that the fight could have very well lasted for hours or even the whole night.

Also, where did you hear somepony referring to it as a war or civil war? In the show? In discussions or theories?

I don't think it was a war, because a war can't really last for an hour or one night between only two beeings. And a civil war would have to involve ponies that would side with Nightmare Moon and ponies that side with Celestia and they would have to clash for it to be a civil war. (But that's an interesting concept by the way)

Yeah, it was a discussion/roleplay *somewhere*, my memory's just not serving where at the moment. They referred to it as the "War of Night", and I'm like "Well, YOU get Awesome Name Points(TM)".

• Like 1

The scene from the show does not suggest anything more than a single clash.  However, many fans have usually had something much more elaborate in mind when imagining how it all went down, and plenty of fanfics have expanded the conflict.

There is room to accept the scene above as true canon and yet still have the headcanon that it was a bigger conflict than that one fight.  If you look at the flashback as the climax of a bigger story where Celestia and Equestria have been dealing with the mysterious appearance of Nightmare Moon for a while, then it becomes the unmasking scene at the end where Luna reveals that she’s been this new villain all along.  

I feel dirty talking about this. I think it's so lazy and sloppy I think whoever came up with that episode should be ashamed. It wasn't even needed. But whatever.. It doesn't really hurt the series. Headcanon is more than fine, but that scene that solves everything in a couple minutes... It's a wasted idea that could've been a whole movie if they wanted.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 9:08 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I feel dirty talking about this. I think it's so lazy and sloppy I think whoever came up with that episode should be ashamed. It wasn't even needed. But whatever.. It doesn't really hurt the series. Headcanon is more than fine, but that scene that solves everything in a couple minutes... It's a wasted idea that could've been a whole movie if they wanted.

If only the episode could've implied that the stuff shown was the abridged version, but that's not what happened. One has to wonder how anyone could be aware of Nightmare Moon when she was barely around.

I'm not against headcanon, but there should be a reason to watch the show, right?