Sign in to follow this  
VG_Addict

Will the Switch fail?

Recommended Posts

Well...

Considering the fact that I'm already considering getting it before it's even out yet, plus the fact that I NEVER got a Wii U...

Something tells me it'll do quite well.

I have no evidence to support this. Just a feeling I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be a negative nancy, but some of the things rumored don't spell well about it. 

The price which was confirmed to be $250, doesn't bode well for the hardware, some of the accessories are ugly.

And now I'm hearing it'll be hard to get one at launch. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it can't be worst than the wii U, that is impossible. But I don't know if it will be a success.

My personal opinion is yes : I'm sure so many people will be disappointed by the specs (those who consider that the switch will be a PS4 pro portable), and probably the battery life too, I think no more 4h in game, when I read some people want 6 or 8 hours battery life...

But I'm convinced that the nintendo's games will be awesome, even if the switch is a new super 3DS++. Did u saw what they can do graphically with a wii/wii U ? Contrariwise I'm very pessimist about the non-nintendo games. When I see some Xone/PS4 games crashed or display a sad framerate, I think they are not able to develop on a lower console.

Plus, nintendo fanboys like me will not buy all games on switch, I have a PC and I prefer to play on it for a better experience (exit Skyrim and co).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Celli said:

The price which was confirmed to be $250, doesn't bode well for the hardware, some of the accessories are ugly.

Any official confirmation for this? WalMart and BestBuy employees on Reddit have said they're listed at $399 and $299 respectively, but large chain stores usually have placeholder prices before any official price point is confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Any official confirmation for this? WalMart and BestBuy employees on Reddit have said they're listed at $399 and $299 respectively, but large chain stores usually have placeholder prices before any official price point is confirmed.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-release-date-and-price-leaked-poss/1100-6446696/

http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/09/nintendo-switch-to-retail-for-less-than-250-according-to-nikkei-which-is-usually-bang-on-the-money/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, Celli said:

All of those clearly stated they're speculation so I wouldn't treat them as something official. In any case...

The official release date is March 3'd and the price was confirmed at $299 at the Nintendo Press Conference.

Coverage from The Verge here.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skyrazer said:

All of those clearly stated they're speculation so I wouldn't treat them as something official. In any case...

The official release date is March 3'd and the price was confirmed at $299 at the Nintendo Press Conference.

Coverage from The Verge here.

 

Yes, I was wrong. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to actually answer OP's question, Yes, No and Maybe. 

No because it has a lot of popular titles available at launch, the platform looks promising and it has some decent specs for a Nintendo console.

Maybe because It's a completely new design and you can't be sure if people will like how it handles and works when they actually get their hands on it. 

And Yes because they're copying Microsoft and Sony by having Paid Online Services. :newspaper:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

The Paid Online Services may be the nail in the coffin for the Switch, I just don't understand why they would do something like that.

Sony did it for the PS4, and Microsoft has been doing it since the original Xbox, and no one complains about them. Why do they get free passes while Nintendo gets ragged on for it? Honestly, paid online would be the least of it's problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Celli said:

Sony did it for the PS4, and Microsoft has been doing it since the original Xbox, and no one complains about them. Why do they get free passes while Nintendo gets ragged on for it? Honestly, paid online would be the least of it's problems.

Trust me, they don't get free passes. They've been hated on by people for years, and so will Nintendo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nova S. Aurora said:

Trust me, they don't get free passes. They've been hated on by people for years, and so will Nintendo.

I dunno, I haven't seen it as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Celli said:

I dunno, I haven't seen it as much.

Then you also haven't seen a MAJOR change Nintendo is trying to pull compared to the other 2. Well, two. First, Nintendo has been offering the online services FOR FREE on every previous system. Second, they're going to do the free games like PS4/Xbone, BUT they're literally going to take away those free games at the end of the month rather then let you keep them like with the others. They offer a discount if you want to buy it after that month, sure, but the other 2 you just keep them for free anyways. What the hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, recentteen14 said:

Then you also haven't seen a MAJOR change Nintendo is trying to pull compared to the other 2. Well, two. First, Nintendo has been offering the online services FOR FREE on every previous system. Second, they're going to do the free games like PS4/Xbone, BUT they're literally going to take away those free games at the end of the month rather then let you keep them like with the others. They offer a discount if you want to buy it after that month, sure, but the other 2 you just keep them for free anyways. What the hell.

Yes, I know that. I'm not happy about that either. I'd rather have free online, just saying that I wasn't aware that the majority of gamers have been on Microsoft and Sony's asses about it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Celli said:

Sony did it for the PS4, and Microsoft has been doing it since the original Xbox, and no one complains about them. Why do they get free passes while Nintendo gets ragged on for it? Honestly, paid online would be the least of it's problems.

Actually, they do and quite a bit at that. However, most of the blind peasantry are just so used to this being the norm that they don't stop and look around before forking over a large sum of money for what most would consider basic functionality. 

6 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

The Paid Online Services may be the nail in the coffin for the Switch, I just don't understand why they would do something like that.

I was actually considering getting one of these, Nintendo's had a fair track record so far with very few stupid decisions, but this one just takes the cake. Aside from competing with Sony and Microsoft I don't see any other reason to have Paid Online Services.

4 hours ago, recentteen14 said:

 BUT they're literally going to take away those free games at the end of the month rather then let you keep them like with the others. They offer a discount if you want to buy it after that month, sure, but the other 2 you just keep them for free anyways. What the hell.

Seriously? Now that's just bullshit. :lunaew:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Actually, they do and quite a bit at that. However, most of the blind peasantry are just so used to this being the norm that they don't stop and look around before forking over a large sum of money for what most would consider basic functionality.

Right, exactly. If you look at a majority of PC games, they offer multiplayer, services, and servers at no additional cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Right, exactly. If you look at a majority of PC games, they offer multiplayer, services, and servers at no additional cost.

And the games are cheaper.

But I admit the online games are so bad to play on wii U actually. How many games I played frame by frame despite that my own internet connection was totally free and effective...

I think I'll never play online games on switch, but in my opinion this new service have a sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

67522218.jpg

Pretty much the reaction to Nintendo charging for online. So PC is the only platform with free online, another edge PC has over consoles.

But at least Nintendo is giving users a shot with it for free until later this year, so we can see if it's worth paying for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crash is coming to PS4. So that set the brakes for me on considering a Switch. I have no idea if it will sell or not. But they have atleast marketed it correctly this time compared to WiiU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid it will. Just looking at what they're doing says disaster to me. As much as I love Mario and Pokemon, it gets really boring after the 20th Mario release. And I have a friend who is a HUGE Nintendo fan, but himself admittedly said he's getting tired of the same exclusives time and time again. It was also a bad sign to me that they will be getting the standard version of Skyrim without mod support. It also sounds like it is very hard to port current gen games for the Switch with how EA said they're making a custom build of the current FIFA game just for the Nintendo Switch. Add to it that when a lead designer of Respawn, the company that makes the TitanFall series, if they would make a Switch version of TitanFall 2 his response was literally a "Fuck no" with the explanation that the Nintendo Switch just would not be able to effectively run the game. And the same will go for most other games. No developer wants to develop two full versions of their game, hence why developers usually drop last gen console support after a year or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this