Masturboy84

Best or Worst Song Ever?

It's a Rainy Day (1972) by Faust  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Best or Worst Song Ever?

• Best
    • Worst

I think it's just a song. nothing particularly bad, but I don't like it.

Because of no 3rd choice, I checked worst, even if I know tons of worst musics.

Okay, where did you find this and why is this not considered a form of torture? :thehorror:
This is seriously one of the most drawn out and monotone songs to ever reach my ears and I've listened to a lot of music. Surely there's worse than this, but it definitely hits the top 10 worst I've heard.

• Like 1

Meh.

*edit* Let me expand on that.

First I have to place this in the proper context. The 1960s and 1970s were a time of experimentation across almost all genres of music, rock music especially. Everything from instrumentation to song structure to lyrical metaphor was being explored. It didn't always work out. The band Faust in particular was a notable example of a style that grew more rapidly in Germany, rock music that didn't have any appreciable connection to its American roots in blues. This is actually kind of a more "normal" track for them, if you can believe it.

It's clearly an effort at building layered sounds up from simpler sub-structures. Musically it's alright, not really good or bad. It's not as minimalist and devoid of tradition as, say, something out of Steven Reich. It does have conventional melodies and harmonies. As background music it's perfectly serviceable.

The lyrics are what kill it for me. They're banal, impoverished of meaning, and don't wind up going anywhere. The music, at least, has a goal; to build up. Tossing in a single vocal line without a mental or emotional hook adds nothing except perhaps a songwriter credit. They actually detract from my ability to enjoy the instrumental. They actively disinterest me. 

So overall it rates a meh.

• Like 1

Okay, where did you find this and why is this not considered a form of torture?

I used to listen to lots of "progressive" rock and experimental music back then when i was younger, i eventually lost interest but some memories remain.

20 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

As background music it's perfectly serviceable.

The lyrics are what kill it for me.

I agree with these statements (the rest cut to hone in).

Honestly too, the drum-line had me thinking of something from Faun. For a bit I almost had the two confused because when I first came through this thread I had forgotten the name.

But also listening to the first minute of the Faust track and this back-to-back I'm beginning to second guess myself. But for the sake of conversation I'll toss it here.