Bill_Ames

The Pony Movie!

Can the Pony Movie live up to our expectations? How will we measure it? (1) Animation. Watch the animation in the TV show when ponies are singing. Kind of rough has to be better than that. (2) Music. Pick you top 5 favorite songs from MLP or EQG. They have had enough time, at least 5 (it is a musical, right?) and they better at least be in that class. (3) Plot. Look at every plot so far in MLP or EQG. The darker the better. Starlight sets the bottom line for villains. (4) What do you want? Would you pay an extra $5 per ticket for, say, Sunset? xD (5) New Characters? If you have a guest voice they are not likely to be in the TV shows. The better new special characters the bigger disappointment. Ouch. (6) Picture details. Let’s say 2 hours and widescreen. Blu ray pre-orderable ASAP. (7) Something in season 7 to wet our appetite? Yes, or someone will be fired. What are your expectations? These are my minimum. Who is target demo for it? Do they even know? What do YOU want?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baltoist said:

I'm expecting a good movie

Since they have not done a real Hollywood type pony movie why would you expect Hasbro to have a clue how to make it right?

1 minute ago, Bill_Ames said:

Since they have not done a real Hollywood type pony movie why would you expect Hasbro to have a clue how to make it right?

So you're expecting a bad movie?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baltoist said:

So you're expecting a bad movie?

No, I am expecting a movie made to Hasbro standards. What I want is so much better than anything they could imagine. I want Sunset, at least one of the CMC to become of age in battle, a background pony to play a key part, a real villain that might hurt a pony, an explanation of why Starlight has such power, arguments between the mane six, the map creator to be made known. See? xD

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Steamworks said:

They've made movies and pony movies before. 

My guess they would not have been of the magnitude or expectations of this one.

• Like 1

I think whatever they do, I'll be happy. I expect they do something epic, and not about babysitting or finding the lost boulder, or valentines day, or any else bullshit.

It will be epic, and I'll enjoy it, for sure, discord or not.

And Celestia will die, I guess. I hope xD.:huzzah:

30 minutes ago, Bakaarion said:

I think whatever they do, I'll be happy.

I expect they do something epic, and not about babysitting or finding the lost boulder, or valentines day, or any else bullshit.

It will be epic, and I'll enjoy it, for sure, discord or not.

And Celestia will die, I guess. I hope xD.

So, accept whatever they do.

Next, set limits on what they can do.

Finally, what they must do.

Perhaps you should wait for the blu ray?

• Like 1

If the movie does not set the stage for a second movie they will have spent a lot of money and limited their return. Done right the movie will establish a villain that only another movie can concur.

On 28/01/2017 at 8:47 PM, Bill_Ames said:

Can the Pony Movie live up to our expectations? How will we measure it? (1) Animation. Watch the animation in the TV show when ponies are singing. Kind of rough has to be better than that. (2) Music. Pick you top 5 favorite songs from MLP or EQG. They have had enough time, at least 5 (it is a musical, right?) and they better at least be in that class. (3) Plot. Look at every plot so far in MLP or EQG. The darker the better. Starlight sets the bottom line for villains. (4) What do you want? Would you pay an extra $5 per ticket for, say, Sunset? xD (5) New Characters? If you have a guest voice they are not likely to be in the TV shows. The better new special characters the bigger disappointment. Ouch. (6) Picture details. Let’s say 2 hours and widescreen. Blu ray pre-orderable ASAP. (7) Something in season 7 to wet our appetite? Yes, or someone will be fired. What are your expectations? These are my minimum. Who is target demo for it? Do they even know? What do YOU want?

The secret to enjoying this whole franchise is keeping expectations as low as possible. And I don't mean this as a bad thing. MLP just isn't really very ambitious.

• Like 2

I'm hoping they get some large format versions out. Imax and Dolby Cinema. Dolby would be cool as they can produce a video wall to setup the film letting Pinkie pie welcome you to Ponyville.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, Bill_Ames said:

Lionsgate is the one releasing the movie. They've released direct-to-dvd and theater movies before.

On 1/29/2017 at 10:39 AM, baltoist said:

I'm expecting a good movie

Same!

If it's good or bad (I'm going to say good). I'm buying a ticket, as well as bringing my niece and nephew. I hope everyone here goes to the theater and supports the fine people involved in G4. It would break my heart if G4 ended because (God forbid) the movie tanked, like G1 Transformers and GI Joe did in 1986.