When last we saw the villainous monarch, she was fleeing across the desert, freshly dispossessed of her hive and status. She's sworn revenge on Starlight Glimmer, but how will she enact it? Does she simply start a new hive, and try to keep this batch from finding out about the benefits* of love-sharing? Does she switch places with somepony important and destabilize Equestria from the inside? Recruit some old villains and form a League of Terribleness? Or does she make it more personal, impersonating Starlight and doing mean things to ruin her already questionable reputation? I'd love to hear some theories about what her next move might be.

*stylish looks not included

Chrysalis next move is being redeemed... Personally, I loved Chrsyalis as a villain because I assumed that her motivation was caring for the changelings. Now that I know that she's just another 'dark-evil-bad', she lost a lot of her appeal to me.

In reality, I think that the best thing they could do with Chrysalis now is have her try to wrestle the changelings from Thorax. Maybe she has some dark spell that turns changelings back to their original selves. But I don't really know how they'd pull this off because it would have to involve the ponies and it would make things too convoluted.

Maybe the best path for Chrysalis is seeking revenge, even if she doesn't really stand to gain anything from it. Just out of spite, try to destroy what those who defeated her love the most.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Chrysalis next move is being redeemed... Personally, I loved Chrsyalis as a villain because I assumed that her motivation was caring for the changelings. Now that I know that she's just another 'dark-evil-bad', she lost a lot of her appeal to me.

I think Chryssi's got more depth to her than has been revealed. At least, assuming whoever randomly gets picked to write her next episode has some imagination and gives her a backstory.

Presumably, she grew up in a different hive somewhere else before leaving to start her own. And also presumably, the changelings there knew about their own life cycle and had no problems developing from their black, juvenile forms to the fruity colorful ones we saw in the s6 finale. But Chrysalis did, for whatever reason. Her growth is stunted. Maybe it's a biological defect. Maybe, either as a psychological side effect of said defect or as the main factor, she has crazy self-esteem issues, feeling that nopony could ever love her and thus being unwilling and/or unable to freely give love herself. She could have been a social outcast in her own hive, and once she started one of her own, thought that if her children were happy and sated with love (MLP spawns some weird concepts), they wouldn't need her anymore. She'd be unable to reciprocate; their metamorphosis would leave her behind. So she kept them in the dark, kept them hungry, so they'd need her. Not that she didn't try to give them everything she could. She almost took over Canterlot so that they could suck up as much love as they wanted. Maybe she thought it would work, and they'd actually have enough to last a while.

Another theory of mine is that the metamorphosis takes away a changeling's ability to, well, change. She might have rationalized keeping them hungry as a way to keep them all in a state more useful for infiltrating and taking over Equestria. Whether her real motivation was naked ambition, or insecurity that she was in denial about, this would have been what she told herself to justify keeping her hive in the dark about their biological destiny.

So when Starlight comes along, teaches them all how to changeling properly, and then casually appoints Thorax King of the Changelings before she even thinks to ask if Chrysalis still wants to be part of her own hive, she'd naturally be a little pissed off. Her fears were realized. The hive up and moved on without her. She wouldn't have considered that they might still welcome her among them, and even if they did, she wouldn't be Queen/Empress anymore, just the weird black lanky one who couldn't evolve.

1 hour ago, Friendship is Horses said:

I think Chryssi's got more depth to her than has been revealed. At least, assuming whoever randomly gets picked to write her next episode has some imagination and gives her a backstory.

True. But that can be said about any fictional character, who just don't have a "deeper layer" until they are given it. Take it from a disheartened Celestia fan: don't expect much.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Same here.

Queen Chrysalis used to be one of the few villains with a reasonable motivation,

which is why she used to be one of my favorites as far as baddies go.

Now, I don't really care what she does next, in all honesty.