Sign in to follow this  
straydogdragon

What counts as a bronie?

Lots of things have happened to me over the past years or so, but this question has been rolling about for much of it.

From a bronie group saying I'm not worth knowing, to being told to kill myself on a IRC, I've had several disappointing bronie encounters.  For a bunch of people who say they care I seem to keep meeting those who clearly lied when they said they did.  Results haven't been good, from feelings of isolation to a growing wish to see equestra and all it's ponies burn and suffer for the false hope I'd been given.  Then again, I've got issues truth be told.

So far I've only met one generally good one in person and even he wonders why I have the worst luck, to worries of my state from what I've been through.

Question is thus: What makes a bronie?  If it is a simple to just watching the show, then they should have never told me how caring they are when, ultimately, they didn't.  If I am so worthless, then they should not have been advertised as seeing worth in people.

I don't know, maybe it's the same with all fandoms, it's just that this one makes me wish I'd never went near it with whats it has caused.

I believe it was a mistake to expect great things from people based on a single trait. Good, bad and mediocre people can be found everywhere regardless of what they do in their spare time.

The good thing is now you can learn from this and be warned against your own prejudice (because assuming people is good just because of a random thing they do is just as prejudiced as assuming they're bad).

As for the question, a brony is somebody who calls himself a brony or who doesn't refuse to be called that way by others. As simply as that.

A brony is someone who enjoy the show. The one that told you every brony was the caring type was most certainly talking about himself and his acquaintances but it cannot be generalized as every fandom has its fair share of morons.

1 hour ago, straydogdragon said:

Know where I can talk to people who aren't nasty sorts?

Here? But i suspect the kind of reactions you'll receive will have more to do with what you talk about and how much about you are you willing to reveal.

In my opinion it's never a good idea to let strangers know too much about you, but if you -for some strange reason- want to become public, i guess it's better to star with baby steps so you can find out who's really interested in a good kind of way and tell them from those who only want to bother you.

As long as it doesn't start with J, most of the bronies I met are pretty cool. I even met Calpain at Ponycon NYC one year and he's such cool guy and *internal fangirling because he was like hey my dudes sign my sick af lab coat FOR SCIENCE AND I DID AAAAAAAAAAA* 

I can see those bronies you met begin with the letter J, because Jabroni means loser, and those bronies are definitely losers. 

5 hours ago, straydogdragon said:

Guessing there is no chat function?

Interesting point. What we do in the forums, doesn't count as a conversation? ii's obviously some sort of communication but i guess a chatroom is more similar to a person to person "real life" chat in a way. However it's still a way of virtual "talking" a believe.

It's amazing to me how people who base part of their identity on a show about friendship can still be misanthropic shitheads. Probably that sense of love and belonging attracts them to the show because it's missing from their real lives. Talk about hypocrisy, though. Most bronies I've talked to online have been cool, but I hear other people complaining about the toxicity of the fandom on a regular basis. I guess it depends on what sites you frequent?

I believe that relentless positivity can erode the prickly shells off some of these doofuses, and bore the more committed jerks into looking for someone else to bother. Just keep smiling and don't let people get to you. Or at least hide it. "Fake it till you make it". In my experience, if you're nice and polite to an online heckler for just a short while -- basically treat the conversation like a real, face-to-face interaction, and ignore their antagonizing -- they'll fizzle out, and either warm up to you or wander off. That doesn't mean they'll suddenly become worth talking to, and if they're acting like a dick to begin with they probably aren't, but at least you've taken the wind out of their sails.

Generally people feel bad because they dare not talking about their own opinion. If you don't, your mind will intentionally agreed all the sh*t who can be said, and it will make you sad, because you will think you like this sh*t.

It is very difficult to find the right balance, to listen and understand other opinions, or never listen them.

But I think when you feel bad like that, you have to impose your opinion little more. Ask yourself your questions before ask them to others, always.

-------------------

On 08/02/2017 at 7:55 PM, Friendship is Horses said:

"Fake it till you make it"

Is a good advice.

• Like 1