Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757) wrote 555 sonatas which are now regarded as masterpieces, in case you haven't heard them all yet, You can find Scott Ross' full version of them arranged as a playlist on Youtube.

My favourite is K141, sadly Pierre Hantaï's version is not available on Youtube for you to hear, so i'd post Jean Rondeau's instead. It's something.

I'd like to make this a poll but there would be 555 choices which is probably much more than people interested in picking one. So i'd appreciate if you could comment what's your favourite down there.

Dusk.

Hahah but no seriously Beethoveen Piano Sonata No. 14. It has withstood the test of time as it was popular even in Beethoveen's day and never lost its luster. A 200 year winning streak is a powerful argument in its favor.

• Like 1

Thanks for your opinion. Although I was expecting this conversation to be about Scarlatti's sonatas alone. But I guess it's impossible to prevent people from expressing their own so...

Beethoveen Piano Sonata No. 14.

But played by whom?

Is Arrau good enough for you? It came to my mind mostly because he'd be celebrating his 100th one of these days i believe. Of course he won't because he's already dead but the media and the music industry seem to focus on these anniversaries and ephemeris like they meant something.

If "best" is a word too strong for you, please tell me which one you like, or the one you hear more often, or the one you remember more easily because of whatever circumstance.

The one I listen to most often nowadays is actually appended to the end of another recording. Jon Oliva clacks out an aggressive, hard-edged, menacing version after delivering the dark introduction of the devil himself to a distraught, dying Beethoven.