PinkiePie97

[Spoilers] New Characters/Designs Revealed

I would very much advise this be tagged with Spoilers for the spoilerphobic. An addition to the title and/or a tag would be ideal.

In any case, those designs are neat. Last one looks a tad OC-y but the rest are good.

29 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

I would very much advise this be tagged with Spoilers for the spoilerphobic. An addition to the title and/or a tag would be ideal.

I just edited the title.

This is shaping up to be epic. The ponies are finally getting a high-stakes, feature-length adventure! It's encouraging to see the diversity of the new characters. It looks like we're going on a journey for this one.

Capper seems to have wandered in from a different movie, though. Haven't we already established cats in the MLP universe as being, you know, normal cats?

• Like 2

I'm not digging these designs. Well, specifically, Zoe Saldana's and the cat. I don't see a reason to make them bipeds when Saldana's character could be a gryphon and the design would pretty much be the same and I'd really like to see the cat as a "real" feline. I don't know. I feel like this is a crossover rather than a MLP movie. After the EG movies, I'd like to see more thematic consistency, unless they're going to another world or something.

Also... Edgy O. C. "Broken Horn" McEmo makes me laugh every time I look at her.

Princess Sushi looks fine, as does Tirek, I mean, the centaur.

Take what I say with a grain of salt: I'm really not too excited about this movie because I think that the mindset behind MLP doesn't really work very well with epic stuff. If there is a huge threat, I expect other nations to get involved... I'm sure the bald eagles gryphons would kick ass, but every time the cartoon ignores everything outside of Equestria. So my only hope for this movie is that whatever is happening is faaaaar from what we know from the cartoon and the ponies are there because "ponies!"

EDIT: Yes! I know about Catrina. G1 also had humans from the start.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Expanding a little

Apparently there were humanoid cats in previous incarnations / "generations" of the franchise. But then again there were also normal humans in earlier generations as well, so I'm not really sure how much that matters at this point. The world of FiM seems a lot more... I dunno, consistent? Focused? Limited? Whatever you want to call it, it does seem like an anthro cat is more out of place here.

I'm not throwing fits about it or anything, but I'm definitely in the camp of "skeptical and not really digging it". I like the overall consistency of the show, and I find most of the denizens of the show being quadrupedal (or at least animalistic, like the Diamond Dogs) to be very charming. Its neat seeing how quadrupeds do things differently. And we have EG for people who want more "human" characteristics in their ponies.

That said, I'm actually more hesitant about Zoe's character, Captain Calaeno, than Capper. Its a crap-quality image, so its hard to say for absolute certain, but it looks like she's very similar to griffons. Except she's also an anthro character (or appears to be, though again because of the image quality its possible she's just rearing up in the image). At least with the cat, its a matter of adding a new race to the mix with distinct looks. With this other character, I'm not really seeing any reason to not just make her a griffon as already seen in FiM.

Unless they're going for some kind of angle where they're trying to have distinct visual / character design styles for each "country" (or region, or whatever they're calling it). And are making the other area all anthros to give a larger contrast to Equestria. Which seems possible, except that Princess Skystar is also probably not from Equestria (she's clearly not a regular pony, most seem to be assuming she's one of the rumored "sea ponies" who are from elsewhere) and she's not anthro...

As for the other designs... Tempest Shadow is super edgy. Scar, broken horn, AND black armor? Heh. I do like her overall color scheme, though. Its a good looking design even with all the edge. Princess Skystar looks pretty nice. If she IS a seapony, I like the way they're going with their overall themes, with the "hair" having a sort of fin-like appearance, the pearl, and what I'm guessing is supposed to resemble an anemone. Not sure why a SEA pony would have a name related to the SKY though. King Storm is kind of a bland design, but it still looks decent enough. Looks kinda centaur-like, but those talon hands he has don't exactly match up.

EDIT: Hmm. A few on Reddit have pointed out that the name Calaeno references the harpies of greek myth. Seems reasonable that she's a harpy, then. Makes sense, harpies are often depicted as being anthro in nature, and it'd be necessary to set them apart from griffons. Not sure why they made the head look so similar to griffons if they're a different race, though. Even in real life, birds have a ton of variety in head shape, surely they could have made something a little more distinct.

• Like 1

Another Seapony? If so, I guess that means the other one isn't the ruler but rather the Queen here. That's at least something interesting. Guess the little glowing tendrils are the seapony version of an alicorn horn. As above, I'm liking how they're designing this race so far.

16 hours ago, AaronMk said:

>Cat-man character

we zooptopia now

Psh, go back to Furry Appearances In Popular Media School, n00b!

I question the antrocat character. Unless he's part of some special species a la Diamond Dogs and not just a regular cat, it's going to make Rarity's ownership of Opalescence somewhat problematic. Plus he doesn't really fit in stylistically with the other races, I feel. Seems a bit pedestrian next to all the horse-shaped and quadrupedal creatures MLP has emphasized so far.

Other than that I'm really liking these designs and the apparent nautical direction of this adventure!

I have to admit... the characters look good. The cat one looks like something from Ghibil's 'The Cat Returns' lol.

I hope I can watch it. As my fandom is still up in the air right now.

6 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

Psh, go back to Furry Appearances In Popular Media School, n00b!

I question the antrocat character. Unless he's part of some special species a la Diamond Dogs and not just a regular cat, it's going to make Rarity's ownership of Opalescence somewhat problematic. Plus he doesn't really fit in stylistically with the other races, I feel. Seems a bit pedestrian next to all the horse-shaped and quadrupedal creatures MLP has emphasized so far.

Other than that I'm really liking these designs and the apparent nautical direction of this adventure!

You have to admit though, day one and he's already in some dank may-mays

1360039__safe_capper_my+little+pony-colo

1360261__safe_capper_my+little+pony-colo

And just for the Tom and Jerry funposting:

1359652__safe_capper_my+little+pony-colo

On 11.2.2017 at 3:50 AM, Metemponychosis said:

Check this out. I don't know the actress, but I love it.

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2017/2/11/1359833.jpeg

Looks like Celestia somehow. Does that mean she will be worfed in 10 seconds flat and that Nightmare Muffin sees her as satan?

Questions, questions.

Only Tirek II. looks good. The others... :|

5 hours ago, BasementPony16 said:

Looks like Celestia somehow. Does that mean she will be worfed in 10 seconds flat and that Nightmare Muffin sees her as satan?

Questions, questions.

Only Tirek II. looks good. The others... :|

Well, Meghan McCarthy is involved...

2 hours ago, BasementPony16 said:

I wanted to see an mlp movie and i get Sea Ponies, pirates and weird, partly artistic unfitting creatures.

Since someone called it, I'm going to share a few thoughts that have been with me since the first Equestria Girls was announced and we thought it was going to be a pony movie.

Does anyone remember some time ago when the creative staff of several cartoons where "whinning" that the era of creator driven cartoons was ending? This is exactly what they meant. The reason Bunga here is going to be on a MLP theatrical release is that Hasbro wants to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. This is the case ever since the first Equestria Girls. You people decide for yourselves if this is good or bad. I'm now going to share my opinion on this whole thing.

It creates worlds that are as wide as oceans and as deep as puddles. The problem is Hasbro's philosophy over it's franchise. On one front, they antagonize the fandom under pretension of protecting the IP when there are other companies that do the exact opposite and the truth is that both are fine. They filled legal departments that need to justify their existence.

Also, Hasbro, DHX and IDW don't give a damn about the quality of the franchise from the storytelling perspective. All they want is for you to buy stuff. And this is why the movie is going to widen the puddle and you're expected to buy comics if you want to learn about the history of Equestria. And people complain about the oh-so-evil Disney...

Ironically, I can think of two franchises under Disney that are much better from this perspective: The Lion Guard and Star Wars: Rebels. Both are much more focused and even when more limited by TV age ratings and target audience guidelines (Lion Guard), manage to explore their universe in a more mature way than MLP, making better use of their source material and appealing to the fan's want to learn more about the world while at the same time expectation to find familiarity within the world. Just slapping the familiar characters there won't do if they're not in their world. It's going to feel like a crossover fic.

Also ironically, this shows how much these IP holders respect their costumers. Disney too wants you to buy their stuff. The difference is that they treat the animated media as part of the product, instead of advertisement. Because they know that you, the person that consumes their product, isn't an idiot that will blindly praise everything that comes out for the sake of praising. Also because the quality of their product is in the product itself, not in the praise from the consumer.

It sounds like I hate MLP, but that is not the case. The problem is that MLP is a huge pool of wasted potential. As much as I like it, I like it because of what it could've been and because of what it still manages to give, keeping alive these characters in those episodes in-between season openers and finales. Also, I'm not disappointed by what I'm seeing: this is Equestria Girls all over again, dressed in different clothes. Instead of teaching me more about the magical land that I love, the characters are going to leave it and explore some other crap I don't really care about because it's not what brought me to the cartoon to begin with.

Now, that won't stop me from watching the movie and enjoying it if the story it tells is good, well crafted and makes good use of the characters. I don't like Capper's design, but who knows? Maybe he'll crack me up on the screen. This may be a good movie. Just not the movie that I wanted (because I can only speak for myself) ever since being in love with the whole mythos of the two godlike creatures that brought day and night to this magical land, the mythos of the magical power of friendship and where it came from.

I'm starting to hate mlp.

Someone serves you the best dinner ever, made you addictive and after three bites from it he starts to urinate on it. That's mlp for me. I'm eating a meal full of urine.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, BasementPony16 said:

I'm starting to hate mlp.

Someone serves you the best dinner ever, made you addictive and after three bites from it he starts to urinate on it. That's mlp for me. I'm eating a meal full of urine.

Then stop.

As for me, I try to keep things in perspective. This is a family cartoon franchise with the express purpose of moving toys. When it was announced, there was nerdrage because it signaled the end of "creator-driven TV" and a return to the bad-old-days of 80s tie-in cartoons.

Then the show came out, and a lot of people liked it.

When there was a lot of Hasbro hyping for the big royal wedding between two ponies we'd never seen before, bronies hated the idea. Clearly this was just going to be a terrible rush-job to sell new pink princess toys and capitalize on the real-life Royal Wedding going on in the UK. In the lead-up, we even learned that one of the two characters was related to Twilight Sparkle despite never being mentioned before, and the whole thing was proclaimed to be a clumsy retcon before it even aired. And Tori Spelling, WTF???

Then 'A Canterlot Wedding' aired, and not only was everything forgiven but it was quickly adopted as a high water mark for the series.

When Equestria Girls was announced and the premise revealed, there was instant backlash. Shark-jumping, selling out, desecrated the sacred Faust's intentions for the show and all that.

Turns out the first movie was NOT horrific, the second one was legitimately great, and the subsequent two have been consistent fun.

So on and so forth. It's not like there haven't been turns taken that I personally didn't care for, but cheese Louise it's not like I'm getting knifed in the heart by my own best friend or anything. Overall the good is still pretty damn good, the bad is at worst mediocre, the show and its myriad offshoots remains fun for me.

Most importantly, I don't get worked up over things that haven't happened yet. Because the creative teams behind MLP have a proven track record for turning "OMG WHY THIS? IT'LL BE THE WORST THING EVER!" into "Okay, that was good!" Despite this, there's apparently no shortage of fans with short memories and surprisingly little faith in the people who make the show they claim to love. It seems especially weird to me considering this is the fandom built around "a show for little girls" which is constantly asking other people to give it a chance instead of prejudging it dismissively.

• Like 2