Soldier Surplus

Tryhard-ing?

Not sure if that's a word but that's what I've been feeling from the people for the past few months. 

Now i'm not saying any of you cool people are acting like a tryhard... well not technically anyway. Just your play style. I can understand if you've pumped over a billion (exaggeration) hours in one class and you have basically become god at that class, then i can understand. But something feels off, I know this is about a game where you shoot people and all that but this is also the same game that has conga and headbutts sooo....  

I'm not trying to anger anyone but this has been nagging me for the past few months now and I wanted to address it. What are your thoughts?

To be a tryhard is to be someone who only understands winning and will take nothing less than that as a result. To be good or to play at your best is not the same as what makes you a tryhard, it is how you act with your end result. 

To be a tryhard is to be someone who only understands winning and will take nothing less than that as a result. To be good or to play at your best is not the same as what makes you a tryhard, it is how you act with your end result. 

But I guess what i mean is play styles. The person may be fully understanding of winning and losing and is fine with either, but it's the way people play the game that's bothering me. Not saying that there is a certain way to play the game, just the way some do play it feels like it's a life or death matter.

Server hasn't even been around that long and already this thread. Whee. "Tryhard" is an empty word. It really only means someone you're mad at. Half the time, it's used by sore losers to describe the other team in an effort to validate their loss by claiming to be the ones with the superior attitude. That's not usually the case, and even if it were, it doesn't really matter. People play for all sorts of reasons, and winning is probably going to be high on the list of what people want out of a game. Can't begrudge anyone's play style for that. Now, if they're screaming at people who aren't playing how they want, I'd say that makes them less of a tryhard and more of an asshole, dontcha think? 

• Like 1

Server hasn't even been around that long and already this thread. Whee. "Tryhard" is an empty word. It really only means someone you're mad at. Half the time, it's used by sore losers to describe the other team in an effort to validate their loss by claiming to be the ones with the superior attitude. That's not usually the case, and even if it were, it doesn't really matter. People play for all sorts of reasons, and winning is probably going to be high on the list of what people want out of a game. Can't begrudge anyone's play style for that. Now, if they're screaming at people who aren't playing how they want, I'd say that makes them less of a tryhard and more of an asshole, dontcha think? 

Hmm despite the 'tude, I have to agree with you. I meant this more for the pf2 people than the server, because the same people are on the server despite the server.Yes i know the server was just created -.- 

It's just an old accusation that you see in any competitive scene. "The other guy is cheating." "The other team is stacked with all the good players." "The other guys are no lifers who only care about winning." Having played both sides of the fence in many games with similar accusations, both from the red vs blue perspective and the casual vs hardcore, I've seen its rarely actually the case. Neither side is trying to make the game miserable for anyone else or even trying to win at the detriment of the enjoyment of everyone else. Usually, it's just a twisted case of "the grass is always greener on the other side." People don't like perceiving that they're at a disadvantage and because they do, they look for convenient scapegoats to blame. 

• Like 2

It's just an old accusation that you see in any competitive scene. "The other guy is cheating." "The other team is stacked with all the good players." "The other guys are no lifers who only care about winning." Having played both sides of the fence in many games with similar accusations, both from the red vs blue perspective and the casual vs hardcore, I've seen its rarely actually the case. Neither side is trying to make the game miserable for anyone else or even trying to win at the detriment of the enjoyment of everyone else. Usually, it's just a twisted case of "the grass is always greener on the other side." People don't like perceiving that they're at a disadvantage and because they do, they look for convenient scapegoats to blame. 

That actually makes sense. I does feel that way and i try to at least get better at the game. But 2600 hours later I still feel sub-par. So i look for another reason for why i'm not good and that usually results to blaming others... wow. 

^ This. 

I seem to get called a TryHard from time to time. Usually it's because I've joined a server which has plenty of players on it, and most of them are playing the game, but a few are just Derping around. 

My own opinoion: TF2 servers are for playing TF2 on. If there are enough people on the server to support a game (more than three), then I'm going to push the cart / capture the flag / shoot you in the head. Nobody should take this personally, it's just how the rules of the game work. 

ulule_twilight_2_1_jpg_640x360_crop_upsc

^ This. 

I seem to get called a TryHard from time to time. Usually it's because I've joined a server which has plenty of players on it, and most of them are playing the game, but a few are just Derping around. 

My own opinoion: TF2 servers are for playing TF2 on. If there are enough people on the server to support a game (more than three), then I'm going to push the cart / capture the flag / shoot you in the head. Nobody should take this personally, it's just how the rules of the game work. 

ulule_twilight_2_1_jpg_640x360_crop_upsc

Well of course i don't approve of being friendly when the focus is playing the game, just more of the subjective subject of 'fun'

I don't think I've ever encountered a "try-hard" in TF2 in the many years I've played on it. Counter Strike: GO on the other hand....yeah thats a different story altogether 

To me a tryhard is someone that refuses to acknowledge that there are other ways to play the game, even if they don't personally enjoy that. Let's say for example there's a server literally full of people being friendly and taunting and throwing sandwiches and whatnot, then someone comes on and starts killing everyone. That person would be a tryhard or just an asshole. Now if the majority of people are playing he objective and one guy with a sandwich on the side takes a few bullets then that doesn't make you a tryhard.

tl;dr you're a tryhard if you kill when EVERYONE is friendly (or take the game far more seriously than you should)

That falls into the trap of moral superiority because a person isn't playing your way, one of the prime things people accuse "tryhards" of. People are going to play however they want to play and unless it's an event where people have agreed beforehand to only do a specific thing, one can't really begrudge a lone friendly or a lone berserker, IMHO. 

To me a tryhard is someone that refuses to acknowledge that there are other ways to play the game, even if they don't personally enjoy that

This part, I agree with. I use tryhard in a slightly different context. Usually, "Trying too hard." Someone who is putting an excessive (to me) amount of effort into appearing a certain way, whether that's "random and weird" or "pro bad ass." 

• Like 1

This part, I agree with. I use tryhard in a slightly different context. Usually, "Trying too hard." Someone who is putting an excessive (to me) amount of effort into appearing a certain way, whether that's "random and weird" or "pro bad ass." 

spot on definition. There isn't anything wrong with "trying hard" it's when people get over-confident and "try too hard" to be something there not. 

I have no issue with friendly players, but I don't understand why they don't just go to a server that is meant for that if they want to do that stuff instead of harassing people for killing them on a normal server. Alternatively, just play G-mod if you want to play a game for screwy around like that.

The only time I have a problem with it is when a server is low on folks and 1 guy is going so hard as to make everyone up and leave. A pro spy/sniper can clear shit out quickly. Casuals won't stick around long enough to fill the server if they can't engage an enemy.

But that's really it. If the server can sustain with the play style, I don't see a problem. I think it only matters if it kills the server.

I find when someone is trying their absolute hardest to win, they'll usually burn themselves out within a map or just leave to go stomp a more casual server. If they're persistent on not letting us get out of spawn I'll just do what I do best: leave and go play Splatoon or something.