• Nightmare Moon
    • Discord
    • Chrysalis
    • King Sombra
    • Tirek
    • StarLight Glimmer
    • Pony Of Shadows
    • Cozy Glow

Chrysalis WAS a great villain, but Starlight and Thorax took the nerf bat to her something fierce, stripping her of her army, which made her less imposing. Without an army, subterfuge seems to be her only weapon, and given her foes, it's not a great weapon, so she's lost some of her cult of personality.

Discord, when he was a villain, had the bad habit of always underestimating his foes given his godly power, but now that he befriended Fluttershy, he's out of the villain game, so I have a hard time viewing him in such a light. He just seemed like a petulant but lonely child trying to enjoy themselves and not inherently evil.

Sombra... He dead. It's a big thing to be one of only two villains to get killed, but the sign of a good villain is trying to AVOID the dying thing (unless you're Milon from FF4, and dying would help you reach your final form, in which case yay you). Hell, even when alive, he had a serious obsession with crystals, to the point that he didn't get any real personality development. Clearly a one-note villain.

The Pony of Shadows was clearly horse Venom, so no help there. :newspaper:

Cozy Glow basically stole Tirek's playbook for her plan, using a set of artifacts to stand in for his power (and also seemed to only go after unicorn/horned magic in particular, which was another mistake), and like Sunset, forgot that even if she succeeded in Phase 1 that Equestria HAS A STANDING PROFESSIONAL ARMY. Sure, there would be no more magic, but magic or not, spears are pointy, and trust me, you DO NOT need pointy. :awesomecheer:

At least Cozy pissed off the royals enough to send her to Tartartus. Even Princess "I'd Never Wish Banishment On My Worst Enemy" Luna & Princess Twilight "Forgive 'Em All" Sparkle was like, "Reform her? Screw that noise. Send that little shit to Hell!!" That's something.

Nightmare Moon was basically Luna succumbing to her loneliness and her darkest emotions. So, it was her goth phase?

At any rate, Nightmare Moon did prove imposing, and being able to control the moon made her truly formidable, not to mention she was clearly a genjutsu master given all the illusions and mind control of the fauna she did, and seeing as such events tested their natures, I suspect part of those traps were designed by Luna as a why to see if they could free her from her state as Nightmare Moon. Overall, the OG villain still is pretty good in retrospect. Also, any villain that promises eternal night CLEARLY did nothing wrong, and is alright in my books.

This leaves Starlight and Tirek. Starlight kicked all kinds of ass in my books for forming cultist commune, playing the long game in her aims for revenge instead of rushing for quick gratification, and as such had a Machiavellian plan to beat her enemies, and thanks to Many-Worlds Interpretation, the actions taken in the past created countless new parallel timelines of untold suffering, including one containing a genocidal end result that killed all life on the planet. That was quite epic, but her motivation for evil was lame. In that sense, she's basically the Broly of MLP.

Now Tirek, whom I voted for, his plan was succinct but effective - just eat all the magic (which unlike with Cozy Glow meant the magic of pegasi, earth ponies, and alicorns too) and become the new god of the land, and he was well on his, even getting Discord to side with him. His only REAL mistake was when he finally went red he also went full Aizen and forgot all about his tactics and subterfuge. He relied too much on his gained powers and was largely beaten by his own hubris. Also, the good guys had a McGuffin that allowed the Mane 6 to go Super Saiyan. Honestly, I think the only reason we haven't seen Rainbow Power appear again (outside of Luna's nightmare) is that I think that form is a form the Tree of Harmony reserves for when there is a foe that cannot be redeemed or stopped with friendship alone, for whom the only solution IS to blast them to Hell. In all, Tirek just seems like the best villain to me.

I voted for King Sombra because in his backstory he enslaved the whole crystal empire plus he had a really cool design. I really hope he shows up again in s9 I think there was a rumor he would.

• Like 1

Starlight Glimmer. Aside from the monsters and demi-gods the Mane 6 had to fight, she was just a pony that looked like any other pony. She showed that raw anger and an excellent intellect made for a villain that Twilight was completely stalemated by which hasn't occurred before or since. Twilight's only option was to appeal to Starlight's heart, she was completely out of options at that point.

• Like 1

The best villain in my opinion is nightmare moon, I had an interseting thought, what did she do when she was banished to the moon? :ponder:

• Like 1