Nova S. Aurora

I'm in a Game rut, pls halp.

Recommended Posts

I've played so many games, and now I'm running out of games to play. Please recommend me a game.

Examples of some of my favorite games (old and new)

 

Elder Scrolls Series
Fallout Series (not so much the older ones)
Kerbal Space Program
Civilization V/VI
Terraria
Minecraft
Overwatch
Elder Scrolls Online
Team Fortress 2
BioShock Trilogy
Earthbound/Mother 2
Paper Mario TTYD
Diablo III
Garry's Mod
Stardew Valley
Portal/Portal 2
Rocket League
Undertale
Sorcery!
Watch_Dogs
Grand Theft Auto IV/V
Factorio
Rainbow Six Siege
Long Live the Queen
Phantasy Star
Cities: Skylines
Simcity 2000/Simcity 4
Age of Empires II
Empire Earth I



I don't really have a defined genre of game that I like, and I'm willing to try nearly any kind of game. Send me some recommendations, pls.

What I mostly look for in a game is usually a good single player experience, whether that be good game mechanics, a good story, or the like.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Witcher series

Crusader Kings 2

Europa "Memeversalis" Universalis 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Banished

Metal Gear Rising

Hearts of Iron 4: Bash the Fash Bugaloo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

The Witcher series

Crusader Kings 2

Europa "Memeversalis" Universalis 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Banished

Metal Gear Rising

Hearts of Iron 4: Bash the Fash Bugaloo

For the Witcher, would you recommend starting with the first one?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s been on my watch list for a while, might be time to try that out.
CKII, EU4, and HoI4 are all very similar, right? I tried CKII for a short time, never really got too involved in it.
Banished I have played before and I like, but it's the kind of game I can only get in the mood to play every now and then.
Metal Gear Rising... mehhh, seems like it would get really repetitive really fast like how Dead Rising and DMC4 did for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rainbow 6 Siege, if you pick it up me and a few others over on the discord play it somewhat regularly.
And if you feel like playing a new game, I suggest Halcyon 6 Starbase commander
From your list Stardew Valley still is a good pick, as is Sorcery
Otherwise might be time to go back on a trip around the world in 80 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

For the Witcher, would you recommend starting with the first one?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s been on my watch list for a while, might be time to try that out.
CKII, EU4, and HoI4 are all very similar, right? I tried CKII for a short time, never really got too involved in it.
Banished I have played before and I like, but it's the kind of game I can only get in the mood to play every now and then.
Metal Gear Rising... mehhh, seems like it would get really repetitive really fast like how Dead Rising and DMC4 did for me.

Witcher 1's combat is dated in comparison to what it is today. It might be a good way to break your spoiling about mashing the attack button to just keep up an attack chain. You actually got to time it. It's touch and go for most people, some can't bare it while others can tolerate it; I'm in the later boat.

 

But the wonky Combat aside Witcher 1 has some brilliant writing. The whole series does really, and there's a big story emphasis on decisions you make having a heavy impact later. You may never know the impact of your decisions right away, but the game'll make damn sure to let you know when the impact happens. I have been told stories from friends of their friends calling them up to figure out what to do because they're so emotionally involved they're in tears trying to figure it out.

 

In comparison to Elder Scrolls, The Witcher (1, 2, and 3) is fucking art. It's masterfully done and having put them under my belt I'm pretty much refer to Bethesda writing as "It's shit".

 

Here's some writing samples:

 

Per STALKER, my biggest advice to you is: get mods. Clear Skies (the last game in the franchise, and a prequel) absolutely requires you get something like the STALKER Complete mod to make it functional, Clear Skies is also the black-sheep of the series and it's usually advised to play it last, or at least after the first game: Call of Chernobyl (which also needs to be modded with the Complete mod, if you don't want a hard time). Call of Pripyat, the sequel to SoC can be played without mods since it's pretty stable on its own, but that doesn't mean it's without its quirks.

 

As broken as that makes STALKER sound, it's part of the series charm. Not only can it be looked at from the perspective of being Dark Souls if Dark Souls were a FPS but the clearly Slavic programming makes them some of the quirkiest games you could ever play, and temperamental.

 

But the series does get a lot right. It's dark ambiance, a strong survival emphasis (you may not need to sleep, eat, or drink all the time; but that doesn't mean you won't because you'll still need to, also everything'll kill you so you're not allowed to rambo), and its often highly-praised AI makes it a strong title to get into.

 

It's also a meme factory.

 

CK2, EU4, and HoI4 are not alike. They're all grand strategy titles but they all have very different emphasises. CK2 is focused on personal politics in its relation to politics both external and internal (and shagging). EU4 is much more on the national politics level and colonization (or being terrified of Prussia), and HoI4 is focused more on military plays and strategy than trying to maintain political or personal alliances (it is focused strictly on WW2 and the years after after all).

 

Metal Gear Rising is a hack-and-slash game so you might find it repetitive. But it is a short game. It's also got the Kojima touch so its crazy as fuck. And it's also bred in with Platinum's own touch so it's an actually pretty fucking metal game. MGR also manages to save the awkward nerdiness of Raiden from the depths of campiness in Metal Gear Solid 2 and his CRAWLING IN MY SKIN cyborg self from MGS4. They manage to make him edgier in the game, but he's no longer a piece of shit.

 

You also get to fight a Brazilian ninja and super-charged Hulk US Senator, all to an intense soundtrack.

 

 

 

Also the Meme Man himself:

ccf.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess Maker 2 Refine

Saturday Morning RPG

The Stanley Parable

Starbound

The Turing Test

Papers, Please

Specs Ops: The feels Line

 

If you're not allergic to RPG Maker horror games, I can also recommend Ib, Mad Father and Corpse Party

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You and me both there. I'm stuck replaying the same old games these days. :applebelch:

 

6 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

For the Witcher, would you recommend starting with the first one?

Wholeheartedly no. Do not start from the first one unless you have nerves of steel. The combat mechanics in the first one are more akin to a single-player MMO (Think WoW). I only lasted about 30 minutes in before I gave up. The story isn't bad but when half the game uses some really wonky mechanics it just isn't fun. The second game is a pretty linear RPG but it's great overall. Third one from what I hear is amazing and they made the switch to an Open World RPG.

 

I can recommend these:

  • Freelancer (It's rather old) as one of the classics in the Space Sim games. Story isn't amazing but the gameplay and progression are quite fun. There are also several huge overhaul mods that bring it up to speed with modern hardware and improve the gameplay a lot. 
  • Mount and Blade Warband is also quite fun if you enjoy the medieval setting, huge battles and the madness that is politics and war in the 1200's.
  • Evil Genius is another I can recommend. It's a classic and very unique game as you play an 80's Bond style Villain building a secret lair and trying to conquer the world while the forces of good are out to get you.
  • Warframe, if you like fast-paced co-op action games and great fun with friends. It can be very rewarding, but at the same time there's a lot of RNG involved and the mechanics can be overwhelming to new people if there's no one to help you out. I've played it for about 4 years now, so feel free to poke me if you do try it out and have questions.
  • Sword of the Stars, another oldie but a goodie. It's akin to a turn-based Stellaris but with less politics. The game itself uses a turn-based system but battles themselves are in teal time. There's also a sequel, Swords of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter, but it has some serious mechanics changes over the old one.
  • Space Chem, as it's a very fun little puzzle game.
  • Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light are a pair of amazing post apocalyptic games set in the Metro of Moscow. The story in both of them is amazing and the mechanics are as well.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2 are also incredibly fun Turn-based games, even if they do suffer a bit at the hands of RNJesus.
  • ARMA 3 is also pretty fun with friends for a "serious" Military Sim.
  • Oh and I know it's not a video game but I can recommend Dungeons and Dragons, if you're interested in that kind of experience. It does however involve at least some amount of Roleplay, as it is a Roleplaying TTG.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about some great well crafted classics like:

*Super Mario World

*Super Metroid

*Metroid Zero Mission

*Super Mario All Stars

*Donkey Kong Countries 1 and 2

*Metroid fusion

*Another Metroid 2 Remake(AM2R)

*A Sonic the hedgehog game

*Final Fantasy 6 or 7

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount and Blade, both Warband and Napoleon, is a personal favourite of mine.

 

3 hours ago, AaronMk said:

CK2, EU4, and HoI4 are not alike. They're all grand strategy titles but they all have very different emphasises. CK2 is focused on personal politics in its relation to politics both external and internal (and shagging). EU4 is much more on the national politics level and colonization (or being terrified of Prussia), and HoI4 is focused more on military plays and strategy than trying to maintain political or personal alliances (it is focused strictly on WW2 and the years after after all).

Or you could cut the BS and play the real patrician's game, Victoria 2. A sort of midway point between Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, the emphasis in Vicky 2 is more on the economy (the game takes place during the Industrial Revolution after all, 1836-1936), though military and politics (both domestic and international) are given considerable attention, especially if you use mods such as HPM, as you strive to either carve out a global empire or keep the great powers at bay. Or both. The game features a fully modeled economic system that not even the current devs know how to modify - they got rid of the guy that made it. :hurrr: Among the "big four" Paradox Grandstrat games (EU, HOI, CK, Vic), Vicky 2 definitely has the highest learning curve, so prepare for a challenge if you do go with it. But the game is immensely satisfying when you get everything right.

 

This is the game where I managed to wipe out 14 million rebels over a 10-year battle as Tsarist Russia, after all.

 

EU4 and CK2 are fine games too (especially with mods) but Victoria 2 is, to me, a class above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some recommendations:

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, & 7

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors

PAYDAY 2

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2

20XX

Warhammer End Times: Vermintide

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Borderlands 1 & 2 and The Pre-Sequel

Killing Floor 2

Grim Dawn

Dungeon Fighters Online (PLEASE PLAY THIS ONE, I NEED SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH!!!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AaronMk said:

I'm pretty much refer to Bethesda writing as "It's shit".

I'll fight you on that one

10 hours ago, Frécinette said:

Princess Maker 2 Refine

Saturday Morning RPG

The Stanley Parable

Starbound

The Turing Test

Papers, Please

Specs Ops: The feels Line

 

If you're not allergic to RPG Maker horror games, I can also recommend Ib, Mad Father and Corpse Party

Princess Maker 2 Refine - Seems to be the same premise as Long Live the Queen, neato

Saturday Morning RPG - Oooh, I could get into this game.

The Stanley Parable - I've played every ending, such a good game.

Starbound - 79 hours and counting

The Turing Test - Puzzle game in space? Count me in.

Papers, Please - GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA

Spec Ops: The Line - Seems interesting.

Corpse Party - Played this on PSP

Mad Father - I'll watch this one

10 hours ago, Skyrazer said:
  • Freelancer (It's rather old) as one of the classics in the Space Sim games. Story isn't amazing but the gameplay and progression are quite fun. There are also several huge overhaul mods that bring it up to speed with modern hardware and improve the gameplay a lot. 
  • Mount and Blade Warband is also quite fun if you enjoy the medieval setting, huge battles and the madness that is politics and war in the 1200's.
  • Evil Genius is another I can recommend. It's a classic and very unique game as you play an 80's Bond style Villain building a secret lair and trying to conquer the world while the forces of good are out to get you.
  • Warframe, if you like fast-paced co-op action games and great fun with friends. It can be very rewarding, but at the same time there's a lot of RNG involved and the mechanics can be overwhelming to new people if there's no one to help you out. I've played it for about 4 years now, so feel free to poke me if you do try it out and have questions.
  • Sword of the Stars, another oldie but a goodie. It's akin to a turn-based Stellaris but with less politics. The game itself uses a turn-based system but battles themselves are in teal time. There's also a sequel, Swords of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter, but it has some serious mechanics changes over the old one.
  • Space Chem, as it's a very fun little puzzle game.
  • Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light are a pair of amazing post apocalyptic games set in the Metro of Moscow. The story in both of them is amazing and the mechanics are as well.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2 are also incredibly fun Turn-based games, even if they do suffer a bit at the hands of RNJesus.
  • ARMA 3 is also pretty fun with friends for a "serious" Military Sim.
  • Oh and I know it's not a video game but I can recommend Dungeons and Dragons, if you're interested in that kind of experience. It does however involve at least some amount of Roleplay, as it is a Roleplaying TTG.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Freelancer - Looks a little slow at start, I may give it an extended look.

Mount and Blade Warband - Seems like more of a multi-player experience.

Evil Genius - Seems interesting, I'll watch this one.

Warframe - Oh, please no, not another MMO, I already sink enough hours into ESO.

Sword of the Stars - Seems like it would be more fun with friends at a lan party kind of thing.

Space Chem - I've heard good things about this one, going on my list.

Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light - Played and beaten both.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2 - I have the first one, I didn't really get into it, the second one, I may take a look at.

ARMA 3 - I'll pass, I don't really like military sims.

Dungeons and Dragons -

VIEW SPOILER FOR MORE, THE THINGS BEING WONKY

 

I don't really feel like getting invested in a campaign right now.

[/spoiler]

7 hours ago, Steel Crescent said:

How about some great well crafted classics like:

*Super Mario World

*Super Metroid

*Metroid Zero Mission

*Super Mario All Stars

*Donkey Kong Countries 1 and 2

*Metroid fusion

*Another Metroid 2 Remake(AM2R)

*A Sonic the hedgehog game

*Final Fantasy 6 or 7

Growing up in a Nintendo family, I've played all of these except for Final Fantasy. I could never get invested in a FF game, and I wouldn't know where to start with the saga.

6 hours ago, Procellus said:

EU4 and CK2 are fine games too (especially with mods) but Victoria 2 is, to me, a class above.

I may have to take a second look at these games.

5 hours ago, Toki Zensekai said:

Here's some recommendations:

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, & 7

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors

PAYDAY 2

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2

20XX

Warhammer End Times: Vermintide

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Borderlands 1 & 2 and The Pre-Sequel

Killing Floor 2

Grim Dawn

Dungeon Fighters Online (PLEASE PLAY THIS ONE, I NEED SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH!!!)

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, & 7 - 4 was okay, I like 5, 6 was god awful, and I'm waiting a bit for 7.

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors - That's a really expensive bullethell game. Looks neato though.

PAYDAY 2 - I may have to actually play this at some point.

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 - Mehh, not in an FPS on-rails kind of mood either.

20XX - Online Megaman? On the list it goes.

Warhammer End Times: Vermintide - I'll watch this one

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - Doesn't interest me.

Borderlands 1 & 2 and The Pre-Sequel - I have these, and considered playing them, are they really that good?

Killing Floor 2 - I'm looking for more of a solo experience.

Grim Dawn - Diabloesque, I'll watch this one.

Dungeon Fighters Online - This one seems interesting, but has mixed reviews, why do you recommend it?

3 hours ago, LuigiFan45 said:

Play Paladins with me, boyo

I'll pass. If I want to play something like that I'll play Overwatch or TF2.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I'll fight you on that one.

 

 

Elder "We lost writing complexity after Morrowwind" Scrolls

Elder "What is complexity of world and true moral choice?" Scrolls

Fallout "It's like 3 but reversed" 4

Fallout "It's for the kids" 3

 

 

Contains spoilers:

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a very good trilogy with a hard SF, check mass effect. The first episode is little cheap (gameplay is tidier in the 2 and 3), but you keep your own scenario during the whole trilogy. Musics are very good, the scenario is fascinating and consistent, in my opinion, the best trilogy in PC.

(And have sex with ET)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Freelancer - Looks a little slow at start, I may give it an extended look.

Mount and Blade Warband - Seems like more of a multi-player experience.

XCOM 2 - I have the first one, I didn't really get into it, the second one, I may take a look at.

Borderlands 1 & 2 and The Pre-Sequel - I have these, and considered playing them, are they really that good?

PAYDAY 2 - I may have to actually play this at some point.

Well, Freelancer is quite dated by today's standards and as far as I'm aware not being sold anywhere anymore. The game is a bit slow at the start, yes, but it picks up later as there's an emphasis on you doing your own thing in the game's world.

At it's core all Mount and Blade games are almost purely Singe-player RPGs. There's a Multiplayer part in Warband, but it's just simple skirmish battles. The AI in the campaign is quite formidable and bad political decisions can throw things off whack for you and your faction or pave the way for you to start your own.

The second XCOM chucks a lot of the old one out and adds quite a bit, but both follow a similar formula. Though the second one really likes pressuring you with time limits and impending doom to build more urgency. (I'm really not a fan of time limits or being pressured into action. :applebelch:)

Borderlands games are all amazing, they get even better with friends as they're intended as a 4 player co-op and difficulty and loot will reflect that. But they're worth playing on your own too.

Payday 2 is quite fun and challenging to master, the soundtrack is also amazing. But honestly bogged down quite a bit by the ton of DLC it has, hence why I didn't add it to my list. I've put 1200 hours in it thus far and I still find it in me to occasionally boot it back up and do a heist or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only games I really play now a days are Oblivion and Fallout 3 modded and emulator games for gamecube. Much of the new games now don't really interest me. Maybe that's because of nostalgia. The FWE mod and the 20th century weapons mod for Fallout makes the game interesting to me. For the Dolphin emulator... eh there's a lot of gamecube stuff I haven't played. I played Custom Robo recently I guess (that game's story was weird).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing quite a bit of For Honor currently. The combat is certainly one you have to work towards mastering and there is some cheesiness *cough*guardbreakspam*cough cough* but it's still pretty fun. And while some have debated the idea that it's pay2win because you can purchase in game currency with real money to help you get better gear and unlock all the feats (think perks/scorestreak) for all the heroes, unless you know what you're doing, having the best gear is not going to help at all.

 

Then there is Halo Wars 2 which for people like me who pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition, get to play it 5 days early, and I have to say it is really fun. And the campaign is pretty good too. 

 

Well those are my two cents, hope I could help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Winter Rose said:

The only games I really play now a days are Oblivion and Fallout 3 modded and emulator games for gamecube. Much of the new games now don't really interest me. Maybe that's because of nostalgia. The FWE mod and the 20th century weapons mod for Fallout makes the game interesting to me. For the Dolphin emulator... eh there's a lot of gamecube stuff I haven't played. I played Custom Robo recently I guess (that game's story was weird).

Bethesda+Mods 4ever <3

23 minutes ago, a100bronies said:

I've been playing quite a bit of For Honor currently. The combat is certainly one you have to work towards mastering and there is some cheesiness *cough*guardbreakspam*cough cough* but it's still pretty fun. And while some have debated the idea that it's pay2win because you can purchase in game currency with real money to help you get better gear and unlock all the feats (think perks/scorestreak) for all the heroes, unless you know what you're doing, having the best gear is not going to help at all.

 

Then there is Halo Wars 2 which for people like me who pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition, get to play it 5 days early, and I have to say it is really fun. And the campaign is pretty good too. 

 

Well those are my two cents, hope I could help.

For Honor... meh, if it really is pay to win, I'll pass on that.

I played a VERY minute amount of Halo Wars 1, but not much.

 

Also, I found a game to play in the meantime.

Watch_Dogs 2 is actually pretty good.
pls don't hate me <3

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Bethesda+Mods 4ever <3

For Honor... meh, if it really is pay to win, I'll pass on that.

I played a VERY minute amount of Halo Wars 1, but not much.

 

Also, I found a game to play in the meantime.

Watch_Dogs 2 is actually pretty good.
pls don't hate me <3

But, like I said, it really doesn't feel pay to win. I think people just over reacted initially without first realizing that combat experience takes priority number 1. 

 

And no hate. I personally can't get into it. IMO they tried way to hard with the main character to make him more interesting than Pierce was in WD1 to the point where the guy along with the rest of the protagonist cast is just cringe worthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, a100bronies said:

to the point where the guy along with the rest of the protagonist cast is just cringe worthy.

That's what makes it so entertaining, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it makes it seems like the game doesn't take itself seriously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nova S. Aurora said:

That's what makes it so entertaining, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it makes it seems like the game doesn't take itself seriously.

I think it was intentional, and I think they were trying to go for a less serious tone, but thats what threw me off. I was expecting "better" characters (personally, I liked Aiden Pierce. Wasn't a perfect character, but I liked him none the less.) but I was also expecting the same serious kind of tone that the first one had.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, & 7 - 4 was okay, I like 5, 6 was god awful, and I'm waiting a bit for 7.

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviors - That's a really expensive bullethell game. Looks neato though.

PAYDAY 2 - I may have to actually play this at some point.

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 - Mehh, not in an FPS on-rails kind of mood either.

20XX - Online Megaman? On the list it goes.

Warhammer End Times: Vermintide - I'll watch this one

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - Doesn't interest me.

Borderlands 1 & 2 and The Pre-Sequel - I have these, and considered playing them, are they really that good?

Killing Floor 2 - I'm looking for more of a solo experience.

Grim Dawn - Diabloesque, I'll watch this one.

Dungeon Fighters Online - This one seems interesting, but has mixed reviews, why do you recommend it?

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 are not On-rail shooters, it's a full fledge FPS that combines both gun and sword play, and does it very well I might add.

The Borderlands series is fantastic, combining both FPS and RPG elements into the game, with a rather interesting RNG loot system that takes many gun parts and randomizes them together to create very interesting guns of various types. Borderlands 2 and The Pre-sequel took the best parts of 1 and improved on them significantly, but if you haven't played them, definitely start with the first game because 2 and Pre-Sequel's story play off of the first significantly.

As for Dungeon Fighters Online, it's hard to explain why I recommend this one, but it has a lot of really good 2D beat'em'up action with a nice variety of classes to play as. For me, I play the gunners, and here's a video of what they can do:

Also if you do play PAYDAY 2, let me know. I, with a great deal of confidence, consider myself to be one of the best players of PAYDAY 2 and know just about everything there is to it and can help you with starting out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now