Number95

Another MLP:FIM review thread

Heh cool work so far. Mind if I ask about few points you have made? (for the last two entries, might do it for the future posts too)

Winter Wrap up (response)

•  Is it possible that Mayor Mare simply delegated her duties to several ponies instead of taking charge. Like leaving AJ and Dash in charge of planting team and weather team? I could be wrong but also I think Amethyst Star/Sparkler in Slice of Life comments that she used to be in charge of Wrap Up till Twilight took over. Though in the episode she is seen presumably leading the animal team.
  • About no magic can we just pretend Earth Ponies used lassos on clouds? Makes no sense but is hilarious. As for strength considering that, Rarity could haul Tom and tiny Sweetie could carry absurd camping gear, think we can assume that any pony is strong depending of plot. Or that Sweetie can beat Twilight.  
  •  It could be that Twilight wasn't assigned the role either because at that time she was still new comer and not part of the town community (they can be rather close knit). Or it is voluntary and she was late.

Call of the Cutie (response)

• Ponies by nature are not bright. The only reason I can think of Cheerliee allowing Diamond to do what she does is fear of her parents withdrawing money from school. As for AJ...I'll pretend that never happened ^^
  • Well I could be wrong but isn't getting a cutie mark kinda a sign of maturity. So DT is basically mocking AB because she is not a teen yet. As for celebrating well I guess ponies celebrate when one of their own when pony matures enough to know what they are best at and can now join the community. For attending party I go back to my previous statement that ponies are dumb and attracted to pretty things. 
  • Twist is next Starlight Glimmer!
  • Yeah Sweetie reveal that she was Rarity's sister was surprising. However I am not surprised Rarity and AJ not having their lil sisters meet each other. Honestly that and their reaction to each other during sleepover suggests that they weren't friends until Twilight came to town. That is my assumption at least.  
  • AJ was forgiving because there is an apple on AB's cutie mark. Or else the prophets that name ponies would be fired!
  • DT was most likely waiting to reveal her mark as grand finale. Would anyone be surprised?
  • Cheerliee's mark is simple you see.. you are asking too many questions and you are danger to the Equestria. Prepare to be sent to the moon.  

Anyway that was nice trip down the memory lane. Ponies have sure grown since back then.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2017 at 3:41 PM, Cinder Vel said:

Heh cool work so far. Mind if I ask about few points you have made? (for the last two entries, might do it for the future posts too)

Feel free to respond to any comment I make about the episodes. You can ask about previous ones if you like.

Winter Wrap up (response)

•  Is it possible that Mayor Mare simply delegated her duties to several ponies instead of taking charge. Like leaving AJ and Dash in charge of planting team and weather team? I could be wrong but also I think Amethyst Star/Sparkler in Slice of Life comments that she used to be in charge of Wrap Up till Twilight took over. Though in the episode she is seen presumably leading the animal team.
  • About no magic can we just pretend Earth Ponies used lassos on clouds? Makes no sense but is hilarious. As for strength considering that, Rarity could haul Tom and tiny Sweetie could carry absurd camping gear, think we can assume that any pony is strong depending of plot. Or that Sweetie can beat Twilight.  
  •  It could be that Twilight wasn't assigned the role either because at that time she was still new comer and not part of the town community (they can be rather close knit). Or it is voluntary and she was late
  • That's also possible, but at the same time, that question isn't answered. We aren't shown what happens behind the scenes. Also, if the Winter Wrap Up has been going poorly for the past few years, there should be attempts to change it. So it doesn't look good on any of the Ponyville "leaders" if spring is still coming late. I'll say that this is hardly the biggest flaw of the episode, though.
  • Only Pegasus Ponies have been shown with the ability to interact with the clouds. And now that you bring up the other examples, it looks like like the physical strength of ponies can be inconsistent depending on the episode, so Earth Ponies don't necessarily have more physical strength than the other 2. I've always wondered what Earth Ponies had because they're at an apparent disadvantage. I guess they're better with crops? But Twilight could complete AJ's applebucking task faster. So this is still up in the air.

Call of the Cutie (response)

• Ponies by nature are not bright. The only reason I can think of Cheerliee allowing Diamond to do what she does is fear of her parents withdrawing money from school. As for AJ...I'll pretend that never happened ^^
  • Well I could be wrong but isn't getting a cutie mark kinda a sign of maturity. So DT is basically mocking AB because she is not a teen yet. As for celebrating well I guess ponies celebrate when one of their own when pony matures enough to know what they are best at and can now join the community. For attending party I go back to my previous statement that ponies are dumb and attracted to pretty things. 
  • Twist is next Starlight Glimmer!
  • Yeah Sweetie reveal that she was Rarity's sister was surprising. However I am not surprised Rarity and AJ not having their lil sisters meet each other. Honestly that and their reaction to each other during sleepover suggests that they weren't friends until Twilight came to town. That is my assumption at least.  
  • AJ was forgiving because there is an apple on AB's cutie mark. Or else the prophets that name ponies would be fired!
  • DT was most likely waiting to reveal her mark as grand finale. Would anyone be surprised?
  • Cheerliee's mark is simple you see.. you are asking too many questions and you are danger to the Equestria. Prepare to be sent to the moon.
  • I think "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" said that DT's mother had a high position in the educational system, so this is indirect trouble for Cheerilee. The only problem is that this came up after a long time, so Cheerilee had to seem completely oblivious. And DT seemed to be a jerk for no apparent reason in other episodes, but I'll get to those in time.
  • DT wasn't very mature about this whole matter, then.
  • I'm not a Starlight fan, but that's one way to look at it. However, Twist is definitely handling her situation better.
  • That's what I think, too. I'm not too sure if my comments were clear on that. "Look Before You Sleep" suggests that the two aren't that close, so they wouldn't know that much about the other. And I doubt the topic of younger sisters would need to come up between them.
  • I forgot that AB's cutie mark does indeed have an apple. I suppose I meant that AB's special talent isn't directly related to apples like the rest of her family.
  • That's possible, but I doubt many ponies will be impressed.
  • There's been other episodes that went into the interpretation of cutie marks. And I didn't remember this episode also doing that, so I just had some random thoughts.
    • The "Other Stuff" section is more of a random thought section.

Fall Weather Friends

Or, “The Ashleigh Ball episode”.

A fall-themed episode after a winter-themed one? Makes sense to me.

But I’m sure this one is first chronologically because that would mean over a year has passed since Twilight moved to Ponyville.

Another feud-esque episode like “Look Before You Sleep”, but that one didn’t have much to say. However, this episode fares much better with the opposing characters.

Good

• Being focused on AJ and RD, we actually get to see other sides and aspects of them through their perspectives and interactions. Their buttons are pushed, and we also see a bit of what makes them tick.
    • Rainbow Dash has an ego, but in this episode, she shows some confidence issues which can explain her large ego. When AJ got a solid score even with a screw-up in the first Iron Pony contest, RD was nervous. She also loves winning and will do anything for a victory, though I don’t know how she would feel if others think she’s fraud, but this part isn’t important. Thus, she doesn’t take losing too well, which she even says herself in the beginning. Interestingly, after RD makes her move, she compliments AJ. This is a far cry from her other comments, even in this episode, so this compliment most likely isn’t genuine or not completely, at least. Since she doesn’t like losing, she’s definitely trying to cushion the blow if things don’t turn out well.
      • She blows a raspberry at least once before she even started using her wings. RD was confident about winning after her initial worries disappeared. And she does it again during the race.
    • AJ is also competitive and again confirms confidence in her abilities, but she prefers a fair game and doesn’t mind losing. However, she doesn’t tolerate cheating and even tries to go with it at first. If pushed far enough, she will even cheat as well to try and punish the other cheater.
      • Twilight says AJ would never cheat, at least under normal circumstances. But AJ was definitely sick of RD’s bullshit.  
    • We even see how they react to setbacks when they both trip in the Running of the Leaves.
      • Both thought the other tripped them, but AJ was willing to accept her mistake after it was pointed out. RD instead just wants to find a reason to cheat so she could win, or at least beat AJ.
    • They even directly attack the other just to get ahead. Just shows how serious they were about winning.
  • Twilight wanting to race as well is a good touch. She’s new to Ponyville and wants to experience more of it, including this special event.
    • Getting 5th place is also a good touch because even though Twilight may have gotten pointers from her books, they’re not substitutes for actual physical abilities. And she was even able to beat her dissenters, and Twilight’s comment is very appropriate.
    • RD mocking Twilight is no surprise, but AJ joining in is strange. Then again, Twilight isn’t a confirmed physical pony like the Ashleigh Ball ponies, so AJ could just think that Twilight wanting to race is outrageous.
  • Pinkie Pie and Spike make some funny commentaries. I always found Pinkie’s offer to be a pleasant move since Spike was very interested in reporting the event. Spike was more into the actual race, and Pinkie unsurprisingly makes strange comments due to her whimsical nature. Spike’s reactions are also appropriate.
    • Amusingly, Pinkie even excitedly tells AJ and RD that they were both in last place.
  • I suppose seeing more of the ponies attempting to control the weather, or seasonal change in this case, is a worth mentioning as well since its importance has been emphasized at least a few times before. “Winter Wrap Up” came just a short while ago and did the same.

Bad

• Rainbow Dash was blatantly cheating during the Iron Pony competition. Flight and wings may be inherent to her, and disallowing the use of them was never directly stated, but RD uses her wings were in competitions that definitely weren’t supposed to make use of them.
    • She lifts herself up with the last push-up with help from her wings? No pony noticed or cared about the wing movement.
    • She clearly headed to a spot short of AJ’s in the jumping competition, and she clearly flapped her wings to move forward. Even RD’s movement at that time hardly looks like the end of a jump.
    • I have no idea what the contest with the chicks was supposed to compare. How well can they control their movements? AJ wasn’t paying attention to her movements or the birds.
    • Finally, she was clearly LIFTING Applejack off the ground during the tug-of-war. Applejack falls into the mud instead of being pulled into it. Even Twilight, who was judging, didn’t give a crap.
  • I keep wondering what an Earth Pony has over a unicorns or a pegasus. The latter two on the surface seem to be “Earth Pony with an additional ability”. If the Iron Pony event was anything to go by, AJ and RD are physical equals on the ground. But AJ failed to gain any more points after RD uses her wings, implying that a pegasus can be capable of much more than an Earth Pony with major help from the wings. It’s just weird seeing a species that appear inferior to the other two, and no one seems to notice or care.

Other Stuff

• Only two ponies not focused on making the leaves fall and there’s still a bunch left? Maybe AJ and RD stomp the ground harder than usual ponies when running.
  • I’m sure AJ using the balloon to get back on the race is also cheating. Then again, she was already in the mood to do so since RD struck her earlier, but why did Pinkie and Spike agree to this? I guess seeing who gets first place isn’t the point, but I’m sure they would’ve wanted Applejack to run through some more trees to get more leaves falling.
  • How did AJ not notice that there were no trees when she was running through the mountains?
  • I don’t know if this was intentional from the animators, but AJ and RD can be seen going for last. After their struggle at a mountain, the other ponies including Twilight pass them, and we never see these two passing anyone else after.
  • Celestia makes a short appearance at the end. And she says she likes the fall season. Such useful information.

Conclusion

Quite a fun episode, and one of the better ones so far in my opinion. We see two big egos clashing, with one less restrained than the other, and they really get on each other’s nerves and how the actions of one affects the other. Really, the dynamic between RD and AJ makes the episode.

Suited For Success

Already another episode with a catchy song, but I like “Winter Wrap Up” better for being a grander piece.

Also, we finally get the first good Rarity episode.

Good

• Rarity hasn’t gotten too much spotlight, and some of her previous screentime simply showed her concerned only about looking good (Boast Busters, Dragonshy, Bridle Gossip). Her previous outing (Look Before You Sleep) wasn’t also very good as we didn’t learn much about Rarity. This episode does much better, and she gets to act out her element.
    • She acts generous as she takes uses plenty of her time to make dresses for her friends, and she’s also offering them for free. She doesn’t finish her dress after doing the others and was excited to show her friends the dresses. Then she still delays the making of her own dress to tailor to her friends’ desires. Good ways of showing that Rarity cares a lot about her friends as well as her passion. Hell, it isn’t unreasonable to think that she also wanted her friends to look as good as possible for something as major as the gala.
    • Even though she personally didn’t like the second round of dresses, she cared more about her friends’ satisfaction than her own.
    • She’s an artist and makes things for others. Artists need to be able to take criticism and disappointment since they can’t appeal to everyone, and I’d like to think she’s been through that kind of situation which helped improve her design skills. When she saw her friends being disappointed, she took it. And those being her friends, she was determined to satisfy them.
    • The episode shows her limit in taking criticism which is a bunch of other ponies deriding her efforts (which wouldn’t be actual criticism, but whatever).
  • The Mane 5 even decide to help make Rarity’s dress after she locks herself up. They knew they messed up, and they wanted to make up for it. So that’s a good sign of friendship.
  • There’s another major musical number with “Art of the Dress”. First, she sings about how she works on each individual dress and her thought process behind them.
    • But the reprise has more meaning than the original outing.
    • “Don't you know the client's always right?”
    • This episode manages to prove otherwise, at least when it comes to catering to others. I have some issues with this which I’ll get to later, but shooting that idea down was still a good move.
    • The reprise (lyrics and scenes) also shows Rarity’s frustrations with certain kinds of clients.
      • Twilight is too specific with her design choices. I still think constellations can work on a dress, but I don’t know what else she was thinking.
      • Pinkie and AJ don’t put much actual thought into their dresses, but Pinkie also just puts whatever she thinks looks good.
      • Rainbow Dash has no idea what she wants outside of wanting it to look “cool”. Giving your definition of “cool” would’ve been helpful, Dash.
      • Fluttershy thinks she knows design and fashion when she actually doesn’t know as much as she thinks.
  • The moral Rarity learned is a good one. It’s impossible to satisfy everyone simply because there’s too many people and thus too many kinds of personal preferences. I mention this because even though there are some things about the show I hate, there’s definitely others that like them or at least don’t mind, and vice versa.
  • Hoity Toity is worth a mention. Canterlot residents tend to be snobbish for whatever reason, and Hoity Toity shows a degree of this as well. However, he was willing to give Rarity another chance and give sincere compliments when impressed. It’s not a huge plus, but it’s something since we won’t see much of Canterlot or its citizens even after 6 seasons.

Bad

• The parallel with product-making or working in the creative industry is solid and presents potential problems that creators have to deal with, but there are some flaws with the execution. This subtext is hard to ignore given the positions and characters in the episode, but it doesn’t completely fit due to the different circumstances.
    • They didn’t like their dresses, or according to Twilight, “they're just not what [they] had in mind.” So what did they plan to wear to the gala?
    • According to RD, her dress was “just not as cool as [she] was imagining.” This means she didn’t like the design, at least not very much. Since these ponies were dissatisfied, the dresses did not fit their tastes. We aren’t given an actual reason why they dislike Rarity’s choices, but their own preferences come into play since Rarity goes with them in the second round. One thing the episode doesn’t play with much is that even though the new dresses look like crap, they didn’t look like crap to their respective “creators”.
    • Twilight, after Rarity’s breakdown, goes on to say that the first round of dresses were perfect. The ponies only believe this because of reactions to the second round from other ponies, so this change of heart doesn’t seem genuine.
    • There’s the saying, “The customer is always right.” This episode can and does prove the statement false, but it was within the wrong circumstances. The Mane 5 were never trying to curb Rarity’s artistic choices except for their own dresses. They weren’t advertising their outfits during the fashion show so much as they were advertising Rarity. The initial fashion show was the closest the episode came to suggest otherwise, but the Mane 5 wanted to wear the newer dresses simply because they liked those better.
    • Maybe the creative team didn’t want to make it too obvious or heavy-handed, but there were more than enough differences in the situation that the whole story doesn’t quite make sense.
    • The Mane 5 could’ve come to the realization themselves. After trying it on themselves and looking at each other, they see how absurd they all look. They can compare these new outfits to the old ones, and they notice things about the old dresses that they didn’t see before. This makes their appreciation of the old dresses more genuine while still keeping the “problematic client” element.
    • Still, the episode was right in showing that the expert does know what they're doing. And one of the main points of the episode was that Rarity made them the dresses from the bottom of her heart, so her friends should’ve been more thankful about her gesture and intention.
  • Minor compared to the previous point, Fluttershy knows a thing or two about fashion or sewing since she makes critiques on her dress and doesn’t make random suggestions like the others. Fine. Then after the changes to her dress, it turns out no one else likes it. Also fine because she isn’t a designer like Rarity. But she’s then able to help make a dress that genuinely impresses Rarity. Where did that come from? Fluttershy said that “followed [Rarity’s] brilliant design”, but the episode even shows that being able to critique doesn’t mean actual experience and skill, so this still doesn’t make sense to me.

Other Stuff

• Ponies wearing dresses still looks weird, and that’s probably because horses (even ponies) don’t need to wear clothes.
  • I’m surprised that Spike didn’t denounce the outfits.
  • Twilight’s initial dress of choice has buttons. They won’t be a problem for a unicorn, but I don’t know how (or if) the other two species could work with buttons.
  • I don’t know much about fashion shows, but those ugly dresses could work if the show had the appropriate theme.

Conclusion

A solid episode that finally focuses on Rarity’s fashionista trait and her other positive attributes. I do have a problem with part of the story, and I’m surprised at how long that is, but I suppose I had to explain myself in detail.

Next fresh batch for the slaughter commenting! Anyway I didn't comment on older entries to avoid creating the Great Wall of EqD. No point without illegal migrants.

Also I am commenting on other stuff because those are some amusing thoughts. As for Good stuff well I agree with what you say for the most time. Maybe when I see something that I strongly disagree with i'll comment. Make no mistake though I love all those episodes, I just find it fun to poke holes in crazy stuff.

Fall Weather Friends (response)

See this episodes show something that is missing. Two main characters clashing and then dealing with the issue. These days we just have a problem and some pony is sent to fix it or a pony makes a problem and fixes it.

Bad

• Well it would seem ponies have no racism by deliberately being oblivious to the differences. Yeah I can't come up with logical or illogical solution to excuse Dash's performance. 
  • Ah the Earth Pony dilemma. Wars have been fought over that. Some say it is super strength and yet in this episode we see Dash being an equal. And future episodes would show some really crazy feats of strength from unicorns and pegasi. So It can't be strength and even it was it isn't fitting abilities pegasi and unicorns have who use their abilities to keep the nature flowing with weather manipulation and movement of the celestial objects (which alicorns do now). So are Earth Ponies then better at growing food? It would be more logical and Twilight was only better at picking apples and not actually growing them. But then where does this leave non farmer earth ponies? We will never know as episodes aren't really consistent.       

Other Stuff

• Maybe it is just a formality or others forgot to turn on "earth pony magic". Or they forgot what was the ponit of the race as they were making that part of the episode.
  • I guess Pinkie just loves helping friends and rules be damned.
  • AJ can be one of two things. She can either be the only sane pony or very dumb. Or both in the season 6. I love her and I do think ponies are naturally lil dumb creatures but she sometimes pushes it. 
  • Hey I didn't noticed that. Cool!
  • Princess of Exposition has only one purpose in this show. Can you guess what?

Suited For Success

The episode that made me appreciate Rarity and her voice. Honestly darling I simply adore that Mid-Atlantic accent of hers. The rest of the cast were not that good though.

Bad

• Not exactly related to your point but I do not like how all five of them had to be same problem. Maybe if episode focused in just Twilight being too detailed oriented or Dash being impossible to work with as she refuses to say what she thinks or Pinkie being Pinkie. I mean AJ should be more humble and Flutters actually felt odd. More on Flutters with next point. Oh also I do not know how to make second row of bullet list but just wanted to say that Twilight was just saying that dresses were perfect to make Rarity feel better. We all have lied at some point to cheer up someone.
  • Think someone long ago actually analyzed what Fluttershy was saying and it didn't actually make sense. So the dress didn't end up looking good because Fluttershy didn't make sense in the first place. This raises a question of "why would she do this".

Other Stuff

• You think that is weird? Better ask how does Rarity stay in business selling clothes in the nudist town since Ponyville ponies are least likely to wear something. Rarity not only stays in business, she expands it. But as for why they wear, it must be so they would express their individuality more (and so there would be more unique BC ponies), same reason why modern fashion was invented when humans used to have much more limited wardrobe.
  • Wait was Spike in the episode? I forgot. Guess he was conveniently muted so the plot would exist.
  • After six seasons of seeing what ponies do with hooves I wouldn't be surprised they can handle buttons. Like that one time AJ was holding three sticks of marshmallows over fire with one hoof. Or Octavia playing cello. 
  • Rarity managed to make literal hotel interior work as fashion show. Pony fashion sense is weirder than human one.

Well good show, good show my friend. Man I sure love remember these olden episodes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Next fresh batch for the slaughter commenting! Anyway I didn't comment on older entries to avoid creating the Great Wall of EqD. No point without illegal migrants.

Also I am commenting on other stuff because those are some amusing thoughts. As for Good stuff well I agree with what you say for the most time. Maybe when I see something that I strongly disagree with i'll comment. Make no mistake though I love all those episodes, I just find it fun to poke holes in crazy stuff.

There's always multi-posting, as there doesn't seem to be a rule against that. I don't mind if you have something else to add. If there's something else you liked about an episode, I think it's worth mentioning even if I don't agree. But overall, do as you wish. And one of the points of the "other stuff" section is to point out "holes" if I see them.

Fall Weather Friends (response)

See this episodes show something that is missing. Two main characters clashing and then dealing with the issue. These days we just have a problem and some pony is sent to fix it or a pony makes a problem and fixes it.

Bad

• Well it would seem ponies have no racism by deliberately being oblivious to the differences. Yeah I can't come up with logical or illogical solution to excuse Dash's performance. 
  • Ah the Earth Pony dilemma. Wars have been fought over that. Some say it is super strength and yet in this episode we see Dash being an equal. And future episodes would show some really crazy feats of strength from unicorns and pegasi. So It can't be strength and even it was it isn't fitting abilities pegasi and unicorns have who use their abilities to keep the nature flowing with weather manipulation and movement of the celestial objects (which alicorns do now). So are Earth Ponies then better at growing food? It would be more logical and Twilight was only better at picking apples and not actually growing them. But then where does this leave non farmer earth ponies? We will never know as episodes aren't really consistent.       

Other Stuff

• Maybe it is just a formality or others forgot to turn on "earth pony magic". Or they forgot what was the ponit of the race as they were making that part of the episode.
  • I guess Pinkie just loves helping friends and rules be damned.
  • AJ can be one of two things. She can either be the only sane pony or very dumb. Or both in the season 6. I love her and I do think ponies are naturally lil dumb creatures but she sometimes pushes it. 
  • Hey I didn't noticed that. Cool!
  • Princess of Exposition has only one purpose in this show. Can you guess what?

I think one of the reasons "Fall Weather Friends" works so well for me is because this clash came naturally from the respective ponies' personalities. It's been a while since I've looked at the more recent episodes, so I don't have too much to say about those. Then again, season 6 was a noticeable step down from previous seasons.

• It is a little unfortunate that there hasn't been too much exploration on the Earth Ponies. Pegasus and unicorns in comparison have extraordinary abilities. Being able to fly without assistance, control thunderclouds and storms, and freely move around on clouds aren't available to Earth or Unicorn ponies. And Earth Ponies and Pegasi can't cast spells. Maybe Earth Ponies are better with "earthly" activities like farming like you said. But what's to stop a pegasus or unicorn from being effective farmers? Fluttershy is a pegasus, and she's also good with animals. And as you said, non-farmer Earth Ponies are still a mystery. We could try to judge Pinkie Pie, and someone will no doubt say that she doesn't follow conventional rules, but this is a trait exclusive to her and doesn't usually have a dramatic impact on the stories.
  • It's also unfortunate that Princess Celestia is given the role she has. Despite being an important figure in-universe, she's probably less active than a background pony.

Suited For Success

The episode that made me appreciate Rarity and her voice. Honestly darling I simply adore that Mid-Atlantic accent of hers. The rest of the cast were not that good though.

Bad

• Not exactly related to your point but I do not like how all five of them had to be same problem. Maybe if episode focused in just Twilight being too detailed oriented or Dash being impossible to work with as she refuses to say what she thinks or Pinkie being Pinkie. I mean AJ should be more humble and Flutters actually felt odd. More on Flutters with next point. Oh also I do not know how to make second row of bullet list but just wanted to say that Twilight was just saying that dresses were perfect to make Rarity feel better. We all have lied at some point to cheer up someone.
  • Think someone long ago actually analyzed what Fluttershy was saying and it didn't actually make sense. So the dress didn't end up looking good because Fluttershy didn't make sense in the first place. This raises a question of "why would she do this".

Other Stuff

• You think that is weird? Better ask how does Rarity stay in business selling clothes in the nudist town since Ponyville ponies are least likely to wear something. Rarity not only stays in business, she expands it. But as for why they wear, it must be so they would express their individuality more (and so there would be more unique BC ponies), same reason why modern fashion was invented when humans used to have much more limited wardrobe.
  • Wait was Spike in the episode? I forgot. Guess he was conveniently muted so the plot would exist.
  • After six seasons of seeing what ponies do with hooves I wouldn't be surprised they can handle buttons. Like that one time AJ was holding three sticks of marshmallows over fire with one hoof. Or Octavia playing cello. 
  • Rarity managed to make literal hotel interior work as fashion show. Pony fashion sense is weirder than human one.

Well good show, good show my friend. Man I sure love remember these olden episodes.

Bad

• Press Tab to make an indented bullet point below. And press Enter to go back to the previous bullet format. As for Twilight, I suppose you make a fair point, but I'm still not big on the insincerity.
  • I think the problems each of the 5 represented were different enough, though AJ's is still a bit vague from not having too much screentime during the song.
  • I don't quite understand what you mean about Fluttershy.

Other Stuff

• That's also a good point, and I don't know how I didn't think of that. I think the Canterlot residents have plenty that wear clothes, and she said in the premiere that she gets clients from that area. Still, ponies for the most part don't wear clothes, so I have to wonder how one could sustain a business selling clothes when there isn't a huge demand for them. Or maybe Canterlot residents are too rich.
  • That's also true. We even saw ponies holding shovels with their hooves in "Winter Wrap Up", but the buttons still crossed my mind for whatever reason.

These old episodes do have their charm. Personally, I was hoping they'd do something huge since it had potential, so there's a bit of nostalgia for me. Unfortunately, they haven't, and my interest has waned to a degree. I still enjoy the slice-of-life stuff, but I don't think they do well with the high-stakes stories that are usually attached to the beginning or end of a season.

Edited by Number539

I would need to rewatch also episode to remember the exact parts that I liked or disliked that were not mentioned. Will do it next time I guess. I am still fining my voice as it were.

Well about Fluttershy I mean the reason she did not like the dress didn't actually make sense. It basically tailoring equivalent of techno-bable. So if we take her seriously she is complaining for the sake of complaining and that is odd coming from a pony that is too scared to say anything remotely mean. It served more as a gag really.Then again I am not a tailor and was ages ago since I saw that information.   

And AJ just wanted functionality over appearance and thus comically missing the point of fashion. I still think that the plot is better when less characters are involved in the conflict due to the short time of the episodes so you can't fit all six characters and have to use a bit of flanderized versions. That being said it is not always the case.

Also I do not really see season 6 as step down. Different than early season sure but not all changes were bad as some where good. Though plenty are matter of preference. The only thing I really dislike is increase of exposition and the new directionless Twilight. And perhaps adding Starlight as another major character since I think even six is too much work to handle. I do like Starlight but she comes at the cost of others, especially Twilight (though Twilight suffered before Starlight). 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 2:11 AM, Cinder Vel said:

I would need to rewatch also episode to remember the exact parts that I liked or disliked that were not mentioned. Will do it next time I guess. I am still fining my voice as it were.

Well about Fluttershy I mean the reason she did not like the dress didn't actually make sense. It basically tailoring equivalent of techno-bable. So if we take her seriously she is complaining for the sake of complaining and that is odd coming from a pony that is too scared to say anything remotely mean. It served more as a gag really.Then again I am not a tailor and was ages ago since I saw that information.   

And AJ just wanted functionality over appearance and thus comically missing the point of fashion. I still think that the plot is better when less characters are involved in the conflict due to the short time of the episodes so you can't fit all six characters and have to use a bit of flanderized versions. That being said it is not always the case.

Also I do not really see season 6 as step down. Different than early season sure but not all changes were bad as some where good. Though plenty are matter of preference. The only thing I really dislike is increase of exposition and the new directionless Twilight. And perhaps adding Starlight as another major character since I think even six is too much work to handle. I do like Starlight but she comes at the cost of others, especially Twilight (though Twilight suffered before Starlight). 

I'm not a fashion or clothing expert, so I don't know what exactly Fluttershy said, but it sounded like she was dissatisfied with various parts of her outfit or the design. She was also hesitant about expressing her opinion, but Rarity pushed her into doing so.

Actually, I'm not even sure what AJ wanted with her outfit. It's literally a bunch of things thrown together without rhyme or reason. I don't know what an outfit like that would be needed for, and she already does her work naked. It also looks so ridiculous I have to wonder what Applejack was thinking.

When I watched season 6, I mostly took away nothing and was left without much to comment on. I'm rewatching the show little by little, so maybe that might change when I get there.

Feeling Pinkie Keen

We now arrive at my least favorite episode so far. This might even be my least favorite episode of the season, but I need a refresher on 11 more episodes before that declaration can hold. It’s not because of the moral or its delivery because the intention of the episode was clear before that point.

Pinkie’s ability makes no sense, but it works. Thus, some things don’t make sense, but it’s there anyways. Too bad they ignore that people like having things make sense and finding explanations, so if there’s something weird, they’ll keep looking. Or they might have their own explanations. But this stuff is neither here nor there.

As for the episode, I mostly think the Pinkie Sense is fucking stupid even when taking Pinkie into consideration.

Good

• I like slapstick humor. Admittedly, I’m not good at explaining why. Maybe it’s because characters get into ridiculous situations like taking hits that should kill them, and having a light-hearted tone instead of a dark or serious one helps. Unlike stand-up comedy which is involves hearing and words sometimes being misheard, slapstick is visual.
    • Twilight gets a variety including objects getting dropped on her head or falling down into a ditch and AJ’s cellar. I don’t think we get more of this kind of comedy in the show, but that’s fine since that’s not the point of the show. Even with this slapstick, I do have a problem with it.
  • For whatever reason, I always liked the scene where Spike jumps onto Fluttershy. I’m guessing it’s because he’s always been closely associated with Twilight up to this point, so seeing that he cares about another pony was a good moment.
  • Overall, the episode didn’t have much I liked, so these two points are small.

Bad

• I mentioned before that earlier episodes were more focused on telling the moral than telling a story. This is definitely the case here and the biggest flaw of the episode.
    • Twilight denies the Pinkie Sense. She first tries to make sense of it but keeps hitting a wall. Rinse and repeat. Pinkie was a major character in this episode, but she did nothing of true importance. The closest to a possibly meaningful line from her are all variations of the statement, “You just have to believe it”. That’s it. A generic statement. We get nothing else from Pinkie, and she doesn’t even try to explain her thoughts.
      • “You don't believe because you don't understand.”
        • Doesn’t understand what, exactly?
    • I was going to say it does nothing with Twilight, but that’s not quite the case as the episode does create problem(s) with Twilight which I'll get to in a bit.
    • Also, only Twilight is hit by various disasters. Why? It’s like she’s being punished for her curiosity. She had the right to be curious about the Pinkie Sense.
  • Twilight even brings up science even though magic is prevalent in Equestria. The writers definitely opened up a can of worms. Let’s deal with the former first. I’m not a scientist myself, but her actions and statements don’t make her sound like a good scientist. New discoveries are made, and old theories are rewritten or revised, so a scientist (or at least good ones) should keep an open mind. I’m pretty sure there are scientists in real life who can also be stubborn, but they have their reasons for being stubborn. Twilight has none other than, “It just doesn't make sense.” Hell, I doubt Twilight did any scientific investigation or observation since she never tried to come up with explanations pertaining to the Pinkie Sense. She just wanted to prove that she was right about the Pinkie Sense not existing. And what would Twilight gain from being right, anyways? Looks like an unclear motivation is another problem.
    • As for the magic aspect, magic clearly breaks the rules of science in this show. Hell, in the beginning, Twilight was converting one kind of object to another with her magic. I know she didn’t apply a law of chemistry to her spell. So I also don’t know why she has to investigate something “scientifically” when she can also try to use magic as an explanation.
    • And there’s even a problem with the magic aspect. Pinkie Pie says that her sense isn’t that different from magic. Does she not realize that magic is normal in Equestria? So is she trying to say that her Pinkie Sense is also normal? Do all ponies have some non-magical special sense to detect certain kinds of danger?
  • As I said before, the Pinkie Sense is fucking stupid. Pinkie may be “random” and “strange”, but this ability takes those traits too far. Someone will say that being able breaking the fourth wall means that having this power isn’t unreasonable, but that only happened twice (end of premiere and end of “Swarm of the Century”), and they weren’t essential to the story.
    • From an out-of-universe perspective, the writers can use also this excuse to do whatever they want with Pinkie Pie just because “she’s not a normal pony”.
    • Compounding this problem is that it’s almost never referenced again after. It was used in the episode “The Mysterious Mare Do Well”, and the ability was put to better use in that episode, but that’s a different story.  Even just looking at the Pinkie Sense by itself, it’s a damn useful power, so why didn’t she use it more often to help herself and her friends when there’s danger? Oh, it happens to be irrelevant during those times? Or it only works with specific kinds of danger? In that case, there’s another problem which I’ll get to later.
    • Still, not being used again is a blessing in disguise since I personally hate the Pinkie Sense, so the out-of-universe problem above also won’t have to apply.
    • Also, why did they think Pinkie needed this trait? We don’t know what she thinks of it other than “it’s not that strange because there’s magic” (a point I’ll get to later), which just sounds like an excuse from the writers to not put much thought into this ability or a reason for its existence. It adds nothing to her and is thus pointless.
  • The capabilities of the Pinkie Sense are also stupid. This may have even been acknowledged in the episode, but that still doesn’t stop the Pinkie Sense from being dumb, and it’s still dumb even from an out-of-universe perspective.
    • For starters, it detects oddly specific events, mostly dangerous events. This probably isn’t everything mentioned, but there’s:
      • Opening doors causing trouble.
      • Something falling whether it’s out of the sky or Twilight falling into a ditch.
      • Her ears flopping predicted what exactly? Someone about to get muddy I’m guessing.
      • She mentions detecting something scary about to happen. Isn’t scariness subjective, by the way?
      • There’s also bee attacks.
      • Her biggest one being her whole body trembling, and something big and unexpected about to happen.
      • Not a disaster, but she also mentions a rainbow.
      • Also, no body part of Pinkie’s was triggered when she suggested Twilight to jump. This is more like (blind) faith unlike the other situations in which Pinkie actually perceived and reacted to some sort of danger.
      • If Pinkie knew Twilight was going to be safe, why didn’t Pinkie say how? If she didn’t know how exactly, then this is more like faith, which doesn’t match with the previous situations since she knew what kind of event was going to happen.
      • And I still don’t think this episode is about faith (though there’s undoubtedly bits) since this is about Twilight learning to believe in something that doesn’t make immediate sense.
      • Pinkie’s “doozy” was about Twilight accepting the Pinkie Sense while at the bog. Except they never would’ve gone there if Pinkie didn’t make the suggestion.
  • I’m guessing this is also named after the Spider Sense. But the Spider Sense works much better because it just warns its respective character of some generic danger. In the case of the Pinkie Sense, since it’s a bunch of specific things, she’d need a bunch of reactions. And there’s an infinite number of strange things that can happen. If she can’t detect everything, then why are certain events excluded? The excuse, “Pinkie Pie doesn’t make sense because that's how it works” is bullshit because the writers won’t feel the need to explain themselves or stick to certain rules. This is storytelling, and there has to be boundaries, otherwise they’d just do whatever they want.

Other Stuff

• I’m no Greek mythology buff, but I thought hydras had 9 heads, or more than 4 heads at least.
  • Pinkie told Twilight to make a “leap of faith”. But before Twilight actually jumps, some amount of time has passed since the 2 were conversing, and Twilight was doubting Pinkie. So if Twilight made the jump earlier, I doubt she would’ve conveniently landed on a bubble.
  • Pinkie also slipped out of the clasps after Twilight was done with the test in the basement. I know that scene was meant to be funny, but the bottom of a pony’s limb is thicker than the top. So she still shouldn’t have been able to slip out like that.
  • Derpy made a notable appearance here. Too bad I don’t care about Derpy, so this will probably be my only mention of her until something major concerning her comes up.
  • Interestingly, Twilight’s tactic against the hydra worked better than RD’s against a dragon. Then again, the hydra wasn’t too bright when you consider its reactions.
  • If Gummy has no teeth, what does he eat? Granted, alligators don’t chew their food, but would he be satisfied with stuff like apple sauce?
  • Princess Celestia makes an appearance at the end. What she was doing there and why she dropped by like that, I have no idea.
  • Like I said, the Pinkie Sense reacts to such specific events. Why don’t I come up with other possibilities?
    • A pony about to trip over something.
    • Sand flying into one’s eyes,
    • A bird flies out of a closet.
    • A wall about to ooze green slime.
    • A certain batch of hay shouldn’t be eaten because it has a brick.
    • Seriously, anyone could come up with a bunch of other stupid scenarios.

Conclusion

If it isn’t obvious, I hated this episode, and I especially HATE the Pinkie Sense. The episode did nothing for its characters, and the Pinkie Sense only exists to push a moral that still could’ve been told with a story that didn’t seem like the creators were pulling things out of their asses.

Edited by Number539
fixed major grammatical errors
  • Like 1

Feeling Pinkie Keen

If I recall correctly it was the most controversial episode of first season. It seems you either enjoy the impossible silliness of it or you try to focus too much on Pinkie Sense or have the problem with moral of the story. I could be wrong, but I think some even went so far to say it is anti-atheistic episode. Anyway for me episode was fun.

Good

• I would like to add that I personally found Twilight adorable and she alone made the episode fun for me. Rest were too generic though and this episode probably shows best why I have problems with Pinkie.
  • I also liked Hydra being immature dumb bully. Somehow seeing scary monster acting silly made me like it.

Bad

• I am more thinking that intention was "you should trust your friends". Pinkie doesn't operate on thoughts, she operates on feelings only so she can't explain a thing. 
    • And Twilight was the target because it was most fun choice since she was the naysayer. If the things happened to other ponies then we would have to take the sense more seriously and have an actual mystery. But episode was never about mystery of the sense, just about Twilight accepting Pinkie being Pinkie. Not saying it was done well though.
  • Twilight was acting like stereotype of cartoon scientist. It is wrong but it is also cartoon tradition and served to create the episode conflict. Also she seems to consider magic a natural part of the equestrian physics. While it is hard to say, because each writer has different idea how magic in show works, we do know that it has supposed rules and laws it must obey. Ill defined but implied. And Twilight implies that Pinkie Sense does not fit the unicornian laws of magic. I guess Pinkie considers magic the same way we humans do and lacks education Twilight has to make her point.  
  • Pinkie Sense is stupid no arguments there. It is also very impractical for show makers to use it. So they simply dropped the whole pinkie sense without retconing it and just referencing it. And from in-show perspective Pinkie should be having seizures 24/7 because of how she predicts most banal things.

Other Stuff 

• Mythological Hydra number of heads depends of the myth version. Nine heads would be the most common. Generic Fantasy Hydra has how many heads it wants. But really it is irrelevant since point of Hydra is that it grows heads. Four is weird number though usually it is three or five.
  • Maybe Pinkie has taken into consideration how long it would take Twi to listen to her and preform the jump? I would rather beat the dead horse and say "why not just teleport".
  • Show is going to remind you that pony bodies are very elastic. It isn't even Pinkie only thing either, she just does it most often. Actually a lot of thing Pinkie does is just extreme version of what every pony can do. They are all cartoon characters, Pinkie existence unfortunately is just tied too much to being comedic act.
  • Derpy tried to assassinate Twilight but was foiled again (she somehow even managed to heal twilight). She is later going to fail at assassinating Rainbow Dash. What I am saying is Derpy is the true antagonist of the Mane Six and either tries to kill them or at least inconvenience them. Seriously, she is.    
  • I am honestly impressed Twilight managed to go under Hydra. It seemed to be rather small space between ahem hydra's but and the ground.
  • Celestia was off her meds that day or she really wanted some screen time. Back then she thought she had a chance.
  • Bonus: How did Fluttershy manage to hover with a wagon full of frogs with wagon staying horizontal. Also how did she not know that new habitat had a giant Hydra.
  • Bonus: How did AJ open the cellar door, we didn't even see her behind them. Twilight had to fall for sometime before AJ greeted her like she just dropped by to say hi.
  • Bonus: Oh also Pinkius Piecus implies Pinkie is male. Awkward. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Feeling Pinkie Keen

If I recall correctly it was the most controversial episode of first season. It seems you either enjoy the impossible silliness of it or you try to focus too much on Pinkie Sense or have the problem with moral of the story. I could be wrong, but I think some even went so far to say it is anti-atheistic episode. Anyway for me episode was fun.

Good

• I would like to add that I personally found Twilight adorable and she alone made the episode fun for me. Rest were too generic though and this episode probably shows best why I have problems with Pinkie.
  • I also liked Hydra being immature dumb bully. Somehow seeing scary monster acting silly made me like it.

Bad

• I am more thinking that intention was "you should trust your friends". Pinkie doesn't operate on thoughts, she operates on feelings only so she can't explain a thing. 
    • And Twilight was the target because it was most fun choice since she was the naysayer. If the things happened to other ponies then we would have to take the sense more seriously and have an actual mystery. But episode was never about mystery of the sense, just about Twilight accepting Pinkie being Pinkie. Not saying it was done well though.
  • Twilight was acting like stereotype of cartoon scientist. It is wrong but it is also cartoon tradition and served to create the episode conflict. Also she seems to consider magic a natural part of the equestrian physics. While it is hard to say, because each writer has different idea how magic in show works, we do know that it has supposed rules and laws it must obey. Ill defined but implied. And Twilight implies that Pinkie Sense does not fit the unicornian laws of magic. I guess Pinkie considers magic the same way we humans do and lacks education Twilight has to make her point.  
  • Pinkie Sense is stupid no arguments there. It is also very impractical for show makers to use it. So they simply dropped the whole pinkie sense without retconing it and just referencing it. And from in-show perspective Pinkie should be having seizures 24/7 because of how she predicts most banal things.

Other Stuff 

• Mythological Hydra number of heads depends of the myth version. Nine heads would be the most common. Generic Fantasy Hydra has how many heads it wants. But really it is irrelevant since point of Hydra is that it grows heads. Four is weird number though usually it is three or five.
  • Maybe Pinkie has taken into consideration how long it would take Twi to listen to her and preform the jump? I would rather beat the dead horse and say "why not just teleport".
  • Show is going to remind you that pony bodies are very elastic. It isn't even Pinkie only thing either, she just does it most often. Actually a lot of thing Pinkie does is just extreme version of what every pony can do. They are all cartoon characters, Pinkie existence unfortunately is just tied too much to being comedic act.
  • Derpy tried to assassinate Twilight but was foiled again (she somehow even managed to heal twilight). She is later going to fail at assassinating Rainbow Dash. What I am saying is Derpy is the true antagonist of the Mane Six and either tries to kill them or at least inconvenience them. Seriously, she is.    
  • I am honestly impressed Twilight managed to go under Hydra. It seemed to be rather small space between ahem hydra's but and the ground.
  • Celestia was off her meds that day or she really wanted some screen time. Back then she thought she had a chance.
  • Bonus: How did Fluttershy manage to hover with a wagon full of frogs with wagon staying horizontal. Also how did she not know that new habitat had a giant Hydra.
  • Bonus: How did AJ open the cellar door, we didn't even see her behind them. Twilight had to fall for sometime before AJ greeted her like she just dropped by to say hi.
  • Bonus: Oh also Pinkius Piecus implies Pinkie is male. Awkward. 

Feeling Pinkie Keen

For me, I just hate the Pinkie Sense and the creators' intentions behind it. The moral was clear. Even though the delivery at the end was weird, those direct deliveries at the end of the episodes were clearly requested by the higher-ups, so I tend to ignore those since the actual journey matters more.

Good

• Twilight's antics could have some appeal, but I didn't agree with the story it went with.
  • The hydra even blew a raspberry after the characters escaped. That was admittedly amusing.

Bad

• Learning to trust one's friends was the moral in "Swarm of the Century", though that was admittedly not done well. This episode could've combined that with the learning to accept that some things don't make direct sense, but the Pinkie Sense would still need to go for the reasons I listed.
    • That's a good point, but it's still weird seeing Twilight take a bunch of abuse even though it was amusing. I guess not helping is that this show isn't Looney Tunes.
  • It could make sense that Pinkie sees magic differently since she doesn't work with it, but we ultimately don't get much out of her.
  • I definitely agree with this whole point. Though I have to wonder if she could detect something that's could in a far away area, say, Manehattan, since she knew something was going to happen in the bog. Your point with the seizure now makes even more sense than this episode.
    • Again, I don't mind the moral they wanted to deliver here, but the Pinkie Sense wasn't the right way to go about it.

Other Stuff

• I'm surprised I didn't mention the option for Twilight to teleport, but I still wonder what Pinkie was feeling.
  • I'm glad you enjoy Derpy. Since I'm indifferent to her, I have nothing else to add.
  • Agreed with Celestia. Things looked much better for her back then.
  • Holy crap, I didn't even think of the wagon that Fluttershy was attached to. Yeah, how did it stay horizontal? And I'm guessing she forgot to do her homework concerning the bog.
  • The cellar door probably has a lever at the bottom of the stairs. Or AJ moved downstairs very quickly.
  • I'm not a taxonomist, so I don't understand this point.

Thanks again for your input. As always, feel free to add more points, especially with the "Other Stuff" section. There's always a bunch of weird things to stop and think about.

Edited by Number539

Sonic Rainboom

From rock bottom to sky high, this episode is literal qualitative opposite of the idiotic piece of shit that was “Feeling Pinkie Keen”. Unlike the Pinkie Sense, the title phenomenon is interesting and serves a purpose. And the major characters of the episode get some actual exploration.

Good

• Rainbow Dash shows some cracks in her tough exterior. Since she’s often shown to be something of a braggart, this episode was a good opportunity to show another side of her. Like in “Fall Weather Friends”, we see that a competition can mess with this pony’s confidence, especially if she doesn’t start thinking that she’ll do great or if another competitor could give her a run for her money. It’s also reasonable to assume that the pegasus strokes her own ego to put keep her lack of confidence at bay, but it’s also clear that she’s good at what she does even with these mental blocks.
    • She was able to pull off a Sonic Rainboom when she was younger, as in when she was less experience and skilled. So being unable to perform the same trick even after her constant flight practices can also make her nervousness more of a problem. She even criticizes Fluttershy’s cheering in an attempt to trivialize her inability to do the Sonic Rainboom.
  • I’d also like to praise the story. As always, the stories from MLP:FIM are simple, but this one deserves special mention for being an uplifting one. Rainbow Dash tries and fails to do a Sonic Rainboom, and she’s uncomfortable with this since she wants to win the competition and meet her idols. But her situation worsens when Rarity gets wings and makes a good impression with the other ponies. We also see how she acts when her confidence gets too low, even thinking that Princess Celestia will send her to the Everfree Forest. She also delays her performance time and ultimately ends in a fetal position. When she finally performs in the competition, she makes some blunders, but it’s obvious that she’ll do well in the end. I do like the touch that her desire to save Rarity ultimately helped RD do a Sonic Rainboom because RD was more concerned about saving her friend than trying to look good or win a contest.
    • Funnily enough, after saving Rarity and getting back to Cloudsdale, she notes that she made a Sonic Rainboom before Rarity points out RD’s heroic act. I’m sure RD would’ve never expected to make her big show in this manner.
  • We’ve never explored the sky until now, so seeing Cloudsdale and its inside for the first time are notable plusses. The episode features more weather control (even a factory) from the Equestrians including snowflakes and rainbows.
  • Fluttershy even learns to be more assertive. Her most notable moment is either her soft cheer in the beginning or her Pinkie Pie cheer toward the end, but another major moment for me in the episode includes her conversation with the bullies (who thankfully don’t get too much screentime). Fluttershy does back down after making standing her ground, but baby steps seem to be the way for her.
    • Also, the two pegasi get more screentime together in the future for things relating to flight. And this episode was a good place to start. I suppose Fluttershy trying to cheer for RD is also worth a mention.
  • Rarity gets more screentime again, and we see more of her vain side. She wanted to help RD at first, and the fashion show comparison was actually a good and reasonable touch. After getting a nice pair of wings, she and the Pegasus Ponies look at them in admiration. Rarity was even so enamored with her wings that she remained hovered and looked at her reflection at one point. The positive attention goes far enough that she even decides to enter the competition that she wanted to see RD win.
    • I’ve read that at least a few people have complaints about Rarity upstaging RD when the former wanted to go to Cloudsdale to help the latter. That could create a damper on Rarity’s image, but I don’t see it as out of character. This is still fairly early into the show, and there wasn’t anything in previous episodes that suggested this can’t happen.
    • She’s always been a pony that wanted attention. She even said so in “The Ticket Master” and “Green Isn’t Your Color”. Since she’s fashion-designer, she wants to look good, and she wouldn’t be so determined to look good if she didn’t care about what other ponies thought of her appearance.
    • Rarity even showed some vanity in “Suited For Success”. When AJ thought that make a lot of dresses would be a huge task, Rarity brushed off the idea. The delivery is also worth noting.
    • Being saved by Rainbow Dash was appropriate as that helped Rarity accomplish her original goal and push RD to finally do the Sonic Rainbow, albeit unintentionally. If anything, Rarity was punished for her actions with RD’s rescue helping her realize her mistake, and she apologized in the end.
  • Not mentioning Rarity’s laugh is a crime, and I love that laugh. I don’t know why exactly. Maybe it was just so random yet appropriate. I know the sound was reused from first episode, but it is put to much better use in here. Maybe it could’ve been used more often, but it also would’ve gotten old. So this one instance was good enough.

Bad

• Celestia doing nothing. At first, this wouldn’t be such a huge problem, but this really bugs me after knowing the alicorn’s “journey” in the show. Even worse is that we don’t know what she was thinking through all of this. She just goes up to RD and congratulates her for saving Rarity and winning the contest. Why was she stuck on her ass the whole time? Considering Celestia’s position, isn’t helping others one of her main tasks? And saving a pony still counts as helping.

Other Stuff

• The show has long established that only Pegasus Ponies can interact with clouds. So do the wings carry some inherent magical power? The only physical difference between the Pegasus Pony and the others is feathered wings, so there should be more to the wings.
  • I’m not a physicist, but what pushes RD back when failing to do a Sonic Rainboom? Then again, this is a different universe with different rules, but I still wonder.
    • Rainbow Dash also extended both front limbs forward to do the Sonic Rainboom when trying to get to Rarity. Previously, she only extended one limb. Maybe she needed both hooves to break the “sound barrier”.
  • We see the Wonderbolts in action for the first time. Sort of. Either they’re terrible as saviors or Rarity gets too wild when she’s in trouble. Also, there were only 3 Wonderbolts that flew to Rarity, but there was more than that during the opening of the competition. I guess the others were napping.
  • Rarity’s performance outfit fits with the “ugly” dresses from “Suited For Success”. Though her design choices looked like there was actual thought put into it even if it does ultimately look strange.
  • Pinkie Pie as exposition was obvious, but it’s also interesting that she doesn’t do much more after that.
  • Pinkie also did a good Fluttershy impression after tasting a rainbow.
    • She also showed other expressions after tasting the rainbow. What kind of flavors do these Skittles have?
  • There were a few pegasi with a jackhammer in the clouds. I have no idea how that works. Also, the jackhammer falls to the ground after they get distracted by seeing Rarity. That's going to hurt.
  • In the beginning, Pinkie said found the book containing the spell with the wings after said book landed on her face. But she gave Twilight a different book. Then again, when we see Pinkie coming out of the book pile, there was a book on top of her head instead of on her face.
  • So Rainbow Dash was the only pony to ever do a Sonic Rainboom? I’m surprised that no other flying pony that ever existed in Equestria ever flew as fast as RD did. Since this is also a named phenomenon, there’s some implication that it’s been done before. Or maybe the before was with young RD, and the event was named around that time.
    • What exactly causes the rainbow trail, anyways? Again, I’m not a physicist, but Pinkie mentions a sonic boom and a rainbow happening together. The sonic boom part is fine, but I still wonder what causes the rainbow. Maybe it needs to be done by a rainbow-colored pony like RD.
    • The bullies at the end also want to know how to do it. From the looks of things, just fly very fast.
    • How does a pony fly get to fly fast anyways? Rainbow Dash’s build still looks just like any other pegasus. I guess super speed is her superpower.
  • And RD being the greatest flier in Equestria? How do the alicorns compare then?
  • So the Pegasus Ponies all manually make each individual snowflake. I’m sure there’s a ton that fall during winter, so they must work very fast.
  • There was a strange scene in the beginning when Twilight mentions the 2 pegasus arguing. I’m pretty sure that was RD berating Fluttershy, and Fluttershy even expresses confusion over this statement.
  • I’m sure the non-pegasus ponies of the Mane 6 would’ve like to go to Cloudsdale. Why didn’t they try finding something sooner?
  • There’s also a notable scene with Fluttershy trying to “encourage” RD. Amusingly, Fluttershy is hit by the same thing not long after.
  • Rainbow Dash actually thought that Celestia might banish her to the Everfree Forest? That’s a pretty extreme punishment for putting on an unimpressive show. Then again, that extreme punishment could actually give Celestia’s character some interest.
  • This episode is also the first time the hot air balloon from the intro gets used. Where did it come from, anyways?
  • Twilight said that Rarity’s wings are made of dew and gossamer. Strangely, the wings burned to ashes instead of melting after getting too close to the sun. Even stranger is that Twilight said the wings “evaporated”, which would imply that the wings were in a liquid state.
  • The final round required both RD and Rarity to perform together. Did the ponies putting the competition together not think about the time that each individual performer would need?
  • Since only Pegasus Ponies can go on clouds without help, it’s a shame that the Earth and Unicorn Ponies miss a ton of shows in the clouds. They can always look up, but the view probably isn’t that good.
  • Luna was probably sick when the competition was happening. That’s probably the reason she wasn’t in the first season. Too many illnesses or one huge illness.
  • I'm surprised at how long this section is. I don't know if that'll happen again with future episodes.

Conclusion

This is a personal favorite from the first season, and it still holds up, at least for the most part. Though Celestia doing nothing to help Rarity sours things more than it should. I can’t emphasize how much I hate seeing her wasted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Number539 said:

I'm not a taxonomist, so I don't understand this point.

Basic Latin, "-us" is used as Nominative case (singular) for male words of second declination. This concept is alien to English speakers but to other Indo-european languages it is normal for words to have specific gender. Long story short when you see latin word with -us, there is a very good chance it is a male word. 

Also I feel I should be worried that I enjoy Derpy as a sociopath. Um...yay headcanons?

Sonic Rainboom

I don't think I liked this episode when I first watched it because of the way Rarity behaved and because Dash is not the pony I particularly liked at that time. But now I appreciated Dash much more since she looks more natural when story is told from her perspective. I find that to be the usual case with this show as characters are often their best when the episode is about them with certain exceptions.

Also yes it was adorable seeing Fluttershy learning to be assertive. Now the problem is that so many of her future episodes will be about overcoming shyness and being assertive and here we have an episode that is not even about here where she learns that lesson. Probably should keep a score, this is second time, right?

About Rarity I would like to point out that it was her idea for the gang to even go and cheer for Rainbow Dash in the first place. She is first to volunteer for the spell Twilight was not sure if she can cast. Clearly she cares about other ponies, just that over the course of episode she allowed herself to be spoiled by all the compliments she was getting. In a way Dash and Rarity are quite similar in regard how it is important to them what other ponies think about them, are bit egoistic (but are still loyal friends) and both are competitive. Just that Rarity usually hides behind manners and isn't as obnoxious obvious as Dash (I do like that daredevil).

Bad

• Well at this point of the show we didn't know anything about Alicorns and they were far more enigmatic. But also she is a ruler not a super hero so she doesn't actually need to be physically powerful and she more often than not delegates stuff. The rescue team was already on their way anyway. As the time will progress though this inactivity will hurt Celestia a lot and it would help if we saw her doing actual ruling to justify for not being a pony that solves bad situations.
  • I kinda want to add that I found it very odd how there was actually very little interaction at all between Dash and Rarity considering the episode focused on them both.

Other Stuff 

• I think that was literal sound barrier bouncing Dash back like a slingshot. I also think actual physicists cry every time Dash flies, like at the end pretty sure at that speed she would break Rarity and Wonderbolts and then she made a sharp turn without slowing down.
  • And ah yes the Wonderbolts. Praised so much yet from here starts their chain of humiliation or them just being jerks (no, not the Newbie Dash episode, that deserves it's own section). So I am starting my count, we have 1 point for failure.
  • I think the idea about Rarity's appearance is because she was preforming from bigger distance, her make up and outfit had to be more extravagant. Unfortunately for us we still saw her zoomed in.
  • Sonic Rainboom was probably a myth, at least in first season seems ponies didn't bother having written history. Dash I guess has very strong wings or maybe whole pegasus flight is magic based which could also explain trails. I don't know guess she is faster the same way not all humans run as fast. Also trails could be magical and I doubt are natural phenomenons. Sure you might explain rainbow trail but the Wonderbolt smoke trail? Too much beans?
    • Also there will later be continuity error as the bullies were racing Dash when she preformed her first Sonic Rainboom. Why did they stay in denial then and are convinced now?
  • Dash really could be greatest at flying as only Wonderbolts seem to be a competition. As for Alicorns, what about them? Don't think being good at flying is prerequisite for being a ruler of a land.
  • You know I would have expected unicorns to craft the snowflakes. I mean must be hard doing it with hooves.
  • And ahhh time when ponies actually feared Celestia. Only in first season did ponies treat her like this with fear and praise.
  • By the way blink and you'll miss it but among the crowd you can actually see Lyra(s) jumping up and down. And no she wasn't turned into a pegasus like most of pony extras were changed for this episode. So there we have one unicorn (and clones) in the audience. 
  • By the way if you have wondered about jackhammer falling... now think about what they do with trash and plumbing. I do not think anyone would want to be under that city.

Well this was fun. Heh was nice to see the old things that didn't carry through other seasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Basic Latin, "-us" is used as Nominative case (singular) for male words of second declination. This concept is alien to English speakers but to other Indo-european languages it is normal for words to have specific gender. Long story short when you see latin word with -us, there is a very good chance it is a male word. 

Also I feel I should be worried that I enjoy Derpy as a sociopath. Um...yay headcanons?

Sonic Rainboom

I don't think I liked this episode when I first watched it because of the way Rarity behaved and because Dash is not the pony I particularly liked at that time. But now I appreciated Dash much more since she looks more natural when story is told from her perspective. I find that to be the usual case with this show as characters are often their best when the episode is about them with certain exceptions.

Also yes it was adorable seeing Fluttershy learning to be assertive. Now the problem is that so many of her future episodes will be about overcoming shyness and being assertive and here we have an episode that is not even about here where she learns that lesson. Probably should keep a score, this is second time, right?

About Rarity I would like to point out that it was her idea for the gang to even go and cheer for Rainbow Dash in the first place. She is first to volunteer for the spell Twilight was not sure if she can cast. Clearly she cares about other ponies, just that over the course of episode she allowed herself to be spoiled by all the compliments she was getting. In a way Dash and Rarity are quite similar in regard how it is important to them what other ponies think about them, are bit egoistic (but are still loyal friends) and both are competitive. Just that Rarity usually hides behind manners and isn't as obnoxious obvious as Dash (I do like that daredevil).

Bad

• Well at this point of the show we didn't know anything about Alicorns and they were far more enigmatic. But also she is a ruler not a super hero so she doesn't actually need to be physically powerful and she more often than not delegates stuff. The rescue team was already on their way anyway. As the time will progress though this inactivity will hurt Celestia a lot and it would help if we saw her doing actual ruling to justify for not being a pony that solves bad situations.
  • I kinda want to add that I found it very odd how there was actually very little interaction at all between Dash and Rarity considering the episode focused on them both.

Other Stuff 

• I think that was literal sound barrier bouncing Dash back like a slingshot. I also think actual physicists cry every time Dash flies, like at the end pretty sure at that speed she would break Rarity and Wonderbolts and then she made a sharp turn without slowing down.
  • And ah yes the Wonderbolts. Praised so much yet from here starts their chain of humiliation or them just being jerks (no, not the Newbie Dash episode, that deserves it's own section). So I am starting my count, we have 1 point for failure.
  • I think the idea about Rarity's appearance is because she was preforming from bigger distance, her make up and outfit had to be more extravagant. Unfortunately for us we still saw her zoomed in.
  • Sonic Rainboom was probably a myth, at least in first season seems ponies didn't bother having written history. Dash I guess has very strong wings or maybe whole pegasus flight is magic based which could also explain trails. I don't know guess she is faster the same way not all humans run as fast. Also trails could be magical and I doubt are natural phenomenons. Sure you might explain rainbow trail but the Wonderbolt smoke trail? Too much beans?
    • Also there will later be continuity error as the bullies were racing Dash when she preformed her first Sonic Rainboom. Why did they stay in denial then and are convinced now?
  • Dash really could be greatest at flying as only Wonderbolts seem to be a competition. As for Alicorns, what about them? Don't think being good at flying is prerequisite for being a ruler of a land.
  • You know I would have expected unicorns to craft the snowflakes. I mean must be hard doing it with hooves.
  • And ahhh time when ponies actually feared Celestia. Only in first season did ponies treat her like this with fear and praise.
  • By the way blink and you'll miss it but among the crowd you can actually see Lyra(s) jumping up and down. And no she wasn't turned into a pegasus like most of pony extras were changed for this episode. So there we have one unicorn (and clones) in the audience. 
  • By the way if you have wondered about jackhammer falling... now think about what they do with trash and plumbing. I do not think anyone would want to be under that city.

Well this was fun. Heh was nice to see the old things that didn't carry through other seasons.

Sonic Rainboom

"Dragonshy" was a first step for Fluttershy to getting more assertive as she simply stood up to a dragon when her friends were in danger. She also needs to learn to overcome shyness outside of danger, and this episode does that. But I do remember future episodes muddying the issue, so keeping score is a good idea.

That's a good point about Rarity, and she shows a competitive side later in "Green Isn't Your Color". And she does show another good side in "Suited For Success". I think it's reasonable for anyone to act differently if the situation and context are reasonable enough, which I thought they were in the case of this episode. Also interesting to note is that Rarity is the only pony in her family with that accent, so she might have even consciously adopted it.

Bad

• You're right about Celestia and the alicorn lore in general this early in the show, but 16 episodes in, and it's still odd that Celestia hasn't done anything significant. She has a major connection with Twilight, and since Twilight writes to her at the end of every episode, Celestia has to be worth something, right? Otherwise, Twilight might as well write to a random Ponyville citizen.
    •  I don't mind that Celestia isn't all-powerful or some goddess, but being useless or inactive over and over again with no explanation is bad storytelling. And no attempts to deal with this problem only makes the problem worse. Personally, I think it's too late to redeem Celestia as she's gone 6 seasons looking like an idiot in one way or another. And I don't see myself being content with whatever happens next with her.
      • If she continues to be useless or inactive, then I'll keep complaining about the continuing poor treatment.
      • Even if season 7 has one episode doing something good or even expand on the alicorn lore, that doesn't fix the problems with involving her in the previous seasons. I'd just ask, "Why didn't they do something like this sooner?" I'll also wonder why an idiot like her has suddenly become smart and competent.
    • And being an alicorn has to mean something since they have a horn and wings. Otherwise, why aren't there more of them? Why is Celestia much larger than most ponies? Why does she have a flowing mane? Why is her body shape so different?
    • Personally, I think the alicorns should've been excluded from the show, or at least not have a major connection with the main characters. Celestia and Luna could still work as some distant but major figure that fight evil during their own time, and the Mane 6 just deal with their usual lives and not fight bad guys. I know I wouldn't have begged at any point to see Celestia blast a hole in some villain.
  • RD and Rarity not interacting much didn't cross my mind for whatever reason, but that's still a good observation. After some thinking, I ultimately don't mind this as the episode was showing how they were dealing with their respective situations. There could've been some communication between the two, particularly with Rarity not helping RD like she meant to, but they'd probably just argue, and the episode would've been less interesting. Rarity might look even worse since she'd become more aware of RD's situation but still disregarding it. In other words, I don't think a lot of interaction was needed.

Other Stuff

• Fiction always breaks the laws of science, but the sound barrier "pushing back" RD was surreal even by fictional standards.
  • Looks like the Wonderbolts will need to be counted, too. Do remind me if I miss any kind of count.
    • I think they could've counted as another con, but to me, it wouldn't have been appropriate for them to rescue Rarity from a  storytelling perspective.
  • Not all humans run at the same speed, but that's more about endurance and physical fitness. I'm just wondering what RD's reason for being fast is. It probably is just a lot of practice. And I forgot about the smoke trails from the Wonderbolts. The mention of beans reminds me of Pinkie from "The Last Roundup".
    • I actually forgot about this, but you're right. I'll get to that episode fairly soon, so I'll give my thoughts then.
  • I suppose being a good or fast flier isn't necessary to rule, but that was really me still being curious about the capabilities of an alicorn. Or at least natural alicorns like Celestia and Luna. Not artificial ones like Twilight.
  • Ah yes, ponies fearing Celestia. I remember another instance in "A Bird in a Hoof". And it was only the first season? I thought the second season might have something, but my memory is fuzzy. It definitely stops around season 3 or 4.
  • I didn't see Lyra in the stadium, but then again I'm indifferent to the background ponies. So I can't be surprised that certain background pony designs were reused as pegasi.
  • Did they show what Cloudsdale did with trash and plumbing? I don't remember.
  • Like 1

Yeah Celestia is a mess but well she is the ruler and rules from different location and is side character. I guess they never showed what she does because politics aren't usual stuff little girls like. But well sadly she only exists to spill exposition and to be bad guys punching bag. Though I think Luna fans might start a rebellion if we say something bad about her. But hey lots of episodes to poke fun regarding them and it still just season one where ponies at least treat them with respect. 

Oh and Lyra was still unicorn. That is why I mentioned her since you wondered about non pegasi watching the show. Think we would be here all day if I started pointing out every time known background pony appeared. Not Slice of Life quite yet.

And nah they didn't show what Cloudsdale did but considering the disregard they have for stuff falling... I mean at least the plumbing would have to go down (if they have it). Then again from the image there are a lot of waterfalls going down.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 3:21 PM, Cinder Vel said:

Yeah Celestia is a mess but well she is the ruler and rules from different location and is side character. I guess they never showed what she does because politics aren't usual stuff little girls like. But well sadly she only exists to spill exposition and to be bad guys punching bag. Though I think Luna fans might start a rebellion if we say something bad about her. But hey lots of episodes to poke fun regarding them and it still just season one where ponies at least treat them with respect.

They don't need to explain the politics of Equestria. Her relationship with the other ponies, especially Luna and Twilight, would already be good. There are some of those things in the show, but they're just small bits that ultimately add up to nothing. Add the fact that she's been neglected or poorly treated, and I have to wonder if those presentations even make sense. She also could be in a direct supporting role of beating a bad guy. Also, who's to say that she couldn't be a main character of an episode(s) that has to deal with the villain while the Mane 6 can help out in a meaningful manner? We've gotten episodes with the CMC (or one of them) as a main character, so there's no excuse for ignoring Celestia. I'll just have to savor whatever positive screentime Celestia gets in the first season because there are parts I liked.

I personally don't think much of Luna, either. I will say she's been portrayed better, but she still doesn't get enough screentime and is also useless against villains. But at least she gets to be in an actual supporting role like with the CMC in certain episodes. Luna has a potentially interesting backstory, and that's probably why she has a lot of fans, but we've gotten little to nothing about her past or feelings. I initially enjoyed her season 2 episode, but I'm not sure it will hold up if I rewatch it. And I hated her season 5 episode. If the Luna fans start a rebellion, there's not much I can do about it. I'd rather be honest with my opinions.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:21 PM, Cinder Vel said:

Oh and Lyra was still unicorn. That is why I mentioned her since you wondered about non pegasi watching the show. Think we would be here all day if I started pointing out every time known background pony appeared. Not Slice of Life quite yet.

And nah they didn't show what Cloudsdale did but considering the disregard they have for stuff falling... I mean at least the plumbing would have to go down (if they have it). Then again from the image there are a lot of waterfalls going down.

Well, I'm not into the background ponies, so I probably won't say much about them unless they do something interesting. They're just that: background characters, and they don't have much impact on the episodes they're in. "Amending Fences" and "Slice of Life" are just exceptions. Feel free to give your thoughts on them, however.

Cloudsdale does have rainbows coming down from it, but I don't think we've seen if those rainbows connect to anything.

Edited by Number539

Stare Master

I remembered this episode and the next being average, and this one is still average. I’m not sure I have much to say because nothing much happens.

Rarity promised to babysit but can’t, so Fluttershy takes over. The CMC are more troublesome than they appear, and they go to the Everfree Forest to rescue a chicken. Fluttershy saves them, and that’s it. I know that almost any story (including those outside of MLP) can be summed up in a few sentences, and there’s obviously more that happened than what I typed (which I’ll mention below anyways). But I can’t think of much meaningful things that have occurred over the episode. The story could’ve been told in 11 minutes, or at least less than 22 minutes.

And why were 2 Cutie Mark Crusader episodes produced consecutively?

Good

• Fluttershy gets some decent screentime. She thinks that she could handle kids since she could handle animals. I doubt animals are easy to deal with, but kids are – well – different animals. She’s still learning to be more assertive, so she couldn’t stop the CMC right away. But she has directly stopped them a few times like when the CMC wanted a cutie mark about adventuring (this is before they went to find the chicken) or when Fluttershy wanted them to go to bed. Good thing Fluttershy shows some smarts because she knew the bedroom seemed too quiet when she just saw the fillies being rambunctious. Her confrontation with the cockatrice at the end is worth a mention. However, this is a still repeat of the dragon situation since this is Fluttershy again having to push herself to save some other ponies. Overall, this positive point isn’t too much, but then again positive presentations aren’t bad.
    • Her stare has appeared previously in “Dragonshy” even if it wasn’t stated explicitly. But she still looked the dragon in the eyes and gave it a stern look, so the stare still fits. I have some problems with this ability, however.
    • Third (font to remember count) instance of Fluttershy being assertive. Nothing too terrible here even though it’s a repeat, but I can live with that since Fluttershy can’t just go from shy to completely confident in one episode or even a few. Otherwise, her shyness is a pointless trait. This episode can still work as a bit of progression.
  • We get a hint of the relationship between Rarity and her sister. Sweetie Belle means well even though she’s a screw-up, but Rarity can’t stand the mess her sister makes especially if her work is involved.
    • Sweetie Belle gets some of the golden silk and directly mimics her sister when describing the material. Looks like she didn’t want to ask about the silk, but what could the mimicking mean? I don’t recall her doing something like that again. Maybe she was just doing a Rarity impression out of admiration, disdain, or both.
    • My memory of “Sisterhooves Social” a bit fuzzy, but I remember liking it. Right now, I’m seeing how well previous episodes lead up to it.

Bad

• The episode is another one that’s more about pushing the moral instead of focusing on the story, and nothing much happens as a result.
    • To “bite off more than one can chew” was even said thrice. Once by Rarity in the beginning, the second time with Fluttershy commenting on the CMC trying to get the chicken in the Everfree Forest, and the third for the written moral in a season 1 episode.
    • The episode had to show the CMC being too much for Fluttershy to handle, but the Crusaders’ antics take up a lot of the middle portion especially with their attempts to get cutie marks, and this of course gets repetitive since they just fail and make huge messes. The failures are clear from the start as well since it would otherwise be too easy and too soon for them to get their cutie marks.
  • We don’t get much on the Crusaders either other than they’re hyperactive kids. There was at least an argument between Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, but it’s a pretty small one. They also learn to respect Fluttershy after seeing her in action, but this is also small. Why they don’t feel like obeying Rarity when she tries to assert her authority like at the ending is another question.
  • The first conversation with Twilight notably adds nothing to the episode because Fluttershy was being reminded again that the CMC can be hard to handle. Of course, Twilight had to deliver the moral somehow. Maybe Fluttershy could’ve written to Twilight.
  • Fluttershy’s stare, like the Pinkie Sense, is also pointless because it adds nothing meaningful to the respective character. However, I’m more tolerant of this because this makes more sense than the Pinkie Sense does (from an out-of-universe perspective) and has the potential to work better.
    • The bigger problem is that this unique ability is unexplored mainly because it is underused. We don’t know what exactly this means to Fluttershy outside of her saying that she has little control over it. But we clearly see her consciously exerting her stare at the chickens, at Angel Bunny in season 2, and at Discord in season 3. Again, this useful ability could’ve been useful against the villains unless that happens to not be the case for some arbitrary reason.
    • I always thought that her stare was more related to her animal caring ability since she has to somehow communicate with creatures normal ponies can’t directly communicate with. Then again, the stare seemed hypnotic in the episode, so it could’ve instead been an extension of her animal caring ability or had a psychological effect. Maybe the stare contributed to her shyness because she doesn’t want to unintentionally hurt others especially if she gets angry. Again, all this isn't explored.
  • Sweetie Belle being Rarity’s sister is a sloppy reveal since the nothing about a sibling was ever hinted at in the latter’s life until now.

Other Stuff

• Is it really that hard to picture a table?
  • I'm really surprised Rarity wasn't terribly irritated at her sister. She already had to do a lot of work in the night, and Sweetie Belle made her situation even harder.
  • I would’ve liked to see Fluttershy’s medal or trophy at the “Shh” game.
  • Opal didn’t seem troublesome in “Suited for Success”. She was probably in a good mood back then.
  • Strange that no one initially noticed a hole in the fence with chicken tracks.
  • I wonder if the cockatrice turned anyone else to stone.
  • For that matter, good thing the chicken and the CMC went to the Everfree Forest because Twilight would’ve never been found.
  • Could Applejack, being Apple Bloom’s sister, have babysat the fillies instead?
  • Good thing Scootaloo wasn’t Rainbow Dash’s younger sister because the main members of the CMC being blood related the Mane 6 would be a dumb coincidence.
  • Sweetie Belle for some reason thinks that a lullaby should be sung loudly.

Conclusion

Even though the “Bad” section is noticeably longer than the “Good” section, this episode was really more pedestrian than terrible. I don’t imagine the next one being much better.

Edited by Number539
fixed some grammatical errors
  • Like 1

Stare Master

Yeah I don't think I can say much that hasn't been already said. It's a sweet episode but that's pretty much it. Also I do not think episodes are produced and aired in same order. 

Good

• Fluttershy wasn't that shy in this episode as she on her own accord from beginning wanted to show that she is capable. Her fear was natural and she overcame it without need for an episode to be dedicated to the issue. This is positive use of Fluttershy as far I am concerned as she had her trademarked shy quiet personality and was a capable person. 
  • About Sweetie, she does try to emulate her sister because she sees Rarity as a role model. Rarity is also elder sister so that makes her an enemy also. Being a sibling is a weird thing like that. 

Bad

• CMC are interchangeable in this episode and only Sweetie had her own moments. Funny though at one point Sweetie and Scootaloo actually switched voices.
  • Twilight could have been removed and nothing would be different. But season 1 demanded there to be a letter to a princess and obligatory obvious moral. 
  • Stare is ill defined ability. Personally I never saw it to be magic related at all but simply guilt trip when someone as sweet as Fluttershy is disappointed in you. Which is why it won't work on Discord the first time but after he befriends Flutters he will not be indifferent to her outbursts. 

Other Stuff

• As Scoots said "we were making a table?".
  • It is strange considering how Rarity will react next time. For now I suppose she is just that good at hiding her anger.
  • Fluttershy foalsits because of the ancient rule of "calling dibs". If Flutters wasn't there then CMC could have argued about AJ doing it but I suppose AJ was too busy picking apples.

Yeah honestly wish I had something new to add but there wasn't that much going on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Stare Master

Yeah I don't think I can say much that hasn't been already said. It's a sweet episode but that's pretty much it. Also I do not think episodes are produced and aired in same order. 

Good

• Fluttershy wasn't that shy in this episode as she on her own accord from beginning wanted to show that she is capable. Her fear was natural and she overcame it without need for an episode to be dedicated to the issue. This is positive use of Fluttershy as far I am concerned as she had her trademarked shy quiet personality and was a capable person. 
  • About Sweetie, she does try to emulate her sister because she sees Rarity as a role model. Rarity is also elder sister so that makes her an enemy also. Being a sibling is a weird thing like that. 

Bad

• CMC are interchangeable in this episode and only Sweetie had her own moments. Funny though at one point Sweetie and Scootaloo actually switched voices.
  • Twilight could have been removed and nothing would be different. But season 1 demanded there to be a letter to a princess and obligatory obvious moral. 
  • Stare is ill defined ability. Personally I never saw it to be magic related at all but simply guilt trip when someone as sweet as Fluttershy is disappointed in you. Which is why it won't work on Discord the first time but after he befriends Flutters he will not be indifferent to her outbursts. 

Other Stuff

• As Scoots said "we were making a table?".
  • It is strange considering how Rarity will react next time. For now I suppose she is just that good at hiding her anger.
  • Fluttershy foalsits because of the ancient rule of "calling dibs". If Flutters wasn't there then CMC could have argued about AJ doing it but I suppose AJ was too busy picking apples.

Yeah honestly wish I had something new to add but there wasn't that much going on.

Good

• Agreed
  • I guess seeing Rarity as a role model could make some sense. That imitation just felt so random, though.

Bad

• Yeah, the CMC didn't get much to do even though they get a lot of screentime. And I don't remember Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo switching voices.
  • The stare could just be some stern look from a shy pony, but the shots and focus are specific (especially on her eyes) when Fluttershy uses it. So the episode implies something else unusual about the look.

The Show Stoppers

I don’t see myself much enjoying episodes where the Cutie Mark Crusaders try to get their cutie marks for most of or the entire episode only to fail. Of course they’ll fail because it’d be too easy and predictable. A cutie mark only appears when a natural ability finally becomes relevant to them, so it’s more likely to come when they don’t expect it or aren’t chasing it rather than trying a million things they probably aren’t even good at. Good advice, Rainbow Dash.

This episode is no different. It is funny because of the CMC doing something stupid, but nothing happens in the end.

Good

• The comedic bits with the CMC are funny. The montage with them trying to get their cutie marks are amusing, but nothing impressive. When they plan on trying the talent show, they want to work with areas they lack expertise in, and this obviously leads to more funny moments like Scootaloo’s bad lyrics, Sweetie Belle somehow making 5 limbs in the costume (wasn’t she looking?), and Apple Bloom falling on moving clumsily. And their lack of talent in these areas are highlighted in the actual talent show. However, this point also highlights one of the biggest problems of the episode.
    • So this positive point isn’t a huge one.
  • We get the CMC clubhouse. Also not a huge positive since it will be used again in the future anyways, but at least we got to see the origin.

Bad

• The CMC are ignorant of their own strengths and weaknesses, even of each others’. The episode takes plenty of time to show that there are certain activities each are good at. Scootaloo knows physical movements, Sweetie Belle can sing and write songs, and Apple Bloom knows carpentry and designing. For the sake of story, the 3 try their hand/hoof in activities they’re inexperienced with, and they are clearly out of their depths. I can accept that like to learn and try other things, but they’re frequently reminded to stick to their strengths. They even know that they aren’t able to handle the activities they’re bad at, and they even get help from the respective pony that knows their areas. Too bad it didn’t occur to them to ask for more help. Then again, they weren’t interested in their strong areas, but I don’t know how they expected to get better in their preferred areas overnight.
    • It’d also be too easy for the Crusaders to get a cutie mark in the activity they’re good at or they want to be good at. The viewer is told exactly what will happen, and then they’d play the waiting game.
    • This point also leads to the biggest problem of the episode…
  • …which is that this episode is pointless. The CMC aren’t any closer to getting their cutie marks mostly because they took the wrong path. As the other ponies have said, they’ll get their marks when it happens, but the fillies keep trying to force them to appear. The viewer will already know that it won’t happen before they even try because end result of getting the cutie marks will be too easy and predictable. Predictability isn’t a bad thing because how the story gets to a certain point is much more important, but it has to look reasonable and natural. And forcing something to happen unsurprisingly doesn’t look natural.
    • So the CMC try to get their marks in the montage. It’s amusing, but it’s also pointless since it adds nothing to the characters or story. In fact, the entire episode adds little to the CMC outside of trivial talents.
    • Actually, I don’t even remember if Apple Bloom does more designing/building, if Sweetie Belle does more singing/songwriting, or if Scootaloo does more physical stunts. Scootaloo’s case might be reasonable since she admires Rainbow Dash and wants to fly, but my memory is a bit fuzzy in this regard.
    • They enter a talent show and after putting on a spectacularly bad show, they think their strength is comedy. When looking at the point in which the Crusaders actually get their marks, it’s unsurprisingly not related to comedy or entertainment. Again, that’d be too easy. And the goes out of its way to show that they aren’t good comedians, anyways.

Other Stuff

• So AJ had her own clubhouse. What did she use it for?
  • I don’t remember if Twilight and Cheerilee are together in other episodes. Actually, I don’t remember if they interacted at one point, and they didn’t interact in this episode.
  • For that matter, how old is Twilight compared to Cheerilee? Maybe Cheerilee could be a very young teacher.
  • Apple Bloom failed with karate in “Call of the Cutie”, so I don’t know how or why she thinks she’d do better with it in this episode.
  • Another mention of Twilight being put in this episode for the purpose of delivering the moral.
  • What is Rainbow Dash doing in the backstage?
  • The ponies method of clapping is to trample the ground. That’s actually reasonable since they don’t have hands and are normally on all fours, but the ponies often stand on their hind legs anyways.
  • There was a minor pony in the episode named “Mr. Breezy”. Too bad he isn’t related to the breezies.
  • Another instance of Sweetie Belle “borrowing” Rarity’s stuff without asking. This time, Rarity was noticeably annoyed.
  • Twilight says “my little ponies” twice in this episode. I know there’s more instances, but this thankfully stopped in season 2, I think.
  • Cheerilee read out the awards for the talent show, with the camera going over Apple Bloom for drama, Scootaloo for comedy, and Sweetie Belle for magic. I don’t know the significance of this.

Conclusion

This episode was actually more enjoyable than the previous in some ways due to the comedic aspects, but the story is definitely worse since the CMC were oblivious to the obvious for too long. Not to mention that the talents brought up in this episode are ultimately pointless thanks in no small part to being unrealized. It’s safe to say that nothing happens, and I'm overall indifferent to this episode.

Edited by Number539
fixed some grammatical errors
  • Like 2

A Dog and Pony Show

I read “The Ransom of Red Chief” when I was younger, and those who also read it may find some similarities between these two stories. I think they have more than enough differences, and I lack interest in comparing them, anyways.

This episode also seems to be the only one that features the Diamond Dogs.

Good

• There’s finally a bit more between Rarity and Spike. Their relationship has gone largely untouched until now, and it’s also a shame that the relationship ultimately goes nowhere (or at least has been too slow). Spike loves eating gems, and was willing to lose one to find his crush, which says quite a bit about his feelings. He even fantasizes at one point, which shows what he thinks of himself and Rarity, and also what he would like their relationship to be. Spike may be a young dragon, but he wants to be a big and heroic dragon/warrior and also wants all of her admiration.
    • Rarity also seems aware of Spike’s attraction to her. When Spike was praising Sapphire Shores, Rarity shot him a jealous look. Then, she gives him the finest gem that the two dug up. And she even blinks at Spike afterward. Personally, I have no idea if that kind of blinking works in real life.
  • Rarity shows another side of herself. I won’t say the execution is great, but this episode is another bit of proof that she can use her wits in dangerous situations. In this case, she figured that she could annoy the dogs to submission.
  • The episode has a decent adventurous feel, and we don’t get that often outside of two-parters. Spike does fairly well in his first attempt to deal with the initial dogs. After the other 5 show up, the dogs also do a pretty good job of dealing with the intruders. Then they main characters all get pulled down a hole in a chain, and Pinkie amusingly figures that the chain seemed fun. Finally, more of the dogs ambush the Mane 5 underground, but the ponies manage to buck them off. I would’ve liked more danger and a bit more exploration, but it’s a good change of pace from whatever is happening in Ponyville.

Bad

• The Diamond Dogs are uninteresting. They want gems because… what did they want gems for, again? And this episode doesn’t reveal much outside of wanting gems and demanding Rarity to work.
    • The Diamond Dogs do not seem very bright as Rarity tricked them into working. But they were earlier able to deal with her friends without much hassle, so the dogs can’t be that dumb.
    • Finally, the dogs aren’t much of a threat even though they’re bigger than the ponies. They even have trouble pulling the carts while the ponies at the end don’t. Then again, the characters didn’t have too much difficulty handling the dogs. But this lack of difficulty made the conflict much less interesting.
    • Spike figured that the Diamond Dogs would take Rarity down the tunnel that had the most gems. Since the dogs can dig up gems themselves and know good places to find them (they also have gems in their pockets), what did they need Rarity for again?
  • This is yet another episode that’s very intent on pushing its moral. Hell, it was even stated twice at the end, with Twilight rewording Rarity’s prior statement.
    • Considering that, until now, they’ve dealt with a manticore, Nightmare Moon, and a dragon, the idea that a female pony won't have trouble helping herself isn’t so ridiculous in this show. And they’ll be dealing with more villains in the future, so this episode’s moral is redundant and thus pointless.
    • It’s also bizarre that Rarity’s friends don’t have much faith in her when considering the first sentence from the above. Rarity was even the first to deal a direct hit to the manticore. And Fluttershy –you know, the shy pony– didn’t seem too afraid of the possible dangers when she came along.

Other Stuff

• Why don’t the captors in both stories restrain the captors, especially after seeing how troublesome the captors are? In the case of Rarity, they could’ve gagged her as well.
  • Maybe Rarity will be less interested in finding gems, but she was already not interested in helping them.
  • “A lady is never jealous.” We’ll see about that.
  • In “The Cutie Mark Chronicles”, Rarity’s horn and magic dragged her to a rock filled with gems. Interestingly, this is how she first encounters one of the dogs and their gems.
  • I would’ve liked if Rarity also tricked the Diamond Dogs into digging at dangerous spots. Even better if she pretended that they were accidents. This did happen once when one set of dogs dug at the base of a column and found gems, but the upper portion fell on them. However, this was only presented as a standalone gag.
  • It seems that ponies with 2 separate words as names have the last word treated as a last name since Rarity called Sapphire Shores, “Miss Shores”. Twilight was even addressed as, “Miss Sparkle”. And Rarity was called, “Miss Rarity” in the beginning of the episode. I guess single-word names are simultaneously treated as first and last names.

Conclusion

The episode is overall average. There are some amusing points, there’s a slightly adventurous feel, and Rarity and Spike get some follow-up. But this overall story didn’t need to be told, at least not in this fashion.

• Like 1

Green Isn’t Your Color

The episode feels more “girly” than other episodes so far, especially in the beginning with the spa treatments, and they even made it seem interesting due to the interaction between Rarity and Fluttershy.

Thankfully, this episode is also a very nice step up from the previous few episodes.

Good

• Rarity and Fluttershy have meaningful interactions in the episode. They talked a bit about fashion in “Suited For Success”, but it wasn’t too much in there. Here, we see how they both maintain their looks in the spa during the beginning with Rarity getting a full treatment and Fluttershy getting a modest one. Fluttershy doesn’t seem like a hardcore fashion aficionado since she wasn’t familiar with Photo Finish. Then again, Rarity had to spill some exposition somehow. Even though Fluttershy doesn’t like attention, she was willing to model for Rarity and continue her modeling career. Rarity also considers Fluttershy beautiful and graceful, so there’s mutual respect between these two ponies. But we even see a more meaningful side of Rarity’s.
  • Unlike more than a few of the season 1 episodes, there are meaningful events happening in the story instead of just a straight path to learning the moral of the episode. We see how the characters work with adverse situations, and we get their thoughts and feelings about their respective positions. And there’s more to the episode than just the problem with jealousy.
    • Rarity wants fame and attention, and she believed that Photo Finish could help with that. But she learns that Photo Finish was more interested in Fluttershy. At first, Rarity denies her feelings, but she’s later unable to ignore them (even fuming at times) with Fluttershy’s rising popularity. She thinks that Fluttershy is enjoying her newfound success and doesn’t want her to think a close friend dislikes her for it. Rarity even talks to Twilight about her jealousy and wants her to keep it a secret for this reason. Near the end, Rarity attends one of Fluttershy’s show in hopes of seeing her friend fail. Rarity even enjoys the embarrassing display at first, but she quickly feels guilty and immediately cheers for Fluttershy after all other ponies were booing. This ultimately leads her to admit her true inner feelings of the whole situation. This in turn causes Fluttershy to admit her feelings to Rarity.
      • Fluttershy is normally withdrawn, so someone should’ve speculated that she might not enjoy being a model. It makes some degree of sense in Rarity’s case since she has always wanted to be famous and only thinks of the positives that comes with it. So, I’ll just go with it.
    • Fluttershy cares a lot Rarity and wants to help her, and she continues to be a model since Rarity suggested so. Obviously, she doesn’t enjoy her new job and fame due to her shy nature, but she has to keep pushing herself so Rarity will be happy. Obviously, that’s not what happens for both ponies, but Fluttershy also didn’t say anything to Rarity due to not wanting to disappoint her friend and instead tells Twilight. Unsurprisingly, Fluttershy would much rather spend time at the spa with her friend(s).
  • Twilight gets a lesser but not minor role in this episode of being the confidant. I’m sure many think that she could’ve dropped hints instead of saying nothing like Pinkie suggested, but Rarity and Fluttershy need to come to their realizations and confessions on their own. Sure Twilight could suggest they talk, but Rarity’s feelings when rushing to Fluttershy in the backstage becomes a more genuine movement after noticing that the wish for Fluttershy’s failure doesn’t look so appealing without someone else prodding her. Fluttershy’s incentive to confess also becomes genuine after Rarity conveyed her emotions on her own. And Twilight is still learning about friendship, so her struggle to keep a secret while wanting to help her friends makes sense. That’s why she’s sending letters to an absent alicorn.
  • Photo Finish is a fun one-shot character. She’s something of a typical vain upper-class character by being demanding and loving attention, and she quickly brushes aside Rarity after discovering Fluttershy even though she was interested in Rarity’s outfits at first. There isn’t much to her mainly due to being unexplored, but her accent and hamminess makes her memorable.
    • She even has her own catchy theme.
  • Small mention of Spike’s feelings for Rarity being continued.

Bad

• Pinkie Pie should’ve learned that some secrets are worth sharing. She was making Twilight pretty miserable by following her around. Thus, her antics became repetitive even if they were funny. Even her mirror scene was a bit much.
  • Twilight’s role is mostly being a sounding board, but this is a minor complaint since she goes through her own struggle of trying to figure out a way to help her friends. I don’t know if there’s a better character in the episode for Fluttershy or Rarity to confide in, anyways. I’d like to think Twilight learned that some secrets are worth sharing if the letter is anything to go by. And I also think it’s worth showing different ways in which keeping a secret can be troublesome.

Other Stuff

• Photo Finish was later added to the show’s intro, so I’m surprised she didn’t get more speaking roles in future episodes.
  • Pinkie zipped her mouth and buried a key. Last time I checked, zippers don’t need keys.
  • The Pinkie Pie Swear is later renamed as the Pinkie Promise. I guess they like alliteration.
  • I still think it’s weird that Twilight thought she should put her hoof into her open eye. At the very least, she didn’t need to make contact.
  • How amusing that the audience in Fluttershy’s final showing mindlessly agree with Rarity instead of sticking to their own judgments. Then again, I don’t imagine this being uncommon in real life, anyways.
  • Twilight caused Fluttershy’s clumsiness, but couldn’t Fluttershy just act clumsy herself?
  • Like in “Sonic Rainboom”, there’s another instance of some encouragement doing the opposite. Then again, Fluttershy’s shyness is what appealed to Photo Finish and the crowd in the first place.
  • It’s funny that no pony in the future seems to remember Fluttershy being a model. I guess her fame didn’t go on as long as it seems.
  • When Fluttershy was venting, i.e. “screaming” and “kicking”, did she intentionally hold back or was she unable to vent loudly anyways?
  • 4 season later, Pinkie will see how hard keeping secrets can be.
  • What do you think happened during the thing at the place?

Conclusion

One of the more enjoyable episodes of season 1, and maybe even one of my favorites of the entire show.

• Like 1

Over a Barrel

I don’t remember Braeburn being mentioned or shown in the premiere, but I’m not against family expansion.

I’m also not into history, so I’ll be looking more at how the episode works by itself. In this case, the episode wasn’t too great.

Good

• Appleoosa and Braeburn are first introduced in this episode. I’m not against seeing more of Equestria, and even family members like AJ’s cousin. There isn’t too much on Braeburn mainly because he doesn’t get to do much outside of some exposition and showing the town around, but at least the episode shows he’s nice and energetic, so he wasn’t boring, either.
  • We see some another species with the buffalos being Native American-like, and it’s always nice to see another tribe of civilized animals living with ponies. However, I also don’t have much to say about these guys.
  • I have problems with the battle sequence toward the end, but it was still fun to watch. One buffalo ramming into a pile of hay that was concealing an anvil is worth a mention.

Bad

• There are a lot of pointless elements in this episode.
    • Little Strongheart is physically competent and manages to evade RD while giving her plenty of trouble. But she does nothing for the rest of the episode outside of some exposition. She was also about to converse with Braeburn about their species’ respective problems. This could’ve provided some interesting interaction since there’s a pony and a buffalo who seem to be willing to cooperate, but that goes nowhere as well since AJ and RD step in even though they don’t really have much of a stake in the problem.
    • If anything, Little Strongheart and Braeburn only exist to provide exposition. Neither do much in trying to convince their respective tribes to not fight the other.
    • Rainbow Dash gets a head injury after trying to chase the young buffalo. The episode brings this up a few times in the beginning, but this also gets forgotten.
  • The Mane 6 aren’t even important to the episode. First, they just hear the problems the two sides are having and mostly do nothing about it. When the Appleoosans and buffalos are getting ready for a fight, the Mane 6 just stand around. Maybe there could’ve been a lesson about getting into and trying to solve someone else’s problem, but that’s not what happened.
    • Spike accidentally gets transported to the buffalos and says that they worship dragons. This also has no meaning in the episode as Spike does nothing of importance.
    • Rarity and Fluttershy also do nothing in the episode, though the latter gets an amusing scene when jumping onto Pinkie Pie. That's still not good enough, of course.
    • Twilight is just there for the letter, which is a season 1 episode requirement.
    • Pinkie Pie tries to sing a song about them needing to share. For some reason, the settlers and buffalos completely ignore it. I get that singing by itself doesn’t solve problems, but Pinkie had a point behind her song, so I don’t know what anyone else was thinking or hearing. Also, I’m pretty sure the settlers and buffalos need to communicate first before coming to some kind of agreement.
    • AJ knows Braeburn, and RD hears some of the buffalos’ side of the story, but they also ultimately do nothing outside of arguing for the two sides even though, again, this problem has little to do with them.
  • The resolution to the problem is random and too easy. Things get better when the buffalo chief was hit in the face by apple pie, and he finds it delicious. Since he likes the taste so much, he decides to let the apple trees stay, but the Appleoosans agree to cut down a few trees so the buffalos can run through them per tradition.
    • The buffalos felt that their territory was invaded when the ponies came along, so I don’t know how good food solves that problem.
    • The episode keept saying that they’d have to relocate the trees, but that’s not what happened at the end. And if the Appleoosans only needed to move a few trees instead, why was this option never considered?

Other Stuff

• How did the buffalos even know the train had an apple tree?
  • The train had multiple carts, but we only see the Mane 6 inside. I guess it was transporting a lot of heavy objects.
  • I also like the pun with the “horse-drawn, horse-drawn carriages”.
  • Since ponies pull vehicles, do the passengers and drivers switch positions often like in the episode?
  • And why were ponies needed to pull the train? The train itself is already fueled by coal since there was smoke coming out.

Conclusion

There are some enjoyable things, but this episode is pretty lousy. I doubt the Mane 6 were even needed for this story.

• Like 1

A Bird in the Hoof

When I first read the premise of this episode, I was hoping that Celestia would get some meaningful screentime since she has done nothing until this point. Sure the premise mentioned her pet bird, but princess can play some role, right?

*sigh*

I had to get my hopes up. Even ignoring that wasted potential, this episode wasn’t very good. And being aware of this alicorn’s fate as the show goes on, especially in the most recent seasons, makes the episode a bit painful to rewatch.

Also, I’ll take some time to bitch about Celestia in this post since my complaints are somewhat relevant. Enjoy.

Good

• The episode features a phoenix, and don’t we like seeing mythological creatures? I would’ve liked to see more of Philomena or even phoenixes in general. We do get another in season 2 which also disappears quickly. At least in here, we see (and confirmed by Celestia) that Philomena is playful and mischievous .
  • The chase scene is worth a mention. Philomena even drew a mustache over her picture in the poster. I don’t know how Fluttershy and Twilight can’t recognize a naked bird with a mustache, but it’s for comedy, so whatever.
    • Philomena even plays dead on top of the statue and then bursts into flames. Now that’s an over-the-top death.
  • Celestia gets some screentime and we see how other characters view her. The characters, at least the main characters sans Pinkie, want to appeal to her and stay on her good side, and all this makes them feel uneasy around her. The Cakes try to make sure the alicorn has something to eat or drink, and Rarity even wears her (planned) gala dress to the brunch. Twilight gets nervous about what her mentor might think since she thinks that she might not even approve of Fluttershy and that Celestia may consider handing out harsh punishments for anyone who might wrong her even in the smallest manner. Pinkie is just her usual self, which Celestia doesn’t seem to mind at all.
    • As interesting as all that sounded, it’s too bad all this ultimately means nothing, which I’ll get to later. Thus, I really don't want to count this stuff as a positive, but I suppose I should be fair since it's early into the show, and there was still some effort even though it stops later.

Bad

• Nothing much happens. Celestia introduces her seemingly sick bird, Fluttershy tries to nurse it back to health, Twilight happens to find out, Philomena causes more trouble, but everything works out after some clarifications. That’s pretty much it. The stuff with Fluttershy and later Twilight trying to help the phoenix and the chase all take up a huge bulk of the story. One could argue that Twilight’s reaction to the situation could be meaningful, but I’ll mention why that stuff ultimately means nothing in the next bullet.
  • I suppose this flaw is more of a flaw of the show instead of the episode, but I think this is a fine time to express some of my viewpoints. To continue from the “good” section, most, if not all, of what is shown concerning Princess Celestia is ultimately meaningless.
    • The biggest problem is that all of this only says what the characters think of Celestia, which is not the same as showing what she thinks or feels. There’s an implication that she’s aware of their thoughts with the tea scene, but this ultimately goes nowhere. On the other hand, the characters’ viewpoints and thoughts can be useful, but there’s also no follow-up on this. If I have said that the alicorn was doing nothing throughout the show, I should correct myself and say that’s not completely true because there is also screentime of her doing things, and that eventually leads to her being portrayed as someone so useless, incompetent, and inconsequential that I wonder why any of the ponies think highly of her.
    • Princess Celestia gets almost no meaningful interaction with any of the Mane 6 except Twilight, and even her relationship with Twilight is a mystery. Twilight thinks highly of the alicorn and wants to please her, but we don’t know what Celestia thinks of her student other than, “She’s a faithful student.” Even before Twilight becomes an alicorn, we don’t see these two ponies in more personal settings with each other outside of a season 2 episode. So not only do we not see if Twilight’s nervousness is reasonable, it also makes no sense for previously stated reasons and from their interaction in “Lesson Zero”, and whatever Twilight may feel about her mentor after season 3 is only a step away from apathy.
    • For the episode, Celestia doesn’t explain herself from the start. Doesn’t she think it might look unusual to other ponies, especially if they’re not at all familiar with Philomena? There is the lesson of “not jumping to conclusions”, but this is more of a communication problem on both sides. And I’m not sure Celestia took anything away from this.
    • I know someone will say that Celestia not being a main character means that this isn’t much of a problem. This still doesn’t justify her poor treatment. And she also has a major connection with the main character of the show. If Celestia wasn’t supposed to be important to the show, why connect her to Twilight in the beginning?
    • Bottom line: the episode reminds me too well of the creators being piss-poor with this character. As of this writing, with 6 year, 6 seasons, 143 episodes, and over 3000 minutes, I have to wonder what their excuse is. I don’t imagine myself being done with my complaints about her, but I don’t want to make this too long.

Other Stuff

• I wondered if Twilight has seen Philomena before this episode, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
  • Too bad Philomena doesn’t reappear.
  • Philomena’s generic cartoon bird cry is a tad underwhelming. I guess that’s because I always imagined a phoenix to be majestic and mysterious, but the phoenix in this show mostly seems like a fancy bird. I guess Philomena isn’t that different from her owner.
  • Fluttershy’s big grin scene is still random as Hell.
  • Oh yeah, I remember the guards appeared in this episode. They certainly took the lessons from Celestia to heart.
  • Celestia sips all of tea in one attempt, but only she only took a small bite out of a cupcake. I guess she was more thirsty.
  • She also conveniently gets called away. How appropriate.

Conclusion

An uneventful episode literally and figuratively.

I sort of hate this episode even though it was only average. I guess how Celestia has been handled really pisses me off.

Edited by Number539
fixed major wording problems
  • Like 1

It looks like posting is possible again. In the mean time, I wrote my reviews for a few other episodes, so at least I can put them up more regularly.

The Cutie Mark Chronicles

The CMC may have been featured in here wanting to know how to get their cutie marks and asking certain ponies about their own experiences, but that premise is obviously just an excuse to show the backstories of the Mane 6. That’s completely fine by me because who doesn’t want to know more about a character, especially through their history?

Good

• To reiterate, we get the backstories of the Mane 6 and how they obtained their cutie marks. In other words, 6 small stories in 22 minutes, and the time is used efficiently. And all of the stories make sense for the respective character. However, I’m a bit nitpicky about some of these stories, but I’ll get to those in the next section.
    • Applejack wants to live in the big city with her relatives appropriately named the Oranges. Unfortunately, we aren’t exactly told why she wanted to live away from the farm, but in a way, the reason doesn’t matter since she’ll go back there. The point of AJ’s story was that she isn’t suited for a city life, and she didn’t realize how much she loved the farm until she left it. And this leads to her being the hardworking farm pony she is now.
    • In Fluttershy’s story, she was already familiar with Rainbow Dash even as a filly, or they at least went to the same school. She isn’t much of a flyer and encounters the same bullies that showed up in “Sonic Rainboom”.  The bullies challenge RD to a race, and Fluttershy is the one holding the flag to signal the start of the race (I don’t know what that position is called). The racers knock Fluttershy out of Cloudsdale, and she gets her apparent first exposure to the ground. She is enraptured by her first encounter with the animals and, even in her own words, somehow has the ability to communicate with them.
    • Rarity was already passionate for designing as a filly, but she also had high expectations and wants to make a major impression on others. The magic in her horn triggers and drags her to a large rock containing a bunch of gems, and she immediately figures out how to improve her costume designs. This is met with a very positive response from the audience and the teacher.
    • Twilight was impressed by a certain alicorn using her own magic to raise the sun, and this inspires her to learn more about magic so she could pull similar feats. She was accepted to one of Celestia’s schools, but she also had to pass an entrance exam by hatching a dragon egg. Twilight was unable to do so initially, but the Sonic Rainboom startles her and somehow amplifies her spellcasting ability. It turns out she has the potential to be a very powerful sorceress, which Celestia discovers and wants to teach Twilight herself.
      • The episode is also the first to show and later run with her “adorkable” side.
    • Pinkie Pie’s family lives a slow and colorless life, but she found the Sonic Rainboom to be a delightful view. In fact, the event even gave the scene a brighter color. She enjoyed her joyful feeling and wants to share it with others, and she starts by livening up her home with a party. Even her “no smiling” family became delighted.
    • Rainbow Dash enjoyed her high-speed flight and the competition, and she flew fast enough to cause a Sonic Rainboom which would also affect the ponies that become her friends in the future.
  • Scootaloo gets fleshed out. The CMC together only had 2 episodes before this, and they were practically interchangeable characters in the two episodes (very slightly less so in “The Show Stoppers”). Only Scootaloo gets some characterization out of the 3 in this episode, and that’s fine for now. She is more into the “cool” and exciting stories and thus dismisses all of the stories from the Mane 6 except Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo even gags over the Mane 6 hugging at the end. Though I do have some problems with this at the same time.

Bad

• If Fluttershy’s narration is anything to go by, she hasn’t interacted with animals before, so somehow being comfortable with them seems so random. Since she is also only pony in the show to directly work with animals, this can come off as even more random already. At the very least, this isn’t a pointless ability like the Pinkie Sense, and the point of her story isn’t about how or why she can do this, so the complaint isn’t a huge one. I guess she’s a child/filly prodigy.
  • Twilight’s sudden power surge doesn’t make much sense. As a filly, she even struggled to turn a page with her magic. It’s possible that she has always been a pony with plenty of inherent magic, but how does being startled suddenly unleash everything? Like if a man tries to bench press a very heavy weight but can’t, will being startled by a sudden loud noise help him lift the barbell above his head?
    • I’ll also admit that I don’t care that much for Twilight’s history. Being gifted with spellcasting and magic aren’t bad traits to have, and those traits can also be used in combat-like settings or stories. However, I don’t like how the show has used those elements in the 2-parters. I did like this backstory better when I first saw this episode because I still hoped that the show could hone itself with the more “epic” stories. But now when I consider the 2-parters, I would rather want Twilight to be proficient in something else, or at least not be a major vessel of magic. Or maybe just have the Mane 6 avoid those “epic” stories entirely.
  • There’s also a continuity error worth mentioning (and previously pointed out to me) as the bullies in “Sonic Rainboom” are the same ones that challenged RD to a race, and they are in denial about the event even though they were right next to it. RD did knock them around during the race, but the Rainboom went on for a while and covered a fair distance. It’s pretty hard to miss unless the bullies were unconscious, in the filly’s room, or have terrible memories. Then again, there’s a bunch of other ponies that saw a rainbow streak from Rainbow Dash, so how come they don’t seem to remember this some number of years later?
  • Even though Scootaloo got more characterization, she was being ridiculously dismissive and ignorant about the stories from the Mane 6 sans Rainbow Dash. She even figured out the common theme behind all of them and throws that out. Scootaloo, don’t you think there’s a reason this theme keeps coming up?
  • Personally, I’m not too receptive of the idea that these 6 ponies were predestined to be friends since that would mean they were forced into their positions from a storytelling perspective. If they were naturally on the road to meeting each other anyways, that would’ve been fine, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Other Stuff

• The CMC zip line due to a suggestion from Spike. I don’t think we’ve seen him zip line in the show.
  • I'm not surprised that Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle think their sisters are the coolest ponies, but it's still a touching... touch.
  • Sweetie Belle and AB thinking that Fluttershy is the “greatest flyer from Cloudsdale” is kind of amusing.
  • Too bad Twilight was excluded from Apple Bloom and Sweetie guessing the “coolest pony”.
  • AJ said she was last in her class to get cutie mark, but here she said she got it when she was “littler” than them. Looks like another error.
  • AJ only got a taste of sophisticated life, so her uncertainty around Celestia in the previous episode makes sense.
  • Applejack got around Manehattan just fine, yet she thinks AB needs protection at times (though admittedly this doesn’t come up too often). She needs to have more confidence in AB.
  • The ponies in Manehattan could fit in with the Canterlot residents with their snobby attitude.
  • The rabbits didn’t like AJ’s story, either.
  • Fluttershy talks about being shy when younger. She must’ve ignored her own name for a long time.
  • For some reason, no pony flies to Fluttershy's rescue when she falls out of the clouds. There were witnesses, too.
  • Also, she knew about the Sonic Rainboom, but she somehow doesn't know that RD won the race.
  • Fluttershy never saw the animals on/near the ground? She must’ve loved the clouds.
  • Fluttershy also makes a very weird face when singing “honey”. It’s still awkward to look at.
  • It seems that Cheerilee is around the same age as Rarity since she showed up in the latter’s flashback. They must not have been good classmates.
  • Rarity’s horn activates and drags her up and down some hills. Why not high into the sky and directly to the rock?
  • I’d like to see how the CMC encountered Twilight.
  • Lyra and Minuette are adults in Twilight’s flashback. I can accept this error.
  • Scootaloo apparently thinks Celestia is boring since she wasn’t interested in hearing Twilight’s story.
  • Why does Celestia need to make a show out of raising the sun, anyways?
  • Little did Twilight know, she’d completely surpass her mentor. This doesn't amuse me.
  • Twilight was forced to hatch an egg. I thought they’re supposed to hatch on their own.
  • Why were the test conductors such assholes, anyways?
  • It won’t be long before we learn “how Equestria was made.”
  • I didn’t expect to see Pinkie’s old hair style soon after this episode.
  • I was trying to think of anything else I had to say about the Sonic Rainboom after this episode, but I think my comments from the respective episode pretty much covers everything.
  • Fluttershy might the oldest since she was the largest physically in the flashback. Her “one year older” line in “Griffon the Brush-Off” has been confirmed.
  • Rainbow Dash’s story makes it sound like that was the first time she flew fast or was competitive. Otherwise, she wouldn’t have a reason to race the bullies. Then again, she was probably trying to add flavor to the story. It’s also interesting that she didn’t seem uncertain about racing like in “Fall Weather Friends” or “Sonic Rainboom”.
  • I doubt think Scootaloo would think that the CMC got their marks in a “cool” fashion when it does finally happen.

Conclusion

I have some complaints about this episode, and they’re arguably nitpicks with one being a personal bias, but I still enjoyed it very much since we get to learn more about the main characters and how they got to where they are now. This is definitely a season one highlight

Edited by Number539
fixed some errors
  • Like 1