Number95

Another MLP:FIM review thread

11 hours ago, Number? said:

I think AJ was more interested in earning blue ribbons as she mentions those first and more often, and she was more concerned about looking stupid even to her friends for not getting a single 1st place prize if her lines were anything to go by. Being unable to earn money was salt to the wound, so she took a temporary job to lessen the backlash she thought she would've received.

I don't think that was the primary motive as she had vowed she would get them prized money and the whole job with the cherry farm was her to earn money for the town hall. I feel if she had gotten the money she wanted for the rodeo, she wouldn't have minded if she weren't first. It would sting but not as bad as not earning any money from it.

• Like 1

A friend in deed is to me an example of how everything in an episode works but one thing, Pinkie Pie, is so problematic that it spoils anyone's enjoyment for the episode. Nice review, number

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 0:49 PM, Nuke87654 said:

A friend in deed is to me an example of how everything in an episode works but one thing, Pinkie Pie, is so problematic that it spoils anyone's enjoyment for the episode. Nice review, number

Yup. Pinkie was meant to come off as a nice and friendly pony, but her actions in the episode make seem everything but nice and friendly.  If it wasn't for the song, it'd be a pretty bad episode. Actually, the song ends around the 6-minute mark, so only about the first third of the episode is worth watching.

• Like 1

Putting Your Hoof Down

Hm, after writing my review for “A Royal Problem” and “Celestial Advice”, I think I’ll try switching my style of reviewing. One of the reasons I previously formatted my review the way I did is to make it easier to read. The stuff I liked is found in one section, the stuff I disliked in another, one for random commentary as I always have them, and just a short section summarizing my thoughts. But it’s not the easiest for me to type out as I always have random thoughts, and sometimes my feelings are not completely positive, negative, or even straightforward, which can muddy the sections. So I’ll try the approach similar to the one for “A Royal Problem”. I recap the stuff that happens in the episode, and I give whatever (important enough) thoughts I have as well as other random thoughts. If this turns out easier for me to type out, I’ll probably stick to that unless I happen to have a change of heart for whatever reason. Apologies for the rough edges and chaos.

As for this one, I remember the episode getting plenty of heat. Fluttershy has been a pony that lived up to her name, and overcoming shyness is an obstacle many people want to get over. So it’d make sense for this to be applied to the pegasus. I can’t say that that many episodes have actually put her lack of backbone in the front, though. There’s the premiere where she was too shy, and that was dropped for good reason. Then there’s “Dragonshy” which tried too hard at times, and that was more of Fluttreshy getting over a specific fear. “Griffon the Brush-Off” came earlier, and Gilda was already being a dick which wouldn’t have helped matters anyways. And then “Sonic Rainboom” had a notable scene of Fluttershy pushing herself to defend RD.

Since this is Fluttershy having to overcome shyness, this is the third instance. Or fourth if you want to count assertiveness in general as there’s “The Stare Master” as well, though circumstances were a little different when considering that episode. Take your pick.

As for the episode, Fluttershy is feeding her animals. Some of the animals didn’t seem to pay much notice to her which is strange when considering her main skill, but whatever. And what’s she feeding them, anyways? Vegetable pills? Angel is next, but he kicks the bowl which lands on Fluttershy’s head. Fluttershy tries a bowl of actual greens, and her line makes it seem like she’s given this to Angel before, so I don’t know why exactly Angel doesn’t want it. He has eaten carrots before, so I don’t know why he couldn’t just pick those. And he claims that the other stuff makes him sick, which is definitely not true as he ended up enjoying them at the end of the episode. It seems he is oblivious to the saying, “You’ll never know unless you try.” Angel really wants a fancy vegetable bowl for… some reason. Well, we need a problem for Fluttershy, so this will have to do it. He even slaps Fluttershy, which is a pretty ungrateful attitude to have over the one whose job is to help him survive. In “Dragonshy”, I remember Angel refused to finish his carrot after Fluttershy told him to slow down, and then he also tossed the carrot at her head when the she noticed the smoke after too much prodding. So this nasty attitude has happened before, but not to this extreme.

A really strange shopping sequence follows. Fluttershy tries to buy asparagus, but a pony quickly goes to the front and leaves. Fluttershy tries to call out that pony for cutting in line, but she loses her own spot to some old pony because of that. She probably shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of this because she wouldn’t have lost her place in line to the old guy and later the valley girls/ponies. Where did those valley ponies even come from, anyways? I’ll admit that I really don’t valley girl characters as they’re just too obnoxious with the voices and speech pattern only adding to the problem. She backs away from the continuing trouble (more on that later), and Rarity and Pinkie Pie notice that Fluttershy wasn’t willing to face her problems. This is really strange as Fluttershy was willing to confront the bullies in “Sonic Rainboom”, but she didn’t try to push herself in this case, so all the stuff that happens in this episode was just for the sake of learning to be more assertive.

Since I just said that, I might as well comment on the obvious: Ponyville ponies acting like dicks for the sake of story. It’s really just another instance of the show trying to push a certain lesson or moral instead of telling a story at feels natural within the context of the show, so this isn’t an unusual flaw. It still isn’t a good thing, of course. Like with Ponyville falling into random dangers in “The Mysterious Mare Do Well”, the show has done worse. Remember what happens to a certain princess whenever a major villain appears? At least this and “The Mysterious Mare Do Well” are standalone cases. Celestia’s uselessness is a CONTINUAL case. That’s the main reason I’m not overly irritated about the other ponies being random ass holes.

Continuing with the episode, Fluttershy tries to get the last bit of asparagus (what happened to the other bunches, btw?) only for yet another pony to suddenly beat her to it. I don’t know if this just happens to be a bad day of shopping for Fluttershy as she can’t even get a single piece of asparagus. Seriously, where the hell did that other buyer come from? As Fluttershy is still unwilling to assert herself now and later with the tomatoes, Rarity and Pinkie Pie try to help the pegasus with some examples. I’d like to point out they used deception over assertiveness. Rarity charmed a nerdy pony, and Pinkie Pie had to trick the tomato seller. Deception can still be a way to confront troublesome people/ponies, but it’s not the same as assertiveness. As for the tomato seller, she clearly has a sign that charges 3 tomatoes for 2 bits, so I don’t know how Fluttershy believed otherwise or missed the sign. And that tomato pony was willing to haggle, so why have the sign at all?

Only a cherry is left, and Fluttershy for some reason said that she really needed it, which convinced the merchant to charge a ludicrous price. Intriguingly, Fluttershy saying something unnecessary got her into trouble with the cherry and later with Angel as the rabbit didn’t even notice the missing cherry until the pegasus said it. And why are small cherries sold in singles? Are they sold in bulk at the very least? I can’t imagine a pony thinking about buying cherries only to settle for a lone one that they can finish on the spot. And why was that merchant being a dick about the price in the first place? He even accepts a low price from a separate buyer, and I honestly doubt that he wanted to teach Fluttershy to be assertive even when taking his last statement into account. I also don’t know how Fluttershy screwed up with the haggling when she was looking for a cheaper price.

Fluttershy fails to get the last cherry and tries to feed Angel, but Angel refuses even though the cherry wouldn’t add much overall flavor. The bunny kicks out Fluttershy (seriously?), and she learns about Iron Will and his seminar. Having the “Celestia is my witness” line doesn’t make sense, btw.

The seminar itself has a huge crowd for some reason. I don’t know if they all have communication problems or if they were curious about the event. Actually, I doubt they need this as they threw Fluttershy to the back and were already willing to be volunteers. She also has a hard time seeing the front, but she forgets about flying (and again later). Iron Will’s main method involves rhyming advices, but his stage example is weird. If someone gets in the way, you go around them. Maybe it was for more extreme cases when considering his own approach and the goat refusing to move, but I don’t know why anyone would waste their time consciously blocking someone else’s path unless they’re a bored bully. Also, the crowd looked friendly again when Iron Will called for Fluttershy as those ponies were all smiling and later cheering for Fluttershy, so… it was still another example of being dicks for the sake of the episode. Those ponies should’ve said that they were trying to help Fluttershy along, but being fictional characters with specific roles and fates prevent them from doing that.

So the pegasus learns some assertiveness, and I wonder how much time has passed. Fluttershy was feeding the animals lunch at the start of the episode, and I doubt the session takes only 10 minutes. So this all somehow takes only a few hours. She meets her gardener who claims to be a professional one even though he doesn’t look at the flowers while watering them, so he is a blatant liar. She tries to cross a bridge, and those background ponies are idiots for blocking the bridge at all. I still don’t know why Fluttershy doesn’t use her wings, but maybe she still wants to apply the advices she got. She gets to Sugarcube Corner and deals with a random ass hole pony of the episode. What were the ponies even lining up for? And what was Rarity doing there? Pinkie offers punch to Fluttershy and laughs. Fluttershy somehow sees this as a mocking act (no really, why?), dumps the punch on the party pony, and promptly leaves. What was she even doing there at all? Was she going to buy anything? Why did she think nothing of THROWING JUICE OVER HER FRIEND? What did she want a taxi for? Couldn’t she fly to her desired location? Apparently that’s her cottage, which she walked from moments before. I don’t know, whatever.

She finds that the mailpony got the addresses wrong, and that mailpony turns out to have vision problems. How the hell is he keeping his job? Then some random tourist asks for direction, but Fluttershy didn’t remember the letter in her mouth and blames the tourist because… I got nothing. Amusingly, the tourist was thrown to the location he wanted to visit. Pinkie and Rarity can’t accept this new behavior and confront Fluttershy, who proceeds to insult her friends and their passions. Considering that a pony has to spend a fair amount of their life to find their passion and some specific symbol to show next to their butts, this is a pretty big deal. This is a very bad scene because, starting with the obvious, she’s insulting her friends. The episode tries to make it look like she’s simply misapplying Iron Will’s tips, but what exactly was Fluttershy so angry about? She thinks they want her to be a pushover again, but they’re her friends and want to help her. Why was Fluttershy suddenly so against them? Pinkie and Rarity didn’t even do anything questionable during the scene, so I have no idea what Fluttershy was thinking. Even worse is that her tirade goes for a fair while and quickly gets personal, so this hardly just seems like Fluttershy being angry about… whatever it is she’s angry about. One interesting touch is that she was flying as she was saying all this.

She goes back to her cottage, and plenty of time seems to have passed since her plants have withered. Has Angel eaten anything, by the way? Rarity and Pinkie pay a visit and pin the blame on Iron Will. For some reason, they keep calling him a “monster” even though they’ve never met the guy before this point. They also barely interact with the guy and still call him a monster after he leaves when he didn’t do anything ridiculous. The worst he does is drop Pinkie into the mud. Maybe Pinkie took major issue with that. And how is any of what Fluttershy did out of her own free will Iron Will’s fault? Even the episode has no answer to that. At least Fluttershy took responsibility for her mistakes.

The minotaur arrives to collect his due, and Pinkie Pie almost sends him away until Fluttershy sneezes. He rips down the boards nailed to the door and then just knocks. The way this scene plays out is actually quite funny as it looked like he was about to smash the door. Fluttershy comes out and displays some genuine assertiveness as she kept composure while explaining herself, so at least she followed the letter that will later be sent to Celestia. And the main ponies of the episode reconcile.

Pretty lousy episode, though I can’t say it’s among my least favorites. You can easily find previous episodes I like less than this one.

Fluttershy’s actions after Iron Will’s session and even Iron Will himself to a degree are underpowered. She starts acting extreme right off the bat, so I don’t know if that minotaur offered genuine advice or advocated aggressiveness instead. The episode tries to claim that she was being aggressive instead of assertive, but she jumps immediately to the former without showing how exactly she mistakes one for the other. Another way to put this is that she starts off meek and immediately acts like a dick right after. There’s no actual “transition” aside from learning Iron Will’s tips off-screen, so the episode only says why she acted the way she did instead of showing it. And the worst part is that she was directly attacking her friends who didn’t do anything to warrant such a response, and no reason was given for Fluttershy’s obliviousness other than “taking the advice too far”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

There were some things to enjoy about Iron Will, though. One of his goats noticed Fluttershy staying low and chose her as she’s one who definitely needs some his advice, so his help is genuine. And he’s a reasonable guy as he didn’t ask for payment after Fluttershy claimed dissatisfaction and even took some new advice from his most recent client. On that note, has any of his clients lied about being dissatisfied so they don’t have to lose money?

At least Fluttershy will learn to push herself over the show. Somewhat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Number? said:

Putting Your Hoof Down

Hm, after writing my review for “A Royal Problem” and “Celestial Advice”, I think I’ll try switching my style of reviewing. One of the reasons I previously formatted my review the way I did is to make it easier to read. The stuff I liked is found in one section, the stuff I disliked in another, one for random commentary as I always have them, and just a short section summarizing my thoughts. But it’s not the easiest for me to type out as I always have random thoughts, and sometimes my feelings are not completely positive, negative, or even straightforward, which can muddy the sections. So I’ll try the approach similar to the one for “A Royal Problem”. I recap the stuff that happens in the episode, and I give whatever (important enough) thoughts I have as well as other random thoughts. If this turns out easier for me to type out, I’ll probably stick to that unless I happen to have a change of heart for whatever reason. Apologies for the rough edges and chaos.

As for this one, I remember the episode getting plenty of heat. Fluttershy has been a pony that lived up to her name, and overcoming shyness is an obstacle many people want to get over. So it’d make sense for this to be applied to the pegasus. I can’t say that that many episodes have actually put her lack of backbone in the front, though. There’s the premiere where she was too shy, and that was dropped for good reason. Then there’s “Dragonshy” which tried too hard at times, and that was more of Fluttreshy getting over a specific fear. “Griffon the Brush-Off” came earlier, and Gilda was already being a dick which wouldn’t have helped matters anyways. And then “Sonic Rainboom” had a notable scene of Fluttershy pushing herself to defend RD.

Since this is Fluttershy having to overcome shyness, this is the third instance. Or fourth if you want to count assertiveness in general as there’s “The Stare Master” as well, though circumstances were a little different when considering that episode. Take your pick.

As for the episode, Fluttershy is feeding her animals. Some of the animals didn’t seem to pay much notice to her which is strange when considering her main skill, but whatever. And what’s she feeding them, anyways? Vegetable pills? Angel is next, but he kicks the bowl which lands on Fluttershy’s head. Fluttershy tries a bowl of actual greens, and her line makes it seem like she’s given this to Angel before, so I don’t know why exactly Angel doesn’t want it. He has eaten carrots before, so I don’t know why he couldn’t just pick those. And he claims that the other stuff makes him sick, which is definitely not true as he ended up enjoying them at the end of the episode. It seems he is oblivious to the saying, “You’ll never know unless you try.” Angel really wants a fancy vegetable bowl for… some reason. Well, we need a problem for Fluttershy, so this will have to do it. He even slaps Fluttershy, which is a pretty ungrateful attitude to have over the one whose job is to help him survive. In “Dragonshy”, I remember Angel refused to finish his carrot after Fluttershy told him to slow down, and then he also tossed the carrot at her head when the she noticed the smoke after too much prodding. So this nasty attitude has happened before, but not to this extreme.

A really strange shopping sequence follows. Fluttershy tries to buy asparagus, but a pony quickly goes to the front and leaves. Fluttershy tries to call out that pony for cutting in line, but she loses her own spot to some old pony because of that. She probably shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of this because she wouldn’t have lost her place in line to the old guy and later the valley girls/ponies. Where did those valley ponies even come from, anyways? I’ll admit that I really don’t valley girl characters as they’re just too obnoxious with the voices and speech pattern only adding to the problem. She backs away from the continuing trouble (more on that later), and Rarity and Pinkie Pie notice that Fluttershy wasn’t willing to face her problems. This is really strange as Fluttershy was willing to confront the bullies in “Sonic Rainboom”, but she didn’t try to push herself in this case, so all the stuff that happens in this episode was just for the sake of learning to be more assertive.

Since I just said that, I might as well comment on the obvious: Ponyville ponies acting like dicks for the sake of story. It’s really just another instance of the show trying to push a certain lesson or moral instead of telling a story at feels natural within the context of the show, so this isn’t an unusual flaw. It still isn’t a good thing, of course. Like with Ponyville falling into random dangers in “The Mysterious Mare Do Well”, the show has done worse. Remember what happens to a certain princess whenever a major villain appears? At least this and “The Mysterious Mare Do Well” are standalone cases. Celestia’s uselessness is a CONTINUAL case. That’s the main reason I’m not overly irritated about the other ponies being random ass holes.

Continuing with the episode, Fluttershy tries to get the last bit of asparagus (what happened to the other bunches, btw?) only for yet another pony to suddenly beat her to it. I don’t know if this just happens to be a bad day of shopping for Fluttershy as she can’t even get a single piece of asparagus. Seriously, where the hell did that other buyer come from? As Fluttershy is still unwilling to assert herself now and later with the tomatoes, Rarity and Pinkie Pie try to help the pegasus with some examples. I’d like to point out they used deception over assertiveness. Rarity charmed a nerdy pony, and Pinkie Pie had to trick the tomato seller. Deception can still be a way to confront troublesome people/ponies, but it’s not the same as assertiveness. As for the tomato seller, she clearly has a sign that charges 3 tomatoes for 2 bits, so I don’t know how Fluttershy believed otherwise or missed the sign. And that tomato pony was willing to haggle, so why have the sign at all?

Only a cherry is left, and Fluttershy for some reason said that she really needed it, which convinced the merchant to charge a ludicrous price. Intriguingly, Fluttershy saying something unnecessary got her into trouble with the cherry and later with Angel as the rabbit didn’t even notice the missing cherry until the pegasus said it. And why are small cherries sold in singles? Are they sold in bulk at the very least? I can’t imagine a pony thinking about buying cherries only to settle for a lone one that they can finish on the spot. And why was that merchant being a dick about the price in the first place? He even accepts a low price from a separate buyer, and I honestly doubt that he wanted to teach Fluttershy to be assertive even when taking his last statement into account. I also don’t know how Fluttershy screwed up with the haggling when she was looking for a cheaper price.

Fluttershy fails to get the last cherry and tries to feed Angel, but Angel refuses even though the cherry wouldn’t add much overall flavor. The bunny kicks out Fluttershy (seriously?), and she learns about Iron Will and his seminar. Having the “Celestia is my witness” line doesn’t make sense, btw.

The seminar itself has a huge crowd for some reason. I don’t know if they all have communication problems or if they were curious about the event. Actually, I doubt they need this as they threw Fluttershy to the back and were already willing to be volunteers. She also has a hard time seeing the front, but she forgets about flying (and again later). Iron Will’s main method involves rhyming advices, but his stage example is weird. If someone gets in the way, you go around them. Maybe it was for more extreme cases when considering his own approach and the goat refusing to move, but I don’t know why anyone would waste their time consciously blocking someone else’s path unless they’re a bored bully. Also, the crowd looked friendly again when Iron Will called for Fluttershy as those ponies were all smiling and later cheering for Fluttershy, so… it was still another example of being dicks for the sake of the episode. Those ponies should’ve said that they were trying to help Fluttershy along, but being fictional characters with specific roles and fates prevent them from doing that.

So the pegasus learns some assertiveness, and I wonder how much time has passed. Fluttershy was feeding the animals lunch at the start of the episode, and I doubt the session takes only 10 minutes. So this all somehow takes only a few hours. She meets her gardener who claims to be a professional one even though he doesn’t look at the flowers while watering them, so he is a blatant liar. She tries to cross a bridge, and those background ponies are idiots for blocking the bridge at all. I still don’t know why Fluttershy doesn’t use her wings, but maybe she still wants to apply the advices she got. She gets to Sugarcube Corner and deals with a random ass hole pony of the episode. What were the ponies even lining up for? And what was Rarity doing there? Pinkie offers punch to Fluttershy and laughs. Fluttershy somehow sees this as a mocking act (no really, why?), dumps the punch on the party pony, and promptly leaves. What was she even doing there at all? Was she going to buy anything? Why did she think nothing of THROWING JUICE OVER HER FRIEND? What did she want a taxi for? Couldn’t she fly to her desired location? Apparently that’s her cottage, which she walked from moments before. I don’t know, whatever.

She finds that the mailpony got the addresses wrong, and that mailpony turns out to have vision problems. How the hell is he keeping his job? Then some random tourist asks for direction, but Fluttershy didn’t remember the letter in her mouth and blames the tourist because… I got nothing. Amusingly, the tourist was thrown to the location he wanted to visit. Pinkie and Rarity can’t accept this new behavior and confront Fluttershy, who proceeds to insult her friends and their passions. Considering that a pony has to spend a fair amount of their life to find their passion and some specific symbol to show next to their butts, this is a pretty big deal. This is a very bad scene because, starting with the obvious, she’s insulting her friends. The episode tries to make it look like she’s simply misapplying Iron Will’s tips, but what exactly was Fluttershy so angry about? She thinks they want her to be a pushover again, but they’re her friends and want to help her. Why was Fluttershy suddenly so against them? Pinkie and Rarity didn’t even do anything questionable during the scene, so I have no idea what Fluttershy was thinking. Even worse is that her tirade goes for a fair while and quickly gets personal, so this hardly just seems like Fluttershy being angry about… whatever it is she’s angry about. One interesting touch is that she was flying as she was saying all this.

She goes back to her cottage, and plenty of time seems to have passed since her plants have withered. Has Angel eaten anything, by the way? Rarity and Pinkie pay a visit and pin the blame on Iron Will. For some reason, they keep calling him a “monster” even though they’ve never met the guy before this point. They also barely interact with the guy and still call him a monster after he leaves when he didn’t do anything ridiculous. The worst he does is drop Pinkie into the mud. Maybe Pinkie took major issue with that. And how is any of what Fluttershy did out of her own free will Iron Will’s fault? Even the episode has no answer to that. At least Fluttershy took responsibility for her mistakes.

The minotaur arrives to collect his due, and Pinkie Pie almost sends him away until Fluttershy sneezes. He rips down the boards nailed to the door and then just knocks. The way this scene plays out is actually quite funny as it looked like he was about to smash the door. Fluttershy comes out and displays some genuine assertiveness as she kept composure while explaining herself, so at least she followed the letter that will later be sent to Celestia. And the main ponies of the episode reconcile.

Pretty lousy episode, though I can’t say it’s among my least favorites. You can easily find previous episodes I like less than this one.

Fluttershy’s actions after Iron Will’s session and even Iron Will himself to a degree are underpowered. She starts acting extreme right off the bat, so I don’t know if that minotaur offered genuine advice or advocated aggressiveness instead. The episode tries to claim that she was being aggressive instead of assertive, but she jumps immediately to the former without showing how exactly she mistakes one for the other. Another way to put this is that she starts off meek and immediately acts like a dick right after. There’s no actual “transition” aside from learning Iron Will’s tips off-screen, so the episode only says why she acted the way she did instead of showing it. And the worst part is that she was directly attacking her friends who didn’t do anything to warrant such a response, and no reason was given for Fluttershy’s obliviousness other than “taking the advice too far”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

There were some things to enjoy about Iron Will, though. One of his goats noticed Fluttershy staying low and chose her as she’s one who definitely needs some his advice, so his help is genuine. And he’s a reasonable guy as he didn’t ask for payment after Fluttershy claimed dissatisfaction and even took some new advice from his most recent client. On that note, has any of his clients lied about being dissatisfied so they don’t have to lose money?

At least Fluttershy will learn to push herself over the show. Somewhat.

Um, if you don't mind, some Double spacing between the paragraphs would be prudent as otherwise this is one big giant block of text to read through. Other than that, I like what you have posted and I agree with it. Keep at it :)

• Like 1

Pretty good review of PYHD. You made plenty of good points, but one that I haven't heard before was the one about the amount of time that this takes place over. As far as we know, Fluttershy going from doormat to psychopath took place over the course of just one day. That makes this change in personally even harder to buy. On top of that, this is an episode that relies on making things the complete opposite of the way we normally see them just so the plot can "work". Ponyville is normally a very nice town, but here, everyone is a complete jerk. They needed to make the town out of character just to unnaturally get Fluttershy over the edge. This episode was terrible. You went too nice on it if you ask me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Um, if you don't mind, some Double spacing between the paragraphs would be prudent as otherwise this is one big giant block of text to read through. Other than that, I like what you have posted and I agree with it. Keep at it :)

There's enough space between the paragraphs for me, but if you really want, I'll do that.

11 hours ago, King Clark said:

Pretty good review of PYHD. You made plenty of good points, but one that I haven't heard before was the one about the amount of time that this takes place over. As far as we know, Fluttershy going from doormat to psychopath took place over the course of just one day. That makes this change in personally even harder to buy. On top of that, this is an episode that relies on making things the complete opposite of the way we normally see them just so the plot can "work". Ponyville is normally a very nice town, but here, everyone is a complete jerk. They needed to make the town out of character just to unnaturally get Fluttershy over the edge. This episode was terrible. You went too nice on it if you ask me.

Eh, it was a bad episode, but it also didn't enrage me. That's why the review is written the way it is, and I'd say that it had a pretty snarky tone. I found plenty of things to make fun of, so maybe that's why I didn't feel like shredding the episode.

That scene with Fluttershy verbally abusing her friends is among the worst the show has done, though. There was literally no reason for her to say what she had said.

• Like 2

Ya, there are a few episodes from this show that I know are really bad, but I just can't get angry at them for some reason. Rainbow Falls and Spike at Your Service are those two for me. People generally go after Fluttershy in this episode, but I actually have a lot more problems with this episode than just that. I'll review this episode eventually and I will highlight those problems. However, that scene is the worst part.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Ya, there are a few episodes from this show that I know are really bad, but I just can't get angry at them for some reason. Rainbow Falls and Spike at Your Service are those two for me. People generally go after Fluttershy in this episode, but I actually have a lot more problems with this episode than just that. I'll review this episode eventually and I will highlight those problems. However, that scene is the worst part.

I actually enjoyed "Spike at Your Service", but more because it was so bad that it was funny. I personally just watch stuff to enjoy them, and if it has to be so bad that it's good, fine by me. At least I can say I didn't waste my time.

• Like 1

@Number? Ya, pretty much. That one and Rainbow Falls are so bad it's good for me. Although I may dislike RF a bit too much for it to be there...maybe. As long as you are enjoying yourself, it doesn't really matter that much how bad it is. I mean, I'd pick that over an episode like Dragon Quest (one that pisses me off) any day.

• Like 2

It’s About Time

Another shot of my new reviewing style where I just comment on the stuff that happens on-screen as well as make other comments.

Spike dreams a romantic fantasy (even calling an “ice cream dream” which is an interesting choice of words) but is interrupted by Twilight. She mentions a “Ponyville Hay Board” which I don’t believe comes up in the show, so I wonder what that is. Anyways, she’s concerned because she made a schedule but didn’t put down when to make another schedule, and then she claims that the rest of the year will be a disaster without a fix. I honestly believe the damage will be less than minor. I personally find this aspect of Twilight annoying because the creative staff are trying too hard to make her organizational skills anality funny, and they come off as being stupid instead because there are easy fixes to her problems. I’m sure she already does plenty of writing, so make a note for those activities. Or just write on the calendar margins. Or make the schedule while she’s still up in the middle of the night. And a smart pony like her can’t see any of those? Spike’s reaction indicates that her behavior isn’t unusual, but he could try to correct such unnecessary behavior. Twilight’s solution is to read two pieces of text at the same time. Just think about that kind of activity and ask yourself if it’s practical. Apparently, she was up all night, and she still didn’t think to just make a schedule on the spot.

Future Twilight suddenly appears looking disheveled, and Present Twilight says this incident is “scientifically impossible.” *facepalm* Really? Magic couldn’t be a possibility? This is the same dumb move that “Feeling Pinkie Keen” pulled. An “epic pony war” was mentioned, but I sincerely doubt the writers can do this kind of story competently, so good thing that wasn’t it. Future Twilight disappears before she can give her full message, and Present Twilight assumes a horrible event due to the messy physical appearance of her future self. Future Twilight should’ve just shut Present Twilight up immediately so she could finish. Though I did find the line about being from next Tuesday morning as well as Present Twilight’s excitement funny. Time travel even just in concept is pretty amazing, isn’t it? I’m surprised that Twilight didn’t initially know about spells relating to time travel especially when considering her main talent.

Outside, Pinkie Pie is floating with balloons while wanting Fluttershy to carry a bunch of heavy party supplies. I don’t know how that setup happened. Is Pinkie punishing Fluttershy for the previous episode? Maybe Fluttershy is willingly punishing herself. Only God knows. Twilight goes out and expresses the warning from her future self, which is met by laughter from the citizens. I do like that her friends kept straight faces, which is a good nod to “Lesson Zero”. Pinkie gets frightened and amusingly tries to run away while floating.

Twilight makes use of her organizational skills to fix anything that might be a problem or might lead to a problem. Montage! She had a long list, but somehow everything on it was checked in one day. Maybe there weren’t as many potential problems as she thought. At least smaller parts of Ponyville were fixed or improved. Spike was also bored during his part in the montage, so it seems he already knows the outcome of this episode. Twilight said that they should’ve been looking for bigger problems instead of smaller problems, but I thought those bigger problems were already included.

Cerberus comes out of the ether, and Twilight is excited about this development. I know it’s because she thinks it’s connected to the warning from the future, but I still don’t believe that she should be thrilled. That beast is supposed to be guarding the gates of Tartarus, so why has he left his post? I remember Tirek escaping during this time, but did he do something to the monster? Twilight tries to take care of the hellhound with magic (could it work?), but Fluttershy already has that covered because he’s still a dog. Was Fluttershy already familiar with him? Then again, it isn’t unlike her encounter with the manticore from the premiere. Also, she probably should’ve tried to think of the dragon in “Dragonshy” as a large Spike, but she was probably too afraid to consider that anyways. Pinkie also continues to run around screaming, and a nice funny detail is that Cerberus also noticed and reacted. Twilight takes Cerberus back to his location, and she’s evidently more than familiar with the place since she didn’t need directions. She claimed that nothing escaped from the Equestrian hell, so I guess no one is keeping track of its inhabitants since Tirek escaped unnoticed for a long time.

Spike upchucks a letter from Princess Celestia indicating that Cerberus left his position. That pony is a bit slow since almost a day has passed since he first visited Ponyville. The letter gives Twilight a paper cut even though I don’t think it could no matter how it was thrown to her. Anyways, that paper cut matches the facial injury Future Twilight carried, so nothing seems to have been prevented. Twilight reacts by pacing, and this somehow makes a groove on wooden floor. She doesn’t want “another” lecture from Spike, which is an odd statement as I don’t recall Spike doing anything like that at any point while Twilight does this at least a few times. She resorts to standing still until next Tuesday to hopefully avert the disaster that struck her future self. Does she plan on eating anything and taking care of bodily excretions? Spike messes with her which is a very bizarre decision when considering Twilight’s uneasiness, and this makes him look insensitive. It’s a weird contrast to “Lesson Zero” where he took her uneasiness seriously. RD appears, and she’s not the most mature pony around, so her teasing Twilight makes more sense. Twilight gets irritated and tosses Spike when he tries to tickle her, and Spike belches fire which gives Twilight her future hairstyle.

Spike takes Twilight to “Madame Pinkie”. I never knew Pinkie did fortunetelling as a side job, but she foresees Twilight getting a great birthday present, and it definitely will be from Pinkie. Twilight actually sought answers from Pinkie Sense, so at least she learned something from “Feeling Pinkie Keen”, though I still hate that episode. The following scene is funny, however. Pinkie claims that her sense only detects immediate events, but that’s not true in the case of her “doozy” detection.

Pinkie later heads to Twilight’s place, and the same music from the end of “The Last Roundup” plays, so I’m guessing this is Pinkie’s theme. Twilight decides to “monitor everything,” but it only looks like she’s observing the heavens. It’s also funny that Pinkie believes throughout the episode that Twilight was too curious about the future birthday gift. Spike continues eating too much ice cream, and I doubt that's a healthy snacking choice. Twilight points out that she hasn’t slept since being visited from her future self. This seems to be taking a toll on her mental abilities as she’s unaware of the next day being the “next Tuesday”, and she wants Pinkie to change an attribute of the telescope even though Pinkie isn’t an expert with telescopes or astronomy. Twilight looks through the telescope and gets her right eye blinded by the sun. She somehow stared at it too long, or else she wouldn’t have needed an eye patch. Twilight finally resorts to stopping time. Is that even a good idea? Should you really prevent the universe (or Equestria at least) form moving on just for that? She must’ve been too desperate.

I haven’t commented on this, but Pinkie has items everywhere in Ponyville for specific and random emergencies. She even put items in other ponies homes, which means she broke into every pony’s house. Did any resident ever accidentally find a random stash of objects? At least this is amusing as it manages to be reasonable for Pinkie Pie and her eccentricities unlike the Pinkie Sense.

Twilight, Spike, and Pinkie Pie go to Canterlot in black suits to sneak to the part of the Canterlot library that contains guarded info about time travelling spells. I don’t think black outfits will help them blend in with the violet sky. A guard passed by without noticing them. Or maybe he did but didn’t want to get caught in the awkwardness. And Spike continues eating more ice cream. Amusingly, only Twilight sneaks around while the other two don’t even try, and Pinkie even tries to “hide” by clinging onto the front of a banner. They finally arrive at the desired part of the library, which turns out to be next to where they started, and Twilight is stumped. Another good touch with Twilight’s lack of sleep. Even better, she thinks she took a wrong turn as she is believes she went to the wrong area, but Pinkie immediately finds the section across from their starting window. A guard is about to approach, and Twilight panics. Was she too tired to remember running away? That’s not necessary as the guard recognizes her and opens the area. Maybe he surely didn’t want to ask about her outfit to avoid any awkwardness. How did he know she wanted to go in the Star Swirl area? Couldn’t Twilight teleport herself in? I’d like to think that Twilight went to the Canterlot library so often that the guards already know her even if it’s to a degree, though her surprise at the number of Star Swirl magic scrolls is a bit weird as that place is still easily visible. She was also surprised that the guards and Celestia weren’t surprised at Twilight’s own presence, so I’m sure she used to hang around the place a lot.

Tuesday morning finally comes and she is expecting an immediate disaster. How does she know it won’t happen in, say, the late morning? Her future self wasn’t THAT specific. Princess Celestia makes a random appearance. She just raised the sun, but why was she around the Star Swirl scrolls? She also didn’t notice Twilight’s strange physical appearance as well as her cowering position, but I guess this is meant to be comedic. Pinkie finds a time-travelling spell, and Twilight grabs it so the episode could literally replay the beginning scene. I wonder if that segment could’ve been trimmed down a bit. Twilight learns the whole truth after this, and she decides that she will try live in the now and not exaggerate potential problems that might occur.

I did enjoy this episode as a whole, but I have problems with parts of it. For starters, it’s pretty similar in concept to “Lesson Zero” even down to the lesson, and this is coming from a person who prefers not to make comparisons. There, she learns not to exaggerate problems in general. Here, she learns not to exaggerate potential future problems, which is pretty similar. In both cases, Twilight overestimates the impact of some future consequence, and she becomes unhinged (though even more so in “Lesson Zero”) and takes more extreme measures when things don’t seem to be getting any better. There is a fairly major difference as “Lesson Zero” has Twilight dealing with something immediate with an uncertain consequence, and “It’s About Time” has her anticipating a vague but definitely negative upcoming event without knowing what caused it. Twilight’s actions in “LZ” lead to a disaster, but no wide-ranging disaster happens in this episode. So, I’m slightly mixed about the similarities. Hopefully, Twilight learning again not to be such a worrywart will stick. One major edge this episode has over “Lesson Zero” is that the latter leaves a major problem untouched (i.e. Twilight’s perspective of Princess Celestia) while this episode has no such lingering issue.

Spike’s characterization is very iffy as he completely dismissed Twilight’s behavior. He already thought she was acting ridiculous in “Lesson Zero”, but he still tried to help her. Like with “Winter Wrap Up”, I don’t like that Spike brushes off his closest friend without any actual reason. Also he eats too much ice cream and ignores consequences of doing so because it’s “future Spike’s problem”, and we know what happens next. It’s good for the episode to show that although one shouldn’t worry about the future too much, one also shouldn’t disregard it completely, but Spike eating a ton of ice cream for… some reason to demonstrate this feels forced.

Star Swirl gets another nice mention in this episode. It’s too bad the show hasn’t done more with him despite his allegedly high standing. There’s a good first mention of Tartarus, but I would’ve liked to actually see inside that place. What “Twilight’s Kingdom” gave wasn’t good enough.

Pinkie somehow joins Twilight along the way. I don’t know how or why, but it just works while still being funny. Then again, she went to check up on Twilight after the fortune-telling session and stayed in the Golden Oaks Library (has that place ever been explicitly named in the show?) for a some amount of time, so Pinkie might as well tag along to show that she cares.  

I actually liked that the time travel spell presented here made the stay a short one so one can’t just time travel willy-nilly. This only makes me more irritated with the end of season 5, but that will have to wait.

What’s really interesting is that Twilight initially believed that a disaster will occur because of her future self’s physical appearance. But as her own physical appearance slowly matches what she saw over the episode, she assumed that the vague future event will still happen even though everything she has been doing has been leading to the Future Twilight’s physical appearance. This means she even forgot the reason she thought there would be a disaster in the first place.

I also liked the time-travelling paradox this episode presented. In this case, Twilight’s worries and actions evolved into a self-fulfilling prophecy as she found out she had nothing to worry about. This discovery motivates her to stop her past self, but only incomplete information was left which triggered the concern that would ultimately lead to her current position.

Overall, it’s a fun episode. Hopefully, the more ridiculous anal tendencies will actually be taken care of.

• Like 2

Dragon Quest

There is a dragon migration, but Fluttershy doesn’t want to see it because she’s still afraid of dragons. I can accept this as there were only two instances of her dealing with a big dragon on-screen, and “Dragonshy” didn’t have her overcome her fear so much as set the fear aside momentarily to help her friends. Even the end of that episode had her panicking when she thought another huge dragon came around. Still, it’d be from a distance with the dragons not likely looking in her direction, so I doubt Fluttershy would have anything to be afraid of, but fear has its own ways of working. Rainbow Dash claims that she was forced to watch the “boring butterfly migration”, so she wants Fluttershy to tag along for the viewing of the dragon migration. This part is so small, but I feel like asking some questions. Why did Fluttershy want RD to come along? Why did she ask ONLY Rainbow Dash to come along? RD says that Fluttershy has to pay this debt, but I don’t know what RD would gain from this other than a fellow pegasus being around which makes her forcefulness pretty random. Anyways, Fluttershy displays some assertiveness learned from not too long ago and leaves.

The remaining 5 are in a trench, and no other ponies seem to be watching. I guess an event that comes only “once in a generation” and features huge dragons is boring to almost all of the Ponyville citizens. And Fluttershy did actually watch as Pinkie Pie stood in for that pegasus first with voice and later with a not-so-dissimilar fear. Where are the dragons migrating to and from, by the way?

Spike comes from somewhere to give the characters some sweets, and we already encounter a problem. RD mocks Spike for his apron because… I don’t know. It would’ve been one thing if she made some light tease about it in response to Spike’s prior statement, but she later calls him “lame.” Bad move, Rainbow Dash. The two haven’t interacted much, but they never had adverse feelings toward each other, so the pegasus’s line was just there to get him and the conflict started in a sloppy manner. Even AJ and Pinkie laugh with RD for… some reason. Even Rarity doesn’t come off well. She tried to defend Spike, which started off fine at first, but she uses baby talk to compliment him. That also would’ve been fine, but Spike was clearly uncomfortable, and Rarity doesn’t notice (or maybe even care) despite their experience together from “Secret of My Excess”.

Bed time arrives, and Spike questions his nature and identity. He asked some pretty good questions, but the episode won’t shed any light on them. Twilight responds that she only received him as an egg, and she doesn’t know who found his egg or where it came from. Has she ever tried asking Princess Celestia? I highly doubt Twilight would just accept a young dragon as an assistant without question especially when they aren’t common among pony civilizations. Continuing on, she and Spike look through the books in their library to try learning about dragons only to find nothing. Twilight reveals that they’re “too rare and too scary” to research. Apparently, no pony, not even a princess or 2, ever tried to communicate with a dragon with a season 6 episode even confirming this. And I also doubt that dragons are rare since there was a bunch of them flying together.

Spike decides to travel to find his inner self, and I like that Rarity and RD are concerned about his safety because at least they show that they do care about him even in spite of their prior scenes with him. Twilight eventually decides to let him travel because he’s desperate, and they say farewell to him. The 3 ponies doing this while having huge smiles on their faces is hilarious, and they even communicate with each other through their teeth. Unsurprisingly, they decide to secretly tag along. This is a reasonable move as their experiences with the non-Spike dragons (and big Spike himself from “Secret of My Excess”) haven’t been pleasant, so they would want to watch his back.

A montage of Spike’s journey plays, and a donkey that is either Cranky or happens to look exactly like him helps Spike along at one point. I’m pretty sure it’s the latter as Cranky lives in Ponyville, and Spike was already a fair distance away from that town. His journey seems very long, and he didn’t bring much food since he only got a sandwich before leaving and had a small meal at another point. Maybe he didn’t get very hungry. And since Spike mostly walked through so many different kinds of areas, how long did this take?

He finally makes it to the land of the dragons and decides to meet with the teenage ones because they’re closer to his age. Shouldn’t he try to find baby or child dragons? The teenage dragons start talking, and the episode has now gone downhill. I personally hate idiotic and annoying teenage characters like these because they’re, well, annoying idiots who offer nothing else and aren’t enjoyable. They’re just there to cause trouble, and plenty of screentime tends to be given to them like with this episode. He’s even ridiculed for being from Ponyville, and this is a good example of my complaint about these characters because they don’t or can’t answer a basic question: What’s so bad about living among ponies? At least the episode showed that a dragon can have multiple ways of growing up because Spike only grew in “Secret of My Excess” due to greed, but these dragons are hardly greedy. However, this isn’t much of a compliment. The “pony in a dragon costume” bit is funny, though.

The dragons want Spike to prove himself with a belching contest to start. Spike spits out a scroll from Princess Celestia, and the dragons proceed to mock him and the alicorn. Since ponies tend not to be involved with dragons like the episode said earlier, I’m sure the dragons (and I mean all of them) know nothing about Celestia. And my complaint is the same: What’s so bad about being associated with a princess? And Twilight is irritated about their reaction and disposal of the scroll. Back when she gave a crap about her mentor. I’ve read a random comment speculating that Celestia’s letter had information about Spike’s origins, which would’ve been amusing if that turned out to be true. Next is tail wresting, and the disguised ponies step in to help him. And we get Crackle, who Rarity’s costume happens to resemble. S/he/it also makes a funny noise as well as having a funny design. The ponies lose on purpose, and this was actually a funny scene because a “large” dragon was doing nothing and collapsed after. And another short funny moment comes up with Rarity and RD. They also help him with King of the Hoard, but he ultimately fails that. After that is lava cannonball, which finally impresses the teenagers. This whole competition sequence goes on too long because it’s rather repetitive. Obviously, the teenagers won’t be impressed right away, and Spike will need to try some more, but at least one of those parts could’ve been cut because (except for the tail wrestling) they all don’t have much to say. Not helping is that there’s only a little less than 7 minutes until the end of the episode at this point.

Spike is invited to the “gang”, and the dragons have a party by eating a bunch of gems. The red dragon, and also the most vocal one while also not being named for some reason, says that the he has plenty to teach about being a dragon. Oh really? Spike then declares that he wants to stick around them for at least some while. I don’t know if they did anything special together, and all they did was eat crystals, so this decision comes off as random. The 3 following ponies aren’t happy about this, and it would make sense that they wouldn’t want Spike to hang around these kinds of dragons. The teenage dragons want to steal some phoenix eggs because it’s fun and… stuff. Spike recoils because he doesn’t want to harm or trouble innocent creatures, but he gets taken along anyways. Twilight, Rarity, and RD continue to follow him.

The dragons arrive at the phoenix nest that was interestingly shown earlier during Spike’s journey. Phoenixes are said to be immortal, at least that’s why various myths say. So could phoenix overpopulation ever be a problem in the show?

Spike lures the phoenixes away, but the eggs have already hatched. The teenagers decide to grab the hatchlings instead, but the baby phoenixes evade them in an amusing sequence (maybe phoenixes in this show have mischievous natures) and all blow a raspberry. Good move. I’m not being sarcastic. I genuinely mean it. They all leave the nest, and one egg turns out to be unhatched. The adult phoenixes notice their babies being chased and change courses to rescue them. All of the phoenixes have flared up, and one adult phoenix releases a bright light to escape and send the teenagers away. Spike encounters the unhatched phoenix egg, and the teenage dragons (none of them have been named at this point for some reason) tell him to break it because… that’s what fictional teenagers do. Spike refuses because he knows that harming something defenseless and helpless is low. Also he’s a good person, or dragon. The vocal red dragon retorts, “No one says no to me!” Yeah, no one says no to… whoever you are.

Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash release their disguise and try to make fists, and this ends up looking a bit awkward since they’re not humans. Rainbow Dash didn’t really do much in this episode, did she? Rarity delivers a line pretty nicely, though. Spike admits to the ponies being better friends, and the main characters run (and teleport) away. He also admits to his friends that they’re his real family.

Spike sends a letter to Princess Celestia, and there is a pan of photos referencing previous episodes. The first photo has Spike freshly hatched from an egg, but Twilight is already an adult in that same photo, which conflicts with “The Cutie Mark Chronicles”. Also, is the background of that first photo in the Golden Oaks Library? Another error. Another photo has Spike inserting himself into the photo, which appears to be Twilight’s birthday from “Sweet and Elite”. I still don’t know why he was excluded. The phoenix also hatches at the end, but too bad we never see more of it because I wouldn’t have minded a small expansion in the cast. Did he ever try to find the baby phoenix’s parents, by the way?

Aside from a few genuinely funny and good moments that I’ve pointed out, this episode is pretty lame. You’d think with a title like that (yes, I know there’s a video game series of that name as well, but I’m not a gamer) and just having dragons (which are inherently cool), the episode would be at least a little worthwhile. But that’s not what happened. The conflict of the episode is even started sloppily, which I already mentioned with RD mocking Spike and Rarity having a rather condescending behavior. This gets Spike to ask a bunch of questions about himself, but none of those questions are ever answered, or at least not answered well. Compounding this problem is that Spike felt sad at different points while asking his questions, but that strong negative feeling ultimately meant nothing.

Spike leaves to follow the migration around the 7 minute mark and arrives at his destination a little after the 8 minute mark. That only leaves about 13 minutes to talk about dragons, which is still a fair amount of time. But we had to waste over 6 minutes with some competitions, and the rest of the episode still features only the teenage dragons and no others. Yeah, I really dislike annoying ass hole characters because they only do one thing while getting plenty of screentime, and that’s it. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were boring, the ponies being corrupted in “The Return of Harmony” were boring, these nameless teenage dragons were boring, that manager pony from “The Mane Attraction” was boring, and I think I’m missing others. I don’t know how a combination of annoying and boring is even possible.

The biggest problem of the episode is that it says little to nothing about the dragons of Equestria. For example, they were migrating at the beginning, but we’re not even told why they’re migrating. All of the representation of the dragon population was limited to a small sample, and that was a pretty shallow representation since all we learn about these specific ones is that they’re brutish… and that’s it. In fact, we don't even learn the red dragon's name. Why couldn’t we see the other dragons? There were a lot of dragons to go around, and Spike wanted to learn more about himself and dragons, so there was no reason not to show the other ones. All this just makes his angst earlier in the episode pointless since his questions never came close to being answered. He learns to accept his life as it is and not worry so much about his origins, but the episode didn’t convey this well. If anything, Spike and the ponies only got their share of dragons through a bad sample, so Spike only came to this conclusion through a bad experience instead of actually learning that a dragon’s life can take on whatever path it wants or needs. In other words, this episode was a waste.

• Like 2

This episode was beyond terrible. One of my five worst of the series for pretty much all the reasons you pointed. I do actually have more problems with this episode than you do, but I will talk about those in my own review of this episode. Besides, I'm sure you don't want to hear my rambling anyway. If you want a version of this plot done well, watch the episode of Gravity Falls called Dipper vs Manliness. 

Great review!

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 4:20 PM, King Clark said:

This episode was beyond terrible. One of my five worst of the series for pretty much all the reasons you pointed. I do actually have more problems with this episode than you do, but I will talk about those in my own review of this episode. Besides, I'm sure you don't want to hear my rambling anyway. If you want a version of this plot done well, watch the episode of Gravity Falls called Dipper vs Manliness. 

Great review!

There's probably more I could pick at, but I feel that it would be nitpicking because the core of the episode already fell apart, which was  Spike learning to accept himself and his life and to show the life of other dragons. Also, I didn't want to make the review too long. If I really hated an episode, then I'd probably extend the review. So as it is, "Dragon Quest" is horrible, but I didn't get angry over it.

Hurricane Fluttershy

Rainbow Dash flies in the sky distributing leaflets. I doubt her method is efficient since she’s just dropping papers. Why not just fly and give them the papers? I doubt it would take long since RD can fly quickly. There is a meeting for all pegasus ponies in Ponyville, but Fluttershy reacts in horror and tries to escape. And another mule joke. Night time arrives, and Rainbow Dash notices that Fluttershy is missing, though it’s after counting instead of RD noticing that her friend isn’t present. I’m surprised RD knows how many pegasi live in Ponyville. Oh, and Fluttershy is hiding as a tree. I’m guessing that’s a reference to “Over a Barrel”. Couldn’t she just stay at her cottage?

An old film plays to provide exposition. Cloudsdale needs water, and only a tornado with enough wing power created by the pegasus ponies can transfer water from the Ponyville reservoir to the sky. Spitfire will also be overseeing the operation. Let’s see if she does something useful in this episode. And RD wants to break the record wing power because who doesn’t want to break records? She encourages the other ponies to train since they all want to beat the record, and a certain muscular background pony also makes his first appearance in the show. I’m not too big on background ponies, so don’t expect me to say much about him.

It’s the next day, and the pegasi are all working out to optimize their performance when making the tornado with Rainbow Dash being the coach. Somehow, the wings can be used for push-ups and weightlifting. Fluttershy is unsurprisingly absent, but RD wastes no time in trying to fix that. RD pays a visit and easily sees through Fluttershy’s excuses. Fluttershy expresses concern about being poor help since she’s not much of a flyer under stress. No one will actually be watching or judging her performance, so I’m guessing she feels pressures to contribute to a sufficient enough tornado and doesn’t want to look like a weak contributor. Then again, she might feel that she’s being watched from self-consciousness. And she has a troubled childhood as added weight to her problem. Unsurprisingly, Fluttershy was bullied as a filly for her unimpressive flying skills. Did the adult figures try to do anything about this? RD tries to ease Fluttershy in a pretty good scene by first knocking Fluttershy’s concern but quickly catching herself and correcting her statement. Fluttershy is uncertain at first but eventually decides to join, much to the joy of RD. The history between the two as well as Rainbow Dash initially being fine with Fluttershy’s rejection helps the scene, too.

Cut to the next scene. Twilight has an anemometer and gives an explanation filled with technical jargon for some reason with Spike immediately correcting that. Twilight certainly felt too proud of her explanation since she was irritated with others preferring Spike’s explanation, and I don’t know what she gains from doing that other than self-satisfaction. We get some demonstrations with the device, and I wonder what’s the highest number it can display. It’s Fluttershy’s turn, and she gets nervous since others are watching. She starts fine at first, but 2 background ponies who appear to be laughing at her (they were pointing and laughing after she passed) triggers her childhood trauma, and she slows down. She has resulted in a low number, which Spike was insensitive about for some reason. Interestingly, none of the pegasus were trying to mock her, and they all seemed supportive. Not even those 2 pegasus who were previously seemed to be laughing at her because Fluttershy ran past them, and they weren’t mocking her as she passed, so that part was kind of random. That still doesn’t stop Fluttershy from remembering her past pain, and she runs off crying. RD did mention that some others were actually mocking her, and now I’m very confused. At least I know that Fluttershy ran off because she couldn’t stop being self-conscious.

Fluttershy is by herself somewhere surrounded by animals, and Angel shows support and combs her hair. At least he’s getting better. Let’s see if it stays that way. The animals encourage her to try again, and she trains by herself while trying to get over her fear of judgment in a montage. She seems to have gotten better and returns to Twilight and RD’s location. A squirrel goes up to Twilight to announce Fluttershy’s entrance, and the unicorn notes that she can’t communicate with squirrels. Well, she could and did in a prior lifetime. Fluttershy’s actual entrance was actually quite funny since she was very confident (a good thing, but it’s still a noticeable contrast to earlier), RD’s huge grin, and the music. Turns out she hasn’t improved as much as she thought, which is reasonable since one can’t expect to hit the top over a short time when starting from the bottom. Getting some direction under an experienced trainer like RD may have also been better help than training by herself. Worth noting is that Fluttershy was the only one who thought negatively of her own performance while no one else minded, and RD and Twilight still commended her efforts. Ultimately, Fluttershy doesn’t think she’ll be much help and decides to still quit.

The big day has finally arrived, and Spitfire’s entrance is met with cheers. However, some of the pegasi are missing due to illnesses. I actually liked how this played over the episode. RD initially accused Thunderlane of faking his coughs to avoid contributing to the tornado. Maybe the cough was even played for laughs, and I’m remembering a Bugs Bunny short that had the rabbit shoot a person who was persistently coughing among the audience, but I digress. Thunderlane actually was sick, and another background pony also coughed right before he made his flight demonstration earlier in the episode, so he was actually spreading his illness as well. And this culminates in a number of pegasi being unavailable. He should’ve explained his situation so this whole mess could’ve been avoided. Anyways, 8 pegasi are missing, and Twilight notes that they might not be able to generate enough wing power for the required tornado. RD knows her priorities, so she just decides to just go for the tornado instead.

Fluttershy shows up to cheer on the other ponies. The tornado also falls apart because the ponies crashed, and Rainbow Dash hits the trees with her eyes somehow getting through the trunk. Now that’s a piercing gaze.

They try again and almost hit the minimum of 800 wing power, but they can’t get any higher as they’ve seemed to reach their limit. They could always try to push themselves harder, but that’s easier said than done. So Fluttershy must be pushed to fly instead, and she does after some encouragement from Twilight and the animals. Why didn’t Spitfire help again? She was overseeing the who thing, but I’m pretty sure she’s allowed to help if she’s needed. That still won’t reflect well on her.

Fluttershy’s gets over her fear, and her contribution does help as she provides enough wing power to beat her previous record and giving the tornado reaches the minimum required wing power as well. Apparently, the tornado transfers water by spitting it out to some specific area of Cloudsdale. How is the direction of the water even controlled? Fluttershy also continues flying even though the job was done. I guess she didn’t hear the horn or feel the loss of wind. RD and Fluttershy then do a… wing-five? The others including 2 pegasi who may or may not have been laughing at Fluttershy cheer for her, and it seems that at least plenty of other ponies were aware of her nervousness. Then again, some might have recognized her from flight school, and a certain pegasus having trouble wasn’t being kept as a secret. Fluttershy writes to Princess Celestia saying that small contributions can still be helpful, and confidence can affect one’s performance.

Very good episode. Fluttershy is given another problem, and it’s one that doesn’t feel like it came out of thin air. We see how this problem affects her and the choices she makes. While she does power through it in the end, she doesn’t suddenly become a Rainbow Dash 2.0, which is a good touch as she doesn’t practice nearly as often as Rainbow Dash. Then again, Fluttershy did catch up to (corrupted) RD in “The Return of Harmony”, but whatever.  RD did well in this episode, too. She was irritated but still understanding about Fluttershy staying behind, and she later gives major praise to Fluttershy no matter what the latter thought. And there’s Fluttershy’s relationship and friendship with the animals. I think this is the first episode we see the animals do something for her. Spike did seem insensitive at some points, though. And I’m still wondering what the two background pegasi (Flitter and Cloud Chaser) were really up to. But those aren’t huge issues.

Now for something else the episode brought up. Wing power is additive as the episode showed, so there are a few calculations I want to make. The event required all pegasus ponies to participate, or at least healthy adult ponies. Rainbow Dash wants to beat the record of 910 wing power, and all of the pegasi having at least 10.0 wing power (like RD wanted) each can achieve this and maybe even hit 1000 wing power. So there’s around 90-100 adult pegasus ponies living in Ponyville. Even if some were already missing for one reason or another, that seems pretty small pegasus population unless many more live in Cloudsdale. Then again, there weren’t that many pegasi shown on-screen participating in the event. But there’s a bigger issue. 8 pegasi missing was said to be enough of a loss to not beat the record of 910 wing power. The missing pegasi would need a minimum average of 13.75 wing power, and this is assuming that the other available pegasi could collectively make the minimum of 800 wing power for the tornado, which wasn’t the case. The tornado was only at 795 without Fluttershy, so the missing pegasi will then need a minimum average of 14.375 wing power just to beat the record, which is still obviously higher than the minimum of 10.0 wing power RD was hoping from each pony. RD also believed that the available pegasus ponies of Ponyville could even go to a total of 1000 wing power, so the 8 missing will all need a minimum average of 25 wing power (again assuming that 800 could still be reached without them), which is plenty higher than master flyer RD’s number of 16.5. Someone forgot how to do addition and multiplication.

Edited by Number?
spacing issues
  • Like 1

Interesting with adding the numbers to find they would need more ponies then they need considering that RD asked for at least 10 but they would actually need 25. Good job with the math and review, Number? This is definitely one of Fluttershy's best episodes.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 0:26 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Interesting with adding the numbers to find they would need more ponies then they need considering that RD asked for at least 10 but they would actually need 25. Good job with the math and review, Number? This is definitely one of Fluttershy's best episodes.

They said that only 8 ponies missing depowered the tornado enough, and 8 ponies isn't that much unless they happen to be RD clones. Maybe RD was hoping that Fluttershy's presence would lift the spirits and efforts of the other pegasi.

• Like 1

Ponyville Confidential

The episode starts at the… school the CMC attend. Does that school have a name? Sweetie Belle is annoyed that a colt named Featherweight already got his cutie mark. From his light frame, I’m guessing he’s younger than the CMC. The other children are admiring his cutie mark, and apparently a pony getting a cutie mark is always considered a big deal since an important stage in life has been reached. I guess a person hitting puberty, high school, college, or even graduation isn’t a big deal to me, so that’s why the admiration over a newly earned cutie mark always seems random to me. Sweetie Belle is about to give up until Apple Bloom presents a possible solution by working on The Foal Free Press, which is the school newspaper. AB doesn’t actually get to explain herself, so SB and Scootaloo, in a montage, use the newspaper in every way that doesn’t include reading or producing them. Of course, they will always disappointed as they won’t ever get their cutie marks for obvious reasons. *sigh* Not this again, but at least it doesn’t go for the rest of the episode. Though what’s coming isn’t that much better, if at all. SB and Scootaloo finally admit their lack of success to AB, and AB finally explains that the three could getting cutie marks relating to journalism. Too bad SB and Scootaloo aren’t enthusiastic about the idea.

Another day of school ends, and Cheerilee announces a meeting concerning the newspaper staff including interest in joining. A new editor-in-chief has joined the ranks, and that turns out to be Diamond Tiara, which is strange as she left the classroom earlier. I don’t see anything different about her physically, so I’m guessing she needed to use the filly’s room. Obviously, from an out-of-universe perspective, it was meant to be a surprise at least for the remaining students, though I truly doubt many viewers were surprised. The CMC needed a problem, so what’s better than Diamond Tiara, who also serves no other purpose? Also, why not just have DT stay in the classroom and go to the front after that announcement? Cheerilee leaves while telling her remaining students to have fun, which confirms yet again that she somehow continues to be unaware of DT’s bullshit. Diamond Tiara then asserts that the school paper sucks because no pony supposedly cares about it. Cue a background pony reading the newspaper with genuine interest. Diamond Tiara plans to fix that problem. Guess what she wants? “Juicy” stories, as in gossip because they can garner plenty of attention.

Scootaloo momentarily has common sense and wants to ditch the “business” because she knows DT is only accompanied by bad news. On the other hand, Sweetie Belle is in a torturous mood and suggests that they try out the newspaper because it might be their “last chance” even though none of the CMC are even a little inherently passionate about writing. Have there been adult ponies without cutie marks? And is there really an age limit for getting them? But Scootaloo eventually gives in, and they try their hooves in journalism. Sweetie Belle wants to write about her sister’s business. Interestingly, SB doesn’t use magic to move a pencil. Scootaloo tries to write about new baby birds shown in the montage earlier in the episode, and she still can’t fly. AB consults Granny Smith about another bit of Ponyville history, which is a good throwback to “Family Appreciation Day”. Unsurprisingly, Diamond Tiara doesn’t like those stories, so she throws them out and demands “juicy” stories. What is it with characters using vague and generic adjectives? And I’m sure SB and AB’s stories could stir some interest, though DT might hold a grudge against AB’s story because of “Family Appreciation Day”.

Sweetie Belle quickly spots Snips and Snails having bubblegum trouble and tells Featherweight to photograph them. Featherweight was already going around the playground, so how did he miss those two? Anyways, this report obviously becomes big news around the school. One kid also remarks that the school newspaper tends to having “boring news”. Isn’t that why they’re called “newspapers”? Diamond Tiara is thrilled about this development and, obviously again, wants and finally explicitly mentions gossip. And, obviously yet again, this can’t and won’t end well. You can even apply common sense into this. The conclusion becomes more obvious given the overall tone of the show.

We’re now at Carousel Boutique, and Rarity accidentally comes upon Sweetie Belle’s bag containing the newspaper. Why was the bag just randomly on the floor? Rarity had to get involved somehow, I suppose. Sweetie Belle tries to get her stuff back by flicking Rarity’s horn, and this was kind of funny. Rarity expresses interest in reading gossip and also remarks on the dullness of regular news. With this, the CMC decide to go all over Ponyville instead of just their school for embarrassing events, which is a little weird as they were already going outside of the school for stories just previously, but whatever. This results in The Foal Free Press (more accurately its gossip) becoming popular enough to stand among mainstream newspapers.

The newspapers do reach the Mane 6, and RD goes to the spa to spread her discovery. There was a small mention of Trixie, which feels a bit random since it’s been a while since she showed up. A funny scene plays with RD getting Spike’s cucumber slices and eating one of them only for Spike to just get that eaten slice out of RD’s mouth. I thought it would’ve been chewed up already. Twilight brings up the obvious negatives of gossip, but the others brush it off because it’s, you know, funny. Rarity and RD seem to lack empathy as the former calls this “harmless gossip” and the latter believes that any kind of attention is good. Princess Celestia also gets a small mention with her eating cake. I’m pretty sure she wants to have a more approachable image, but the picture from the newspaper instead makes her look embarrassed. Did the CMC really go all the way to Canterlot just for that? Rainbow Dash also tries to get a hooficure, and Featherweight just happens to stop by at the most convenient time. Can outsiders who aren’t looking for treatment just get inside a spa like that? I doubt he mentioned a tour since no worker accompanied him.

It also turns out that Spike was interviewed about Canterlot, but his story was rejected for not being embarrassing. I’m sure other ponies would’ve liked to read about the place. Also, wouldn’t Spike have to meet the CMC in person for the interview? Did the CMC use a telephone and voice-changer to communicate with him? Have telephones even been featured in the show, by the way? The point is that he somehow doesn’t know the identity of “Gabby Gums” even though he was interviewed.  

The CMC all momentarily have common sense and start to regret the stuff they wrote and published, but they keep going because of the demand for more gossip. They should’ve listened to their hearts because I doubt they want to earn a cutie mark and make a living by embarrassing other ponies. But nope, they must get that cutie mark at all costs. At least they’re uncomfortable with continuing, but that won’t make up for their later actions and choices.

More gossip is printed, or actually it’s not gossip. It’s libel since the newspaper contains information about other ponies that are clearly false. Though the Mrs. Cake reacting to the news of her breakup was funny.

Rarity finds out that Sweetie Belle and confronts her. Rarity lists the problems with gossip but is oddly hypocritical. She points out invasive nature of gossip and mentions her own example of looking through Sweetie Belle’s bag, but she also mentions how hurtful gossip can be even though she was personally enjoying it and brushing it off as harmless. Rarity only took action because she was hit. Yeah, she previously didn't care that her own friends were being hit. It wouldn’t be such a problem if there was a good explanation for this change of heart.

The CMC try to quit, but DT blackmails them into staying. So the CMC go around Ponyville for more possible stories, which is an interesting option for them to take since they were already making stuff up about ponies. Actually, we aren’t even told why they took that route, too. The 3 fillies have already been exposed as “Gabby Gums”, and the ponies of Ponyville have rejected them. In one scene, Sweetie Belle address Angel directly even though he never met any of the CMC. But it was nice that Angel shows again that he cares about Fluttershy. There’s another notable scene with AJ being quiet about her reaction while Big Mac scolded the CMC.

The 3 fillies finally realize the damage the gossip has done and stay in their clubhouse to think of a way out of this mess. Their solution is to submit an apology article while explaining themselves and acknowledging the damage. Having them submit the apology at the last minute was a good touch as it would be too late for Diamond Tiara to do something about an unwanted article since she was desperate about printing some newspapers.

After the apology has been spread over Ponyville (what about Canterlot with Celestia?), Cheerilee kicks DT from the school printing business. What the hell took you so long? And Featherweight has been promoted as the new editor-in-chief, which may or may not be a good move.

Another bad episode. There are some good things, some of which I’ve already mentioned. I liked that the CMC weren’t enjoying themselves, they knew what they were doing was wrong, and they took the blame for the gossiping.

But there are definitely problematic elements. The most obvious is the hypocritical nature of the Ponyville citizens. They were eating up the gossip that the school newspaper provided, but then they later bitch at the CMC for doing this after being hit themselves. Being hypocrites is one thing, but the main problem I have is that the episode doesn’t acknowledge this. The interest and demand for the gossips is one of the reasons the gossips kept coming, and the Ponyville citizens are completely unaware of that somehow while just throwing all of the blame to the CMC. If you ponies did something about this sooner (ahem, Twilight) or just showed disinterest in all of this gossip, you could’ve avoided or solved a problem. I can see some truth to this in real life since humans can be hypocritical (especially myself), but that doesn’t make for a good story as there’s another problem the story brought up that never gets addressed. This problem is also noticeable with Rarity, which I already explained earlier. This leads to my biggest problem with the episode.

The episode only puts the blame on the CMC. Uh, hello? They’re not the only ones who worked on this fucking thing! There are clearly other ponies who contribute to getting the articles typed and printed, and ponies who send out the newspapers. Do they have anything to say about this mess? Did they just enjoy the gossip whether they were printing it out or reading it? I'm sure the reputation of the ENTIRE school would've been affected since someone in that institution let all the bad news get out of hand like this. And what about Featherweight and his photography? How does he feel about taking pictures of ponies in their embarrassing situations? I’m guessing he enjoyed it since he put on a smile most of the time, and he even smiled at the CMC’s reaction of their own photos. I guess he doesn’t need to be punished somehow because all he did was take a bunch of nasty pictures (you know, also invading privacy) instead of writing out the gossip. And he's the new editor-in-chief. So will the Foal Free Press actually become legit with him on top? The CMC wanting to take full responsibility for everything that happened is a good move on their part, but it makes no sense for the other ponies who worked on the newspaper to get off scot-free. Diamond Tiara was clearly uninterested in the feelings of other ponies, which she even admits, so I guess her punishment at the end was something even though it wasn’t much.

And of course, Cheerilee was too damn slow as usual. She may just be the “advisor”, but doesn’t she get to see what gets printed before the newspaper is published? Was she even away of the frenzy the school newspaper eventually caused? Some responsible adult.

Edited by Number?
fixed some errors
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Number? said:

They said that only 8 ponies missing depowered the tornado enough, and 8 ponies isn't that much unless they happen to be RD clones. Maybe RD was hoping that Fluttershy's presence would lift the spirits and efforts of the other pegasi.

I would say if not for that for the wind power ometer measured that FLuttershy's presence was enough to push for 800 wing power. More likely that those 8 ponies happen to be their best flyers as we know Thunder Lane is one of them considering he's a wonderbolt now.

And yes, Ponyville Confidential is definitly one of M.A larson's worst episodes he's written in the series and imo it's only ahead of SSCS6000 in how bad it is. The citizens of Ponyville were perhaps at their worse in confidential in my opinion, though there are worthy contenders like 28 pranks, SSCS6000, and Bridle Gossip.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 9:36 AM, Nuke87654 said:

And yes, Ponyville Confidential is definitly one of M.A larson's worst episodes he's written in the series and imo it's only ahead of SSCS6000 in how bad it is. The citizens of Ponyville were perhaps at their worse in confidential in my opinion, though there are worthy contenders like 28 pranks, SSCS6000, and Bridle Gossip.

The main problem with "Ponyville Confidential" was that the problem presented was oversimplified. The CMC may have the ones going around and writing the stuff, but the Ponyville citizens enjoying the stuff and indirectly asking for more as well as never taking responsibility were ignored. And there were others who helped with making the newspapers, so you'd have to wonder what they were thinking as they made the stuff.

• Like 1

MMMystery on the Friendship Express

We start with the MMM, a very big cake to be sent to Canterlot. Making a cake like that seems so troublesome I personally wonder why anyone goes through the trouble, but whatever. That cake is apparently too heavy for Big Mac to carry, but he’s moved a house before. Maybe that cake too dense with sugar. I hope excess calories won’t be a problem in Equestria. The cake is apparently unstable as well, so Big Mac could be struggling to balance it. The cake might also be too soft, so a re-bake might be needed. Pinkie calls her friends to help transport the cake, and Twilight uses a spell to make a force field around the cake instead of holding the cake in place for some reason. They come across the train, and the cake is as tall as the door. Maybe Twilight could use a spell to separate the parts of the cake with the pieces being carried inside, and then she could put the pieces back together. Actually, no. They took apart one side of the train to carry the whole cake inside. I’m wonder why Big Mac was hammering the side of the train since I highly doubt the trains in Equestria are made of wood and nails.

The Mane 6 are headed to Canterlot for the dessert competition the cake is taking part in. And why aren’t Mr. and Mrs. Cake coming along? From the looks of things, Pinkie invited her friends on the way to the train instead of ahead of time because Twilight was studying before coming along. AJ tries to get a taste, but Pinkie immediately rejects the approach. And Pinkie goes on to describe the MMM inside and out, which gets her friends interested. This may or may not end well. But a griffon (haven’t seen one of those for a long time) named Gustav comes in with éclairs, and Donut Joe also shows up with his… donuts. I thought Donut Joe works in Canterlot, or at least that’s what “The Best Night Ever” showed, so why is he taking a train to Canterlot? Maybe he has a secret baking facility at or near Ponyville. Then we have Mulia Mild, a mule, entering with a chocolate moose mousse. And the competitors get pretty competitive because they really need to win first place. First place must come with huge winnings if they’re all that desperate. And (almost) everyone is heading to bed even though it’s still daytime. The trip to Canterlot also seems to be taking an entire night in this episode, but I thought would normally only take a few hours or so.

Pinkie is concerned about the MMM getting sabotaged by the competition and wants help with protecting it. Her friends brush off this concern of course and head to bed themselves, so Pinkie guards her cake by herself and inevitably gets tired/sleepy in the process. One pony suddenly appears and runs to the back of the train for some reason. This one is RD as the pony moved quickly and eventually “disappeared” by flying after Pinkie ran to the end of the train and missed the pony, and RD’s silhouette was recognizable. Pinkie should’ve tried looking up at various points. She suddenly spots a second pony, and this one is Fluttershy as the second pony didn’t hit a portrait while running away. Also, her tail is a bit recognizable, and the conductor was yellow. Fluttershy was even putting coal in the engine, so I have to wonder where the usual conductor was or why Pinkie didn’t go for a closer look. Pinkie goes back to guarding the MMM when the blinds suddenly close on their own. This one is Rarity as she can cast spells to create that effect, but her magic isn’t shown to keep a mystery. Rarity takes a bite and hits a portrait in the dark. In this amusing sequence, Pinkie tries to stop the “thief” and then asks how if the “thief” is okay. Also, I’m sure others have noticed, but it’s still worth pointing out that the portrait started without the eyelash and then had the eyelash after Rarity crashed. Pinkie goes back to her guarding duties but inevitably falls asleep anyways. And it doesn’t look like anyone else decided to take any more bites while she was sleeping.

Next morning arrives, and part of the MMM has been bitten. And Rarity’s hair is covering the eye without the eyelash. I’m guessing her room has a mirror or else she wouldn’t notice. Or can one feel fake eyelashes being missing? Pinkie decides to be a detective and make Twilight the assistant while getting the costumes. I’ll admit that I’ve never been exposed to anything Sherlock Holmes related. Twilight says that she has read many mystery novels, and thank goodness for her that she is also in a work of fiction because I doubt mysteries in real life are straightforward or even easy to solve. Pinkie probably has as well since she’s seems to know the clichés of the genre. She accuses Gustav the griffon as her first suspect, and a 20’s-esque silent film sequence plays. That was a fun homage. I’m guessing Pinkie verbally explained all of her sequences as I don’t know how the others could know what was being described to them as they were played. Twilight immediately calls nonsense, so Pinkie then accuses Donut Joe as the next suspect with a reference to James Bond or the spy genre playing next. I’ll also admit that I have never seen a single James Bond movie. This second sequence shows other ponies, but I don’t believe there are other kinds of ponies in the train. Or at least the episode hasn’t shown others before this point. Twilight again calls nonsense, and I’m also surprised she knows Donut Joe that well based on her descriptions. Funnily, Donut Joe even takes offense to the descriptions. Rarity compliments him wearing a tux, and he is immediately turned on. Has he ever tried chasing Rarity after this? Pinkie finally moves onto the final guest suspect, which is the mule, and I’m guessing this final sequence is a reference to Japanese movies which I also haven’t seen. Though I have seen Samurai Jack, and the sequence definitely resembles that show. What’s also funny is that the sequences keep showing the cake repeatedly getting sliced even though Twilight already told Pinkie that the cake was bitten. For some reason, Malia looked really traumatized after Pinkie confronted her. And Pinkie suspecting the other bakers isn’t so ridiculous since their desserts weren’t tampered with, and those bakers might have wanted to ruin their competition, but then again she still lacked evidence. I’m also sure the episode was an excuse to make references.

After Pinkie says my second-to-last sentence from the previous paragraph, the train goes through a dark tunnel. Did the train ever need to go through a dark tunnel to get to Canterlot? Anyways, the other baked products have now been partially eaten, and so much was actually eaten in this short time. And Pinkie is now stumped. Looks like those people wanted dessert for breakfast.

Twilight tells the others except Pinkie to go to their rooms so these 2 could investigate, and Twilight also switches outfits with Pinkie while wiping the pipe. Also a funny detail. Pinkie relays her experience to Twilight, and Twilight first finds RD’s feather and puts it in her bag. The feather may as well be invisible since the episode tries so hard to hide it from Pinkie and the viewer. Then the 2 get to the engine room, and there’s the conductor! Where was he previously? Conveniently on a break, apparently. Twilight then finds Fluttershy’s invisible hair in the conductor’s cap. Finally, they go back to the main cart, and Twilight takes away Rarity’s not-so-invisible eyelash from the portrait. At least the detail concerning the portrait is kept correct over the episode. Twilight eventually believes that she has deduced the culprit(s) that ate the MMM and calls for the others.

Twilight correctly guesses that RD, Fluttershy, and Rarity were the ones who took a bite out of the MMM. Note the expressions of RD and Fluttershy when Twilight exposes them. And Pinkie continues to make blind assumptions even though she’s been repeatedly told that blind assumptions don’t work when solving a mystery. For example, why does she think that RD has pink hair when RD clearly doesn’t? Or that the present griffon would have a blue feather? And I don’t know what Pinkie Pie was thinking when she was about to jump Fluttershy. Anyways, the responsible ponies admit their actions, so I guess they’ve never learned self-control. But the other mystery concerning the remaining desserts still stands, and Pinkie later correctly guesses that the other bakers at each others’ products. It seems Pinkie did learn something over the episode. Also, those other bakers apparently also haven’t learned self-control.

Since all of the desserts in the train are incomplete, the bakers decide to combine their leftovers into a single dessert, which wins first place. Is combining food like that in a competition allowed? Who takes the ribbon home? And how will the bite marks be covered up? Celestia even shows up, and she’s too busy salivating over the dessert to listen to Pinkie’s lesson. That was admittedly an amusing scene for the alicorn, but it still isn’t much. Then Pinkie goes on to devour the winning desert for… some reason. I don’t know.

Honestly, I don’t really have that much to say about the episode. The initial mystery was decent and even had some clues revealed to the audience. Twilight followed her own advice and continued to investigate even when she thought she found the suspect, so that was a good touch. Too bad that won’t happen in the episode after this one. And Pinkie got to solve the second mystery herself so she didn’t have to look like an idiot for most of the episode. The allusions in Pinkie’s imagination sequences were also fun, and the ridiculous ways the characters and events in the train could play out added to the fun. Still, Pinkie’s friends eating her cake isn’t okay as they’re, well, her friends. I doubt making a tall cake is easy, so ruining (according to the Cakes) months of hard work is still a problem especially when the cake will be available to eat later anyways. At least they apologized, but they can show their apology by (re)learning self-control. It makes even less sense for the other bakers to eat the remaining food, though. I’d like to think they’ve been in other competitions and had to restrain themselves during those competitions, so I don’t know why they went ahead in this episode other than the stuff sounding tasty. And I’m sure they’ve baked plenty of tasty things, so another tasty product shouldn’t mean THAT much to them. Finally, Pinkie devours the remaining desserts, so she lacks self-control as well. Seriously, this episode should’ve been more about self-control than just jumping to conclusions.

Overall, I wouldn’t say this episode was great, but it’s mindless fun if nothing else. The responsible parties are something of a problem, but the episode not being very serious on the whole mitigates the problem to a degree and helps with the enjoyment. I can’t apply that excuse to most two-parters of the show, and there happens to be another coming right up. I’ll just say immediately that I didn’t enjoy “A Canterlot Wedding”.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Number? said:

The main problem with "Ponyville Confidential" was that the problem presented was oversimplified. The CMC may have the ones going around and writing the stuff, but the Ponyville citizens enjoying the stuff and indirectly asking for more as well as never taking responsibility were ignored. And there were others who helped with making the newspapers, so you'd have to wonder what they were thinking as they made the stuff.

Aye, it was simplified to being the CMCs when it was a much bigger problem with how ponyville behaved. As for how the others treated it, I'd assume that they weren't fans, but Diamond Tiara was treating and running it like a business, and I can see why she would push for those gossips cause it's popular and make her name and brand grown so even if you have issues with it, business and financial wise you keep going with it. At least that's how I feel on her.

As for mmmystery on the friendship express, I have more problems with it then you it seems as I wasn't a fan of Pinkie's own friends would ruin the cake's own creation for their own greed and how everyone else did too. It just made everyone else look greedy for it. Also, good to see you're not that big of a fan of Canterlot wedding either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

As for mmmystery on the friendship express, I have more problems with it then you it seems as I wasn't a fan of Pinkie's own friends would ruin the cake's own creation for their own greed and how everyone else did too. It just made everyone else look greedy for it.

I do take some issue with all of the characters being unable to stop themselves from eating simple sweets, but the episode not being so serious made it less of a problem. It still is a problem, but I didn't mind it as much because of, again, the light-hearted tone of the episode.

• Like 1

A Canterlot Wedding

I can’t believe this episode is over 5 years old. There were plenty of promos as well as a host for this episode. I didn’t have the channel this show was on, but THANK GOD I still missed the first airing of “A Canterlot Wedding” anyways. Yeah, I think my feelings about this one are obvious, and I still think the premiere is better than this.

This is also the beginning of the end for Princess Celestia, but I’ll elaborate on this later.

We start with the Mane 6 having a picnic, but Spike shows up to deliver some important news from Celestia to Twilight. There is to be a wedding involving 2 characters that have never been alluded to but with allegedly major connections to Twilight. Since the wedding is to happen shortly, there is already a problem as weddings are hardly minor events and need plenty of time for planning, setting up, and a bunch of other things I’m too lazy to think of right now. And the wedding that is to happen has also not been set up at all for some reason. I don’t know how Celestia planned to get all of this done at the last minute. However, even if I disregard this illogical development, there are still a shitload of other and bigger problems with the episode that I’ll get to later.

Since I’ve just also mentioned the “new characters”, I’ll give a bit of my initial thoughts. I was hardly thrilled about the announcement of a new alicorn princess. Celestia and Luna were already good enough. Even though the show has done nothing with them so far, there have been at least a few implications that they’re special ponies, or at least not just regular ponies. Flowing manes, larger builds, being rulers, having an interesting if undramatized history, and no other alicorns being around before this are starting ideas for that point. So bringing in another alicorn for no reason felt like a dumb move since I didn’t know if the creative team would later just say, “Fuck it,” and then make more alicorns because why not? Eventually and shortly before the episode aired, I became more receptive to Cadance because the show could later expand on the lore of alicorns and princesses if the creative team wasn’t just mindlessly adding more of them to the show. And Cadance was even said to be Celestia’s niece. I didn’t know what to make out of that, but maybe the show might say something interesting. So I was hopeful. I enjoyed the current show, and the creative team couldn’t be filled with that many fuck-ups if I was enjoying things.

*sigh*

I can’t believe it’s already more than 5 years since that episode, but I was young and naive. As of now, I haven’t seen much of season 7, so I don’t know if Cadance or Shining Armor finally got to do something. Though at the same time, it wouldn’t matter to me at this point. And they’ve done SO DAMN LITTLE from season 2 to season 6. Yeah, by the end of season 6, they’ve been with the show longer than without, and they still haven’t done anything positively noteworthy. So why introduce them, label them as important, or connect them to Twilight at all? Oh right, to attract as many viewers as they can for this episode’s first airdate. I’ve gone off the rails a bit, so to sum things up: I wouldn’t have minded the introduction of Cadance and Shining Armor if they get something important to do. Unfortunately, they did nothing in the episode, which only further hurts my ability to even try enjoying this episode. And as for Cadance being Celestia’s niece, the two have never interacted in the show. So I don’t know the point of making them related. Then again, this was never confirmed in the show, so I don’t know why the supplementary material even needed to say this.

Twilight reads the letters and is surprised to read about her brother. I think her immediate reaction matched the reactions of viewers who have been following this show. But she’s actually more irritated that Shining Armor himself didn’t tell Twilight about the wedding. It’s also strange that she never knew Cadance’s formal name, but I’ll just go with it.

Twilight claims that she and Shining Armor were close, but that doesn’t seem to match Twilight’s initial image from the premiere where she wasn’t interested in any kind of companionship. Then again, maybe she just didn’t want to go too far outside of Shining Armor (and maybe Cadance), which Twilight sort of confirms. No explanation is given for why exactly she felt that way, but whatever.

Then BBBFF plays. It’s a song I don’t give a crap about, but I’ll give my thoughts anyways. It just says that Twilight wasn’t interested in friendship, but she did care about Shining Armor because… he’s her brother. They got along so well that, according to the song, they never had a single fight. That is one BIG pill to swallow. Anyways, he’s far away in Canterlot being captain of the royal guards, and she misses him dearly. That’s pretty much it. It doesn’t have much to say other than Twilight loves her brother, but then again that had to be shown in some way, so fine. I still don’t care about the song, though. There is an admittedly good detail with Canterlot being covered with a barrier, but I also wonder if anyone was wondering why there was a barrier around Canterlot.

Back to the present, and Twilight reveals that Shining Armor is captain of the royal guards. He and the guards have learned well from Princess Celestia as this episode and later ones will show. I’m being half-sarcastic, by the way.

The Mane 6 are on the train to Canterlot, and it won’t take over an entire night like the previous episode. Twilight adds that she and her brother have been interacting less often over time. You could have fooled me.

After the Mane 6 get to Canterlot, Twilight is still steamed at her brother and goes off to confront him. As she moves, there is a shot of Celestia looking around Canterlot with a telescope. At least that alicorn tries, but trying isn’t good enough with too many stupid failures and (less than) zero successes. Twilight finally meets with SA, and he explains that he has been too busy maintaining the barrier. Well, he only adds additional magic to the barrier only occasionally, so I’m sure he could’ve sent a letter himself explaining this. Why couldn’t Celestia and Luna help? Did they try asking “Cadance for help? Why is Shining Armor the only one who can make this large barrier? Also, Celestia and Canterlot were vaguely threatened. WHY HAVE A WEDDING THEN? Couldn’t it wait if the groom is too busy? It’s not like there’d need to be major overhauls since weddings are so easy to prepare in Equestria.

SA asks his sister to be his best mare, which she immediately accepts. Then he reveals the identity of his bride, Cadance. Another flashback plays, but it’s with Cadance and Twilight. Apparently, Cadance was already crowned a princess at a young age. And how old is she compared to Twilight? Maybe an adolescent while Twilight was a filly. I still would like to know the aging process for alicorns, and Cadance was already an alicorn even at a young age. Again, I would’ve liked an expansion. There is a couple who may or may not be married arguing, but Cadance uses a spell to fix that. So what did she do exactly? Did she just soothe them with her magic or force them to fall in love (assuming the couple wasn’t married)? According to Twilight, Cadance was spreading love. But “Hearts and Hooves” showed that forcing love is a bad idea. That episode may have used a potion, but I don’t know how a magic potion and a magic spell are so different.

The episode cuts back to the present, and Princess Cadance finally appears. She’s definitely not the Cadance from the flashback as this one is obviously cold and uncaring. What already gives this away is her not reacting to Twilight’s childhood gesture as well as the eerie music in the background. Oh, and her magic is green instead of blue like the flashback showed.

OK, time to make some comments about Chrysalis/Fake Cadance. First off, Fake Cadance is UNSUBTLE. She makes a lot of “evil glares” as well as speaking and acting in such nasty manners that I have to wonder how the other characters didn’t notice any of this. And the episode tries to surprise us with an actual good Cadance. I suppose not everyone will catch the different colors of magic, but Chrysalis’s take  was so unsubtle and different from the flashback that the Cadance that first shows up is OBVIOUSLY an imposter. Or at least not herself. Actually, do you know what would’ve been an interesting twist? What if that nasty Cadance was the REAL one? Then again, I don’t know how this could be done since Celestia would have to be blind or stupid(er than usual) to not notice something wrong with her “niece”. Bottom line: Fake Cadance is too obvious and over-the-top, and not in a good way. I’ll put in more comments and explanations as they come.

Fake Cadance checks on Twilight’s friends to see how they’re preparing for the big wedding. She goes to AJ to check the food, and pretends to be impressed while trashing the ones she got as a gift. Then she goes to Rarity and is clearly unimpressed with Rarity’s efforts. She also disses the bridesmaids’ dresses. But the bridesmaids themselves like the dresses only for Fake Cadance to return a nasty glare, and the bridesmaids become uncomfortable. Are they even aware of that princess’s attitude? Why stick around with her? Did Chrysalis hypnotize them? If Chrysalis could cause hypnosis, why not weaponize that ability? Again, Chrysalis as Fake Cadance was so unsubtle and even in-your-face in these scenes that I wonder if the writers were even trying. Why keep the truth hidden for so long if there was obviously something so wrong? If anything, they were trying too hard with Fake Cadance. Too bad she couldn’t even be funny. But I will admit that I chuckled with the Pinkie Pie stuff.

Night time, and Luna shows up to take Celestia’s shift. This episode is supposed to explain that Luna is nocturnal, but she’s been up during the daytime for various reasons (as in, not for “royal duties”). So, uh… I don’t know.

The Mane 6 are on a break somewhere in Canterlot, and Twilight tries to convince her friends that Fake Cadance is a dick. Twilight’s friends disagree and believe that Cadance is a nice and good pony. I guess they don’t know nonverbal communication, but then again this is not uncommon in fiction, so I’ll let this excuse slide. What I can’t excuse are her friends’ excuses and how Twilight tried to explain herself. For the former, they assume that Twilight just doesn’t want Shining Armor to be away after marriage. Did you ponies ever consider that Twilight knows Cadance better than all of you and is actually the only one who personally knows Cadance as well? Apparently not. This leads to my problem with Twilight’s explanations. She should’ve mentioned the lack of reaction to the childhood gesture as the major tip-off. There’s simply no excuse for that. Her friends can’t say Cadance is too stressed out or busy about the wedding because she still could’ve easily acknowledged Twilight and/or her gesture. Something like, “I don’t have time for this, Twilight.” Actually, I didn’t remember this until rewatch, but Fake Cadance never calls Twilight’s name, which is still another tip-off.

Continuing with the episode, Twilight storms out on her friends to check on her brother. The siblings meet, but Fake Cadance happens to be nearby and goes to a private room with Shining Armor. And Fake Cadance continues to be an unsubtle dick for some reason. I’ll admit that I laughed at this part, but it was out of derision instead of amusement. Twilight notices Fake Cadance using a spell on SA, and I guess hypnosis was involved. Again, why not weaponize that spell? I’m sure it could still help with the feeding-the-Changelings-with-love stuff. Twilight runs out, and Luna makes a random remark as Twilight passes. Weird. Twilight tries to warn her friends, but they’ve been completely swept over to Fake Cadance’s side as her new bridesmaids. I have to wonder how Chrysalis approached them since she never tried to hide her nastiness.

Celestia practices the wedding with everyone except Twilight. There is a fairly good detail of RD being excited about all this. At the start of the episode, she pretended to be uninterested, and now she willing to show that she’s eager and not just for doing a Sonic Rainboom.

Unfortunately, a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY fucking stupid scene plays after this even if I ignore the episode right before this one and “Lesson Zero”. Actually, I didn’t just cringe while watching the scene. I stopped midway and had to look up the transcript for the dialogue. That’s right, I couldn’t finish the end of the first episode. I actually didn’t need the transcript as I already remember how this scene goes as well as its stupidity, but I didn’t remember every line. Twilight barges in the room and makes a bunch of accusations without trying to back herself up. It’s really her delivery that was stupid. She basically goes around shouting, “Cadance is evil!” like a maniac. Yeah, that’s going to convince everyone else. Shining Armor, under a spell obviously, chews out Twilight, and he leaves. For some reason, Twilight’s friends and Celestia leave Twilight behind as well for… some reason. Why didn’t any of them confront Twilight for her behavior, again? Didn’t Twilight also help with saving Equestria twice already? Celestia should’ve tried to get more out of Twilight for that reason even though Twilight was acting like an idiot. Also, this episode doesn’t show Celestia being much of a parental figure to Twilight, so I can count that as another terrible effort in portraying their relationship.

Twilight is alone and heartbroken, and sings a short reprise of BBBFF about feeling abandoned. Then Fake Cadance goes up to Twilight and sends her to some underground dungeon. And Fake Cadance makes a stupid-looking evil smile while doing this. Yeah, if it isn’t obvious, Chrysalis as Fake Cadance sucks. Also, why send Twilight away when she already lost? Chrysalis stupidly blew her cover for no reason because Twilight was finally convinced that Fake Cadance is the real one. We’re already off to a bad start, and I’m sadly only halfway through because I have to cover the next part. Goddammit. I’m already hating this. See, that’s one of the reasons I tend to hate the a bad 2-parter more than a bad standalone episode. Those standalone episodes are SHORTER, and the 2-parters are LONGER, meaning I have to sit through more stupidity in the case of “A Canterlot Wedding”.

*heavy sigh*

Next episode. Twilight is in that underground dungeon, and Fake Cadance talks to her for some reason. Twilight blasts the dungeon to try hitting the reflections of Fake Cadance (why does that always happen in fiction?), and she blows up another part of a dungeon which reveals the real Cadance. Just so you know, if I use “Cadance” by itself, I’m referring to the real one. Anyways, Cadance has been trapped underground for… how long, by the way? Why did she never try breaking herself out? The two then try to escape while Fake Cadance is being annoying with her constant evil laughter. Also, I will refer to Fake Cadance as Chrysalis to try to avoid confusion. I don't know how many people who read my stuff understand what I write, though.

And we get a villain song. I should be excited, but too bad this villain song sucks. First, Chrysalis sings about fooling everyone else while being over-the-top in a bad way by trying too hard with the evil glares and smiles. Next, Cadance sings about being dejected for possibly missing her wedding. Cut back to Chrysalis who still sings that she doesn’t care about Shining Armor while still being too in-your-face about her evil nature with some stomping and kicking. It’s Cadance’s turn, and she wants to save her fiancé before he makes a bad move. There’s a decent scene of Cadance trying desperately to push a rock cart but is too weak to do so and seems to be losing hope. Chrysalis is thrilled about the wedding while Cadance is trying desperately to catch up. OK, I was exaggerating about the song sucking. The lyrics are actually good since it shows a good contrast between Cadance and Chrysalis. So when I said that the villain song sucks, I mean the delivery sucks. The writers tried too hard showing Chrysalis being evil that she is instead looking stupid and silly. Does she need to carry a huge evil grin all the time? And I don’t know how this lack of subtlety even in-universe passes by everyone else. Cadance’s part wasn’t bad, but the problem with her is that she’s a nobody in this episode. Only the song says anything important about her, which just amounts to her loving SA and wanting to get to her wedding. In other words, I don't care for the villain song.

The wedding is getting started, but Twilight and Cadance haven’t quite escaped as they are still underground and have to deal with the hypnotized old bridesmaids. So have those bridesmaids been staying underground the entire time? The two soon get to the wedding, and the real Cadance shows up, surprising everybody. I just have to wonder, since Cadance is Celestia’s “niece”, did the latter ever check up on the former? If so, did Celestia ever notice Cadance’s off behavior, or is Celestia THAT unfamiliar with all of her family members? Yes, I am referring Twilight and Luna as well since she barely interacts with both over the show. Of course, that “niece” bullshit was from promos and supplementary material, but knowing that info when first watching this episode still got me wondering.

Cadance explains that the imposter is the Changeling queen, and the species take on the form of other ponies and feeds on love, something Equestria happens to have plenty of. Chrysalis is forced to reveal herself, and I’ll admit that she and her changelings have an interesting design with the fangs, black bodies, transparent insect-like wings, and holes in the limbs that really remind me more of Swiss cheese. The queen explains that Shining Armor and his magical shield are getting weaker and plans to conquer Equestria so she can feed her minios. Since SA is under Chrysalis’s spell, why not make him lower the shield completely?

Celestia finally appears out of nowhere. Seriously, where the hell was she? She should’ve been visible from all the angles that showed Chrysalis, but Celestia vanished during this whole time. That simply shows what the creative team thought of the alicorn. Fuck you, assholes.

Princess Celestia plans to preemptively stop the villain on the spot for the first time ever in the show, but she loses. If it isn’t obvious, I hate this scene and this fight, if you can even call this a fight. All they do is blast a single laser that collide, and Celestia is overwhelmed. That’s it. Hardly something I call exciting. I don’t give a fuck about Chrysalis struggling, being surprised, or having SA’s “love” augmenting her power. Those are just bullshit excuses to flimsily explain Celestia’s loss. It’s not like Celestia could ever win anyways. She can’t beat the queen on the spot because the victory would have been too easy and anticlimactic. Maybe a bigger and longer showdown could’ve been done with Celestia eventually winning, but I don’t know how they could pull that off. Cadance and Shining Armor might also not get anything to do. If they get nothing to do, why bring them into the episode at all? What enrages me about this “fight” more than it should is that there are ZERO attempts from the writers to deal with this loss. Fuck you again, assholes.

Celestia tells the Mane 6 to grab the Elements of Harmony so Chrysalis can be dealt with. What were the other guests in the wedding room doing? They won’t be present again until the wedding happens again, so where did they go? The Changelings break through the magical barrier and eventually surround the Mane 6. And the changeling minions decide to disguise themselves as those ponies. Is that even a good idea? It might throw off the Mane 6, but it will also confuse the changelings themselves as the upcoming fight shows. The fight itself was decent, and I admittedly enjoyed it during my first viewing. But I have become so jaded that I don’t care about it anymore. Next.

So the initial horde of minions have been defeated, and this is proof that these ponies can fight. If only that could happen more often in these kinds of episodes, but more on that issue when it becomes relevant in future episodes. The Mane 6 go to the tower that has the Elements, but they are met with more Changelings. How did those minions even get in? And the Mane 6 eventually lose and are captured since I guess there are far too many minions even though these ponies just dealt with a large number beforehand.

Next scene. Celestia is in a… chrysalis, and that will be her usual position for future 2-parters. Oh joy. Why is Cadance not in a chrysalis, by the way? Queen Chrysalis muses that everyone except Twilight was able to see through her disguise. Honestly, they were all idiots. Twilight for being ineffective at presenting her suspicions, and everyone else was oblivious to Chrysalis’s overly direct nature. The rest of the Changelings to feed whatever love they find, and the royal pony guards will apply the lessons they’ve learned from Princess Celestia. And Chrysalis sings a reprise of her villain song. It’s actually decent this time since she isn’t trying to hard with evil smiles and whatever, but I also don’t care at this point. If you’ve managed to scroll through this huge text, can you even say that the review has an enthusiastic tone?

Twilight uses a spell to free Cadance from the sticky hold, and I wonder why Cadance didn’t try freeing herself sooner. Cadance then manages to free her fiancé with some love spell, but Chrysalis crashes the reunion. Shining Armor tries to cast a shielding spell, I guess, but he’s too weak from… I don’t know. Cadance approaches him and says her love will give him strength. However, Chrysalis laughs them off for some reason. Didn’t she just beat Celestia with “love”? So the wedding couple starts casting their magic, and Cadance stops looking disheveled somehow. They create some repellent spell out of love, and the Changelings are thrown away from Equestria. And another anticlimactic victory has just ended. Fuck you still, assholes.

I wish the episode could already be done, but it’s not! We still have the wedding from the title to wrap up. Why must this be so long?! A montage with Cadance being nice and approving of the stuff plays, and now the wedding finally gets to happen. Oh, and Twilight’s parents are in the background. I don’t remember seeing them before. The CMC are also the new bridesmaids for some reason, so I still wonder what happened to the first ones. Fast forward because I’m sick of writing about this fucking episode. Cadance and SA are married, they greet a crowd, Celestia praises Twilight for trusting her own instincts even though the episode is hardly about that idea, and RD makes a Rainboom. Next.

It’s night time, and Luna asks if she missed anything. Was that meant to be funny? And there’s one final song that must play. “Love is in Bloom” is not bad, I guess. It just congratulates SA and Cadance for their love and marriage. Then again, my feelings about this episode prevent me from enjoying that song, anyways. And there are some photos, and the Mane 6 plus Spike are happy. The end.

My feelings in short: THESE EPISODES FUCKING SUCK. But this post has gotten pretty long, so I’ll relay more of my thoughts in the next post.