Number95

Another MLP:FIM review thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

You know what is sad? There was a story to be told around there somewhere about the great heroes passing down the torch to the next generation. But it's so goddamn confused about itself it makes me think there never really was anyone at the helm of this ship and it kept falling in the same waterfall every single season. I don't understand how one can do that.

I do think the show can be competent as most of its single episodes show, and then we have the two-part episodes. And "Magic Sheep". It didn't need to be more ambitious to be good, and those single episodes are still examples of that.

14 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

The fucking things were already just a big stick anyone could pick up and use thanks to that mentally challenged comic.

I haven't read the comics in a long time. Can you explain this?

14 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Discord's defeat in  season two is exactly what I'm asking. WHEN LAUREN FAUST WAS STILL IN THE FUCKING SHOW!

I don't know if Lauren Faust sticking around would've helped the show if the first two seasons were anything to go by as the show still didn't play enough with the more interesting ideas it brought up. Then again, the show has been without her for almost its entire run that the show could easily turn out much differently than it is now, but there isn't too much of a point over wondering what could have been since they never happened and could just as easily turned out wasteful and clueless for any reason

14 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

I have a lot of stuff to say about how Season 9 ended, but I'm not sure if Number has seen it yet.

I haven't seen the end of season 9 yet, and I still have a few episodes to go over before I get to that point. However, I won't be going through those episodes very quickly as rambling about MLP isn't a priority for me right now.

If you really want, you can express your thoughts anyways as I don't mind spoilers, though I'm not sure if there's much to spoil. I haven't read too much about the final episodes yet as I'm not terribly curious about how the show ends, and there's not much of a point in doing so as I know I would never be satisfied with how the show ended.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Number95 said:

I haven't read the comics in a long time. Can you explain this?

Was talking about the arc with the alternate dimension King Sombra. He just yanks the Elements and uses them as he sees fit.

2 hours ago, Number95 said:

I don't know if Lauren Faust sticking around would've helped the show if the first two seasons were anything to go by as the show still didn't play enough with the more interesting ideas it brought up. Then again, the show has been without her for almost its entire run that the show could easily turn out much differently than it is now, but there isn't too much of a point over wondering what could have been since they never happened and could just as easily turned out wasteful and clueless for any reason

I recent conversation I had on Reddit brought up that Lauren had the whole game plan for the show prepared in her head and when she left the team was kind of doing anything they thought they should with little unifying vision to speak of. It was said by Meghan McCarthy in an interview, apparently.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, Number95 said:

If you really want, you can express your thoughts anyways as I don't mind spoilers, though I'm not sure if there's much to spoil. I haven't read too much about the final episodes yet as I'm not terribly curious about how the show ends, and there's not much of a point in doing so as I know I would never be satisfied with how the show ended.

 

If that's the case, let me give it a generalized analysis.

If you haven't already guessed, the finale (outside the final episode, which basically serves as an epilogue) was rushed - IMO, it's probably the most rushed one since Season 6. One too many ideas crammed into it, with one of them not only not having enough build up, but was also recycled from a previous season.

And that's about it. I was expecting to write something more. Oh well.

Edited by WaterPulse
"Something about it seen"... and nothing else to add to that sentence fragment.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

If that's the case, let me give it a generalized analysis.

If you haven't already guessed, the finale (outside the final episode, which basically serves as an epilogue) was rushed - IMO, it's probably the most rushed one since Season 6. One too many ideas crammed into it, with one of them not only not having enough build up, but was also recycled from a previous season.

And that's about it. I was expecting to write something more. Oh well.

I understand what you mean. "Something about it seemed..." Vapid" is the word you're looking for. 

Near the end the cartoon tried so hard to tell a message about inclusivity that diversity lost its meaning.

The message about how everyone is important, not only Twilight was so heavy handed I'm left wondering what even is the point of her being put up as so important, which is exactly the problem with Celestia.

It's an utopia where the good guys have the right of way and other cultures are represented as quirky versions of the same thing instead of different cultures with different agendas. Kinda like someone made a movie were the christians and muslims united against the big bad evil guy by praying to Jesus. Surrounded by fanservice.

That sounds about right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

I understand what you mean. "Something about it seemed..." Vapid" is the word you're looking for. 

Near the end the cartoon tried so hard to tell a message about inclusivity that diversity lost its meaning.

The message about how everyone is important, not only Twilight was so heavy handed I'm left wondering what even is the point of her being put up as so important, which is exactly the problem with Celestia.

It's an utopia where the good guys have the right of way and other cultures are represented as quirky versions of the same thing instead of different cultures with different agendas. Kinda like someone made a movie were the christians and muslims united against the big bad evil guy by praying to Jesus. Surrounded by fanservice.

That sounds about right?

Yeah, it does sound right. Thank you for helping me put it into words.

Also, that McCarthy interview you mentioned kind of explains why the quest plots kind of went downhill in the show's second half. Not that it didn't have problems before that, but there was some sort of stability to it. I'm guessing it's due to Season 5 was wrapping up most of the last major plots that had originated in the start of the show - Luna getting over her demons, the CMC getting their Cutie Marks, Twilight solidifying her title as Princess of Friendship by stopping Tirek and Starlight - that when they tried to add new elements to it - including Throax becoming King, Flurry Heart's origin, the Pillars of Old Equestria, the School of Friendship - they didn't try to change their approach on telling these stories.

Edited by WaterPulse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

The message about how everyone is important, not only Twilight was so heavy handed I'm left wondering what even is the point of her being put up as so important, which is exactly the problem with Celestia. 

That's also contradictory as Twilight (or at least Twilight and friends) are the most important characters, at least in Equestria. "The Cutie Re-Mark" essentially dug (another) grave for the show.

57 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

I'm guessing it's due to Season 5 was wrapping up most of the last major plots that had originated in the start of the show - Luna getting over her demons, the CMC getting their Cutie Marks, Twilight solidifying her title as Princess of Friendship by stopping Tirek and Starlight - that when they tried to add new elements to it - including Throax becoming King, Flurry Heart's origin, the Pillars of Old Equestria, the School of Friendship - they didn't try to change their approach on telling these stories.

I'm gonna be petty and say that the bolded stuff were hardly done well. As in, what was the point of wrapping up those "arcs" if they were meaningless from the start? Yeah, Twilight was learning about friendship throughout the show, but that's hardly why she is just as good as (as in, better than) the other princesses.

When you mentioned those new elements, I'm guessing that they ended up getting hardly any exploration. I find it hard to believe that the School of Friendship wasn't used much in the show, but it's not like I'll ever watch the remaining episodes of season 8 and 9 to form my own opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was something else about "The Beginning of the End" that also bugged me, but I didn't mention it earlier because I couldn't quite put my thoughts into words. When the state of Equestria worsened as Sombra's hold strengthened, the episode tried to convey that the main characters (especially Twilight) were in over their heads, and the end of the episode pretty much confirms as such since Twilight was given some actual preparation time before becoming the new ruler of Equestria. However, Equestria has been in some deep shit multiple times, so why was this case so bad compared to the others? Maybe it's because Twilight and friends were the ones who had to prove themselves capable, especially without additional help. It's true that even though Equestria has been in deep shit multiple times, that doesn't mean one should think less of this event. However, that leads to another problem I have.

The episode itself even noted that the Mane 6 don't ever get additional help against supervillains. Celestia, Luna, and Star Swirl stepping in late into the episode was supposed to confirm that the Mane 6 did in fact need help after all, but their participation (at least from the sisters) felt arbitrary instead as they finally decide to be of some use in this episode when they could have easily participated in other 2-part episodes.

I guess what I'm saying is that the episode's attempt to emphasize the gravity of the Mane 6 (or at least Twilight) being unprepared for bigger responsibilities and not yet ready to take the princesses' places felt hollow.

Hopefully, this makes some sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now