Sign in to follow this  
Masturboy84

(Political) Word "Virgin" Being Used As An Insult

Recently, some guy known as George Takei made a poll on some sort of website called Twitter, he didn't like the result so he claimed it was hijacked by "virgins", and this brings me to something i have noticed before.

But first, i forgot to mention that this guy describes himself as homosexual and constantly brags about how much into embracing sexual liberty and tolerate diversity he is. So it comes as an irony (but not a surprise) that he points out some difference in other people's sexual life as a way to bash said persons.

I believe this is indicative of how people behaves when a certain behaviour which was previously deemed repugnant becomes accepted so they can no longer use that as an insult but they still want to derogate someone else for being different, so are virgins the new scorned minority which is ok to mock in a society where homosexuality is mainstream? What do you think?

PS: this is not about virginity itself, i'm not interested in knowing whether it's good or bad or if you're a virgin at all. It's about the way the word is used and why it's considered as an insult.

I've seen posts online where 'virgin' is used as an insult. Based on what you described of Twitter, I can presume it is based on the toxic or safe space environment. Toxic for insults being acceptable, but it is a famous person, who cares right? How dare someone would criticize George Takei for something so irrelevant to his career. A mere post on the Internet, of many. Safe space would be any criticism or disagreement would be removed comments or even banning people from viewing his Twitter profile. Twitter posts should not be taken seriously when it comes to jabs, insults and satire. I personally find it silly how seriously people take Twitter posts and what is said online by famous celebrities from all walks of life. I miss the days when Twitter was not used in News reports by celebrities of Hollywood and.. politics. Nevertheless it is lack of experience and the frustration thereof that makes 'virgin' an insult but it is rather petty namecalling. Probably anonymous users voted in the poll. On the subject of homosexuality being mainstream that would make 'virgin' not an insult, I would not know. Overall I find any name calling in general very petty.

I'm not calling for a ban, or blocking people. I'm just commenting about the way language changes, and the change in social attitudes that probably lies beneath. Wether ot not George Takei is an important person is not my central point either. I'm not a follower of Start Trek so i don't consider him so important, but i chose him as an example of the behaviour i wanted to point out.

It's been an easy go-to insult for a couple decades now. Nothing's wrong with virginity, don't try to take it to heart.

• Like 2

I know it's a common insult online, and often associated with nerd stereotypes (which only makes it more ironic when being used by G. Takei) but i have the feeling it's becoming more common outside the net, as in mainstream media (television and printed magazines/newspapers/etc.). For instance that guy Rick Wilson insulted Trump's supporters in a similar fashion.

As an insult, it tends to work on the assumption that all guys want to have sex early and often, so a virgin would be someone who has so far failed to convince anyone to indulge them. It's an attack on someone's masculinity and/or social competence.

"Slut" is also an insult, aimed at women typically, which suggests that guys should be having sex all the time, but girls should stay chaste and pure. There is a solution to this apparent contradiction, but then "gay" gets used insultingly as well, so that idea's out.

They're all just ways of being nasty and asserting an arbitrary sexual standard in the same word.

• Like 1