Elusive Slip

Equestria Tails Official RPG Streams and Meetups?

Hey. I've heard something about people planning to livestream sessions of MLP: Equestria Tails the RPG when it comes out. But I haven't been able to find anything about it, nor even discussions on the forum.

I thought I'd make a thread on the subject, so people can start considering meet-ups, post about planned live-streams, and play by post games. I really hope this makes a splash in the tabletop scene.

To start with a topic, who is planning to get the RPG?

While its not the the Equestrian Tails Rpg, I'm part of a small group that does the old Roleplaying is Magic game (http://roleplayingismagic.com/),  don't know  how it compares to Equestria Tails but the play mechanics are sound, we're in campaign current  but we're still looking for one more player. Look for "Equestria Chronicles" in the Paper Pony thread. Our GM is really good to, we're having a lot of fun. 

I've had a day with the Tails of Equestria book. The system is simple and appears to be HIGHLY random at a glance, but actually seems pretty reasonable once you really get in to. A 1d4, the lowest stat, compared to a 1d20, the highest stat can both still roll a 1. Talents, in many cases, add an extra die to an attempt. Teaming up means difficulty is decreased while both ponies roll, giving better odds between all the extra dice and the lower difficulty to get the success you need. Friendship and cooperation are very beneficial because of this.

Speaking of friendship, it comes in to play as an actual resource with allows players even more control over the randomness of the dice. There are default recommendations for how much friendship it takes for say... a re-roll to an automatic success. Of course the Game Master (GM), aka storyteller, is encouraged to adjust this as they feel is appropriate.

The setting further backs up the randomness. It specifically says Rainbowdash has a d20 for flying. Yet we also know her as RainbowCRASH. In a cartoon world were slightly more ridiculous things are common place, mishap rolls (rolling a 1) can actually be a great source of entertainment instead of frustration. Anyone who's every played a Dungeon & Dragon's style game and had a mishap really make things hard (or worse, kill their character!) can hopefully appreciate bad rolls actually being, dare I say it, fun! The season 6 episode, Rainbow Crash, is basically an entire episode about recovering a mishap.

From a storytelling perspective, I do have to share a bit of advice based on personal experience: Keep it to the theme of the show. That means the group will work best actually striving for friendship. Also, despite the dangers of Equestria, death and especially murder should be avoided as much as possible. I say this because I had a failed Pokemon tabletop campaign that attempted to be more Noir. The whole thing fell apart because people willing to kill just didn't work in the Pokemon world, and a party that was filled with distrust lead to a very fragmented game. Basically, everyone was playing their own story and just happened to be in the same room as the other players. The Tails of Equestria book even warns players not to be a super anti-social introvert because the game just doesn't work if everypony won't participate!

Long ramble aside... I do plan to share my modules on the table-top section of the EQ daily forum as I have them ready. I'd like them to get 1 play test from my group before I share them, just to add a little polish.

• Like 1

I just got the book too, I'm already doing a roleplaying is magic game  in paper pony forums (link in my previous post above you)  but please, please post your guy's game, I'd love to read or listen to it. 

• Like 1

I have the EQ Tails Core Rule Book and the 1st expansion box set. It seems easy to play, but I'm the only one I know of that's into MLP in my area. Are there any thoughts of running a campaign via the forum, where players post their actions taking turns and a GM gives results and keeps things running?