Sign in to follow this  
VG_Addict

Don't know what job I want.

What country are you from? Have you gone to college yet? Did you graduate High School?

What kind of skills do you have? Do you have any experience? Do you live in a city environment or a rural environment?

Like what @MoltenKitten said, what interests you?

12 minutes ago, MoltenKitten said:

well what interests you?

I like being on the computer.

I'm thinking about learning computer programming. 

Programming is deep into mathematics, and I personally would also recommend taking a foreign language beforehand.

Also, generic computer programming isn't the only thing that could interest you.

There's:

You could also speak with a career counselor who may have further comments.

Join the Navy. I got friends who will tell you about the god awful wonderful time they had cleaning the ballast tanks of nuclear submarines.

12 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Programming is deep into mathematics, and I personally would also recommend taking a foreign language beforehand.

Also, generic computer programming isn't the only thing that could interest you.

There's:

You could also speak with a career counselor who may have further comments.

This. 

As a second year Software Engineering student I can't stress hard enough on how important those are.

There are some fundamentals you need to have before going into the Software Engineering field. You absolutely must have a solid understanding of the English language, experience using Computers and at least a good understanding of high-school level mathematics. Discreet Mathematics and Trigonometry are the dominant kinds of math one uses when actually developing software, but others such as Combinatorics and Relativity Theories also show up now and then.

The more Hardware and Software usage focused sides, System Administration and IT, involve a good bit of theoretical knowledge, firm grasps of basic Electrical Engineering and Management. However they're more focused on maintaining Computers, workstations, large networks and servers.

There are other fields such as Hardware Engineering, however that focuses more on the actual design and construction of computer hardware.

• Like 1

Or simply don't listen to forum users who have no idea who you are, what your proficiencies are and what level of education you actually received.

Keep in mind that people here can only give you ideas, but please don't make such an important decision based on comments on a pony forum.

My two bits.

• Like 2

Don't worry man. Developers do not exist anymore. In fact, they just use huge libraries and other frameworks to write the code quickly x)

Every year or so I try to learn computer programming on my own. It always goes really well until I run up against some #%$@ simple thing I want to make my ultra-basic program do, and it just will. not. do. it, and I don't know why and there's no one I can ask and no possible reason I can see why an error should be happening, and then I throw my hands up in frustration and abandon the whole thing.

So if you do want to go into programming, make sure you have some form of experienced support.