Sign in to follow this  
VG_Addict

College.

I take online college courses because I can't drive. I'm worried I'll have trouble getting a job because I took my courses online.

Most companies won't care whether your degree is from an online course or a regular course, they're all recognized. And if an Online course is the only thing that works for you then more power to you for actually taking it, instead of waiting.

Depends on what you do with it.

Sure, your future employer could say that it is not as good as a degree where you actually have to visit lectures. Because when someone is talking to you, you can actually ask questions and it's kinda the "norm" for studies.

However, on the other side, a good online degree will allow you to argue that you are someone who is able to manage his own schedule, and knows how to work independently. It could also be an argument that you are apt at learning new things on your own.

I have made the experience that people stopped using grades or schools as a single measurement for the skills of an employee. They rather look at the personal history, soft skills (How good developed are his abilities to work in a team, get along with others, hold presentations, be polite... things like these.) and special skills. You can have people with an ace degree from a very known university, but he might turn out as someone who is unable to fit in your project, while someone who has a online degree will be just the guy you need.

So honestly? There is a chance that your employer could bring it up. But it is your responsibility to sell yourself well. Be prepared to counter that question, maybe by bringing up all the things you can learn in an online course that is hard to learn in a lecture (like self management) and be confident.

Life isn't determined by grades or degrees, it's about what you do with what you got given.