cjhoward

What was the first fan song that you heard and how did you react

I remember being in school watching episodes in another tab and trying to hide it and searching for winter wrap up to download and I accidentally clicked on the living tombstone's remix of it so I just let it play, started off nice and slow but then the guitar came in and I was completely blown away and started doing a seat dance and banging my head and I'm sure I got some weird looks but at the time it was completely worth it.  

Oh gosh, the first? That was like five years ago. It was probably one of the original artists like WoodenToaster, TheLivingTombstone, or MicTheMicrophone.

I don't remember my initial reaction, but as the fandom matured, so has its musical tastes. In the early days there was so much Dubstep. So. Much. Dubstep.

Nowadays there's a whole variety- including Dubstep- of music.

*scroll back through 5 years of liked videos*

That's also how I've learned about Fighting is Magic.

(the original was great too. Fitting theme for best pony)

6 minutes ago, Green Arrow said:

My first song was Awoken, and damn I loved it! Because of Awoken, I started reading about the Rainbow Factory and got into MLP a little more~

Holy crap how did I forget about this song. Yeah, same story here, this was one of my favorites, not so much anymore, as my tastes have changed, but it's still catchy.

3 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Oh gosh, the first? That was like five years ago. It was probably one of the original artists like WoodenToaster, TheLivingTombstone, or MicTheMicrophone.

I don't remember my initial reaction, but as the fandom matured, so has its musical tastes. In the early days there was so much Dubstep. So. Much. Dubstep.

Nowadays there's a whole variety- including Dubstep- of music.

I remember that in the early days too, almost all the music was electronic especially Dubstep which I really didn't get at the time. Being a metal and rock fan I was really happy when I found stuff like ShinZm, bronyfied and metalcorepony.

1 hour ago, AaronMk said:

Literally the song and person to kick off the whole Brony-music scene.

2011 says allow, newbies.

For the longest time I never listened to this song because I was never a big Luna fan, now that I finally did I wonder why I didn't because it sounds great. 

Oh, boy, another trip down Nostalgia lane.

Hmm, first pony song I ever actually heard was Winter Wrap-up back in mid 2012 when someone played it using PlayX on the Garry's Mod server I was on.

I believe it was this version:

It was really catchy and I ended up listening to it on my own for a while, youtube's auto play led me to the old songs of Acoustic Brony, one good song led to another and I decided to look the show up. I ended up binge watching Season 1 and 2 and I've been here ever since.

32 minutes ago, Azalea Floria said:

This helped me get through some rough times of my teenage life back then.

Alllevels at once music was always great, my go to song was always pony should pony pony or go take flight.

I am probably going to regret this, but the first song I stumbled upon was probably a song by YellingAtCats, this one to be specific:

To be honest, it's even funnier considering that I didn't really like any form of rap at that time.

(And had to do some digging, because YAC removed all his content.)

Only afterwards I stumbled upon things like Rainbow Factory or works from Living Tombstone and AJTE.

3 hours ago, baltoist said:

Discord Living Tombstone Remix. Got hooked

Ditto, Living Tombstone's original remix video was the first fan song I ever heard and watched. I love the old fan songs, it was a lot of dub step but "wow, catchy". Many of the oldest fan musicians have moved to bigger things, but these old songs will always be nostalgic.

• Like 2

The first fan song that I've ever heard was a parody song called "Rarity Tears" by Superpsyguy, which it uses a remix of the theme "Bloody Tears" from Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest and adds some lyrics about Rarity; and that was back in early 2012 and I thought it sounded pretty cool. Kind of a shame that the original video has gone private a long time ago but at least someone decided to upload it again.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but Alex S. was definitely the first pony musician I heard music from in the fandom. Not a fan but that was what I first heard.

5 hours ago, Alpha268 said:

I am probably going to regret this, but the first song I stumbled upon was probably a song by YellingAtCats, this one to be specific:

To be honest, it's even funnier considering that I didn't really like any form of rap at that time.

(And had to do some digging, because YAC removed all his content.)

Only afterwards I stumbled upon things like Rainbow Factory or works from Living Tombstone and AJTE.

Oh wow I never seen that one before I like it though, I didn't really like rap much either until I started listening to Micthemicrophone. 

14 hours ago, cjhoward said:

Oh wow I never seen that one before I like it though, I didn't really like rap much either until I started listening to Micthemicrophone. 

I recommend listening to "Wanted in Equestria" and "Occupy Equestria", which are my favorites. Just keep your head cool, because YAC loved to provoke others, so his lyrics are... derogative at times.

8 hours ago, Alpha268 said:

I recommend listening to "Wanted in Equestria" and "Occupy Equestria", which are my favorites. Just keep your head cool, because YAC loved to provoke others, so his lyrics are... derogative at times.

Occupy Equestria was pretty good. Wanted in Equestria was okay and had a few good lines but felt like it was trying a bit to hard.

• Like 1

Well because of the way I started to organize my brony muzix, there isn't anything with a "last modified" date before 9 September 2011.

I will say that Cyril's Millennium Alone was definitely a big factor in my new obsession. First time through, I was like "WHY ARE THERE FEELS???" :gonkity:

Cutie Mark Crusaders Theme (Power Metal) by Joecoolman26 made me a believer in brony metal.

Alex S.'s Party with Pinkie was also something that helped me realize that yes, electronic music can be more than just a series of noises.

Fluttershy's Lament, linked above, was definitely instrumental in fomenting my appreciation for vocal chops.

On the classical side, it was actually a rather unique (and not entirely "classical") composition by somebody largely forgotten in the fandom that convinced me of the genre's viability. Dark Symphony's Nightmare Symphony.

This is a little late for "firsts" but I personally consider it a significant milestone. Towards the end of 2011, AJ the Engineer (aka Tsyolin) created an early landmark in symphonic brony music with his wonderful 20 minute tribute to season 1, Friendship Symphony No. 1 in D Major.

As for rap, of course I have to credit Swagberg's Pony Swag for making it legit. Aside from him it was a lot of Micthemicrophone for me, like this one.

For the not-easily-classifiable, Acousticbrony made a strong impression with their mane 6 themes, like La Couturiere (Rarity's Theme). Also have to give props to JackleApp and his Seasons EP, which made real waves outside the fandom when it jumped to the top of the Bandcamp charts back in 2012. Of course we'd been getting the tracks as they came out the previous year, the most popular of which being Summer. Also an early start for a certain TheLivingTombstone when he remixed it wubstyle.

I think that about covers my most memorable early days for each general category of music.

That's an interesting question. That was way back in October 2011 for me, so I'm struggling to remember which song it was exactly. It can't have been Tombstone's Discord remix since that was only released in January 2012. I'm pretty sure it was Alex S.'s Cutie Mark Crusaders Song Remix. I'm not completely sure when that was released and unfortunately I can't look it up since Alex S. deleted his old videos and only later reuploaded them again. Still, I'm pretty sure that happened to be the first brony song I ever heard. Another likely candidate is Glaze's Beyond Her Garden, which was released almost at the same time as I became a brony.

And how did I react? Well, I liked it. It also happened to be the first dubstep song I ever heard, so I guess that introduced me to that genre. After that, I started listening to more and more brony songs over the years. As for Beyond Her Garden, it still remains my favorite brony song to this day.

3 minutes ago, Animekitty47 said:

My first brony made song was:

A rather good introduction, wouldn't you say? :gleepony: 

Oh yes,if ponyphonic is what you hear first you know that your in for something great.

Well it's the first pone song on my favorites so that must mean something clearly.

Ye olde yeer 2011