Storm Lantern

Why did you join the fandom?

Currently a 17 year old from The middle of nowhere in Arizona

I jumped onto this train in late 2012 in the middle of season 3 like right before Princess Twilight and Equestira Girls were thought about.  A youtuber by the name of Adamwestslapdog mentioned something about MLP and the brony brotherhood, This made me curious so I did some digging and found the music from the show and liked it enough to start watching it. Stuck around ever since, Started Making Lyrics Videos and Tributes over on YouTube every once in a while , Poke my head around forums every once in a blue moon, and tried my hand in Fanfiction a little bit. That about sums up my life on the Internet for the past 3 years. 

I used to be a furry for years and had a heavy interest in the art, for obvious reasons and was a huge fan of Krystal from Star Fox (rivaled my interest in Trixie now)  I hit up a few conventions in my travels when I was still playing competitive laser tag but after I quit that I eventually found Pony Fortress 2 and eventually got hooked onto cute ponies and now this fandom takes up a lot of my time. :3

April or may 2014 was browsing youtube for hell knows what i honestly forget what got me to it but eventually stumble across a mlp video. the video to this day was none other than smiles hd literally smiles hd i kid you not. After watching it i thought omfg i need to know if anyone else watched this so i saw a couple of reacts and eventually saw a lot of the episodes of the show. since than i have been watching the show and recently came out to my family i watch the show. 

Basically it went like this for me..

A while back I was in my Professional Communications class in 8th Grade. My friend and I were just looking up stuff on the computer in the last few minutes of class when I noticed that he frequented this "Discorded Whooves" blog, and I asked him what it was about. He explained it to me and ended up explaining My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to understand why it was created. He wanted me to give the show a chance, and when I got home and did my homework as usual, I had a Wii with Netflix on it at the time so I decided to humor him, but for the life of me I can't understand why I chose to watch the first Equestria Girls Movie.....

When the movie ended(surprised it didn't turn me away from the show completely), I watched the actual show  since I didn't get some of the plot points and figured it would help me understand. I loaded up the first episode... Then the next..... And all of a sudden I watched all of Season 1 in one sitting...

That's basically it.

the fandom is also responsible for getting me into the Phoenix Wright series. How? Turnabout Storm

Edited by LuigiFan45
Format fix

In late 2011, I saw people talking about TF2 and MLP:FiM on an Ed, Edd n' Eddy forum I frequently posted on. Having then played TF2 for the first time and falling in love with it, I decided to watch the pilot of the MLP cartoon as I had heard good things about it - after all, if I didn't like it (I thought that would be the outcome), I could just forget about it and move on.

Ultimately, I loved it and was hooked and decided to watch new episodes every week. In addition to this, I started to go on the Legion of Ponies servers on TF2 as going on random Valve servers really wasn't fun. Anyways, I became a regular at LoP for a few months and was watching a lot of MLP. In 2012, I also then found Pony Fortress 2 and became a regular there.

I found that the brony community at LoP and PF2 were amazing and especially at PF2, I have had some of the best (and quite a few bad ones!) moments of my online life and met many awesome people who I still talk to today.

Because Friendship is Magic

My sister's ex was a brony and I just could not understand it at all. I teased him and he said "Just watch it." so I did.

And here I am doing something I never pictured doing: Obsessing over colorful horses.

• Like 1

I liked the show, thats about it :pinkieshrug:

But I will say it's the only show that's kept my attention this long. Most shows I like I lose interest in after about a month or two. This show I've been watching since the wait for season 2 and I show no sign of losing interest yet.

As well MLP cracked my shell open, if I never started watching it I would still be that weird guy who keeps to himself. I mean I still do but I'm more open to others.

My first exposure to ponies was in October 2010. I was on 4chan's /b/ board at the time. People started posting pony memes, and I was genuinely intrigued. Then came the Derpy Hooves memes. Those killed me on a psychological level due to their hilarity. I started using those memes a lot, and eventually, a year later, somepony thought I was a brony. I was really just having fun with the irony of it.

They linked me a video; I liked it. I started to go on a Youtube-pony binge. After a year and a half of this, I decided to give the show a chance. I watched the first two episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. At the time there was only two seasons, so there wasn't much to watch. I stayed up, binge-watching a show intended for little girls, and I genuinely enjoyed it. However, due to many insecurities, I was in the closet about a lot of things, and I didn't want hint towards any of those things (I was a closet bisexual and trans girl). I didn't want people to make fun of me for being "girly", so I put down to show for a good three years, after I came out of the closet. It was late 2014. A friend had linked me another pony related video. It was PONIES: The Anthology III I believe. Anthology had made me laugh so hard.

After watching Anthology III, I decided to give the show another chance. I re-watched the entire show from the beginning of season 1. I ended up falling in love with the show. I was hooked. I started hanging out on the /mlp/ board on 4chan, and the /r/MyLittlePony subreddit. I started to go on Equestria Daily and MLPForums. I seeked out people with the same interests, and that was when I realized I was a brony.

And that's how bronies are made, kids! :awesomecheer:

Before there were FiM and bronies, I developed an interest of MLP Tales back in 2010. When I discovered the term "brony" in mid 2011, I switched my interest from Tales to FiM, and became a brony ever since.

My friend want me to watch it because he said it was good.

I did not watch it until some random youtube appeared about ponies and such as I began to watch ytp. Then slowly I began to start the series and like it as normal.

Then Trixie appears, that's changes everything.

• Like 1

It was a cold winter day here in Oklahoma in the year of 2011 i had been tasked with watching my little sister while my mom and little brother went somewhere(we had a backseat with only one seatbelt) we were on netflix when i rembered i had to clean the house before my dad(at work) came home so i found something that looked Uber-girly(Mlp:fim) and put it on while i was cleaning i noticed that i was laughing at some of the jokes i was hearing and not just because they were bad so after the episode was over i replayed amd watched it with my sister then finshed the whole first season the next day and the rest is history.

I became a brony about 2 months ago.

For the past year I have watched sfms for entertainment. I stumbled across a video called 1 day off and thought this wasn't so bad. So I clicked on the creators channel who was Herostrain and thought to myself "What is this weird pony crap." I decided to watch immeasurable evil and instantly got hooked on it. I then watched out of the frying pan which I thought was just absolutely amazing.

So I decided to look up pony sfm on youtube and watched a video called my Little Dashie.

After this I read the fanfiction and before I knew it I was getting all emotional about some magic ponies that don't even exist. I didn't think I would actually watch the show but I gave it a try and ended up being addicted to it and joined some PF2 servers and ended up here.

I had been watching the Josh Scorcher Reviews for a while and I finally decided "Oh What the hell, I will watch a few episodes to see what it's like" and the next thing I know I was a brony :)

Saw it all around the internet. Caught my interest. Always had an open mind. Watched one episode. Ended on a cliffhanger. Had to watch the next. Decided to watch the third. Things snowballed.

This was about halfway through season one.

In between the end of Season 3 and the start of Season 4, I stumbled upon a run of a few Season 1 episodes when I was bored outta my mind. I decided to watch one episode of MLP (Swarm of the Century) and felt an odd sense of enjoyment. Then... I binge watched it. This show just has that charm to it, I dunno, it just made me really happy and I wanted that to continue.

Started being legit part of the fandom around April 2011. A little before that, I was seeing pony popping up on DeviantArt here and there and I didn't think too much of it. Then Krobo/Dikekike started coming out with Pony YTPs and I figured 'Ah what the heck, may as well see what all this is about'. And seeing how cute and funny the show is, that's pretty much the how and why of me being here today.

I mean, who else am I supposed to talk about ponies with? My friends? Ha!

In all seriousness though, I just like the show and for the most part enjoy the passion in the fandom that I found with it, whether I'm participating or just listening in. 

Simple.

Long story that I'll try and distill into three paragraphs. In early 2011, my sister's fiancée mentioned a new version of MLP was out and talked it up. He sold me enough to check it out, but I made sure I watched it with my two kids ... cause protective barrier!  I saw the quality but it didn't take. The kids fell in love with it. 

Flash forward to early 2014 and serendipitously my kids put on EqG while I was on the couch coding on my laptop. I found myself watching the movie. After the film I laid some criticism at it, to which my kids (now teens) pushed me to watch the show itself again. They hand picked a few episodes and after watching them ... it hit me. 

It is one thing to take and interest in what your kids enjoy, it's another thing to share and interest. Ponies are a family thing here and have been ever since. 

I've loved ponies ever since I was a little girl in the 80s but I have to admit that FiM really fanned that flame when it started. The show's style, quality of storytelling and all the merchandise that is finally aimed at the adult fans is what has me sticking around as well as all the wonderful fan art. I used to only draw ponies now and then. Now I'm kind of back to only drawing them now and then but I have a lot more pony fan art in my galleries than I had when the show first started.

I found a fourth season episode in the On-Demand recordings late one night in May 2014 and became curious in seeing what all the fuss was about. Starting watching more and more episodes in reruns until I eventually saw Return of Harmony. When I saw that episode, I finally got it. It's the everlasting bond of the mane characters' friendship and their relatability that makes MLP so worthwhile. Been hooked on ponies ever since, and I've grown to love almost every part of this amazing community.

I was actually nagged into giving the show a chance to begin with.
This girl I was seeing, just hounded and nagged, pleaded and begged me to just give it a shot for weeks and weeks.
Finally, I caved and watched MLP:FiM starting from 1x1.
After 1x1 and 1x2, I was hooked. Ended up hiding it from the world, until I found the "Unexpected Fans" documentary.
That was what convinced me to seek out other fans.

My initial interest came from fan art I had seen on FurAffinity; specifically seeing avian versions of the Mane 6 & Trixie. Keep in mind this was way back in 2011 and the middle of when season 1was being broadcast. Following that various comments & meme images kept popping up and I was just so curious as to why MLP, of all things, was garnering this much interest.

Lo and behold I have the first episodes a try, and it hooked me. The animation, story-telling, and genuine characters were actually likable, and the general feeling reminded me so much of the classic Spyro the Dragon games. As such...I was hooked. <3