Storm Lantern

Why did you join the fandom?

It was during the spring break of my freshman year in college (2013), I think. I was randomly flipping through channels when I came across "The Best Night Ever". I absolutely loved that episode! The pacing was great, the dialogue wasn't dumbed down and the show's aesthetics were very pleasing! I also loved the moral. ^^

I had no idea about the fandom at the time and ran across EqD while searching MLP online. I was amazed at how intense the fandom was and loved how there were even adult fans! It wasn't long before I joined in myself and got caught up on Season 1 and 2 just before the hiatus ended. I had been a fan of G3 as a little girl and absolutely adore horses and magic, so I was hooked on the show almost instantly! :) 

Actually, during college, I wasn't as social as I should have been, and the ponies' friendship lessons inspired me to be more outgoing. My art is also heavily inspired by the show as well. <3 

To put it in simple words.

The fandom, their impressive remixes, music, and artwork.

I'm born on the yer of the horse in the Chinese Zodiac.

The expansiveness of the MLP universe, characters, and lore.

Yeah.

This was where I solidified my place as a Brony.

I joined the fandom the same year I first started watching the show, which was towards the end of season one (around the time of "Party of One," IIRC). I joined the fandom because I loved the show, and wanted to talk to other people who had watched the show and loved it. That is why I'm still a part of the fandom today. I've bought merchandise, written stories, drawn (horrible quality) pictures, watched interviews and panels. It's a rich, positive culture, and I love it. I was 30 years old when I joined the fandom, and I'm 36 now. I don't see myself leaving any time soon.

I joined because the show was 10 times better than i could have ever predicted from watching only the first 2 episodes. It is the show that somehow has grown on me more and more until the point where i could not deny it anymore and say: "it's amazing. Where can i get more of this?" The fandom seemed like an ok place to look for more. Also i should have guessed on how good this show is only from the fact that it's a show for kids and yet adults loved it so much that decided to watch it anyway despite all of the criticism they got. To watch a show that is targeted towards adults and say it's amazing is easy. To suffer for what you love is kind of the real deal and that suffering is more than worth it for the reward you get in the end.

Fun story: i met a brony 5 years ago and saw him watch an episode of MLP. I looked at his computer screen for like 10 second and then walked away. At that time i thought to myself: "ok that looks cute" and then totally forgot about it and ponies for 4 years. Oh man i am so glad i met that guy because he was the one that started it all. Too bad i don't know anything about him anymore.

Well for starters, I've always been a cartoon fan and I was a fan of the G1 show back in the 80's, so starting to watch the G4 show was rather easy transition for me. Although I started watching FIM in mid season 1, I didn't really join the fandom until season 2 started rolling in and I started reading fan fics and looking at pony art to pass the time between episodes.

I thought it was a nice enough fandom, I liked the creativity it showed and welcoming atmosphere, so I found myself a nice quiet little corner to squat in. I have always loved writing and have been writing for a long time, so adding MLP fan fiction to my writing schedule was no problem for me and now days I also dabble in pixel work. 

I'm not sure if it was late 2010 or early 2011 that I started seeing all the Pony screenshots and memes showing up in forum threads, but I know I immediately loved the art style. I didn't realize at first what it was all about though and when I started hearing about all these fans of the show I have to admit I thought it was all some kind of strange joke that I wasn't getting. I finally decided to check it out for myself though so I downloaded an episode and sat down to watch it, not really expecting to be able to sit through the entire thing. I just wanted to know why everyone was talking about it so much.

I still remember cringing at the theme song (which has since grown on me) and wondering what in the world I was doing watching this. My younger cousin used to love watching the G3 show and I was expecting it to be more of that "girly fru-fru stuff" as Spike might have called it. Much to my surprise, it wasn't bad at all. It probably helped that I still enjoy watching cartoons, I just wasn't expecting to ever be watching MLP. The first episode I watched was The Ticket Master and I ended up watching another episode right after it. Before long I was hooked, the show was really great. I've been watching ever since.

As for the fandom, I believe the first thing I discovered were PMVs, parody series and other fan videos on Youtube while searching for more episodes. Those in turn introduced me to new music (I had always wondered what dubstep was), and then I found all of the wonderful artwork, stories, and just an amazing community. I used to be a bit embarrassed and afraid to tell anyone for fear of being ridiculed but I got past that over time and now most of my friends and family know I'm a fan of the show (though some of them still think it is weird).

I had one of those annoying friends that crammed mlp down my throat at every given opportunity. We would be on skype and he'd quote from the show and reference it all the time! Eventually i gave in and watched the first episode, then before i knew it i polished off the first season and craved more!

I don't weir any pony merchandise or try to get people to watch it because as I said above I didn't like it when I was been "forced" to check it out. I just enjoy the new episodes when they come out and re-watch some of my favourite ones to relax after a hard days work.

There's probably not just one reason but multiple, even though I can't remember all of them. At least one of them is that I enjoyed the show so much and got interested in the wonderful artwork. I think I first discovered MLP FiM in 2012. The first thoughts about the new style were probably like "Woah, these ponies sure have changed a lot" or "Are these authentic MLP characters?". MLP itself was a familiar franchise to me since I had some toys of the older generations. 

I also think that cute cartoon ponies have always been dear to me, since I used to collect those tiny Fillies when I was little. And then over the years that interest kind of grew into collecting FiM toys.

Even though I don't seem like a huge fan of the series nowadays, I still secretly love the episodes and all kinds of pony stuff. I'm no longer too open about it but it isn't really important. As long as I enjoy the show myself, all is good.

I'm a guy from Sweden in my late 20s. I had seen a lot of pony-related activity on the internet for a few years and that made me curious, but I was hesitant to actually watch it (What if I started to LIKE it? Oh the Horror!). It wasn't until early in january 2014 that I worked up the guts to actually start watching the show. At first I just thought that it was an okay "not that terrible" show. But the more I watched, the more I did indeed start to like it. Finally I could no longer deny it: I was a brony!

Back around the first season, I remember seeing some MLP posts on a forum I liked to visit. At first I thought it was a joke or something (it was the top post with tons of replies) but when I looked it was an actual discussion. I just kind of shrugged and went on. Sometime later, another MLP thread appeared; same deal with this one, tons of replies.

I became curious after that, so I started looking it up and discovered that there was a growing fandom for the show. Out of curiosity, I started watching it, and I was surprised at how good it was. I've been a fan ever since!

I remember the day I joined the fandom.  I was coming back from anthrocon; yes I'm a furry.  (I'm a cabbit) Anyways I was on one of the many forums I'm a part of and some people chatting about the equestria girl movie. From the description they gave it sounded interesting and I watched it.  For the next three days i binge watched the first three seasons.  It was not till afterwards I started to notice just how large the fandom was.  I'm on my furry forums and was surprised at the number of fans that I never noticed before.

Hello, I'm a mid-west brony.  If there is anything good to come out of the episode Rainbow Falls, it is this.  The return of Derpy.  Now before the episode, I had no clue who she was or why this was important.  All I remember her from is a random toy I saw at Hot Topic.  So I decided to Google a search for the walleyed pony.  To my surprise, I found some animations.  The first was called The Fly which was cute.  Then I noticed some suggested links for other animations.  So I clicked on the first one which was the Children of the Night.  I wanted to seem more original fan animations so I clicked on the next one which was the SFM version of Nightmare Night.  I discovered all of these amazing animations.  I was so in love with the creativity and admired the time and effort that was put into these animations, I decided then and there that I was a brony.  I didn't discover the analysis side of the fandom until I stumbled upon AnY Ponies channel, which led me to Silverquill, which led me to, how many reviews has that  hippogriff collaborated with?

I joined the fandom all because of a challenge my close friend gave me.

One of my close skype buddies one day out of the blue told me he was a brony, nervous what my reaction would be. I just shrugged like someone just told me the weather, and we at first left it at that. He was good enough not to talk much about the show because at the time I didnt have much of an opinion. It was a thing, and that was it. After a while I decided to humor him and just let him carry on conversations about the fandom. 

One thing me and him like to do a lot is watch a movie or show, and give our thoughts at they happen. I knew I would have to watch an episode with him eventually, and let him have his pick (that was Party of One by the by) and I thought it was interesting enough. So he gave me this little challenge. I would watch the first ten episodes, and if I didnt like it by the tenth episode, then I probably wouldnt like it at all. Needless to say I was hooked by the 3rd episode.

And as they say, the rest is history.

it's was late october 2013, i was not feeling really well since  back then, i was losing all of my friends for nothing because of a guy...i was playing TF2 and i notice that they were a lot of pony related stuff in the game. so i research stuff and found an article about the brony fandom. after reading it, i try the first episode because i was curious about why some grown men look at a little girl show... i watch the first episode, then the second, the third... it was to late, i was becoming a brony, i watch the 3 seasons in less than a week, and after that, the season 4 was starting. MLP help me not be deppresed, and i manage to regain some friends after that, even if i don't like a part of the fandom and think that the show is a little worst than before, i still loved fim. 

(yeah sorry for the english, i'm french.) 

I am a 33 year old male from New Jersey. I got into this show some point in 2011 I believe. I remember it like it was yesterday.

i have this one friend on Skype who was like "Dude, have you watched this one show called My little pony: Friendship is magic"?

I remember being extremely skeptical I was like " My Little pony? Seriously? Well, to each their own, but, I don't think I'm into that."  But, I role played the show with him after he explained a bit.

I was still not interested in show , fast forward two weeks it was one of my buddies birthdays on a forum I go too, and someone posted the pinkie pie telegram song.After I watched that a bunch of times and saw a episode then I was hooked and been a brony ever since.

It was back in either late July or early August 2013. I was browsing the internet trying to find info about Wander Over Yonder, which I had been looking forward too because it was created by Craig McCracken. I found a video of him and Lauren Faust being interviewed at Comic-Con the year before. At one point Lauren was asked what she thought of bronies and she said she couldn't believe that grown men liked MLP. I was already a fan of her work on The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and I knew about her involvement in MLP, but somehow that was the first time I heard anything about bronies. I decided to look try to find out more, and I couldn't believe it. I didn't watch the show at first, but a few weeks later, I was flipping through the TV listings seeing what was on and I noticed MLP was on. Remembering what I read a few weeks earlier, I decided to give it a shot. To my surprised, it wasn't that bad, so I started watching more, and pretty soon I was hooked. 3 years later, I can't believe I'm still here. In the past, when I've gotten really into something, I tend to not be so interested after a couple years at the most. But I'm glad to still be here, and I hope to stay for years to come. 

I started watching pony during christmas break of 2014. I had no idea bronies existed at the time. It  wasnt until january 29 2015, that i finished watching then, all 4 seasons and the 2 equestria girls movies that i decided to look up mlp on the internet about a season 5. And thats when i found out there was a large fandom. I was pleasantly surprised finding out hat im not the only 20's something college student enjoying a cartoon show about female pastel ponies spreading friendship. And thus my appreciation for the show increased. 

So let me lay out the whole story:

One day during december 2014, i had just returned home from a disneyland trip with my friends following christmas. I was so bored that i wanted to watch something that would mush my brain. I didnt care what it was. So i go to my ususl cartoon website to find something to watch to make me even more brain spazzed. I had been to this site multiple times to watch my favorite shows, amd i have scrolled over mlp fim before, so i knew it existed, but i never clicked on it because i was expecting something like a g1 mlp show. But this one day, i was so bored so i thought "whatever, i dont care if its overly girly and terrible i just want to zone out" so i watched the first episode, and it wasnt too bad, im like "meh" and it was a two parter so i had to watch the second half. At the end of the season premier, i found it not too horrible, but i wasnt super into it either. So i watched the next episode, and the next and the next and so on till about half way through season 1 i started thinking "hey, this is actually good" and so i kept watching to the end of season 1 and i found the show legitimately enjoyable. So I eagerly anticipated each episode after another.  By now im thinking "omg i love this show, its actually funny, has pop culture references, teaches kids about friendship, and has a lot of feels." I finished watching all the episodes up to season 4 since season 5 hadnt started yet, and i looked up mlp on wikipedia to find details on a season 5 and found the brony fandom, and season 5 starting in a couple of weeks. By then it was january 29, 2015 and i posted to facebook that i had become a brony. 

The rest is history.

All of my friends became obsessed at one point and I'm all like "WHY ARE YOU ALL OBSESSED WITH MY LITTLE PONY?" then I finally decided to give it a try and here I am.

Funny enough, I'm the only one of my friends who still watches

I was in my first year at college at the time. I had been seeing the pony threads pop up on 4chan for a little while but tried to ignore it. Then early 2011 I was at a furry meet in Manchester and the conversation came about. 
Some guy said to just give it a try, so the same weekend I stuck the first episode I found on, which was Feeling Pinkie Keen. Absolutely loved it.

Took me a few months, but by the summer holidays I had watched all of Season 1 and was hooked.

Google+ Beta started in the summer of 2011, which saw a big active brony community form there. Which was my first interaction with other bronies. 

Funny that the guy who got me started isn't really that bothered about the show himself!

I made a deal with the devil and here I am paying for it!

Summer 2011

Friends were showing off icons and memes and I saw it everywhere so I took a week to watch season 1 and lo and behold I was hooked and never looked back since.

I also got involved with meetups in my area and made a ton of friends, including my close besties now.

I've been a pony fan since G1, at least of the toys.  I owned Tickle, a purple Pegasus with pastel rainbow hair and feathers for a cutie mark.  And also Baby Ribbon, a blue unicorn foal with a red bow for a cutie mark.  I drew a whole coloring book based on the lives I imagined they had.  As for FIM, I've been an acquaintance of Lauren's since her days at Cartoon Network, working on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.  We're friends on FB.  So I saw her talking about Pony a good year or so before the show started, and got super hyped about it.  I'm a fan now, partially to show support for Lauren's work (despite her no longer being a part of the show), and also, wow, the story lines and depth and complexity-- I've never known an animated show meant for children to have such things!  It all just drew me in immediately!  I love the design and the music and everything about it.  Not to mention the fans are the best in the world!

I discovered pony through Bionicle in a way. Late 2010 a bunch of people on a Bionicle forum started having pony avatars/signatures but I didn't think much of it at the time. Then said forum went down for maintenance, but I had a couple friends on Steam who were into it and one of them told me to watch it. It took a couple weeks of pestering and no Bionicle forum to keep me occupied anymore but in early 2011 I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about, so I opened up YouTube (remember the days when you could do that?) and watched the first episode, found it to be decent and then didn't continue. :v

Was only until April that I continued because I was bored, watched all of what was available of Season 1 at the time and got hooked. So I guess I'm an oldie in the fandom? Eh, whatever. I stuck around because I made some good friends and it got me back into drawing which I had completely fallen out of after a horrendous time doing GCSE art a couple years prior.

Two words:  Rainbow Dash.

Back in the early summer of 2011, during the break between S1 and S2, I decided to satisfy my curiosity and take the plunge into the world of pony.  Long before that, I started seeing pony avatars and pony-related stuff pop up on a Sonic the Hedgehog-related forum I used to be on.  I'll admit, I was kinda skeptical at first, but after a while, I just had to know what the deal was.  I hopped on YouTube, looked up the show, and clicked on a full upload of "Sonic Rainboom".  That episode - and how good Rainbow Dash was in that episode - got me hooked instantly.  I swear I wound up watching half of S1 in that one day.

• Like 1

Og pony fan from the g1 line and original animated series. I collected over 250 of these rainbow colored ponies. Years passed and I tried to watch the G3 cartoons and was bummed until I saw G4 and knew some of the creators. Saw the comic came out and after doing a large amount of licensed artwork for various companies I tried out for MLP covers and have done 6 since then. I still collect toys from MLP and watch the show.