Storm Lantern

Why did you join the fandom?

It all started with a Rarity brushable. Well, sort of.

A close friend of mine recommended the show to me back in 2011. I wasn't really interested since I was never into MLP, and for the most part I didn't care for horses. My friend told me that the show was created by Craig McCracken's wife. I had been a HUGE Powerpuff Girls fan as a kid, and some years later I had gotten back into it. I actually thought that G3 was the one she was talking about, and that she was the creator of MLP in general, or something. I didn't know much about it. I got a G3.5 coloring book because I thought it was cute.

Unlike most bronies, I already had a huge interest in cute and "girly" things before I even knew that FiM existed. I had been a fan of Littlest Pet Shop years before the show, for example, plus I loved cute/anime type stuff like Hello Kitty and Hamtaro. So it wasn't an unusual occurrence that I found myself in the "pink isle" of stores like Wal-Mart.

On one particular day I was there, looking at the toys, and I came across the MLP brushables. This was also in 2011, while the first season was still airing. I saw a Rarity brushable, and something about how it looked caught my eye. I'm a huge fan of a band called Evanescence, and there was something about that toy's appearence, colors and such that reminded me so much of that band and its singer. I ended up buying it.

Later that day, in front of the computer, I opened up my very first MLP toy and in the package was a little fold out paper that had ads for other MLP toys and such on it. Rarity ended up appealing to me in other ways too; I loved fashion, I tend to be rather feminine/girly, I really like the color purple, etc. When I learned about other ponies I found others that appealed to me too, especially Pinkie Pie (I love pink) and Fluttershy (so adorable, plus I'm rather shy irl). In the little fold out ad paper there was a link to the official MLP site. So, I typed it in and visited it.

On there was a link to a free iTunes download of the first episode. Friendship is Magic Part 1, but of course not part 2. I downloaded it and watched it up to the point where Nightmare Moon appeared. I liked it a lot, and later I went back and re-watched it, the whole ep that time.

At that point, however, I was mainly interested in the toys. I didn't have The Hub channel yet, and while I still saw some eps on YouTube, I wasn't a huge fan or a brony yet. It wasn't until later on when I got that channel and started seeing more and more eps. Pretty soon I saw them all. I was hooked, and a big part of that was the brony community. I found myself going on EQD regularly, looking forward to new eps, listening to fan music, and generally falling in love with not only the show but the community as well. Then it happened. In a glorious moment, I realized that I was a brony.

Years later, I'm still a brony, and have no plans of stopping.

Back in Summer of 2011, I was playing a lot of Spore and frequented the official Spore forum, also known as the Sporum. The Sporum really didn't have an off-topic section, but instead, one giant thread that kind of acted like a chatroom. Many people were posting pony gifs and one mod, who was ironically worshipped as a second coming of Chuck Norris, was fed up with ponies and would ban anyone who posted pony gifs. Many people thought that this mod was abusing his powers and soon enough, the entire thread was closed. I felt really bad for those who got banhammer'd, so I decided to give a shot at the show. I fell in love with it and ever since, have been a part of this lovely fandom <3

I think also the fact I loved G3 ponies as a kid played a role of me loving this show <3 

Back around 2011 to early 2012, When I first heard of the Brony fandom, I was not onboard with the whole thing. I just absolutely hated the everlasting life out of the whole idea. Because I thought there was something wrong with grown men and women who watch a cartoon for little girls. I hated bronies so bad, I used to join up with several hater groups on Steam, such as the ABRT (Anti Brony Response Team). Now I'm banned from a couple TF2 pony servers such as Pony Fortress and PoniPoniPoni, because I joined up with these hater groups, and I haven't bothered to go through the proper channels to show that I'm not a hater anymore and get unbanned. 

As for me becoming a Brony, when I was listening to how much the Brony contingent of listeners to True Capitalist Radio make the host, Ghost rage so much *cans.wav*, I actually found that their (prank) calls to Ghost are actually kind of funny. After that, I started to hate ponies less, now that I was able to listen to one of my Brony friends, who tried to get me to watch the show, but me as a hater, tried to dismiss that. Then one night in Feb 2012, I gave my first full episode a watch, S02E16 "Read It and Weep", which ironically depicts the experience I have gone through when watching the episode. Heck, I even paraphrased what Rainbow Dash said before the first commercial break after watching the episode. 

"I hate to admit it to myself, and would really hate to admit to my friends, but... I love this Show! I- I Love MLP! *thousand yard stare* I'm a Brony!"

So, yeah, that is how I became a Brony. 

Where to start?

The story begins way back in the bygone year of 2011-2012, I had known that the brony fandom was gaining surprising traction online, but I figured it was just another strange little corner of the internet and thought nothing off it. However, for me, it all started with an ever-persistent friend whom I'll call 'Alex' (on account of that being his name) during his first year in college. He wasn't a month into his classes before all he was talking about was the 'dorable lil' ponies'. Now, I've known Alex for a good long while (you make it through high school German class with together, it forms a bond stronger than concrete, but I digress) and he's always been a mystery wrapped in an enigma to say the least. But this? This was just one thing I couldn't understand. And I told him as such. Ponies, dear friend? Really? Reeaallly? But he just smiled, without a care in the world, and with gusto let out an astounding 'Eeyup'. In hindsight, I see what he did there. 

I tried to once again put it out of my mind once again but he's a persistent one, my friend. The references just kept on coming. Then, one night, it reached a fever-pitch. What the reference was, I can't recall, but what I do remember is that it effectively broke me. I told he had one episode. One, single solitary episode to show me what was so grand about MLP. A smile that could light the dark side of the moon lit across his face. 'Really?' he asked. We headed back to his place and he promptly pulled out his laptop.

He showed me Party of One.

I hated to admit it, but it was pretty good. A week later, I found myself sitting in my dorm room looking at the YouTube search bar, 'MLP:FiM Ep.1' typed in, hesitant to hit enter, contemplating if this was a rabbit hole was I was willing to go down. Several hours and all season 1 and half of season 2 successfully binged, I walked over to the window, gave a longing stare at nothing in particular and uttered *Dammit, Alex*

One thing led to another, and now here I am loving every second of this bizarre, strange, creative, wonderful fandom (and using entirely too many commas)

I started to watch MLP in 2013 due to a MLP animation I watched in YouTube. After that, I being interested in MLP, so I decided to see the first episodes of MLP and I loved it, so I became a brony at that moment.

As some of you might already know, i hail from the EQD Discussions, where i waste most of my worthless existence for attention and reputation

but yeah, before that shit, i used to be a brony hater

you read that right lad, brony hater

i couldnt possibly think of something more cringily stupid than those two words combined and turn them into a semi-hobby

lets just say curiosity got the best of me yes

Once upon a time in the not so magical land of 4chan, I was browsing through /b/ as I used to do pretty often back in those days. It was early 2011. I noticed that for some reason people were starting to make several threads about strange colorful ponies, so I kind of wondered what all the fuss was about. However, at first, I simply dismissed as /b/ being /b/ (It is the Random board, after all...) and thought: "Oh, /b/ is mocking some stupid children's show again. Whatever...". At that point, I didn't yet understand that people had some genuine appreciation for the show and I thought it was some kind of troll thing. So I just ignored it for several months.

Mind you, back then I never visited /co/ (The Comics & Cartoons board), so I missed the early start of the fandom there. I only noticed it when people started posting it on /b/ in early 2011.

Finally, on October 2011, I finally decided I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. I lurked one of the /b/reads (That's what the pony threads on /b/ were called) and discovered that people really did like that show for real. I googled the show and found the Know Your Meme article and read through it. This thing was starting to kind of intrigue me. What finally pushed me to give the show a chance was the fact that Lauren Faust had previously worked on The Powerpuff Girls, one of my favorite shows from my childhood.

So I watched the show in chronological order, starting from the pilot. I was very skeptical at first, to the point of skipping the intro and the fairy tale-ish storybook opening because I felt it was "too girly". However, I still kept watching and despite skipping some parts of the first episode I didn't care too much about, I still decided to watch the second episode. It was the second episode that finally convinced me this show might be worth watching, after all. The other Mane 6's initial reactions to Pinkie Pie's "Giggle at the Ghosties" song made me realize this show is at least pretty self-aware and even though the way Nightmare Moon was defeated was rather cheesy, it still charmed me. So I kept watching.

It was Bridle Gossip that definitely turned me into a brony and also made Twilight my favorite character, with her hilariously sarcastic responses to the others when they're all hiding from Zecora at the beginning. It was then The Cutie Mark Chronicles that made me practically fall in love with Twilight because I realized I identified myself with her more than with any fictional character I had ever seen before. Twilight still remains a big part of why I watch this show, although probably less so today than it used to. I started watching the show the week before Lesson Zero aired (I think it was Wednesday, October 12) and I was caught up by the time Lesson Zero had just aired (Sunday, October 16). It was also around that time that I discovered Equestria Daily. I soon started looking for some brony forums to join (the first ones were Equestriaforums.com and bronies.de) and yeah, that's the story of how I joined the brony fandom. :)

And because I feel this is relevant, here you have the first post I ever made on a brony site, namely what I wrote when I was introducing myself to the members of Equestriaforums.com, back in December 4, 2011 (http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php/topic,3858.msg233824.html#msg233824). It's funny to see what has changed and hasn't changed about my passion for the show and this fandom since then:

Hello everyone, I'm Ecthudan and I joined this site because I realized how much I actually love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I think this is one of the best made shows I've watched in a long time and I especially love it for the complex and well-rounded characters and also for the well-written plot.

Like many of you probably, I was initially surprised by how much I liked this series but then when I saw that it was for the points I mentioned above, I started loving this series even more.

Maybe something about me, I am someone who's not at all averse to watching cartoons and animated movies at times.

Before watching MLP:FiM I had already watched the Powerpuff Girls (including the movie) and of course when I heard that Lauren Faust was the one who developed this show and that she was already involved in the Powerpuff Girls, I knew that this show would be awesome.

My favorite animated movie of all time is the Lion King as well as Simba's Pride and I also like most of the others Disney films like Aladdin (I've even watched the TV series).

Nowadays I never watch TV but I used to watch Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales and so on when I was a kid I still hold a certain fondness for those shows, even though they bored me when I tried to rewatch them after all those years, so I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of any of those shows.

Aside from that, one of my favorite movies is the Matrix and I also like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter and so on, but I also wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of any of them except for the Matrix and Harry Potter perhaps a tiny little bit.

Even though I like reading, I wouldn't consider myself an avid reader, but my favorite book series by far is His Dark Materials and I also like the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series) and I'm also a member of the Inheritance Forums with this exact name, but I'm well aware of all the flaws of the Inheritance Cycle and I consider it rather as something like "fast-food literature" because I just read it because I'm very curious about what is going to happen and not because I'm much of a fan of the books per se.

Going back to My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic, I absolutely fell in love with this series and my favorite character is Twilight Sparkle because we're also very much alike, though I'm not nearly as obsessive as she is ;)

As for my social background and my personality, I'm afraid I'm pretty much still Twilight stage 1 in this regard (like Twilight in the beginning of the series), but who knows, maybe something will change eventually, but I highly doubt it for the time being.

As for my nationality, I'm Swiss with a Brazilian background and I speak German, Swiss German, Portuguese, I'm learning French and Italian and of course I also speak English very well, but I wouldn't like to brag and I know that most native speakers still have a much better command of this language than I do, as it should be of course.

Therefore I also apologize for sounding overly formal at times, I've focused so much on vocabulary and grammar that I have trouble speaking in a less formal way than I do now. But maybe this has something to do with my personality as well, I'm once again much like Twilight in this regard, but keep in mind that even though Twilight is the character I'm most similar to of all the characters of MLP:FiM, I'm still an individual who differs from her as much as from the other ponies and you shouldn't think I am like her in all aspects ;)

In spite of everything, I'm very glad to have become a part of this community and I'm looking forward to having great discussions with you about ponies in the future as I'm sure my love for My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic isn't going to diminish any time soon, so a warm hello to everyone!

Well, I was an antibrony during the start of G4 MLP in 2010-2011 and it wasn't until May 2015 when I finally was curious enough to watch an episode. Though, I don't if I ever was an antibrony since I actually gave out constructive comments on YouTube MLP videos while the rest were just spamming, trolling and attacking.

My first ever episode was Make New Friends but Keep Discord. I loved that episode. It was hilarious and I loved the character design and the development. So that drew me into watching all the episodes of the show and I loved all of them. Apart from the bad ones. ;)

What really amazed me is the accepting nature of the fandom. I never been accepted in the FNAF, Undertale, Sonic and Pokemon communities. Maybe that's the reason I was an antibrony because I hated the positive attitude.

I grew up watching the first generation of MLP when I was a kid. That's right, the 80's cartoon series. The first movie was one of my most rented videos from the tape store.  Nothing can stop the Smooze!

Fast forward to late 2010 and I see commercials on TV for a new MLP series that is coming out soon. I wasn't aware of some of the past generations besides my good old generation 1 and perhaps a vague knowledge of generation 2 existing. At first I figured the new series would be your typical modern retake on a good old classic and wouldn't be really worth watching. It'd be repetitive, simplistic, and just a bad rehash on the ponies I grew up watching. But I had the spare time and figured what the heck, I might as well watch one just to see how it was. So I watched the premiere of the first episode. I thought it was okay at the time. It didn't blow my mind or anything of the sort. I kept watching and thought the show was decent and continually got a little better as time went on.

Not long after the show started airing I found myself caught in the middle of a new community springing up of course. A brand new fandom. Now, I have been apart of fandoms before and for quite some time, but I've never been apart of the birth of one. That was probably one of the most exciting aspects for me initially. To see a new fandom start to form and grow over time. Sorta like seeing a new galaxy form over billions of years. Well, perhaps not quite on that scale, but still exciting!

So yeah, and here I am today. Still watching the show and taking part in the community to this day.

I had been watching the Josh Scorcher Reviews on youtube for a while and I was always entertained by them despite not ever seeing an episode so one day I decided to just sit down and actually watch what I could on Netflix and quickly found that I was enjoying the episodes as much as I did the reviews and now I am here :3

First heard of the fandom while moderating one of my previous communities (Star Fox Online) and saw a sudden influx of bronies and pony related content flooding up the forums. I was into Team Fortress 2 heavily at the time and ended up joining Pony Fortress 2 (RIP) due to solid players and a pretty large pony scene.  Later ended up watching the show and fell in love with Trixie before even watching the Boast Busters.  The rest is history.

So back in early 2011 somebody started a thread about this pony phenomenon on another forum I frequent. Mostly it was posting these weird image macros and "omg what is this? Internet, whaaaaaaaaaat?" I had nothing going on back then and after a few months decided to check this thing out. Started watching the episodes (season 1 was just winding down at the time).

Fluttershy's introduction in the pilot almost did it. Almost.

What actually did it was Gummy's introduction in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I don't claim to understand it, but something about that derp-eyed little alligator snaffling onto Pinkie Pie just pushed right buttons to send me over the edge. "Okay, I have to be into this now," I thought to myself.

So I set about creating the very best username and began tuning in for the live episodes once Season 2 got going. Doodled some pony stuff in my spare time. Found EQD before it had 15 million views (that was over five years ago, dear God...), really got into the brony music scene as a collector to help get me through long shifts at the factory, and that's basically why and how I've been involved the whole time.

And that's the story of my whole entire fanlife. Well, up until today.

• Like 1

I started watching the show when it was new. I watched it because I didn't have MLP toys as a kid. When I saw the pilot episodes, I just fell in love with the show. I thought I would learn a lot from the show, and it turns out I DID. 

I was sixteen at the time, and I was afraid people would make fun of me for being the only 16 year old girl in my hometown who watches MLP. But surprisingly, all of my friends were understanding, even my own boyfriend understood. I eventually succeeded in turning my boyfriend into a brony, but it took me FOUR YEARS of persistence. I almost gave up, but both of us are too immersed into MLP, that I had no trouble saying "Yes" when he asked for my hand in marriage.

General depression lead me along a very dark path. My sibling sent me a video about /mlp/ and I got interested. A bit later I watched Smile Smile Smile and seemed to like it. I eventually decided to give the show a try and turns out that I liked it.

I joined the fandom back in July 2011, when a friend who was visiting me from Indiana came over. I notice on his Ipad that he had a pony on it.  I laughed and said "dude what is this really a pony". He the stated "dude this show amazing you got to watch just one episode". I thought about how girly it was be but he kept insisting I would like it. I watch the first episode of season one : The Mare In The Moon,  then I watch another, and another. The rest was history, I fell in love with this show, fourth wall breaking, beautiful art style, great lore, and the community that went with it. I was with the fandom when were on 4chan, and then were kicked off and forced to make Ponychan. To the watching "A Canterlot Wedding with "gak gak gak" playing  every commercial break XD.  Until we all argued about Twilight getting wings at the end of season 3. Yes my time with fandom has been a wild an crazy ride, but I am loving each step of the way. 

On 8.9.2015 at 8:05 PM, Storm Lantern said:

With so many folks coming from pf2, Equestria Daily, and other places, this seems like a good way to get to know each other.

Tell us who you are, where you're from, when you started liking ponies, and what got you to stick around. You can also say what you've been up to in the fandom.

21-year-old guy from Finland, I started liking ponies the first time I dared to watch an episode during 2012, and meetups and the friends I've made through the fandom are probably the main thing that got me to stick around. It was so much fun to spend countless nights watching pony content with those friends and after that getting to know them personally. I'm still very much friends with them and even found love from the fandom this year. I consider myself very lucky to be an active fan with brony friends to this date. 

24-year-old fellow from New York here.

Got into pony at college back in 2011, when I ended up on Friendship Is Magic's TVTropes page and (don't fully recall how, probably a link from TVTropes) ended up on Youtube watching an episode (don't recall which one). After some more lurking around the web, I ended up on Equestria Daily and found more episodes through there (think season 2 was starting up, or maybe it was in the middle, I don't remember). The next episodes I watched were enjoyable, and bronies seemed like a nice community, so I stuck around, though really I just lurked.

After a few years, college got to be too much and I just sorta withdrew from everything for a couple of years until I graduated. Then I came home and started getting back into ponies when I discovered that we had the Hub at home and I started watching FiM on TV. And now I'm back, and I have quite a bit of catching up to do (missed most of seasons 5 and 6). I never really got up to anything. Hopefully I'll do something some day.

So with that, I'm off to DailyMotion for some pony-watching!

Joined sometime during the second half of Season 1. When two message boards I frequented got hit with Pony Topics that lead me to check out the show, and eventual join it.

Outside of that though was the fact that I got opportunities to make dozens and dozens of friends out of the fandom, including being apart of the fairly large meet up group over on the East coast. The time spent with them was irreplaceable!

It was 2 and a half years ago, around the end of 2014.

A "friend" of mine sent me some random fanmade videos, like Smile HD, Fluffle Puff's Master of Pillows, TwiDash - Hearts and Hooves day SFM, Ponies in a box thingy.

At first i was sceptical, said "uhm...really?" to myself a few times.
But after watching some of them, i found them funny (and rather creepy, looking at you Smile HD).
I eventually played off some "best of Pinkie/Fluttershy/etc.", found it very, very adorable.
Don't know when or where i watched the first episode, i probably viking'd it (sry about that), and then...dived into the pastel colored equine world.
The more i watched the episode 1&2, the more i said to myself "hmm, this is not so bad".
By the end of part 2 of the season 1 opener, when Luna hugged her sister, i got a few tears rolling down, it was too adorable.
I binge watched every episode until i catched up with the lastest released episode, mid-way through season 4 i think, or later, i don't think i arrived there during a hiatus.
And now: best show ever, i've collected lots of pony stuff, i wear my tee's and sweatshirts, bags and wallets, proudly in the public.

I want to thank that "friend" for getting me into the show, but for some reason, i lost all contact with her, couldn't look her up not from my original FB profile nor from my secondary.
It's as if FB suddenly removed her and anything related to her, only thing that's left are the messages, with them, the links to videos of past pony glory.

I'm 31 British guy, lived and rised in Leeds, England.

It about December 2012, I become a brony, before my brother show me some episodes and fan-made stuffs. I notices this pony called Derpy there were stuff going on about her. Then think of her and some other ponies. Also search Bronies on youtube and suddenly in December i become one.

Since then, I be looking up to brony stuffs on youtube and collecting pony pictures and images into my Psp, Tablet and laptop. And bought Mlp stuffs and wearing MLP t-shirts.