Storm Lantern

Why did you join the fandom?

With so many folks coming from pf2, Equestria Daily, and other places, this seems like a good way to get to know each other.

Tell us who you are, where you're from, when you started liking ponies, and what got you to stick around. You can also say what you've been up to in the fandom.

I'm a twenty-something guy from California, where I've lived all my life.

I started getting into MLP in January/February of 2014. I was going through some rough stuff, and when I stumbled across some Fan-made stuff on Youtube the positivity and humor was exactly what I needed at the time.

Since then, I've been slowly getting more and more into the fandom. Right now, I've got a blog that I occasionally feature MLP stuff on. I've also written some fanfiction starring my OCs.

Seems like a fair enough question to ask people, I'll join in and give this a bump.

I am twenty guy who lived half his life in Germany and his 2nd half in Canada.

I got into the fanbase September the 15th of 2011. The date is so precise because I remember binge watching all the episodes in two sittings and then finding out the next season starts tomorrow.

The first time i heard of the show was a while before that but I simply did not have the interest/time to watch it till then.(and it was not really a case of "oh its a girls show, why?" I had been a furry for a number of years at that point and I was not judging, I just simply did not care.) Once I started watching the show and getting into the fanbase I pretty quickly switched to consider myself a Brony and have done so since.

These days I barely ever listen to music that is not Brony, or read something that is not Brony, or generally do anything that is not in some way or form related to ponies. The exception being video games, which there is not enough pony content to keep a full schedule.

Over the years I have written fanfictions, made a Brony club for my highschool(that was over 3  years ago now.. heh), made videos on too many pony games to count, did readings on some fanfictions and read a lot more on my own time, and helped create a Brony clan on Steam for a game called Mount and Blade.

Edited by Sapare
  • Like 1

21 years old Swiss/British guy here, don't remember exactly when i started watching my little pony, all I know was that at first I used to think "it's a girls TV show about multicolored ponies, why is everyone making such a great deal about it?".

I would regularly check post on cheezburger.com, just for a couple of daily laughs, and would occasionally stumble upon pony related content.

Somehow those posts I saw kinda made me curious, the art stile looked nice and the couple of gifs i would occasionally see showed a nice fluid animation...that's when I finally decided to give it a shot and watch the first episode...and it was too late i couldn't stop and watched all of it, questioning myself at first then accepting it and enjoying the ride.

All I know was that 3 seasons were out and the fourth was about to start so it must have been 2013 when i officially figured that at that point I was undoubtedly a Brony.

Ever since that i started reading Equestria daily and buying the official IDW comics, until i stumbled upon this forum.

Edited by Light Landstrider
Was writing in a hurry so needed some extra corrections
  • Like 1

I'm not really into ponies. I liked the show okay and watched it up until season two but I've always been (and have no real problem admitting that I'm) a fan of the fandom. The in jokes, art, music, odd crossovers and the people are all pretty handy dandy. I find that fan created content drives my enjoyment of the fandom, and it's always been pretty entertaining. 

For specifics,  I kept seeing the 20% cooler meme everywhere, decided to look into it, and ran across a collection of SimGretina's remixes. I enjoyed those so I watched the show, starting with whatever one Gilda was in then from the beginning. From then on, I understood the jokes posted on 4chan.After a while, I saw a crossover art thread, saw a bunch of pony TF2 stuff and asked if anyone knew of any good pony servers. Having played on furry servers in the past and enjoyed it, u figured another themed server would be fun. Someone told me PF2 was good but the admins were kinda nazis so I checked it out. And here I am, years later. 

• Like 1

Why did you join the fandom?

PF2.

I hate to bring it up, since this is a new forum, but that's  the truth. 

'Twas 2012. I hadn't even played a single FPS since I graduated college, back in the Doom 2 / ROTT / Quake days. The new stuff (Halo, COD, etc) all seemed too complex / time-consuming / difficult to master. I've always been a casual. But a friend convinced me to play this game called "Portal," and that led to TF2 after it became Free-to-Play, and suddenly I rediscovered the fun of first-person-cartoon-violence.

I was getting bored with pub-stomping, and started seeking out unusual and interesting servers. Landed on PF2 totally at random. Was quite confused at first, had no idea what all the inside-jokes were about, but was quite pleased by the level of skill and maturity I was seeing. 

Decided to download the first episode of season 1, just to try to get some idea of what y'all were talking about. Found it unbearable at first, but got to the end and... dammit, it's a cliffhanger. 

Ok, episode 2. 

Then episode 3. 

Next thing I know, it's 2am and I'm binge-watching a show for little girls. 

Buck it all...

Three years later, here I am. A grown man with a normal job and a normal life who spends his free time shooting at brightly-colored magical horses and has actually (gasp) been to a convention. 

I am My Little Sentry. 

wUNxElp.png

• Like 4

Soon to hit 30 years old dude from TN. Got into the show back in summer 2011 after ignoring the show for the longest time. Knotcast used Golden Cupcakes for a musical break. It was earwormy enough for me to check out the MLP part of the mashup, which ended up with me listening to all the music from season 1. At that point, I marathoned S1 in 2 nights.

• Like 1

January 2013, trans woman in her early 20's living in the South and not having much of a social life outside of the internet. My parents were out for the night and I had to the house to myself, I decided to get mildly drunk on red wine and have leftover pizza while watching the first season of My Little Pony on Netflix. After going through the first two seasons in a month I joined FIMFiction and begun having a fanfiction addiction and also played on the old EQD Team Fortress 2 server a bit.

Since then I am hooked on the series, spent too much time reading and writing fanfiction, and spent too much cash on merchandise.

• Like 1

Twenty-three year man residing in Boise, Idaho. During the break between seasons 3 and 4, my younger sister started watching and I would hear a lot of the dialogue and occasionally see what was happening on the screen as I walked past. At some point, I got it into my head to see if they had any musical themes, which led me to discover Twilight's theme from Fighting is Magic. It pretty well blew me away.

Conveniently, I needed something to watch to occupy my time at work. Friendship is Magic fit the bill perfectly, being family-friendly and funny. I didn't consider myself a brony until midway through the second season, after which I couldn't delude myself by making the excuse that it was just something to pass the time.

I also managed to get my twin brother to join by simple virtue of the line "The Fun has been Doubled!" That was his conversion episode.

• Like 1

There used to be a group that hosted 6 Highlander teams. It was called the MLP-TC (Team Central). Each team represented one of the mane 6 ponies and I played for Team Rainbow Dash because they needed a player. It was awesome and I miss it. 

I started watching back in 2012 after hearing so many people discussing it while playing TF2. I ignored it for about a year, then I decided to re-watch and I was hooked the second time around.

I got into the fandom between the end of 2011 and 2012 however can't give a solid date. I saw the ending of the end of Friendship is Magic part 2 I thought it looked interesting but I didn't become a full viewer. I actually got involved with a brony Halo clan called Rainbow Ponies Gaming before I even watched a full episode of the show. After hanging out with the guys in the clan for awhile I thought it would be embarrassing to say I hadn't actually watch the show so I got around to watching an episode. My first full episodes were the Canterlot Wedding. After that I wasn't really active in the brony fandom with the exception of playing with the RP guys. Slowly overtime I started to get more involved with the fandom. Unfortunately RP slowly fell apart which made me look else where and when I finally got a new computer I eventually landed myself in PF2 which has lead me all the way to here.

I got into MLP somewhere around when Season 1 only had 11 episodes or so, I was browsing an old Anime forums which I don't visit anymore, in the chatroom people were posting pictures and gifs of ponies to each other, and I asked them "What show is that?" I was quite surprised when they said "My Little Pony" because at the time, the first image that came to mind was "G3" ponies, but after looking it up, I found its a different My Little Pony and they convinced me to give it a try, and then I ended up following the series until the end of Season 1, and has been stuck with the fandom since.

I used to hang out on Know Your Meme all the time, so I got into it pretty early into season one. I thought my friends there were just trolling when they said they watched it, but I figured it might actually be good after someone posted Flutterguy's "Evil Enchantress" and Pinkie Pie wearing those goofy glasses from "Griffon the Brush-Off." I liked Lauren Faust's stuff when I was a kid, and was desensitized to saccharine horse shenanigans after my Robot Unicorn Attack kick, so I got into pony pretty quickly.

I joined before episode 11 of season one came out. I was watching Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends on YouTube and saw episode one part two in the suggested videos, so I clicked it then clicked part one then I watched ten episodes in a row and was disappointed when I could not find another episode.

Oh and I like animation. Movies, TV shows, and stuff.

Edited by vman315
  • Like 1

24 year old guy from Wisconsin. First noticed that ponies starting in 2012...my curiosity got the better of me during the summer of 2013, I was really bored one day and decided to watch it on the Hub.

And that's how I got hooked on Ponies.

Okay lets give this a try.I'm 17, British, kinda new to this fandom from what I can see. I started watching the october last year. I watched the first episode having no idea what to expect. I was surpirsed to find I activly enjoyed it. Few days later when I got over the fact that I not only enjoyed a show that in my mind was intended for girl 8 years and below (I had no idea about the brony fandom at this point.) but I was curoius to find out what happened next.

Later still, watching the show had became a plesant change to constant murder programs my mum likes to watch (Constantly watching murder shows everyday was really start get me down.) It was nice to watch something bright, cheerful and just genrally happy. But what really made the show great for me is when I stumbled across equestria daily. The very first post I saw on there was asking which pony people would like to hug. This for me was wondrful. I myself would like to give most ponies on the show hug (except Diamond Taria and Silver Spoon) and of course I felt weird about that but after finding that post I felt much better knowing that other people had thought about that sort of thing. Since then I've loved watching so show and now do so guilt free.  /)^3^(\

As for the staying a part of the fandom. I think I would have watched the show regardless of discovering the existance of other bronies however I don't think I'd be as happy as had I not. Mainly due to the fandom itself. It's a great feeling knowing that I'm part of a fandom that will try to help anyone out.

And finally what I'm doing now

Well... I finally gave in and made myself a OC today, does that count?

That was really post...Sorry about that.

A 16 year old from New York

It was pretty much the school year of  2013-2014 where I made friends with a couple guys who watched the show, they talked about it a bit around me and tried convincing me to watch it.  So during April break 2014 I got bored so I looked up the first episode on Dailymotion, watched the second one thought it was ok and left it at that for a couple days.  Near the end of that week I got bored again so I looked up the third episode, started watching and the rest is history.

What got me to stick around was the fact that (and I'm not too comfortable with saying this), MLP is probably one of the only things atm that can probably have me think positive thoughts.

As for my involvement in the fandom, PF2 was kinda my first interaction with the fandom, and my first on an online forum, besides that not much unfortunately, I have and am still trying to make PMVs, though it's going to be a while before I put another one out (gotta learn After Effects).  Haven't been to any cons yet, there's one close by that I'll try to go to.  Also since I learned about the fandom, I've been trying to stay on the positive side of it, I guess that's one reason why I want to make PMVs, I consider the creative side to lean more towards being positive.

Well To Start my story, well I'm from the forums called HHP (which is ham-ham paradise although it died and completely inactive for now) and then I came across the MLP FiM Fan club thread on that forums so when i took a look at the thread and then I was like what's the show about and then I decided to take glimpse at the show at the 1st episode of the 1st season and then I kept going and going and then I came across another MLP FiM thread in another forums i came from and then fans in that forums were talking about it and then when I realized that I had the actual show and channel on my cable, I started watching it on TV at december 8, 2011 which is like about 2 days away from secret of my excess episode.

When I got interested in the show, I was completely wrong and proved by fans who watched the show was not only for girls, but also for boys too. It's most likely that there are 2 forums that got me into the show.

So I started to confess or make it official that I loved the show. The songs, the laughs, the characters, and everything.

after that, well I decided to check out most of the fan arts, the pony merch, and pony OCs. the Pony OCs was new to me so I decided to give it a try for myself although it's only start, but still new to it.

I say I got into the fandom around 2012. At first I had no clue why everyone liked the show to begin with. I just thought it was /b/ acting like a bunch of retards again. However my friend happened to watch the show and told me that I really needed to watch it, so basically I said fuck it and just did. Needless to say I got hooked really fast. Haven't looked back since.

Though I do have my concerns about the show still, mostly that of Twilight becoming a giant mary sue 

Hmm, my descent into Ponydom began somewhere around early 2012, not quite sure when exactly.

See, back then myself and a bunch of friends used to run a Garry's Mod community with three servers under our belt(s) and had quite a bit of traffic through them, with a ton of Addons (mind you this was way, way before the Workshop or even Toybox became a thing and mods /aka Addons/ were harder to manage, install and configure). 

Though my first introduction to the show was around March from videos that were requested via the server's PlayX mod (It's basically what the Cinema gamemode is based on but it was still in its infancy back then), mostly PMV's and random clips from the show. Never really paid it much mind until some people started making a fuss, and by Celestia the regulars and some of the members could be a fickle bunch if they wanted to. That eventually lead to one of the co-leaders, a good friend of mine, to tell us that he hates ponies and start cracking down on pony related stuff, sometimes taking it as far as a ban. Naturally I loved messing with him, so I went around and lifted bans while he wasn't around and generally aided any Bronies who found their way onto our servers, as well as accept any videos they'd request just to tick off some of the regular people I didn't like (and believe me I don't just randomly hate people, you really have to work my buttons and be a complete flankhat).

Eventually I tried taking it a step further and sent him pony pictures masked under tinyurl's whenever he got too worked up over it. In between looking for images to troll him with and the infamous YouTube recommendations tab that kept spewing out pony videos, because I had looked up a few for PlayX requests, I was slowly buried alive in Pony. So during Spring break of 2012 I was like "Alright, I've been seeing and using this stuff for ages, might as well see what all the fuss is about.". I downloaded Season 1, and just as the credits for "Friendship is Magic Part 2" faded in, I knew.

I knew, I wasn't getting out of this alive. Three years later, absolutely no regrets. Somehow unsurprising, considering I've been an avid animation fan for as long as I can remember. And seeing how it's made by Lauren Faust cemented things even further, that woman owns my childhood. ._. 

As for the other questions, I'm Skyrazer (-"Ya don't say?") and I'm from Bulgaria (It's in Eastern Europe.)  Fandom involvement? Well that's varied: I'm a rookie artist and do pony related modding, primarily for Payday 2, and I like to make up stories but never actually wrote a Fic.  

I'm probably at this point what one might consider an Oldfag. Although I sure as hell can't pass that by /mlp/ since I wasn't there on the first day of /co/ and only visited when /mlp/ was just made after Moot lifted the ban on pony and made that containment blue board. But never-the-less.

I "joined" the fandom during the interim of Season 1 and Season 2. At the time I had a slow-ass internet connection and trying to watch the episodes was an experience in frustration, more-so because I wanted to watch them in HD and full screen. I remember sitting in the living room in the dark after everyone went to sleep watching at least two episodes a night.

I decided to explore this new thing because I had been seeing things popping up about the internet. At the time I was a regular on the Minecraft forums where people were posting with ponies for avatars and there was a dedicated MLP thread in one of the sub-forums. At the time I excused it and scoffed at it as another furry thing and gave it not heed. Although at the same time this shit felt familiar, and I remember I had read comments on a Cracked article taking one of the G1 movies rather seriously before FiM was really "big", if around at all.

But late some people I followed on DeviantArt were starting to post pony or about pony. For example, aritst AngusMcLeod (who I was following for his WW1-inspired pencil and ink work) had posted some pony work himself, including:

138427__safe_human_pony_nightmare+moon_b

tumblr_mje7w7u4uF1s0t78zo1_500.jpg

At the same time, a minor artist had posted a "guide" on how to get into pony, recommending if anyone wants to see what the show is about to watch the first three-episodes; for a taste of the adventure writing and for the slice-of-life which was common from then on. So I decided to take that to heart when I got more curious of pony because Minekraft and watched the first three in one night.

Then the next night I watched the next two.

And again the following night.

One thing left to another and I was hooked, I promised myself I wouldn't do pony art. Or buy pony merch. But both were doomed to fail, one sooner than the other.

Edited by AaronMk