Sign in to follow this  
Light Blade

ATTACK OF THE PROBABLY-SPAM CONTENT!

This has been happening for about a week, I'm sure they're doing everything they can.

I would suggest perhaps adding a captcha when creating threads if possible? If this is bot-powered?

• Like 2

I'm taking care of the bots now, seems they flooded in this time. Might take a bit.

EDIT: Bots are now dealt with I believe, report any stray spam topics or bots

• Like 5

After doing further research into the matter, it seems two other forums have had different ideas that may work in the scenario (I'm not sure what resources you guys have at hand for forum control).

One simple idea is from a forum completely disallowed Chinese characters (I guess it would prompt the thread-maker that invalid characters are being used?) Thus preventing any spam.

A different, but not free idea, is an IP lookup service that you could pair with forum registration that prompts a forum administrator to review accounts from red flag regions (i.e. India or China).

Here are my sources:

• Like 2

I've been keeping tabs on the forums whenever these show up for the last week and all the staff have been banning them on sight, but this isn't going to cut it. You can easily tell when the're around by the >100 "Guests" showing up in the Online Users list. 

2 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

After doing further research into the matter, it seems two other forums have had different ideas that may work in the scenario (I'm not sure what resources you guys have at hand for forum control).

One simple idea is from a forum completely disallowed Chinese characters (I guess it would prompt the thread-maker that invalid characters are being used?) Thus preventing any spam.

A different, but not free idea, is an IP lookup service that you could pair with forum registration that prompts a forum administrator to review accounts from red flag regions (i.e. India or China).

Here are my sources:

I've been to a few other old forums I used to frequent and I've seen similar spam messages which is really concerting.

Those are all great suggestions and while the IP lookup service might not stick, restricting new accounts or what they try to post should be doable.

Having new accounts or ones with score < 10 require their posts be approved by a Moderator / Admin before showing up should be pretty easy to set up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Having new accounts or ones with score < 10 require their posts be approved by a Moderator / Admin before showing up should be pretty easy to set up.

but that might put off people

31 minutes ago, MoltenKitten said:

but that might put off people

That's only one option, but it's all up to the admins. For now we'll just deal with  the spammers as they come in, but more anti-bot measures need to put into play when making an account.

Should we create a thread to warn of an incoming burst of spam... because I'm noticing A LOT of guests on the Pinkie Pie Fan Club thread right now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Light Blade said:

@Shadow Dash

A lot of guests? Where? I didn't see anything suspicious in Pinkie's FC

It seems to have died down. I noticed the guest list had gotten to 90-ish, and the guest list showed about 60 of them were viewing that one page. But there doesn't seem to be any spam, so I guess it must have been a search engine or something.