RadioactiveNuke

Need Advanced Computer Help

So recently I tried to install Ubuntu 14.04 to my laptop. I had a partition set aside for it and during setup, selected the partition, but when I tried to install to that one partition it installed GRUB to all partitions and the installer crashed, and as a result I am not able to boot into Windows at all. Ubuntu was also not able to install and instead I'm currently on Xubuntu 14.04. My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 Professional and I do not have the installation disk and I cannot download the .iso from Microsoft even with a valid key. My laptop also has no physical CD/DVD drive so my only option is to use a bootable USB drive.

I believe GRUB damaged the Windows boot but I do not have the disk to repair it and I'm hesitant to uninstall GRUB and lose Linux as well. As a side note, I am using an HP Envy laptop and GRUB is also blocking me from restoring it to factory settings via a pre-installed backup.

I've tried using testdisk on Linux but any instructions I've found are difficult to understand and I don't want to risk accidentally making it worse. I have all important files backed up and I don't want to reinstall Windows unless absolutely necessary.

You're going to need a bootable windows USB to fix this. Once you have a bootable USB, though, you can rebuild the bootloader using tools on the installer. Here is a link that can help: Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

Basically, once you are into a recovery console on the installer, these are the commands you want:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Also, if you need a source for an iso file, send me a PM here or message on Steam - I would post here but I don't know what the legal implications for the forums would be (even if iso files have no relation to product keys and should be freely available; Microsoft is just dumb)

So I set up the boot USB and all was going well until I got to the drivers screen for a reinstall. The screen was blank and after a bit of googling from my phone I found that Windows won't boot from USB 3.0 and only 2.0. I have a 2.0 flash drive but trying to repair Windows cut off Linux and now I don't have access to any operating system. I also don't have an available live CD of Ubuntu so I don't have many options here.

Better start asking some friends...

I was under the impression you wanted to repair the existing Windows you already had installed, and the Ubuntu installer had only overwritten the Windows Bootloader with GRUB. Can you get access to a recovery command prompt, or does the installer fail before you even get that option? And does your laptop ONLY have USB 3.0 ports?

My original intent was to repair it, yes. When I started Windows repair it did not fix anything and running the second command of bootsec you posted also failed. My laptop only has 3.0 ports and I can get to a recovery command prompt. I talked to a friend and they'll be letting me use their computer soon so hopefully I can get a proper install.

So an update to my computer problem: turns out my hard disk was set to dynamic instead of basic and Windows can't work with dynamic. So I had to format it and the install went through, although now I have no drivers (except keyboard and trackpad). That shouldn't be too hard to fix though. Thanks for the help.