Steamworks

S5 Episode 15 - Discussion

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/3km1kr/mlpfim_season_5_episode_streams_part_2/

(Discovery Family is showing Canterlot Boutique at 10am, a G3 movie at 10:30am, and then the new episode at 11:30am. It's a tiny chance to catch up and then see the horrors of G3 before the new episode if you get the channel.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37ayng

It's a tiny chance to catch up and then see the horrors of G3 before the new episode if you get the channel.

Watch Rarity create a rainbow in the G3 special, then afterwards in the new episode *reads synopsis*... she's freeing a rainbow. Top kek, Hasbro!! hurrr_zpsfdbd5jso.png

• Like 1

DailyMotion link is up.

Rarity seems like an odd choice for the detective in a film noir homage. Seems more like something Pinkie would do or maybe AJ's a big fan of the genre or something.

Spitfire's family shows up before Fluttershy's and Scootaloo's.

I kind of wish Spitfire had chewed out Wind Rider. Between being the leader and having invested so much into the organization, you'd think she would have ton to say about a living legend acting counter to everything they stand for (or maybe that's just my headcanon getting in the way). I wonder if we'll ever see any followup on it where the Wonderbolts go back and investigate any similar incidents, possibly restoring Wonderbolt status to others who were found to have been screwed over by Wind Rider. And there's the part where the media eats him alive.

Wow, they're really racking up the continuity this season. Regardless I think the episode was awesome, had me laughing through a good bit of it with Rainbow's little tantrums working in synergy with Rarity's narration and little zone-out moments. Rare's not the most focused pony to be a detective but she does indeed have the eye for detail. The only nitpick-y thing I have with this is that they really couldn't have made it more obvious that that was Spitfire's mother, they're like two peas in a pod, minus the age factor. You can really tell she's been the role model for Spitfire.  

This... This episode... OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD, THIS WAS THE RARIDASH EPISODE I ALWAYS WANTED!! We finally got a Raridash episode after nearly 4.5 years (DO NOT SAY "SONIC RAINBOOM." "SONIC RAINBOOM" WAS NOT A RARIDASH EPISODE. IT WAS A FLUTTERDASH EPISODE THAT PARTWAY IN THE WRITERS SAID, "ER, CRAP, I THINK I WROTE MYSELF INTO A CORNER WITH THE A STORY HERE.... EEAYYA, SCREW IT, RARITY." AND THEN TWILIGHT ACCIDENTALLY RARITY AN ALICORN FOR 12 MINUTES AND THE FANDOM DIDN'T EXPLODE.). Now, it was obvious from the start it was it going to be Wind Rider. That's just how Occam's Razor works, after all. HOW this was figured out was the fun part, along with Rainbow Dash learning to have faith in her friend despite all her costume changes. Hell, I'd bet she already had it solved in Act 2, but just wanted to wear more outfits and had the time to do it. That's what makes Rarity best rice ball.

The muted trumpet-filled jazz tracks in this episode were just superb, including the one they played over the end credits. It's nice to hear the soundtrack slowly diversify. (Maybe there's still hope for a Fluttershy speed metal song after all.)

The only thing that did trip me up about the episode though was that the pony I heard later in the episode to be named "Blaze" I actually confused for Spitfire herself, given her similar color scheme and mane. And on the note of pony design, it is nice though that the writers and art department are living up to their promise of more green pone.

• Like 1

Yeah, this episode was a lot of fun. It was just a nice little character story, the identity of the culprit wasn't really the point. It was all about Rarity solving the mystery and getting to see Rainbow and Rarity interact. I never knew they could play off each other so well. Rarity had entirely too much fun with the costume changes and the monologues. Also not surprised she's learned a spell to summon a trunk with spare outfits... considering what's happened to her at big events.

DailyMotion link is up.

Rarity seems like an odd choice for the detective in a film noir homage. Seems more like something Pinkie would do or maybe AJ's a big fan of the genre or something.

Spitfire's family shows up before Fluttershy's and Scootaloo's.

I kind of wish Spitfire had chewed out Wind Rider. Between being the leader and having invested so much into the organization, you'd think she would have ton to say about a living legend acting counter to everything they stand for (or maybe that's just my headcanon getting in the way). I wonder if we'll ever see any followup on it where the Wonderbolts go back and investigate any similar incidents, possibly restoring Wonderbolt status to others who were found to have been screwed over by Wind Rider. And there's the part where the media eats him alive.

Isn't Soarin the leader? I think Spitfire is like head of recruitment or something but not the captain.

Nah, Spits was ready to cut Soarin' after he was injured just before the trials for the Equestria Games, remember? Pretty sure Spits is lead, Soarin' is second in command.

Was I the only one expecting it to be a changeling? I mean really, the cake shop owner pretty much describes Rainbow and after hearing her raspy voice even points her out as the one that came by, but it's somehow revealed butter-voiced stallion was the one that did it? Am I missing something here?

Was I the only one expecting it to be a changeling? I mean really, the cake shop owner pretty much describes Rainbow and after hearing her raspy voice even points her out as the one that came by, but it's somehow revealed butter-voiced stallion was the one that did it? Am I missing something here?

Don't toy with me.

• Like 1

Quite the nice episode, with the film noir feel and Rainbow Dash slowly climbing the Wonderbolt ranks and whatnot (admittedly she is still a reserve but she's getting recognition). However i'm starting to get concerned with the amount of enemies the mane 6 are creating, I mean there are quite a few of them now, say they were to combine their efforts to make a comeback it would be quite the force to be reckoned with. I guess time will tell if in fact some form of finale might come out of this.

Ok...better slow down my conjecture and realize i'm probably overthinking it way more than is needed. Woo imagination.

On 9/20/2015 at 8:04 AM, Lord Nanfoodle said:

This... This episode... OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD, THIS WAS THE RARIDASH EPISODE I ALWAYS WANTED!! We finally got a Raridash episode after nearly 4.5 years (DO NOT SAY "SONIC RAINBOOM." "SONIC RAINBOOM" WAS NOT A RARIDASH EPISODE. IT WAS A FLUTTERDASH EPISODE THAT PARTWAY IN THE WRITERS SAID, "ER, CRAP, I THINK I WROTE MYSELF INTO A CORNER WITH THE A STORY HERE.... EEAYYA, SCREW IT, RARITY." AND THEN TWILIGHT ACCIDENTALLY RARITY AN ALICORN FOR 12 MINUTES AND THE FANDOM DIDN'T EXPLODE.).

right