Sign in to follow this  
TaliaKirana

Equestria Girls: Friendship Games

Hopefully this is okay to post. In addition to "Made in Manehatten" for FiM next week, I'm also really looking forward to Friendship Games. Soundtrack released Friday, and Shout Factory's released some clips from the actual movie. Including part of the video for "What More is Out There." That song is just so sad. I already felt bad for alt!Twilight from the little scraps we had from the trailers, but the stuff that's released in the last couple of days has upgraded to wanting to give her a hug. It's also another interesting what might have been for the Twilight we know. No real friends, no mentor that cares, and her Spike is just a dog.

Though, I suspect puppy!Spike will end up getting the ability to speak. Shout Factory also released the intro and Spike had his voice actor credited. If it was just barks and whines, that would not have made the opening credits. I've kind of suspected some kind of magical shenanigans doing that to puppy!Spike practically since we saw him and alt!Twilight in the Rainbow Rocks stinger. (After all, a cute talking animal mascot is almost mandatory for a group of magical girls.)

I'm honestly really excited for it. Never had much hope for this spin-off when the first movie was announced but it turned out pretty good (even though it fell flat in a few places). Rainbow Rocks took it above and beyond, so I have high hopes for this movie. Dodging spoilers is getting pretty hard this week, what with all the sneak peeks and whatnot, and I've honestly only seen the Intro and the four Shorts. 

So, here's hoping for another awesome movie. Hype train : Full speed ahead!

Yeah, I wasn't too interested when the first movie was announced. But I was willing to give it a chance, and Equestria Girls was fun even if had some flaws. Rainbow Rocks was just excellent, and rocketed Sunset up near the top of my favorite pony list. (The top spot on that list will always belong to Twilight. I think Sunset and Rarity share second place at the moment.) Friendship Games looks like it's going to be pretty good as well now that we're finally seeing more come out. I don't know how I'm going to stand the wait for Saturday.

Okay, the anti-human sentiment displayed by some sections of the fandom worries me at times.

Now that's out of my system, Friendship Games tomorrow! I can't wait to see it! (I know I like the soundtrack, so I'm hoping that means good things for the movie.) Excited for the new episode too, but this is the EqG topic.

Did... Did anyone else want to reach out through the screen and choke that principal? I swear, you know what she me makes me think of? Donald Trump. She's the Equestria Girls version of Donald Trump.

Also, the final battle there... I may have never seen the series, but for some reason, some part of my brain was screaming to another part of my brain, "You know, I bet they got some of this from 'Madoka.'"

I don't like that principal. Also, what the Hell is up with Shining and Cadance? Those aren't the Shining and Cadance we all know and love. I don't see either of them being underlings for a bitch like Cinch. Also, what's up with Luna in all of the EqG movies? She doesn't seem quite right either.

It's definitely weird not seeing it in theaters first. 

Cadance gets a little more Cadance-y over time, but, meh, still doesn't feel like Pony!Cadance.

The villain song is nice, but it seems like it's missing something. It's on the verge of being as good as This Day Aria.

So Sunset Shimmer is now an alicorn?

I want the story of this time travel loop.

This movie far exceeded my expectations and I felt like the EqD mane 6's started to display more of the true Equestrian colors, which I know sounds awfully cliche, but it was an interesting character development for the characters from a different perspective.
 And gawd dammit, why are villain songs so good?!

Spoiler to avoid...well, spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyhZr_MNMJw
Twilight becoming the bad guy? Well, now if only we can convert nightmare Twilight into a pony, then that'd be pretty epic to see.

This movie also had some very interesting parallels to Episode 1, which was an interesting callback.

Sunset Shimmer is definitely becoming one of my favorite characters, even if she is a putz throughout most of the later two movies, but seeing a character go from evil to nice and actually show an earnest to do so is something I appreciate. Besides:

Sunset Shimmer is best phoenix.

Edited by Toki Zensekai
  • Like 1

I suspect the time travel loop is part of the s5 finale. Which reinforces my belief s5 was supposed to start in fall 2015 before the Hub imploded. So s5 would have ended, and Friendship Games would have aired in the break between seasons. Making Princess Twilight's comment a funny little callback. (And thus we would have already known why she wasn't answering Sunset's letters, since this seems to be implying Friendship Games and the s5 finale were happening at the same time.) Airing right after "Made in Manehatten" where Twilight was complaining she's bored is a little jarring.

I'm kind of amused I correctly called puppy!Spike getting the ability to talk via magical mishap, and that Twilight was involved. Didn't expect Fluttershy or the jackalope. I'm also not surprised alt!Twilight decided to leave Crystal Prep. The Shadowbolts may be sorry now, but I don't blame her for wanting to leave a place where she was so unhappy. (I honestly expected Cinch to get fired at the end of the movie, but it seems like she's managed to escape with her job.)

The confrontation between Midnight Sparkle and Phoenix Sunset was just so gorgeously animated. I know some people are going to ding the climax for Sunset doing it alone, but I think it's the only way it could have worked here. All six of them trying probably would have just stirred up her memories of the Shadowbolts picking on her. And Sunset knew better than anyone where Midnight was at that moment. But it speaks volumes that Twilight didn't need to be hit with the harmony beam, she was able to take that hand while still powered up and let the magic go.

I honestly would have liked to see some reactions from different Equestrians about the portals opening, and see the utter mayhem that could ensue.

About the movie in general... I liked it. i liked it quite a lot. Equestria Girls was rather... underwhelming. Rainbow Rocks was much better, and I think the story-writers kinda got the message from our reactions to the first movie. What they did with Friendship Games, however, nailed the setting on the head, I think.

Here, we see that once again, a rather 'normal' school event is utilized as a mask for the true important things to occur. Equestria Girls was... acceptable in their performance in this regard. The Sirens and their 'Battle of the Bands' in Rainbow Rocks was pretty well done, but this one... just seemed really good. (Although, I'm probably just fan-boying due to the recency effect or something.)

I have to say something about the storyline, though. While everything up to Twilight's opening of the device made sense, her actions while corrupted, didn't. What exactly was she trying to accomplish? If she was trying to enter Equestria, I think the scene could have been handled better. Perhaps she begins to open a portal, (breaking the statue down if they really want to do that), and trying to enter. But the act of crossing over causes much destruction around the area. Then, could we have the Sunset Shimmer v.s. Twilight scene.

Also, I think Twilight's motivation to enter Equestria was to learn about magic. This should have been made much more obvious and sensible by making Twilight much more focused on learning about magic, becoming slightly more obsessive, throughout the movie.

Next, I have to get this out of my system. I. F******. HATE. THAT. PRINCIPAL. NO HUMANE PERSON ABUSES THEIR AUTHORITY LIKE THAT. AND ALL THAT FOR A LITTLE 'reputation'!? Disgusting, I swear. Then, you even have the arrogant nerve to openly insult your rival like that? Disgusting.

Suffice to say, if the writers wanted to make an unlikable villain, they succeeded with me.

All in all, I actually really enjoyed this movie, and I'm already excited to see the next. (Please don't tell me there isn't.)

I think the basic point was once Twilight transformed into Midnight, she snapped. She was flooded with all that power and couldn't handle it. Sunset says as much, calling out that the same thing happened to her with the crown.

I did kinda wish the final fight had been a little longer, like it was with Rainbow Rocks, as it felt a bit rushed (a simple clashing of fists and a short beam o' war, and that was it, compared to the various magical exchanges in "Rainbow Rocks" topped off with the Hyper Alicorn Spirit Bomb finisher at the end), but otherwise the movie overall was pretty good.

I kind of understand why the fight was short. Midnight didn't need to be blasted into a crater... she needed someone who cared, who understood. I think Sunset was the only one who could reach her at that point. Sunset had her time as a pariah, and she understood being consumed by power.

(Yeah, that line about the magic of the crown overwhelming Sunset is a small retcon... but at least it makes some sense of what happened with Sunset's transformation. Seems to be a theme that messing with wild, unknown magic is never a good idea. Especially if you have selfish or evil intentions.)

I'm not exactly how to do spoilers on this forum so forgive me if I screw it up.

My two main problems are with the dirt bike race and the ending. For the race I fail to see how inter dimensional giant plants attacking people is not cause for a rematch, and even during that the audience seems completely ok with all of it.

As for the ending with the principle, how can they possibly still use the "It's magic and they won't believe you" card at all at this point? I mean in the first movie the school was heavily damaged, and especially in today's society something even somewhat reminiscent of an explosion at a school is going to attract a lot of attention. Also you can't tell me supernatural stuff is happening in front of two high schools and not a single person pulled out their phone in that time. Plus the movie makes it very apparent that magic is common knowledge anyway, but I guess the movie just needed a convenient way to get rid of the villain.

Aside from all that it was decent.

Well, the deleted scenes are out, and holy molly they deleted a lot of good stuff. The whole Homesick Sunset subplot, and the Sunset / Sci-Twi duet was just amazing. Really hope they introduce that plot in the next movie seemed like she misses Equestria a lot from the deleted stuff. :gonkity:

Though they did leave the movie's ending a lot more open-ended than what the deleted one would have been.

Deleted Scenes

Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary

Is it wrong to admit that I like alt!Twi transferring? If she'd gone back (like this alternate ending implied)... we would have never seen her again. I think she's got potential to do some interesting things.

Also, I still believe "Dance Magic" was either supposed to be in the movie... or for a short that didn't get made. If in the movie, I think now it was supposed to be in the dance scene where they were meeting the Shadowbolts.

Is it wrong to admit that I like alt!Twi transferring? If she'd gone back (like this alternate ending implied)... we would have never seen her again. I think she's got potential to do some interesting things.

Also, I still believe "Dance Magic" was either supposed to be in the movie... or for a short that didn't get made. If in the movie, I think now it was supposed to be in the dance scene where they were meeting the Shadowbolts.

Yeah, the ending they kept seems to work best for now. It's very open-ended and lets them have a lot more freedom with the next movie. What worries me though is having SciTwi around is probably going to overshadow Sunset or vice versa, seeing as how both of them are technically Leaders you can't really have two in the same group without one overshadowing the other. But hopefully DHX will figure out a way to make it work, or may end up shuffling Sunset off to Equestria and replacing her with the Human world's Sunset just like they did with Twilight.

Twilight may be a leader, but SciTwi hasn't nearly gotten to that point yet. For a while she'll probably still be too unsure of herself, and/or too introverted to really take the role Sunset currently has. She'll probably grow into it in time, but by then Sunset may graduate.