Lord Nanfoodle

Any Tips on Replacing USB Ports?

I'm pretty certain my USB ports are faltering, as they seem to wiggle a bit, and power to my headphones and/or mouse can go out if they shift in just a certain way (I know one is broke for sure, and the jack I'm using for my headphones only works as so long as I have the charging cable plugged in and supporting the headphone cable), but for the life of me I can't seem to find any info on where to find replacement ports, nor truly accurate info on how to replace them. The computer in question is a HP Pavilion G6 notebook (exact details are located behind my battery; I'll check those later). Also, I am not a stranger to tearing down and changing parts on a computer. I have swapped out memory sticks on my old desktop, and have replaced the keyboard on this very laptop. See, some things I see say I just need to remove and mount the new port, while some discuss soldering, which is something I cannot do.

So, basically, I need help finding a site that sells new ports, as well as proper instructions on what I'll need to do to replace the ports.

I’ve done some searching, and found the HP Pavilion G6 Maintenance and Service Guide on HP’s website.

Page 73 (Safari’s PDF reader) and page 65 (HP’s own page numbering) show how to replace the right-side USB port near the power jack after removing the battery, service door, hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, and top cover. That port comes on a board and doesn’t require soldering, but the two on the left do require soldering.

According to the service manual, the spare part number for the USB board is “641145-001”. I tried to use HP’s spare parts search option on their website, but this part isn’t available anymore on there. I did find a few sites selling it, such as an Amazon listing and a listing on Impact Computers. It seems that Impact Computers isn’t a very good company based on my research (at least one person complained about being sent the wrong part and getting charged a large restocking fee because IC said it was the customer’s fault and that the part wasn’t defective).

The Amazon listing is being sold by “Ersazza” and they have only 84% positive in the last 12 months, with 25 ratings.

I have found quite a few listings for this part on Ebay by searching for “pavilion g6 usb board”, but searching for “641145-001” brings up one result from “diyitparts” with a big list of compatible models. Their profile shows 100% positive feedback in the last 12 months, and ship from Australia. As of writing this, the listing shows the price being approximately $15.87 US, with AusPost Registered Post International Parcel international shipping being about $21.28 US. This totals about $37.15 US.

My old laptop is an HP Pavilion G6, and I’ve noticed the USB port near the power connector having issues in the past as well (if that’s the one you’re having issues with), but I stopped using that port as soon as I identified the issues with it. I hope you can get your USB port(s) working correctly successfully soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, db100 said:

I’ve done some searching, and found the HP Pavilion G6 Maintenance and Service Guide on HP’s website...

You... you are a godsend. Thank you!! :yay:

1 hour ago, db100 said:

Page 73 (Safari’s PDF reader) and page 65 (HP’s own page numbering) show how to replace the right-side USB port near the power jack after removing the battery, service door, hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, and top cover. That port comes on a board and doesn’t require soldering, but the two on the left do require soldering.

I guess the contradictory information about soldering ports now makes sense, seeing as the ones on the left-hand side are integrated into the motherboard while the one on the right is merely mounted to it (Not sure why they chose this two-fold design for USB ports though). A shame the port I know is broke for certain is one of those on the left, while the other two seem loose, though this new info reveals only the right-hand port is within my capacity to fix/replace.

You’re welcome, I’m glad I could help with that.

If possible, you might want to use a powered USB hub for the loose USB port on the left. That way, it should only loosen when attaching and removing the hub, while any devices you want to use with the port would only cause the hub’s ports to weaken. I don’t know how weak the port on the left is, though, so this might not work.

Something else that might help temporarily with the loose ports could be a small, bottom-weighted Lego set consisting of one (or more) 4x2 brick(s), 1x1 or 2x1 bricks on the sides, and a flat piece connecting them on top. The headphone cable would then go through the middle area. I don’t know if this would be of any help since I haven’t tried this, though.

• Thanks 1