E-p.onyx!

HOT TOPIC (mlp no more?)

Rainbow-Dash-10-inch-Famosa-Plush.jpg

Today I went to the mall an of course to Hot Topic to find MLP merchandise. Upon entering I was shocked to find there was not a single item that had to do with MLP!!!!!

I approached a sales clerk and asked why, to which he replied "MLP wow that's like old news, I didn't think that was still a thing, we might have some on our website." I then searched Spencer's and even Journeys kids, but to no avail. after searching the mall I finally found 4 or 5 plushies of Rainbowdash tucked away in the corner of a puzzle store!!

What do you think of this? please respond below.

I noticed the Hot Topics in my area clear house of MLP a year or two ago. I never got why. Maybe it was a corporate decision or they thought that it was a fad they ride and get off of before it crashes. But MLP is going strong as ever and even has a movie coming out this year. If they don't stock anything even for the movie then I'd say they've permanantly lost touch with that fandom/market. I bought lots of MLP merch from them so it's not like bronies are not paying customers. :sunset:

• Like 2

I had a similar experience the last time I went to my local mall (back in December). I had a quick look around in Hot Topic, but they didn't have anything MLP related at all. It kind of surprised me. I guess MLP isn't considered a "hot topic" anymore.

At the opposite end of the mall, I actually saw a claw machine filled with MLP plushies. They were so tightly packed in the machine that it would have been impossible for the claw to latch onto one of them, so I didn't bother wasting money on it.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:55 PM, Netburst Celeron said:

I had a similar experience the last time I went to my local mall (back in December). I had a quick look around in Hot Topic, but they didn't have anything MLP related at all. It kind of surprised me. I guess MLP isn't considered a "hot topic" anymore.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:37 PM, Snide Ways said:

I think the movie will add product interest again. That's good, because I can never have enough ponies stuff around the house.

The thing about Hot Topic is that stuff like this happens all the time because of its name. It's true that MLP isn't as much of a Hot Topic anymore to where they carry very little merch having to do with MLP and are focusing more on things that are in right now, as it says in the name. From what I've seen, they've been focusing more on Funko Pop figures and blind bag figures which seem to be really in right now given how many properties are using it for their merch now. And it's not just at Hot Topic where this has been happening either. I work at my local Wal-Mart and about a month or two ago, our toy section had a huge revamp and we lost a lot of the MLP merch that we carried in the past. We still have MLP merch, but it's definitely not as much as we had prior to the revamp. Even after the release of the movie, we still don't have that much anymore. I guess that MLP may have lost its luster for the general populace to warrant the change. I'm hoping the movie may revitalize the brand to a point, but I don't think it will considering that my Wal-Mart hasn't changed at all and we don't have any newer pony merch but we'll have to see. On the positive side, whenever I go to the Target that's nearby, they still have an entire half aisle dedicated to MLP merch, so while it seems to be happening in a lot of places, it's not happening everywhere. I'm curious how things fair at Toys R Us though given their bankruptcy last month. I don't live that close to any Toys R Us' and don't have enough of a desire to shop there for stuff to go on any consistent basis.