That Nerdy Guy

How'd you bronys find the fandom?

Hey guys and gals!

I was just wondering how you folks got into MLP and the fandom. Here's how I did:

It was a couple years ago, and the new school year was about to start. I wasn't as big of a nerd as I am now, I was more like a Nerd-ling? Anyway, I meet this cool girl, I'll keep her name a secret, let's just call her Diana. So, basically, this girl, Diana, is SUPER cool. She was a big nerd when it came to cats, mostly Nyan cat, and the Bravest Warriors animation series on Youtube. One day, me and Diana decide to throw together this cool collage on a Google Slide file, so I put in my cool stuff, like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, that kinda stuff.

She put in cats, cats, cats, and...horses?

Turns out she was a Brony, or "Pegasister", if you prefer. She showed me all the cool music on Youtube like The Living Tombstone's Gypsy Bard remix, the Discord remix, and lots of  DJ PON3 (Her favorite was Pinkie). I showed her Awesome Mix Vol. 1 from Guardians of the Galaxy (Check it out, it ROCKS!), and threw in a bunch of other nerdy stuff. But after the year ended, she disappered. I have no idea where she went.

Then, on October 17th, 2016, I was looking at our old collages. I found all the old Pony music she showed me, and I saw a word in the description of one of them: "Brony." I researched this word all day that day, and I officially watched the first episode on October 18th.  Then, last year, I met another girl (let's call her Ramona), and turns out she's a Pegasister too. I asked her her favorite pone, and it was Pinkie. 

Okay, that's all! Just wanted to write this whole thing when they fixed the Forums!

Thanks for reading, everypony! 

• Like 2

I found out about the fandom through Cheezburger, they have their own section there.

Weirdly I found out from seeing some peoples profile pictures on a forum and then i found that there was a thread about ponies on the forum. I kept revisiting the thread and soon enough I decided to watch a few episodes and I immediately liked it.

Copy and pasting from another thread:

I first heard about Bronies in a forum that's not related to MLP. I did think it was weird at first, but I quickly accepted them, as it reminded me of my nostalgia moments for other cartoons I liked as a little kid. Months later, I found a thread where some poster I respect (but no longer posts) started a poll of best ponies. Wanting to understand why he likes it (and wanting to be able to answer the poll lol), I tried the first two episodes. I thought it was going to be more boring than some of those animes that I tried getting into, but never could. Turns out, I was pleasantly surprised. The Pilot was so good to me, that I spent the rest of the day thinking about how awesome it was. I didn't want to become a Brony out of fear though, so I tried not to binge-watch the next episodes, and took it slow. After watching Suited for Success, however, there was no turning back.

• Like 1

After seeing the "Epic Pie Time" video with Pinkie Pie on Youtube & thinking it was funny I watched the MLP: FiM pilot and thought it was "Ok".

Then, I thought I would watch the third episode to see if the show got any better.

Long story short, I marathoned the series for almost a week until i reached my first official episode as part of the fandom "Just for Sidekicks".

• Like 1

Oh again this question. Too lazy to copy paste old answer so I'll sum it up. There was a war, friends betrayed, lots of internet collateral damage and rainbows. Really once it was impossible to be online and NOT know about ponies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Oh again this question. Too lazy to copy paste old answer so I'll sum it up. There was a war, friends betrayed, lots of internet collateral damage and rainbows. Really once it was impossible to be online and NOT know about ponies.

Strangely enough, I never even heard of MLP:FIM or Bronies, until five years after it came out.  

• Like 3

I kept seeing ponies all over deviantart and other sites like that so I thought, okay what is up with these ponies? So I watched the first season on YouTube and fell in love with the show. I thought it was so cute and fun and the fact that it was made by Lauren Faust is all the better. I actually met her via Skype when me and my best friend went to see  the brony movie. 

I couldn't remember where I heard Lauren fausts name before, but I remembered that she was Craig McCrackens wife, the guy that made my favorite show as a kid, Powerpuff girls. So that was a plus. :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChB said:

Strangely enough, I never even heard of MLP:FIM or Bronies, until five years after it came out.  

Really? Woah you missed the great war of 2011? (or was it 2012...). Basically during season 1 and 2 MLP was the current Big Thing and everyone posted MLP memes everywhere and loads of people were pissed about it which then attracted even more people to see what it is. Then MLP became mainstream and since 2012-2017 it became just another fandom you might find by accident.

• Like 2

The first time I heard about Bronies was on the LEGO Message Boards back in April 2012 (Around the time Season 2 ended)

When a couple of guys on one of the threads started talking about ponies and one of them watched the newly released Canterlot Wedding episode and he said it was emotional. (I can't remember their usernames it was a long time ago.)

Then the following year in the summer of 2013, I remember watching the very first episode of My Little Portal that I found while watching Harry101UK's Portal music videos and I kind of liked it. Then I became curious about the show it was based on, So I watched clips of "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" on my Google Nexus 7 and I thought it was interesting. Then I watched several MLP related videos like "Cutie Mark Laboratories" by RLYoshi, Dr. Wolf's theory on how old the Mane Six are, among others.

After that, I kind of forgotten about this show until early 2014 when LewToons on YouTube uploaded a video titled: "Retooned: My Little Pony G1 - G4" and I watched that and it was very interesting on what the previous generations were like. 

So I watched the same clips from the same episode again just to refresh my mind and three months later I discovered a YouTube channel called "Bin's Toy Bin" and I started watching their reviews on MLP toys and before you know it, 

I became a Pegasister practically overnight. 

• Like 3

It was start of the midseason hiatus for season 2. Winter Break just began at my high school and I was watching Muppet Christmas Carol on Hub when a commercial for Hearth's Warming Eve premiered. I thought nothing of it and continued on with my day. The next day, Know Your Meme posted a video talking about bronies and I got interested. I looked up MLP on YouTube and this was the first piece of the show I ever saw. And yes, it was in fact that exact video.

After that video, I thought it was funny, but it wasn't enough for me to objectively tell myself whether I thought the show was any good. So I looked out of curiosity, and lo and behold the entire series up to the most recent episode was all on YouTube up to Hearth's Warming Eve. Needless to say, I watched the entire series in about 3 or 4 days. I thought season 1 was pretty good, but it wasn't until I saw Discord that I really got into the show and saw what it was capable of. Then season 2 hit me with so many great episodes that I couldn't deny how great the show was any longer. To this day, I still watch the show (obviously).

I was having a Nintendo DSi and used Flipnote Hatena to see animations people made. And there was this one amazing user called Zara, and she (i think) made a music video about the song Party with Pinkie by Alex S. So i asked in the forum of the german minecraft wiki server in the music thread what song this was. One of them found it out and it was "Party With Pinkie" i listened to it, i liked it and just thought to myself "What is this? Huh, must be a crazy man." but then i saw the music video of Beyond Her Tomb and thought "Huh, crazy people, i like it!". After that i started researching what "Bronies" are and found it out.

That's how i found the fandom.

Through various exposure on various forums that made me want to see what the big deal is, made me feel like I was losing my sanity for wanting to see what the big deal was, caving, watching, and the rest is history.

And now I'll likely be leaving since this fandom apparently can't accept negative opinions on certain characters.

13 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

Through various exposure on various forums that made me want to see what the big deal is, made me feel like I was losing my sanity for wanting to see what the big deal was, caving, watching, and the rest is history.

And now I'll likely be leaving since this fandom apparently can't accept negative opinions on certain characters.

Really? But you are vocal only about characters that are designed to be annoying, what is so special about having negative opinions about them? Honestly when you introduced yourself as controversial one I thought you would be an anarcho-capitalist or worse, hate Luna. 

I was playing an online game a few years ago. The forums for this game were covered in ponies. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. After watching a couple of episodes, I was hooked :awesomecheer:

• Like 1

Oooh!

So in like Summer of 2011 (Which I call the Brony Boom, right after Season 1 ended), I was on a forum for the game Spore and since they didn't have an off-topic section, there was one giant thread that was kinda like a chatroom. One of the mods (Ironically, we all worshipped this mod) was really, really tired of ponies and banned anyone who posted ponies in this thread. People got really, really mad and continued posting ponies anyways. Then, pretty much I was like "You know, I wanna see what this show is. I grew up with G3 so" 

And then that was the day I fell in love with cute pastel horses. I pretty much watched every single episode so far!

• Like 2

Other websites I frequented had MLP related content or topics created that introduced me to the show. With all the replies they were getting I took a second to give it a shot. I know one was gamefaq's TF2 board, the other being FFXI's allakhazam's website forums.

Someone had me watch a youtube video last year of Esteban trolling bronies on the game 2nd life.  I had never heard of bronies or really the show for that matter until seeing that.  I thought it was awesome how chill the bronies were about the whole thing and played it off like it was no big deal lol, even joked around with him.  That was unlike a lot of other communities that Esteban trolled on the game, some of them getting really rude and angry.  So at that point I looked into the whole fandom thing and what the big deal was, looking up old news reports and documentaries, etc..  

That led me to giving it a chance myself and buying season 1, at which point I was hooked.  Probably really sold on the show from the "Party of One" episode, which reminded me a lot of Ren and Stimpy when Ren is a hermit episode and other cartoons from my past.  I've bought every season and EG movie since then.  So I guess my experience started out watching a troll lol, but having respect for how ya'll and the fandom handled it compared to other communities.