Sign in to follow this  

Today is the first day of autumn, having begun when summer tapped out this morning at 4:20 AM (heh), at least for us lucky people on the northern hemisphere - good luck with your horrible, horrible spring down south!! Today is also commonly known as the Autumnal Equinox, but as I was reading on a local weather website, while equinox is supposed to mean "equal night" in Latin, and denote when the length of day and night is SUPPOSED to be equal, it actually isn't the case for the most part.

Turns out that the date when the day and night are equal (or as equal as they will possibly get) is actually known as the "Equilux," and that the equiliux (at least where I live, based on elevation and latitude & longitude) will occur on September 26, when the time between sunrise and sunset is 30 seconds greater than 12 hours. The following night, there will be a supermoon coinciding with a total lunar eclipse. Let's see... Equiliux, derived from the word equal, and lux is a measure of illumination equal to 0.0929 foot-candle, and also derived from the latin for light, on the same day on the premiere of the third movie of a certain Flash-filled franchise, followed by an enlarged moon being blotted out from the sky... I see absolutely nothing ominous here. Move along folks.

Anyhow, are you guys looking forward to best season? I am. Days can only get shorter. The air can only get cooler. Bees can only get deader. Holidays can only get closer. I can only get older. It's a win-win-win-win!!

Also, has anyone seen their first holiday ad yet? I have. It was a K-Mart layaway commercial that aired before even Labor Day. I was proud of them.

Not to mention Halloween is right around the corner. It's the one night of the year the weird people can dress how they want and not get shit for it.

I love fall. The leaves turn gorgeous shades and jumping into leaf piles is always a blast.  However i prefer winter. Nothing better then going on walks in the snow. Call me weird and crazy, but i love shoveling snow from walk ways and drive's. Best upper body work out ever plus i can make a good amount of money at the same time.

Winter's where it's at!

Watching the snow fall while sitting in the warmth, reading a good book... Or stacking fifteen layers of clothes when you have to go shopping. Love it.

Also, going shopping is always a little brighter around christmas. Christmas markets, oh I love them.

• Like 2

lolz i handle the weather  with a thermal under shirt, a flannel a wool lined jacked and then a duster for wind protection. oh dropping into negative teens? i have this covered.

Heh, I wear shorts all year round, even when it gets into the teens around here, but have plenty of thermal shirts and a decent coat. For some reason only my hands and arms have issue with the cold.

Honestly my favorite part about Autumn has to be all the rain we get over here,I love rainy days. Though my favorite remains winter. Not a huge fan of the cold, but there's just something very calming about walking home on a snowy evening with only the street lights to illuminate your path. Slow falling snowflakes, crunching snow under your feet, most people are inside hiding from the cold so the streets are mostly empty with the stray car or so passing by.