Jet Streak

Rookie player

Not sure if there is already a post for but here goes.

Okay so first off im new to the game (finished training) I was wondering how to get on FiG servers.

Secondly I was hoping that there was someone who wouldn't mind being join by someone who hasn't been online

yet.

So anyone willing to bring rookie/meatsheild with them?

simply click the link and then click the add friend button on there profile and Jet Streak.Playing against these guys would not be the best idea for a new guy.. i had played the game for over 2 years and they were kicking my butt up and down the map. If you wanna get better i suggest starting on pub servers then moving your way up. If you don't care about any of that then head straight to FiG and good luck ^.^

Sorry to ask but how do I do that? I've not used steam before.TT^TT

Edited by Steel Crescent

simply click the link and then click the add friend button on there profile and Jet Streak.Playing against these guys would not be the best idea for a new guy.. i had played the game for over 2 years and they were kicking my butt up and down the map. If you wanna get better i suggest starting on pub servers then moving your way up. If you don't care about any of that then head straight to FiG and good luck ^.^

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I don't mind dying I was just looking for a new player friendly mlp server. Would you happen to know anything?

And on the friend front, I tried that but it told ther friends list was full.Thanks clearing that up though.

Actually it is better to go up against better players when you start a game. When starting a game like tf2 you aren't going to have any muscle memory yet and building that memory against better players will not make a awkward step of readjusting from standard pub to better players. It is the same reason why unless there is a ng+ setup on your game you should always do the highest difficulty first because getting into the higher difficulty will be harder since you are used to the easier damage models

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I don't mind dying I was just looking for a new player friendly mlp server. Would you happen to know anything?

And on the friend front, I tried that but it told ther friends list was full.Thanks clearing that up though.

If you want to add me you can I have been playing mostly Smite recently but I would be good with giving you a beginners guide to all the combinations of weapons you can be using and some basic strategies.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cybrcmdr 

If it's about the server from what i know it's a stock server with custom maps if i am right. They are usually pretty friendly but pretty competitive.

Actually it is better to go up against better players when you start a game. When starting a game like tf2 you aren't going to have any muscle memory yet and building that memory against better players will not make a awkward step of readjusting from standard pub to better players. It is the same reason why unless there is a ng+ setup on your game you should always do the highest difficulty first because getting into the higher difficulty will be harder since you are used to the easier damage models

If you want to add me you can I have been playing mostly Smite recently but I would be good with giving you a beginners guide to all the combinations of weapons you can be using and some basic strategies.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cybrcmdr 

Im not saying that's a bad thing and i agree with what you are saying but TF2 is a game no matter how much i played i couldn't seem to get all that good at.I may come back to it if this performance update they plan on releasing at the years end cracks up to what i think it is gonna be,i will come back. The game always ran like crap even though i have the computer to play it no matter what i did to improve performance.

Off topic, check the pinned performance guide. Unless you're on really old hardware (like 5+ years old), you should be able to pull triple digit frame rates with the right config. 

On topic, just jump in head first. Unless you've got a background in Quake, you're gonna be garbage. Check the wiki. Don't get all huffy when someone suggests you use the meta loadout. Most other loadouts are subpar/niche. Can't get good if your loadout is only good in certain situations. 

If you add me on steam i can take you to a private server and teach you some of the basics so you won't be completely lost. It's something i've done for several people and i truly enjoy doing it.

If you add me on steam i can take you to a private server and teach you some of the basics so you won't be completely lost. It's something i've done for several people and i truly enjoy doing it.

I did try to add you but it said your friends list was full

Am I still okay to add you on steam? I appreciate offer, could I take you up on that a little later? I sure I could use all the help I could get. ^u^

Am I still okay to add you on steam? I appreciate offer, could I take you up on that a little later? I sure I could use all the help I could get. ^u^

Yes my friends list is open to those looking for help. I can also give you connect info for our mumble if you would like to use that rather than in game chat for going over things

Yes my friends list is open to those looking for help. I can also give you connect info for our mumble if you would like to use that rather than in game chat for going over things

Umm...I just remembered I'm not able voice chat right now(Big bro broke my headset TT^TT) would that be a problem?

As long as you can here me you are good

I cleared my list a little bit, should be ok now.

It's still saying your friends list is full...

I think there a problem on my side.

Edited by Jet Streak

Do you (or any other newbies for that matter) have any specific questions? If you're wondering it, someone else likely is, and it's easier to answer specific things than trying to just explain everything. 9 classes, like 170 weapons, and a ton of maps/gamemodes. It's a lot to cover.

LegendaryR'QA and Azalea Floria helped me out, but I'm still a little nervous about jumping into matchmaking. 

What game modes, maps, and classes might it be best to start with? I'm leaning towards Heavy as my main, with Pyro and Medic as my fallbacks. I could also do engineer, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Matchmaking isn't here yet, so don't worry about it.

Just mess around with all the classes until you find the ones you like/can halfway play decently. Soldier is the generalist class, so he's a decent starting point. Medic lets you hang back a bit and watch while learning the ropes. If there are already 2 or 3 of a class on a team, pick any other class. Outside of the generalist classes (Scout, Soldier, Demo, and Medic), throwing more than 2-3 of the same class on a team causes issues, either from making the team ineffective (I'm looking at you, Spy/Sniper stacks) or from making the team unfun to play against (I'm looking at you, Engie stacks). In low population servers (like 5v5 or less), don't go Heavy. It's just unfun for the other team and pretty boring for you.

Valve lists Payload as a beginner game mode. It is rather nice in that you're not having to swap between defense and offense as rapidly as you do in other game modes. Of the stock PL maps, Badwater, Upward, Barnblitz, Thunder Mountain, and Borneo are the best. Avoid Hoodoo and Goldrush. Those two are full of narrow passages and chokes, which aren't fun in TF2. King of the Hill is mostly about DM, so it should be fairly easy, too. Stock KotH maps to watch for are Viaduct and Lakeside. The game modes are all super straightforward (special delivery and robot destruction aside anyway), so don't worry about it too much. Maps to try avoiding are Junction, Dustbowl, 2fort, Gravelpit is hit or miss, Egypt, Degroot Keep is really more of a distraction, so you're better off avoiding it while trying to learn the ropes, Standin is annoying, Hightower usually turns into a clusterfuck, and I think that's about it for glaringly bad ones.

Make sure you have hitsounds and damage numbers turned on. I highly recommend getting on Gamebanana or mlptf2mods.com or tf2dingalings.com and getting a replacement for the stock hitsound. Heavy, Pyro, and Engie players all get severe ear rape from the stock sound. hud_combattext_batching 1 and hud_combattext_batching_window 2 are very useful console commands. Those set it so the game adds up damage you've done in the last 2 seconds for you.

• Like 1

The more you play, the more little bits and pieces you pick up.  When I first started, I was in a server where a rather competent pyro tended to join often, and I found myself having to keep an eye out for him more than I would for spies, as he had a way of sneaking and airblasting rockets away.  It only took a few tries (read: days) to figure out how to take him down on my own.

Any chance I could get in on this? I've also just started playing, and would appreciate help in learning the game.

Do you play sometime?

I'm still new to this so perhaps this could be good traning for both of us.