Radoozle Paloozle

Getting back into the fandom

Wow...I legitimately haven't touched this website or this series since about 2013. I'm graduating from university soon and that got me thinking about life. I kind of have a nostalgic yearning to come back to all this old stuff I enjoyed in my teens, been getting back into old video games I used to play, I reinstalled Minecraft for example. I've kind of been on a nostalgia trip. As such MLP crossed my mind the other day, I remembered how fond I was of it I remember how disapproving my father was of it.  I abandoned a lot of nerdy stuff for a long time in my late teens, MLP, anime etc... for the better really at the time I was a total neckbeard and the thought makes me cringe a bit of how much of a fanboy I was.

Nonetheless, I just wondered what the state of the fandom is these days whether it's worth getting back into. I'm considering rewatching after this long while just to see if I like it as much as I did, and now I'm older I think I can appreciate it a bit more probably since I'm not so much of a fanboy. Would be interested to hear from those of you who've been around from the beginning and can comment on how the fandom has changed over the years...

College would have been the perfect time to get into fandom stuff. Now that you're graduating, you'll have to get a job and say goodbye to a lot of free time. But as for pony! Its heyday is behind it. A lot of people who used to be make pony content have moved on to other things, or make things less frequently than they used to. And, there are still plenty of people chugging along with their horse art or long-form equine projects. I think the community in general still has a lot to offer (not here, tho, this site is basically dead). Since you've been away for a while, I'd recommend catching up on everything you've missed in the interim. Then you can be sad when a webcomic cuts off in the middle and you realize it isn't ever going to update again, because its creator got into some niche kobold obsession instead. Or watch the last parody video in a series and find out that the maker is writing unrelated webcomics nowadays.

But there's still plenty of content being made! Go watch DWK's videos on Youtube. They double as nice little synopses of the more recent episodes, sometimes. Other times he'll go off on a wild tangent about bronies or self-loathing for most of the episode but that's what makes it fun, you never know what you'll get.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Friendship is Horses said:

College would have been the perfect time to get into fandom stuff. Now that you're graduating, you'll have to get a job and say goodbye to a lot of free time. But as for pony! Its heyday is behind it. A lot of people who used to be make pony content have moved on to other things, or make things less frequently than they used to. And, there are still plenty of people chugging along with their horse art or long-form equine projects. I think the community in general still has a lot to offer (not here, tho, this site is basically dead). Since you've been away for a while, I'd recommend catching up on everything you've missed in the interim. Then you can be sad when a webcomic cuts off in the middle and you realize it isn't ever going to update again, because its creator got into some niche kobold obsession instead. Or watch the last parody video in a series and find out that the maker is writing unrelated webcomics nowadays.

But there's still plenty of content being made! Go watch DWK's videos on Youtube. They double as nice little synopses of the more recent episodes, sometimes. Other times he'll go off on a wild tangent about bronies or self-loathing for most of the episode but that's what makes it fun, you never know what you'll get.

Thanks for your response, I sent this same question into pony soapbox so It'll be interesting to see what responses it gets. I remember EQD being one of the main sites back in the day but I guess that's probably not the case since many folks like me dropped off the radar. Tbh it doesn't bother me that much it was a passing fad for many people but I'm glad there is still a cult following. I have another year or so still before heading into work so there's time, just prioritised interests I could share with others, like gaming and sports and such... but I'm not self-conscious about MLP any more, I enjoy what I enjoy and that's all there is to it. If you have links to sites you'd recommend, hit me up!