Sign in to follow this  
Lord Nanfoodle

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Seeing as I'm a bit of Rebirth junkie, and Edmund has hinted that the Afterbirth expansion might be coming out sometime around late September, I figure I'd make a thread for discussing our favorite strategies, items, synergies, characters, and sharing interesting seeds we may have played.

Personally, if I'm not playing Isaac, my favorite characters to play are Maggie, Judas, and Samson, because Maggie starts with the extra red health and has an active item to regen health, Judas has the Book of Belial, so I never have to worry if I'm going to get devil/angel deals (plus it's a 1.5x damage multiplier), and Samson gets stronger the more he's hit (and I get hit enough).

When I watch folks like Hutts poo-poo red health, it annoys me. Red health has its perks in my books, and to be honest, unless my first devil deal is AWESOME and/or I get Abaddon, I tend to find I favor Angel Rooms when playing Isaac, because you can just fight the angel and re-roll the key piece into an angel item, and if there was an angel item already/angel item you didn't like, DOUBLE ANGEL ITEMS!! Also, most angel items are good (the only ones I can think of I don't like off-hand are the Active Collectibles), and even the weaker Angel items, like the Dead Dove and Holy Grail are pretty good. Meanwhile, the Devil Pool is largely crap with a handful of gems (I love you, Dark Bum). However, if you have three or less red hearts, you have NO EXCUSE not to take Abaddon. Just be sure to always take it last. Now, if you have five of more red hearts, then taking it is just dumb (unless you have Dead Cat in the same deal, and you REALLY want to go Guppy). Finally, if you see it in a devil deal, always, ALWAYS, take Ceremonial Robes. It pays for itself.

To date, I've found the best room-clearing synergy to be Monstro's Lung + Chocolate Milk. Ipecac and/or Cricket's Body just makes this hilarious.

Also, I want to field a question to fellow Isaac players: Do any of you regularly go to Sheol/The Dark Room after you unlock the achievements/items for each character given that red chests are so unreliable and only in the Dark Room you will run the chance of having to deal with the Mask of Infamy and The Cage again, which probably are the two biggest pain in the ass bosses in the game? I've had Dark Room runs where I triple Adversaries before in a room. Personally, now that I've gone through Sheol and the Dark Room with everyone (except The Lost :cry: ), I really have no desire to go back. Besides, The Chest is WAY more fun.

I love the game to. My fav character is Azazel and i have played the hell out of him. I beat mega satan in one freaking shot and i love that he starts with Lord Of The Pit and brimstone even though it's range is small it is still strong. Everytime i try to play a "tear shooting" character i always seem to get nothing but useless items that suck eggs. I haven't really bothered with getting the lost and that only room i have not beat is the chest because i have not unlocked the Polaroid item yet but im working on it.

Another great thing about Azazel for me is that he can easily get items other characters cannot because of his fly ability. Another great thing is he can avoid the dmg from Blood creep and other floor hazards which is another plus in my book. I can see though the D6 for Isaac is nice for easy angel items but i sadly can't get any good items for Tear shooting characters so i have only beaten the full game as Azazel over 20times or so(not mega satan since i only battled him once and never returned to Sheol and beyond).

This is just my opinion like Nanfoodle and im sure everyone has their own prefrence to whom they like. My favorite synergy has to be Brimstone and either Triple or Quadshot which does MASSIVE dmg to enemies and one shots all but a few bosses. My favorite angel items have to be The Wafer,Trinity Shield which make you just too op defense wise and if you really wanna make the game too easy add the Mask Of Infamy into the mix and tears will no longer dmg you xD. I honestly never found the dark room hard except for Super version of the bomber man wanna-be. The most annoying boss for me would have to be the the BIG worm bosses like Chub and Chad since they charge at you when they notice you and it always catches me off guard.

So what is everyone's favorite character and why?

Ah, rookies.

5j2xfTz.jpg

As for my favorite character, I would say it would be Cain and his lucky foot giving him more chances to loot these bloody keys at the end of a room. You have no idea how many treasure rooms I had to skip because it wouldn't give me any.

Oh and if you want a good synergy try Death's touch with a good chunk of damage up items, polyphemus, the sad onion and proptosis, you won't find better to clear up a room No matter the size.

nTZVWh7.jpg

I can see someone has no life xD

Jokes aside i did just unlock the lost and he is hard but fun to play as.. I think he is great for building skill as one hit and you are dead.. As for getting Real platinum god.. That's too much effort for just bragging rights. Im fine with what i got. I beat the game. I got all the endings and characters so im happy with that. Now i just play for fun.

Earlier I finally, FINALLY managed to knock off one of the last few challenges I still had left to do, "Cat Got Your Tongue." The trick is to get familiars. awesomecheer_zpskvbeorwi.png

2CC078629030D4C4016479E1A3D0074F5AAEF7DF

This'll hopefully help me a lot in my Lost runs, given that the Rune of Algiz gives like 45 seconds of invincibility. The only challenges I have left to do are "Purist," "Suicide King," and... *shudders* "Beans." Suicide King has been the one I've been the closest to beating the most, but more often than not, I seem to do well until I get to The Womb II or The Cathedral, then everything collapses rapidly somehow. I've pretty much mastered how to fire the shots in the challenge in order to hit most enemies. I still have maybe 1 out of about 200 shots explode in my face though.

Also, Yoxy-senpai, how about imparting some more of your wisdom on us? Obviously, the number one rule is dodge, Piccolo taught us that, but what other tricks did you figure out for getting through The Lost. Another thing, I wonder how you got a Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl so fast? The closest I've ever gotten to forming one or the other is making a Level 3 Bandage Girl, and that's WITH using a Book of Revelations to up my chances of fighting a Horseman.

The only advises I can really give with The Lost is to become really good at dodging and to use his flight ability to hide from the most dangerous enemies, most of them can't shoot in rocks. Finding the dead cat or a 1-up also helps a lot since it allows mistakes without having to restart everything. Don't pick the ankh or Judas's shadow though as it will change your character upon death. The holy mantle is also a must since it allows you to take one extra damage per room. Finally, if you gave 999 coins in the donation machines and unlocked the stop watch, finding it will slow every enemy down except for the masks linked to hearts.

For Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, a lot of restarting and praying to get the book of revelations at the first treasure room was the key since using it warrants a fight against the horseman corresponding to the floor as the boss. The real pain was having Conquest appear instead of Death in the womb since he gives you the white horse instead of a cube of meat or a ball of bandages.

Now that we know when Afterbirth is coming out, of the things announced, what has you the most hyped? From what I've seen on the BoI:R tumblr and the Pax preview, I feel most hyped over the Athame (Devil Deal item that creates a black aura of damage when hit), Diplopia (It's like Jera on crack, because it can double item pedestals), and the fact Rubber Cement can FINALLY synergize with Technology and Brimstone.

What do you guys think?