GamerKuma

Season 7 Episode 6 Forever Filly

Perhaps not the best of the sister relationship episodes, but sweet nonetheless. A fairly obvious moral from the beginning, and I feel it suffered for not having both of them come to the realization till the end. Sweetie Belle's explosion of frustration at the end was understandable, but I would have expected a more measured tone, especially since she's trying to argue for her growing maturity. (although what can you expect from the deliverer of the 'AW COME ON' line) Overall, not great, but it still had me smiling like a goof at the end.

Also Zippporwhill has probably the first cutie mark? So shes...REALLY good at owning dogs? If thats the case, welcome to a life of being really sad every decade or so.

• Like 3

I'd call Forever Filly the best episode of Season 7 so far. I was really pleased by parallel narrative it had between Zipporwhill and her dog with Rarity and Sweetie Belle, and I enjoyed the characterization between both parties. I was happy to see Sassy Saddles return in the episode too as well. From my first watch, I'd rate it easily an A if not an A+. I really enjoyed Forever Filly.

• Like 5

I can see your points, it just didn't resonate with me personally. I will agree the parallel story was a nice story telling touch. Personally, thus far, I enjoyed Rock Solid Friendship more.

• Like 1

If we go by textbook then yes the episode was very good, maybe even excellent. The two plots were good, characters were themselves, passion and feels for all...

And yet it wasn't that great for me personally. Mostly because I could see from mile away what was going to happen and bit of me cringed every time Sweetie just said nothing to Rarity and every time Rarity failed to see that Sweetie was not having a good time. I can see people liking this because I am sure everyone who was a teenager was in Sweeties horseshoes and some might even know what Rarity was feeling. 

Also the B plot was a bit silly to me. While it was great that it related to A plot, I kinda had hard time to believe that an actual dog would act like that. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the expression "You can't teach an old dog a new tricks" is completely baseless.

I can see it is a good episode but I can't say I enjoyed it like the episodes so far with exception of the Fluttershy episode from before.

• Like 4

@Nuke87654 

I really liked this episode, too! (And not just because, I'm a fan of Rarity & Sweetie Belle episodes.)

I liked how the two plots fit together and I thought both stories ended adorably. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GamerKuma said:

Also Zippporwhill has probably the first cutie mark? So shes...REALLY good at owning dogs? If thats the case, welcome to a life of being really sad every decade or so.

If that were so, Fluttershy would just be "REALLY good at owning butterflies."

I think it simply represents being good with animals.

• Like 2

Just now, Anti-Villain said:

If that were so, Fluttershy would just be "REALLY good at owning butterflies."

I think it simply represents being good with animals.

I hear ya. I just thought the explanation was funny. She found a dog, and boom, cutie mark. If it works like that, can I get sushi cutie mark?

• Like 2

I liked this episode. I liked how Rarity was able to accept that Sweetie Belle was getting older and how the CMC helped Zipporwhill with her dog. The ending was also nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I liked this episode. I liked how Rarity was able to accept that Sweetie Belle was getting older and how the CMC helped Zipporwhill with her dog. The ending was also nice.

I think Applejack has already done similar with Applebloom in Somepony to Watch Over Me....wait, that was 3 seasons ago in S4. Great Celestia. :celestia:

I guess that leaves Scoots. :giddy:

6 minutes ago, BlackWater said:

I think Applejack has already done similar with Applebloom in Somepony to Watch Over Me

I personally think this episode was better than Somepony to Watch Over Me only because I think Applejack was a bit too obsessive. I can understand her being worried about Apple Bloom being home alone, but she didn't need to do stuff like check on her every 5 seconds while she (not actually) slept.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I personally think this episode was better than Somepony to Watch Over Me only because I think Applejack was a bit too obsessive. I can understand her being worried about Apple Bloom being home alone, but she didn't need to do stuff like check on her every 5 seconds while she (not actually) slept.

Agreed. I did like this episode better too but then Rarity might be higher in my favorite pony list and her outfits were to die for. :sweetieyes:

On 5/6/2017 at 5:19 PM, GamerKuma said:

I hear ya. I just thought the explanation was funny. She found a dog, and boom, cutie mark. If it works like that, can I get sushi cutie mark?

Only Sunset Shimmer can get a sushi cutie mark...on top of her sun cutie mark. :ajlol:

• Like 1

Personally, I did think this episode was very sweet, and definitely enjoyed it more than the previous two episodes. My only real complaint was how long it took Rarity to process that Sweetie Belle wasn't really enjoying herself. I think it would have worked a little better if Rarity had noticed each time that Sweetie Belle had grown past the activity in question, building up to the confrontation near the end.

• Like 1

Well, it was really good, but i feel Rarity was acting out of character. But when i think about it, she does not... :suspicious:

I mean, she always was a drama queen, right? And the fact that she didn't do anything with Sweetie in like months makes sense. ....yeah.

She was ok.

Yeh.

The episode was nothing that made me fell out of my chair, but it was really good and i liked it. 4/5

• Like 2

Well one could argue that being completely blind towards Sweetie's feelings was a bit out of character for Rarity. She is supposed to be the member of mane six that is good at socializing. Sweetie was hardly being subtle about the whole thing. Of course it was exaggerated to comedic level for the purpose of being funny so it was intentional decision.

Honestly I would rather call dog out of character of all the characters in the episode.  

• Like 2

I don't know that I would necessarily agree that Rarity was out of character in this episode. In the past, when Rarity gets particularly emotional about something she has a tendency to fail to pick up on the emotions of others, a good example of which would be S1E20 Green Isn't You're Color. Here, the notion that she was reconnecting with her little sister overwhelmed Rarity to the point that she failed to process that Sweetie Belle had outgrown the activities she had picked out, at least until Sweetie Belle finally spelled things out for her.

• Like 1

We now return to your regularly scheduled viewer discretion warning...

Honestly there's not much for me to say about this one either.

Rarity's flair for the dramatic gets me every time. :awesomecheer:

The lesson here is something that everyone can probably speak with experience from but also kind of a 'common sense' lesson too. Not that it really detracted from the show or the lesson itself. Still though. It just felt like 'common sense' to me.

Everyone grows up and likes different things then they did when they were kids. Though admittedly there are still some things I like that I liked as a kid. The most obvious examples being Pokemon, Animated Movies, etc.

But siblings, and really even parents, learn this at some point. That their 'baby' has grown up or isn't their 'little baby' anymore.

Either way the dress up part was actually pretty funny especially with the look on Sweetie's face during it. :happybonbon:

There's really not much else I can say about this one.

A somewhat okay episode overall I'd say. Once again not good enough for a 20% increase. However...

Current Status:

Stay: 50%
Leave: 50%

If this keeps up... maybe I won't quit after all? Nah. I still have a bad feeling... :flutterdear:

• Like 1

the message was conveyed well, I simply think SB's ageing up is done a little too fast. From elementary school kid to (almost) starting puberty is quite a leap

• Like 3

Finally managed to re-watch this episode (and the ones that came after)... And boy, did I love this one. What an amazing way to tell such a nice story. Kudos to DHX.

I think this episode is technically perfect, treats the characters in an endearing way and tells a nice story about something very relevant.

• Like 1

In the CMC's treehouse, there is a picture of Big Mac and Cheerilee. Does that mean that the CherriMac ship is confirmed?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChB said:

Hide contents

In the CMC's treehouse, there is a picuture of Big Mac and Cheerilee. Does that mean that the CherriMac ship is confirmed?

Nah, only that they ship it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChB said:
  Hide contents

In the CMC's treehouse, the CMC's pointed to pictures of ponies that got their cutie marks, thanks to them, and among them is a picture of Big Mac and Cheerilee, along. Huh? Those two already had cutie marks. Sure, the CMCs got them in a brief relationship in Hearts and Hooves Day, but that had nothing to do with getting cutie marks. 

CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SHIPPERS! YAAAAAAAAAAAY![/spolier]

• Like 2

A cute episode, though I expected something a bit more...well...heartwarming(though I can't blame them, Sisterhooves Social is hard to live up too :p)

Again it's a solid episode, but not one that really got any emotion out of me :P