PinkiePie97

Season 9, Episode 9: Sweet and Smoky

Title: Sweet and Smoky

Synopsis: Smolder returns to the Dragonlands with Spike and Fluttershy to help cheer up her sensitive brother, but when they arrive, they are surprised to discover another problem --the dragon eggs aren’t hatching.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 2

Alright. Episode 9.

As somebody who was never the biggest fan of Spike nor the dragons in the show i expect a pretty meh episode. Even more so when i comes right off the heels of arguebly one of the best episodes in the whole show.

Let's go.

Smolder BOOPS Spike. xD

Fluttershys face is just adorable.

maxresdefault.jpg

The smile song is an actual lesson? Wtf? xD

Fluttershy overall is adorable in this episode.

"Appledash" Was this an attempt at self awareness about ships?

Garble and his group must be some of the most generic bullies i've ever seen. (Maybe that's why they decided to make him Smolders brother and gave him an episode for some character developement)

"He's a marshmallow" So is Rarity. :/

Fluttershy didn't you get it, the eggs can't hear you! And if Dragons aren't in for touchy, feely stuff why didn't they bring Rainbow Dash along?

"Fluttershy is packing a whole lifetime of kindness" I kinda love this line.

Ember if you say dragons aren''t into touchy, feely stuff then why are you "cuchy cuchy cooing" them?

So apperently Garbles friends know nothing about the eggs and how important they are and got no warning whatsoever to not play around with lava while the eggs try to get hatched.

It wouldn't have surprised me if Garble dabbed during his little "performance".

If heat makes the eggs hatch that quickly why didn't they just put them in a bowl of lava or something?

So a pretty generic "give the bully some secret soft spot that the main characters can exploit to make him less of a bully, maybe even change his bully friends and give him some character developement" episode. Fluttershy kinda saved it from beeing a total meh.

6,5/10.

• Like 1

I was getting past the opening titles and was thinking "Wait, Garble's gonna be Smolder's brother, isn't he?" Sure enough, he was.

I'm guess Ember was trying to go the "cuchy cuchy coo" route because she was desperate due to Torch not giving her much instruction on how to get the eggs to hatch.

As for the episode itself, I think the concept is okay (Garble being a beat poet gave me a chuckle), but the way it was handled was, well, okay. It's one of those "could have been worse, but could have been better" episodes.

• Like 2

i thought this episode was ok, i mean for an episode with characters i'm not the biggest fan of i thought they did a pretty good job at portraying them.

story wise i thought this was a pretty nice lesson (i assume the moral is to be yourself and not be something your not just to have fake friends) but i find it annoying that the show has decided to redeem a cult leader, what ever discord is, and some random dragon bully but so fair has given Lightning Dust nothing but the middle finger so fair (even though she isn't all that different from s1 rainbow dash).

as for everything else, well i love how the facial expressions for this season are a lot more expressive than they where before (i mean that picture of fluttershy in leonbronies reply is a great example of this), it was kinda interesting seeing more from the dragons even if i don't really care for them and that's about it. 

i really feel like this episode was a 5/10 for me, would be a 4 or maybe 3.5 if it weren't for fluttershy. 

and one more thing... did the show really just reference appledash, :applebelch: i can already hear the appledash shippers screaming. 

• Like 1

A good one, I'd say. Solid 8/10.Some things to note:

1. Smolder's brother is Garble.

2. :yay:

3. Is...is Ember an AppleDash shipper?

4. :yay:

5. Did Spike mention Smile Song? I hope Pinka didn't copyright it XD

6. :yay: FLU :yay: TTER :yay: SHY! She has come such a long way and became much more assertive pony than she used to be. So much assertive...and TOO MUCH CUTE!

• Like 1

That was a good one. I really liked Amber in this one and the little tidbits about dragon lore.

But what I liked the most was how clever that ending was, tying together the two plots and how funny I thought Garble was. I didn't think that the moral was particularly good, but it was better than the other episode about bullies. MLP at its best.

And Amber. Celestia could take a few lessons from her.

• Like 1