GamerKuma

Season 7 Episode 7 Parental Glidance

Ok, quick post before my episode thoughts. 2 minutes in and theres an error. RD's dad calling Scootaloo a 'he' "Hes doing it again!" That or scootaloo is more of a tomboy than we gave her credit for.

• Like 2

Maybe he did say "he" but it is hard to hear from the high pitched screaming. RD Mother did refer to Scoots as "her". 

Anyway in short: I loved the episode. Was funny, it had feels, it had drama, it had Scootaloo. Even had tragedy even you kept your attention to the Derpy's progress. Though on a surprising front the Wonderbolts were very understanding to the Dash's plight. I honestly expected at least some friendly teasing. 

Now now the episode was not perfect and parents were really a bit TOO much at some points to the point of cringing. I can see them ruining the episode for some. Especially since you could say that they didn't learn their lesson and Dash took all the blame. Like a Champ she is.

The best part for me was the very end.

• Like 3

Alright. This is in my Top 3 of the season thus far. 
1. Rock Solid Friendship
2. All Bottled Up

3. Parental Glidance

I know lots of us have had to deal with overbearing parents sometimes. When maybe you wished, at times, they'd tone it down JUST a smidge. Or maybe many smidges. But they did an excellent job of having Dashie realize that without that support, even during her supposed failures, she'd never have the confidence she has today. Seeing the veritable shrine her parents have to their daughter was funny and not all together unbelievable (ask your parents, they probably still have kindergarten artwork of yours somewhere), and watching Scootaloo get to fangirl out was a treat.

Dashie's reaction to their attention mirrored, to me, Sweetie Belle's in Forever Filly, in fact the last half of the episode was very similar. Someone explodes at their overbearing out of touch care givers only to realize their mistake, explain and apologize. And I totally wasn't holding back some tears when she said that she was her parents' biggest fan.

Overall, I loved this episode. Now we just need the upcoming episode with AJ's parents and the gang will be all familied out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

Maybe he did say "he" but it is hard to hear from the high pitched screaming. RD Mother did refer to Scoots as "her". 

Anyway in short: I loved the episode. Was funny, it had feels, it had drama, it had Scootaloo. Even had tragedy even you kept your attention to the Derpy's progress. Though on a surprising front the Wonderbolts were very understanding to the Dash's plight. I honestly expected at least some friendly teasing. 

Now now the episode was not perfect and parents were really a bit TOO much at some points to the point of cringing. I can see them ruining the episode for some. Especially since you could say that they didn't learn their lesson and Dash took all the blame. Like a Champ she is.

The best part for me was the very end.

The Wonderbolts have an unfortunately poor history of bad characterization. Not in that they aren't fleshed out..which really they aren't that much..but they havent shown the best moral fiber. Willing to steal Dash from her team or turn on her with little evidence of wrong doing. So yeah, agreed that they were pretty chill with the parents. Id expect Spitfire to give her a verbal dressing down for that.

And im glad I wasn't the only one that feels it was a little cringy. Mostly during the Wonderbolts' show.

• Like 2

@GamerKuma
Wonderbolts are weird. They can switch from jerk to cool in span of a minute. And considering Dash out preformed hem so many times and that they had few fails like Rarity knocking them down and Giant Spike trapping them... Honestly at this point I express surprise when they are shown in favorable light.

And yeah it seems it isn't season 7 if there isn't some bit in the episode that isn't a bit cringe worthy.

• Like 4

@Cinder Vel 
True. That. I hope it's not a trend all the way through. Cringe humor usually has me looking away or even skipping scenes. I held it together for this one because I loved out much Scoots was in awe of them.

• Like 2

For me so far, it's:

1. Flurry of Emotions

2. All Bottled Up

3. Parental Glidance

4. Forever Filly

5. Rock Solid Friendship

6. Fluttershy Leans In

7. Celestial Advice

Interesting that this is the second time in a row that the seventh episode of a season would feature Rainbow Dash. At least this one put Dash in a better light.

Headcanon: I suspect that the reason Spitfire didn't intervene was because she thought that Dash was capable of getting things under control. Which she kind of did, I guess.

And yeah, I also wish the Wonderbolts had less douchey moments.

• Like 3

OH, another small point I liked, it gave people that maybe dont have supportive parents a character to connect with in Scootaloo!

While we dont know the extant of it, it sounds like her parents, at least, were pretty passive in their support of their child, id like to explore that story! Are they just very neutral in their support? Are they cynical of her pursuits? Are they outright abusive? Or are they supportive in just smaller ways compared to Dashie's? 

• Like 1

@WaterPulse

If that was Spitfire's thought process, and the writer's intent, good on them. Spitfire seemed for a long time like a jerk, someone that Dash idolized then would slowly learn wasn't worth the praise. If she's supposed to be tough but fair, this was a great decision on their part.

• Like 1

Parental Glidance is now my new favorite and best episode of Season 7. A really fantastic introduction for dashie's parents and some greater characterizations all around, along with that hidden story of derpy in the photos as @Cinder Vel mentioned. From what I saw at first, it's another A+ for me and probably could have a good chance of being in the top 3 best episodes ever in FIM.

• Like 5

This is also my number one favorite episode for this season thus far, just ahead of Rock Solid Friendship and All Bottled Up.  I thought they did a great job on this one and the kids and wife were cracking up with it too lol.

• Like 1

Parental Glideance = S7’s best episode so far.

There were so many things done well. The cringe humor was hilarious. The door joke = best joke of the season. Hothoof and Whistles cleverly subvert the restrained parent trope by remaining presently dedicated to their only daughter.

Also, perhaps the best moment of the season so far: Rainbow Dash's blowup at her parents is Putting Your Hoof Down's notorious berating scene done correctly.

PYHD: Fluttershy went after Rarity's and Pinkie's passions and reasons for living with a cruel-looking face. The way she said it and HOW she said gives the implication that Fluttershy was very deliberate in cutting into them very deep.

PG: Here, Rainbow Dash blew up, because Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistle went overboard, and she was at her limit. Rather than attacking them personally, she addressed their rude behavior. While what she said and how she said it were absolutely wrong, her reasons were understandable. In addition, Rainbow Dash immediately regretted what she said and wanted to make things right.

• Like 2

I'm not sure, but this was maybe the first Wonderbolt episode with likable Wonderbolds without exception. Actually it's the first episode when you notice for real, that Rainbow Dash has achieved her big goal. A real member, not an recruit or newbie anymore.

First Fluttershy, now Rainbow Dash. If only Royal Problem wouldn't be a mess for Celestia, this season already would be a success in my character biased opinion. Though, it looks very bad for her right now. I wish the writer of Parental Glideance would be the writer of it as well. He seems to know what he's doing. 

Loved this episode. Rainbow's parentes are completely different from what I imagined and I love them.

I just want to add that I think that this season is doing very well for my tastes. Mostly because all the parts involved in the conflict have some reason for what they're doing and it's always shown in an endearing way, instead of some black and white contrast.

• Like 2

I thought it was alright. To be honest, I don't blame Rainbow Dash for snapping at her parents like that. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to support her at all, but I do think they were getting a bit obsessive (seriously, what's so special about hanging a towel?). I think I would've liked the episode better if Rainbow Dash's parents admitted to taking it a bit too far, but I am glad she at least made up with them.

I will say that they're probably where she got her self confidence from. It was exactly what I was thinking when they started showing Scootaloo their own Rainbow Dash memorabilia.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 0:26 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Loved this episode. Rainbow's parentes are completely different from what I imagined and I love them.

I just want to add that I think that this season is doing very well for my tastes. Mostly because all the parts involved in the conflict have some reason for what they're doing and it's always shown in an endearing way, instead of some black and white contrast.

I know right? Didn't see RD's parents being that way but it makes sense. As for the season, going real solid so far so totally agreed! The issues have been grounded in situations and feelings that happen in real life and I'd say all of us have been in at least one of the situations before. If it's not true at this point then likely by the time the season is over.  :happybonbon:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I thought it was alright. To be honest, I don't blame Rainbow Dash for snapping at her parents like that. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to support her at all, but I do think they were getting a bit obsessive (seriously, what's so special about hanging a towel?). I think I would've liked the episode better if Rainbow Dash's parents admitted to taking it a bit too far, but I am glad she at least made up with them.

I will say that they're probably where she got her self confidence from. It was exactly what I was thinking when they started showing Scootaloo their own Rainbow Dash memorabilia.

My thoughts exactly! Although the episode was really funny and gave me more than one good laugh, I think the story could have done better on the part of the parents. 

Look at the chalkboard. Cheerilee is already teaching her students Electromagnetism and Vector Calculus! :o 

full.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChB said:

My thoughts exactly! Although the episode was really funny and gave me more than one good laugh, I think the story could have done better on the part of the parents. 

Hide contents

Look at the chalkboard. Cheerilee is already teaching her students Electromagnetism and Vector Calculus! :o 

full.jpeg

Makes sense to me! Celestia is teaching kindergarten ponies... 

:ajlol:

• Like 1

Here we go again. With yet another viewer discretion warning. But... maybe not so warranted this time. Just in case though.

Have I mentioned I LOVE character development and character backstory? Even if I have I'll say it again. I LOVE ME some character development and character backstory. :gleepony:

We finally got to meet Rainbow Dash's parents. Also... I'm glad Scootaloo looks up to Rainbow Dash and all... but... with all the pictures she was taking... it just felt... more stalker-ish to me instead of her being an inspiration to her. Could just be me though. Not that it made me hate this episode or anything.

There were LOTS of funny moments in this episode that made me laugh quite loudly and applaud. It was just full of hilarity. :happybonbon:

The lesson was also a sort of another easily relatable lesson. I think everyone has had their fair share of 'embarrassing parent' moments and the same could be said for parents with 'embarrassing child' moments.

It's always to good to have parents who support you in your dreams and goals. It's also good for them to continuously support you so you can keep going even when the going may get tough and it may seem impossible to achieve your dreams and goals. Parents are always there to support you and give you the support when you need it most so you never give up in achieving your dreams.

That's pretty much what this episode was about. Rainbow Dash's parents were just the greatest in this episode. The problem was obvious and I liked that we got more Rainbow Dash character development.

Not surprisingly the lesson was nailed when Rainbow Dash's parents felt embarrassed when Rainbow Dash tried to make it up to them for yelling at them.

Also the bit at the end with the same support for Scootaloo when she gave her report was just GREAT and tied it all together. It actually saddened me to hear that Scootaloo doesn't have that same support. Looks like either her parents are jerks or maybe fan-canon is correct and she doesn't have parents? Maybe we'll find that out eventually as well.

Either way... I just REALLY loved this episode. ALL OF IT. It was just AMAZING.

10% increase to stay just didn't cut it. Guess what everyone?

Current Status:

Stay: 70%
Leave: 30%

Yep. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing? Though... my bad feeling hasn't really changed unfortunately. It's basically become a 'wait and see' situation at this point. Still though. It's getting better. Slowly and surely.

:yay: