PinkiePie97

Season 9, Episode 12: The Last Crusade

Title: The Last Crusade

Synopsis: Unexpected visitors to Ponyville threaten to break up the Cutie Mark Crusaders forever!

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 2

Quite enjoyed this episode, it was my favourite CMC episode because it was nice to see Scootaloo (finally) have an episode about her, and i love just seeing what the CMC will try to do to keep Scoot's in ponyville. This i think was the first episode of the season where i couldn't predict was will happen next (i knew Scoot wouldn't leave ponyville but i didn't know how the CMC would make that happen.). :pwease:

My only real annoyance was that i feel like the ending was kinda lame, i mean it was all a little to covenant that Scootaloo's Aunts managed to buy a house just so Scootaloo had family to live with.  :applebelch:

Also i would like to address one more thing, this might be a minor detail to most, but, as an Australian i am so happy that the show FINALLY HAS AUSTRALIAN PONIES HOLY CRAP! SCOOTALOO IS HALF AUSTRALIAN AND HER DAD IS THE PONY VERSION OF STEVEN IRWIN (only his not dead... Unlike Applebloom's father) I AM SO SHOOK!. And wow one of her Aunt's is also Australian (and is of course related to her dad) but her accent sounds a little off, I assume the voice actress isn't an Australian (i know Scoot's dad is voiced by an Australian).

overall i will give this episode a 8/10, mostly because i couldn't of predicated where the story was going, and we got both LGBT+ rep and Australian rep in this episode. 

• Like 1

Alright. Episode 12.

I'm going into this episode with a bit of a bad feeling in my stomach because a good friend told me that he heard bad things about the episode and before that i was scrolling through mlp news and saw "Mlp introduces it's first lesbian couple in S9 episode 12!" and i was just like "What?". I really hope that's not gonna cause any major backlash or fan outrage or has any bad effect on the show or characters, because in recent months, everytime a tv-show or movie or anything by that matter tries to shove in those LGBT things it never ends well. Current prime example seems to be Captain Marvel (which i still haven't seen at this point but heard a lot of bad things about, sadly).

Alright, then let's see what this episode has to offer.

Uhh, the first time cutie marks have been mentioned in a long time. Nice.

Are those British or Australian accents? Noice.

How did the cage get right in front of the door before and after the crocodile broke into the classroom? Why even let it get that far instead of stopping it outside or securing the cage properly?

Scootaloos father doesn't even have a scar in his face. Sooo, i guess it was a bit made up?

Rainbow Dash made them stop crying quick though.

I almost expected the CmC to fuse after they took a few drops of Zecoras potion.

What was that dramatic camera spin after Sweety belle said "Our job is to help find other ponies purpose."?

Kinda a strech how the CmC managed to convince EVERYONE to help them and prepared all of it in time in one day.

Why was that key glowing?

Aaaaand we seem to got ourselves two new characters which seem to be a lesbian couple. If they're ever gonna be important for another episode anyway.

Uhh. This episode was okay, i guess? I don't really have an opinion on it? And those supposedly lesbian character didn't even need to be lesbian at all. They could have just been sisters or friends or related and nothing would have changed. Aside from their decent designs and nice accents i didn't really care for them.

The episode is just there imo. It's not good, it's not bad. I give it a 6/10. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonbrony17 said:

Kinda a strech how the CmC managed to convince EVERYONE to help them and prepared all of it in time in one day.

I assumed rainbow dash did most of the convincing since she's fast and everyone likes her. :pwease:

2 hours ago, Leonbrony17 said:

And those supposedly lesbian character didn't even need to be lesbian at all. They could have just been sisters or friends or related and nothing would have changed. Aside from their decent designs and nice accents i didn't really care for them.

Ok but why is it that we just accept straight couples (not counting Big mac and Sugar Belle because that upset quite a few people) that get thrown in the show like it's no big deal but question the heck out of gay couples that get thrown in? :eyebrow:

It's ok if you don't care for them but for LGBT+ people like me it's important that shows throw in LGBT+ characters into shows like they do with CisHet characters, because it's about time we where treated the same instead of being treated like freaks of nature.

I hope that in tens years time we will treat LGBT+ characters no different to CisHet characters, at least in the western world because i doubt every country will be accenting of us folk.  

• Like 1

@DoodleDot I hope i didn't come off as anti LGBT, because i'm not but if i kinda came off as that, i'm sorry.

I have nothing against the lesbian couple they introduced with this episode and i have nothing against LGBT people and people who support it. But i do have something against people the forcefully try to shove their opinions and viewpoints down my throat and attack me for having my own opinions and disagreeing with them. That goes for anything. If somebody attacks and insults me for not liking or seeing eye to eye with them on their favorite character, or show or movie, that person is a bad person.

But here's a little thought provoking question. I could be very wrong about that, but walk and look around in the village or city or whereever you're living at the moment. What do you think are you gonna come across more? Straight people and couples or LGBT people and couples? You might come across a decent amount of LGBT people depending on where you're living but i assume you would come across more straight people and couples because there are simply more straight people on the planet than LGBT people. Straight people have always been more commonly present and the majority in real life and in media almost everywhere. And since LGBT people are less commonly seen in most of our daily lives of course we react a bit surprised when we see a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transexual couple or person since we haven't been used to see such people everywhere and all day during our whole lives. If i would see a LGBT person in real life or here i would be a bit surprised but i wouldn't mind it or look down on them because they're just people like me.

The things that aren't good are straight people that attack LGBT people for what they think and forcefully shove their opinions into everything and it's out of place and LGBT people that attack straight people for what they think and forcefully shove their opinions into everything and it's out of place.

With so many recent tv-shows and movies trying to awkwardly shove in those SJW and LGBT things into everything and in that process ruining perfectly fine products and mindlessly attacking certain groups of people i got a bit nervous that mlp might get affected by this as well when i read the news and saw "Mlp introduces it's first lesbian couple in S9 episode 12". BUT IT DIDN'T. The episode and characters didn't go out of their way to specifically focus on the lesbian couple, they were just there and nothing upsetting happened in the episode. The characters and episode itself were completly fine. The only things that are a bit questionable, but not in a bad way, to me at least are why did those characters had to be lesbian and why introduce such characters now when the shows is as good as over unless you're planning on giving them big, important roles and moments and while so many things in media get bashed for mindlessy shoving in LGBT stuff and trying to attack straight people? Unless they have plans for a future episode about them, the couple beeing specifically lesbian didn't do anything big for the plot or characters in this episode. They could have just been friends, related and nothing in the episode would have changed. It's a similar thing with the Sandbar and Yona shit, ähhhh i mean ship. Why introduce such implications or plans 20 episodes before the whole show ends and make people go like "Ahhhhh there's probably gonna be a ship in the future". What future? The show ends in around 15 episodes from now on and unless you plan on bringing us more episodes or countless cameos that go further with that there is no future for such a thing.

I don't wanna turn this topic into a LGBT and SJW rant. But it's somewhat confusing to me how some people can be so touchy and borderline aggresively vocal about that topic, unless they have personal experience to back their stances up.

There are and probably, sadly always will be people who attack and don't accept LGBT people and such people can be sacks of shit if they go too far with beeing against LGBT people. But the same goes for anything else.

I also don't wanna come off as agressive or hostile towards you. If i somewhat did that, i'm sorry. I have NOTHING against you, you're a good and really nice person.

Also, i didn't know people were pissed at the Big Mac and Sugar Belle ship (which i also missed the episode of by the way xD). My only guess is that Cherry Lee should have been the first choice? But if not, can you explain it to me, please?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Alpha Runner said:

There isn't any real life job like scootalo's parents, is there?

Those guys from TV who go to Africa and Australia and stuff and study animals and shit? Like that one guy who got stung by an underwater whatever and died on camera? Steve Irwin.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leonbrony17 said:

But here's a little thought provoking question. I could be very wrong about that, but walk and look around in the village or city or whereever you're living at the moment. What do you think are you gonna come across more? Straight people and couples or LGBT people and couples? You might come across a decent amount of LGBT people depending on where you're living but i assume you would come across more straight people and couples because there are simply more straight people on the planet than LGBT people.

The thing with this question is that being LGBT+ isn't something you can just see like race. Mainly because society is still rather homophobic and transphobic many people are ether still in the closet or are just unaware of their identity due to a lack of education on their identity (for example i didn't know trans was a thing until i was 15, but once i did i felt less confused about my gender). 

Straight people have always been more commonly present and the majority in real life and in media almost everywhere. And since LGBT people are less commonly seen in most of our daily lives of course we react a bit surprised when we see a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transexual couple or person since we haven't been used to see such people everywhere and all day during our whole lives. If i would see a LGBT person in real life or here i would be a bit surprised but i wouldn't mind it or look down on them because they're just people like me.

Well i'm glad you don't look down on us folk but many still do and most of that is because of the lack of rep in the media. With very little LGBT+ characters in media, many who are not LGBT+ tend to assume the worst of us because they simply know very little about us. I don't hate them (even though they hate me) but instead wish they had seen good examples of LGBT+ people and therefore see us as equals.  

With so many recent tv-shows and movies trying to awkwardly shove in those SJW and LGBT things into everything and in that process ruining perfectly fine products and mindlessly attacking certain groups of people i got a bit nervous that mlp might get affected by this as well when i read the news and saw "Mlp introduces it's first lesbian couple in S9 episode 12". BUT IT DIDN'T.

Ok but how is having a few people of colour or LGBT+ charterers "ruining perfectly fine products"? And why doesn't Scoot's aunt's come across as SJW bullshit to you? Would come across as sjw bullshit if they kissed? I am not attacking just curious since i personally don't see a problem with shows having more LGBT+/POC characters, in fact i think we need more. 

The only things that are a bit questionable, but not in a bad way, to me at least are why did those characters had to be lesbian and why introduce such characters now when the shows is as good as over unless you're planning on giving them big, important roles and moments and while so many things in media get bashed for mindlessy shoving in LGBT stuff and trying to attack straight people? Unless they have plans for a future episode about them, the couple beeing specifically lesbian didn't do anything big for the plot or characters in this episode.

Honestly i to wondered why they added in lesbians so late in the show but after watching the episode it kinda made sense. Sure Aunt holiday could of had a stallionfriend instead of a marefriend but ether way she and her brother add to the story but giving scootaloo relatives. Is it a big part of the story? No, not even the CMC are a big part of the story, let alone the family of Scootaloo (since she's the only one not related to a mane six pony). But it still adds to the story none the less. The only difference people wouldn't lose their crap over Aunt Holiday being with a stallion because that's "normal". 

Also how do LGBT+ characters being in shows attack straight people? I'm sorry but i don't see how straight people are being hurt by the inclusion of LGBT+ characters. 

They could have just been friends, related and nothing in the episode would have changed.

That's a good point and honestly your right, nothing would be different story wise. But by having them be Lesbians that's the show's way of saying "hay we see LGBT+ people as valid".

In other words asking why Aunt Holiday is gay is the same as asking why she has an Australian accent. Yes she could of sounded "normal" (American) and nothing would change, but she doesn't and as an Australian i am happy to see a the show have two Aussie characters since Australian are also rarely seen in non-Australian media. 

I don't wanna turn this topic into a LGBT and SJW rant. But it's somewhat confusing to me how some people can be so touchy and borderline aggresively vocal about that topic, unless they have personal experience to back their stances up.

There are and probably, sadly always will be people who attack and don't accept LGBT people and such people can be sacks of shit if they go too far with beeing against LGBT people. But the same goes for anything else.

I try my best to not be aggressive, but it can be hard when you are seen as "different" and sometimes "wrong". The hate people have may not seem like much but has made me try to "fix" myself or worse many times. Sure their may always be anti-LGBT+ types by i don't think that means we shouldn't try to accept LGBT+ people. But i do understand your point about not agreeing with extremists and i do have to agree with that. 

I also don't wanna come off as agressive or hostile towards you. If i somewhat did that, i'm sorry. I have NOTHING against you, you're a good and really nice person.

Don't worry you didn't come across as aggressive or hostile at all. In fact your rather respectful (even if you can't relate), which is more than what some LGBT+ people have done when i talked to them about similar topics. Also i am glad you think i am nice, i think you're pretty nice too.

Also, i didn't know people were pissed at the Big Mac and Sugar Belle ship (which i also missed the episode of by the way xD). My only guess is that Cherry Lee should have been the first choice? But if not, can you explain it to me, please?

Oh boy... the whole Big mac and Sugar belle thing is quite the conversation. long story short, the show had hinted at Big mac getting with Marble pie (the shy pie sister) a few seasons ago (season 5 or 6 i think) but in season 8 they randomly made SugarMac canon (because the CMC swore Mac had feelings for her and made him admit his feelings). This (of course) upset quite a few fans, ether because their ship was ruined (ships such as CherrMac, FlutterMac and MarbleMac) or because they aren't shippers and thought it was just a load of shit. 

• Like 1

I love the cutie mark out of this episode! It showed me no mercy.

- Scoot's parents

- Scoot's aunts

- Cuteness

- Sadness

- FEELS!

Maybe would be braver to actually separate them, but I honestly think it would make more sense to be part of finale, I don't know.

Other than that, FAN -freaking- TASTIC!

12/10!

P.S: now we just need Cutealoo gain her flight ability and we are not just golden, platinum!

• Like 3

Hmm... This episode... Tsk... It was a nice idea but I think the execution fell flat.

If it only existed to get Scoot's parents out of the way and introduce her aunts, it would've worked well enough. But it both introduces and ditches her parents, introduces her aunts and completely glosses over her parents feeling for her because the episode didn't have time for that. When Scootaloo said they were forcing her to choose, it felt bland. The cartoon simply didn't earn that with a couple of characters it had just introduced.

It also frustrates me that the cartoon manages to make more of a deal about the CMC breaking up because one of them would move out than it does about Celestia and Luna retiring. The CMC crying felt petty and the whole deal the town made felt contrived.

I didn't like Scootaloo's aunts either. Not because the cartoon was taking a stance in the same-gender couples issue, but because it felt pandering. With little to no impact in the whole thing. If they wanted to do this right, they should've done it with Starlight Glimmer and Trixie, for example. They are both beloved characters, with a great chemistry we saw grow as we witnessed their relationship develop. Not to mention that the conflict within their relationship in the past episode was very important to the story. It's just better storytelling.

Mind you all, I'm not complaining that the cartoon has taken an stance for the acceptance of same sex couples. What I'm saying is that it had both the knife and the cheese to make a much more engaging story. For example, if they were hurting for an excuse to do that, they could've thrown that over Celestia's shoulders, because on the next episode the cartoon shies away from anything remotely political in an episode that should've made an issue of the importance of good leadership.